Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why did JKR feel it was necessary for us to know the Prime Minister of Britain?

Old February 3rd, 2007, 5:17 pm
I want to believe

Re: Why did JKR feel it was necessary for us to know the Prime Minister of Britain?

I also agree that it was to show us how Voldemort's campaign is influencing the muggles. We needed to see the Prime Minister to tie the wizarding world with the muggle world, to show that even though most muggles don't know of the existence of wizards, both worlds are interconnected and both feel the effects of Voldemort. But also, I think the Prime Minister was introduced because he may have a role in Deathly Hallows. After all, the war will likely continue to adversely affect the muggles, so the Prime Minister may show up again later on.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2007, 5:24 pm
Second Year

Re: Why did JKR feel it was necessary for us to know the Prime Minister of Britain?

personally, i think it was just a way to recap what was going on since the end of book 5. it told you what went on over the summer, and hinted to us that what happened in the magical world would effect the muggle world...

Old February 3rd, 2007, 5:55 pm
Second Year

I didn't really like this chapter, it was out of place when the questions of how JK Rowling's world of Harry Potter had never really been so directly addressed, and bringing in the PM just highlighted the problems of how it could never work.

The only purpose it seemed to serve was to let us know about the bad things that had been going on, but I'm sure that could have been done other ways.

Old February 3rd, 2007, 8:31 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
No, he wouldn't make peace with Voldermort. Scrimgeour has suffered greatly at the hands of Death Eaters, mark my words, if he gained power it would be out of good intent.
While I don't think that he will make peace with Voldemort, that does not rule out that he may be under the Imperius Curse, and could be the link into taking control of the Muggle Leadership...

It is also possible that because of Scrimgeour's suffering at the hands of Death Eaters he suffers from Stockholm Syndrome. He could have been tortured, and brainwashed into thinking that the DE and LV are the right way to go. COMPLETELY OFF THE WALL, and MOST LIKELY HORSE HOCKEY!!! (Disclaimer: Stockholm Syndrome is a bonafide mental diagnosis, and completely off topic, too!!!)

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 9:48 pm
Third Year

I posted my theory about events surrounding the Muggle Prime Minister over on the HeroSnape thread, but it fits here as well:

I believe that Voldemort had been planning an attack on the Muggle Prime Minister. Perhaps even to kill the PM and with his Death Eaters, take over the Muggle government. Snape, as LV's 'closest advisor,' was in on the plan. He took the details to DD and the Order (remember Charlie or one of the older Weasleys rolling up bldg blueprint plan in the kitchen at #12 as the kids enter the room? Could well have been the blueprints of #10 Downing Street, with Snape having showed them how and where Voldemort and the DEs were planning on getting in.) The Order tries to figure out what to do and they decide to post a guard very near #10 Downing to keep watch. Snape then goes back to Voldemort and EITHER #1: tells him the Order is on to the plan--Snape's thinking here would be that Voldemort would have to call off the raid. OR #2. Snape does not tell Voldemort that the Order knows about the plan-- some attempt is made by the DEs to get into #10 Downing and the Order guard, Emmaline Vance, is killed in the line of duty.

Snape is correct in his conversation with Bellatrix at Spinner's End, that his actions 'led to the death' of Emmaline, since it was he in the first place who alerted the Order, (who then stationed Emmaline where she ended up getting killed)

It all fits for me, particularly since the Order has now placed a powerful guard right INSIDE #10 Downing-- Kingsley Shacklebolt, who sits right outside the PM's office, acting as some sort of secretary. All of this put together, adds up to me as a plan by Voldemort to kill the Muggle PM, take over the govt. That plan was thwarted by Snape warning the Order.

"If you are prepared..."
"I am," said Snape.
Old February 4th, 2007, 1:18 am
Purveyor of Prophesy

Interesting, and it does answer multiple questions I had, especially concerning why Vance was whacked...and yes, Snape's answer about having a key hand in her death would fit in the way he worded it, therefore making it not a lie, but a truth of perspective.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old February 4th, 2007, 1:31 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post
While I don't think that he will make peace with Voldemort, that does not rule out that he may be under the Imperius Curse, and could be the link into taking control of the Muggle Leadership...

It is also possible that because of Scrimgeour's suffering at the hands of Death Eaters he suffers from Stockholm Syndrome. He could have been tortured, and brainwashed into thinking that the DE and LV are the right way to go. COMPLETELY OFF THE WALL, and MOST LIKELY HORSE HOCKEY!!! (Disclaimer: Stockholm Syndrome is a bonafide mental diagnosis, and completely off topic, too!!!)
Quite possible, I have thought it somewhat strange that someone who looked so noble was shamelessly begging Harry to come on board with his latest scheme. As I've said, this scene will increase in our estimations with the release of DH because a lot of people will be saying "Why's Rufus suddenly so evi? I never saw it coming!"
Well, don't say I never warned you. Didn't you lot see how contemptuous he was of the Prime Minister? How irritable? There are many reasons for this and only about two are good news.

Old February 4th, 2007, 1:54 am
Third Year

I think JKR felt it was necessary for us to know the muggle prime minister... because the the war with Voldemort is not only affecting the wizarding world but also the Muggle world and its posible that at some point in "Deathly Hallows" things will be getting really bad in both worlds that they will have work togather to help bring down Voldemort.......

Mcgonagall:Do you think it will work Severus?
Snape: Of course it will....The WB muggles will think this necklace is worth millions of dollars and they will grab it, Then the spell i casted will work and they will all turn into........
Mcgonagall:A bunch of babbling, bumbling band of baboons!....Now Hurry up and package it already!...Serves them right!.
Old February 4th, 2007, 2:39 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

That's a nicely thought out theory about how Vance got killed. JK is good at keeping the wording precise yet vague - I can't be the only one who thought that Vance was killed indoors, yet the book never said so. Vance stopping an attack on the PM or the junior minister definately fits.

I'll consider myself warned about Scrimgauer .

JK's first chapters in the books quite often have been about bringing readers up to speed quickly, although she's done it in a quite different manner these last 3 books.

First chapter book 7? Probably completely different than 1-6. Watch her break convention left and right :-P.

Old February 4th, 2007, 3:28 am
First Year

I realize Rufus' past, but I still don't put it past him - or at least members of his "Administration" - to genuinely put forth the idea of a truce and power sharing situation with Voldemort. I mean, NO one wants another big war, and a truce would shore up Scrimgeour's power.

Of course, we all know that Voldemort would allow this situation to persist only as long as he wants it to, and that his ultimate goal would be to completely take over. This would be an interesting plot twist, because it would then put the Order and any Order supporters in the role of a "rebellion" force against Voldemort and his new-found allies.

There is a historical precedence for this kind of thing, appeasing a tyrant by suggesting a truce and power sharing agreement. In 1938 then British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, in the hopes of appeasing Adolf Hitler, sued for peace and, in exchange, gave Hitler Czechoslovakia. Of course, we all know how that turned out...

Old February 4th, 2007, 3:54 am
First Year

I believe that JKR has said in an interview or on her website that some of these chapters have been on her mind for a long time and that she was finally able to write them into her book. I agree with the idea that chparadise posted. I think Kingsley is there to keep an eye on the Minister and to act as a spy in case LV decides to attack the Minister. I think that this chapter was meant to link the two worlds and that the fact that the Muggle Minister is aware of the Magical world will play a major role in Book 7.

Old February 4th, 2007, 4:03 am
Third Year

I think she really wanted to show her readers just how the magical world mixed with the muggle world. It kind of puts our own world into the book we all love. I personally enjoyed readign that chapter of the book, I thought it was interesting.

Old February 4th, 2007, 4:17 am
First Year

I agree. I believe it shows us how the two worlds should come together to fight an enemy that has no scruples and wants to take over the world. In other words, neither world will survive unless they can join forces against a common evil.

Old February 4th, 2007, 7:24 am
Second Year

Until I read this thread, I never really thought about the Other Minister as being a way of showing how the war was affecting the muggles.
I always saw it as a way of summerising everything that had happened in the books so far, telling us that Fudge has been forced to step down, and introducing the new minister. That was why I liked the chapter.

Did you ever notice that if you wanted to, you could read the books independtly and still have a decent idea as to what is going on?

Sorry for the spelling, i'm 1/2 asleep

Old February 5th, 2007, 2:04 am
Hogwarts Graduate

In all the books except the first, JKR has to write a sort of this-is-where-we-are chapter for people who didn't read the previous book or who don't remember it. I think this one is a very creative way of doing it. I also thought it was really funny; I quite enjoyed it.

We already knew that there were connections between the two governments because the MoM let the Muggle world know that Sirius had escaped from Azkaban. Here we see that relationship in more detail. It also shows us that the last few years have been more tumultuous than usual because of the greater number of visits from the MoM to the PM.

We don't see nearly as much of Scrimgeour in this chapter as we do later on, but this chapter did serve to let us know how it happened that Fudge was out and he was in--as well as telling us in general what magical havoc was going on. I don't think there's more to it than that.

Old February 5th, 2007, 2:19 am
Third Year

i think the main purpose of that chapter was mainly to show the incompetance of fudge and to introduce the new minister. and pretty much explain the story of pudge being sacked. but she also gave a muggle perspective on the wizrding war.

PRINCESS OF THE DA

*proud slytherin*

www.dumbledoresarmyda.org

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.
Mohandas Gandhi
Old February 5th, 2007, 3:26 am
First Year

I adored 'The Other Minister' chapter. I think it's purpose was to reveal how intertwined the two worlds really were. In the past, Fudge has made mentions of alerting the Muggle Prime Minister, but this made it a lot more real.

"Oh, come on. You heard them, just behind the veil, didnít you?"
Old February 5th, 2007, 4:37 am
Purveyor of Prophesy

True, there have been mentions of how the Ministry has contacted the Muggle Government, but it was not clear how. Now we realise that it was pretty much straight forward, without magical tricks to conceal the Wizarding World's existence to those who would otherwise be on "the-need-to-know".

Old February 5th, 2007, 2:49 pm
Third Year

I agree with those before me that suggest that JKR wants to show us how the war has reached beyond the wizarding world. In the inside cover of the hardback edition of HBP, it even mentions that the muggle world is getting hit by the war as well. It shows that everyone's in this together and no one is safe just because they aren't in the know about it.

Old February 5th, 2007, 8:32 pm
Student

I think the scene shows how the war/Voldemort is not only affecting thw wizarding world, but also the muggle world. It also shows how things in the magic world look like to muggles, like the fog.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives