Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Luna in Ravenclaw?

Old May 13th, 2007, 12:36 am
Third Year

Re: Luna in Ravenclaw?

I think that Luna is probaly an intelligent girl but we do not know about her grades or stuff because she isn't in Gryffindor. I belive that she is really smart and that she has a very great imagination and her personality is very unique. She isn'tlike Hermione. I love her.

Vincent Van Gogh: Hold my hand, Doctor. Try to see what I see. We're so lucky we're still alive to see this beautiful world. Look at the sky. It's not dark and black, without character. The black is in fact deep blue. And over there, lighter blue. And blue and through the blueness and the blackness, the wind swirling through the air. And then shining, burning, bursting through through the stars. And you see how they throw their light. Everywhere we look, complex magic of nature blazes before our eyes.

The Doctor: I've seen many things, my friend, but you're right. Nothing... quite as wonderful as the things you see.
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2007, 9:34 pm
First Year

I think the bravest thing you can do as a teenager is to go against what everyone else thinks is right. Luna does this.

Old June 27th, 2007, 10:47 pm
Third Year

I belive that Luna is smarter then she leads us to be. She is proably also a great thinker like a philophser

Vincent Van Gogh: Hold my hand, Doctor. Try to see what I see. We're so lucky we're still alive to see this beautiful world. Look at the sky. It's not dark and black, without character. The black is in fact deep blue. And over there, lighter blue. And blue and through the blueness and the blackness, the wind swirling through the air. And then shining, burning, bursting through through the stars. And you see how they throw their light. Everywhere we look, complex magic of nature blazes before our eyes.

The Doctor: I've seen many things, my friend, but you're right. Nothing... quite as wonderful as the things you see.
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:48 am
Second Year

I disagree with you completely. Luna is by no means not intelligent. I think her mind is just vastly different than the normal mind. She has proven on many occasions she is very observant, even if she provides such information in trivial manners.

Old June 28th, 2007, 1:02 am
First Year

I think she is a very deep thinker but she just doesnt show it that much. Or shes not a great thinker in the way we normal ppl think.

Old June 28th, 2007, 4:01 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book_Worm_07 View Post
I think she is a very deep thinker but she just doesnt show it that much. Or shes not a great thinker in the way we normal ppl think.
A lot of the greatest thinkers in history don't seem to have thought "like other people think". Some examples of thinkers of this sort are Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Eddison, Albert Einstien, Jane Goodall.

I think part of why we are having this conversation is that we live in a society that equates intelligence with high test scores and academic success (i.e. Hermione Style intelligence) there is a ton of evidence for other models of high intelligence.

I also think that Luna is braver then many Gryffindors the same way Hermione is smarter then many Ravenclaws. However, Luna's bravery or Hermione's smarts are not their most important traits. What that means is you have two exceptional young women.

All the Best,

Lunatic

Last edited by Lunatic; June 28th, 2007 at 4:04 am.
Old June 28th, 2007, 7:06 am
Second Year

as you can see people are not always put in houses that is most logical for example hermione if she is the smartest person in her year then why isnt she in ravenclaw? maybe luna has a different kind of mind that the sorting hat saw like her ability to imagine and think outside the box.

i love it!
Old August 15th, 2007, 1:17 am
Second Year

I think Luna is a very intelligent person. She is a dreamer, with a vivid imagination and looks things in a complex and unusual manner. All of these things make it clear to me that she is well-placed in Ravenclaw.

52% Obsessed with Harry Potter.
(take the quiz )

WOMBAT: Level 1=E, Level 2=E, Level 3=E.
PROUD GRYFFINDOR!

Old August 15th, 2007, 8:37 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsweasley51490 View Post
as you can see people are not always put in houses that is most logical for example hermione if she is the smartest person in her year then why isnt she in ravenclaw?.
Because Hermione is easily as brave as she is smart.

You might also say she should be a Hufflepuff - noone showed more loyalty during this series than her.

But the Sorting Hat had to identify what her key characteristc is: and despite her obvious love of studying, her key trait lies in her heart not her head.

I like Luna as a Ravenclaw - she is definetly a thinker. The word "intelligence" refers to a lot of aspects, but is different from knowledge (which is more encyclopedic) - Luna has intelligence in spades. Clearly she *could* have been a Gryffindor... but is very well suited in her current house.

Old August 16th, 2007, 2:38 am
Third Year

Abstract thinking, though completely unconventional, is a trait that Rowena would greatly admire.

Dec. 31, 1927 - born.
1943-1944 - opens Chamber of Secrets, kills dad and grandparents
1944 - Creates first Horcrux
1971-1981 - Goes public, decimates Wizarding world
1995 - Reborn
Old August 16th, 2007, 2:59 am
Third Year

What people tend to forget about the houses is that the hat chooses based on a what is a person's greatest attribute, or what they're main personality point is, and also what they're interests are. A person is not wholly defined by just one thing, a person can be brave and smart, down to earth but courageous, ambitious and willing to work hard. Houses define what a person's true self is, what they enjoy, what they want to strive for more than anything. Luna is brave but she doesn't want to be a warrior. Out of all her attributes and faults the thing that she chooses to act on the most is her brain, she loves to think up wild ideas and study odd theories and specimens of fantastic beasts. She uses her imagination, creativity and logical reasoning to create her life and that is why she's in Ravenclaw. The same thing can be said for Hermione, Hermione is smart but the point is that her bravery is what she chooses to act on. There have been many times throughout the story that had she gone by the books or by logic she would have been in trouble but she choses to be brave and stand by Harry and Ron instead and that is why she is in Gryffindor. It's the part of the person's personalily and attributes that they choose to act upon that defines the quality of the house they belong to. That's why so many Slytherin's go bad because they choose to act on the qualities that define Slytherin like greed and cunning and high ambition. Luna belongs in Ravenclaw, no doubt about it.

Old August 16th, 2007, 3:33 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by katishere View Post
What people tend to forget about the houses is that the hat chooses based on a what is a person's greatest attribute, or what they're main personality point is, and also what they're interests are. A person is not wholly defined by just one thing, a person can be brave and smart, down to earth but courageous, ambitious and willing to work hard. Houses define what a person's true self is, what they enjoy, what they want to strive for more than anything. Luna is brave but she doesn't want to be a warrior. Out of all her attributes and faults the thing that she chooses to act on the most is her brain, she loves to think up wild ideas and study odd theories and specimens of fantastic beasts. She uses her imagination, creativity and logical reasoning to create her life and that is why she's in Ravenclaw. The same thing can be said for Hermione, Hermione is smart but the point is that her bravery is what she chooses to act on. There have been many times throughout the story that had she gone by the books or by logic she would have been in trouble but she choses to be brave and stand by Harry and Ron instead and that is why she is in Gryffindor. It's the part of the person's personalily and attributes that they choose to act upon that defines the quality of the house they belong to. That's why so many Slytherin's go bad because they choose to act on the qualities that define Slytherin like greed and cunning and high ambition. Luna belongs in Ravenclaw, no doubt about it.
Took the words right outta my mouth.

Old August 17th, 2007, 9:45 am
First Year

I didn't see her as unintelligent, or not suited for Ravenclaw at all. She doesn't have that Hermione sort of intelligence (obsessive studying), but I think she's more of an... introverted introspective intellectual sort. She's open-minded, and thinks and ponders on her own a lot. Very much the philosopher type. It's a different sort of smart from being bookish like Hermione.

Old August 17th, 2007, 11:48 pm
Third Year

I think that she is a very wise character, she doesnt alwasy necessarily show it but she certainly isnt unintelligent.

I'm Dumbledore's woman through and through. If you're with me, copy and paste this in your signature!
Old August 18th, 2007, 8:28 am
First Year

She struck me as someone who would rightfully belong in Hufflepuff because doesn't Hufflepuff take whoever else is left, the ones who are shunned away by everyone else? Isn't Luna shunned by everyone else?

Old August 18th, 2007, 10:42 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeorDeath View Post
I think the bravest thing you can do as a teenager is to go against what everyone else thinks is right. Luna does this.
But wouldn't that make her more Gryfindor material?

Old August 18th, 2007, 10:48 am
Second Year

"It's not our abilities that define who we are, but rather, our choices"

Old August 18th, 2007, 11:04 am
Second Year

I think Luna is very intelligent in her own feilds. She is wise and she has an open mind and thinks about things through.

I think you have to be intelligent to have an open mindso would fit in, in Ravenclaw.

She does have qualities of other houses but everybdy has a mix of qualities.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives