Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

The Potters and their money, how and why were they so rich?

Old March 21st, 2007, 9:00 pm
Banned

Re: The Potters and their money, how and why were they so rich?

I have 2 thoughts about where James might of gotten the money

1st I think that he might of just inherited the money from a rich dead family member

but this one to me pops out more if you know what i mean

2nd I think that maybe he didnt have alot of money but it sat in the bank so long it colleted so much interest but thats if Gringotts has interst on there money

Matt

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2007, 9:29 pm
Second Year

This is a good point. We haven't really found out much about James and Lily's history, for some reason. I hope their professions (if they had them) will be announced somehow in DH. Or maybe they won the wizarding lottery, I don't know.

Mark.
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:17 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddSoup View Post
They might have delt "wizard drugs" -- or maybe not. You know, its a possibility.
Ya, that must be it.

Seriously though, it was probably family money. But if the Potters were pure bloods I don't think they were on very good terms with people like the Blacks or Malfoys. If the Blacks had considered the Potters "respectable" I'm sure there would've been some Potters on the Black family tree. Because there are so few pure-blood families left they are all disturbingly inbred with each other. This makes me think that the Potters were either blood traitors like the Weasleys or that they had a family tree with a few half bloods and muggle borns on it. If one of your grandparents if a half blood, but the rest of your family are pure bloods, are you considered a pure blood by wizard society at large? Probably. I could see this being the case with James or other Potters.
I also don't think that the Blacks, the Lestranges and the Malfoys are the only people in the wizarding world with money, or that all of the old, old pure-blood families have money, just look at the Gaunts.

As far as an occupation goes even with money from his family, I just can't see James sitting around doing nothing. James is pretty destructive when he's bored, as I'm sure Snape could tell you. Furthermore, in his school days, he managed to get straight As, be on the Quidditch team, become an animagus while hiding it from Dumbledore and still find time to explorer the secret passage ways of the school. But, I can't see James working for the ministry either. He got too much of a problem with authority. Besides, not everybody in a society can work for the government, unless its communism of course, but thats different. I don't know about Lily. I think she was probably employed or at least employed for a while. Again I'm going on a hunch here that Lily would not be content to be an idle housewife. Though, I could see her not working after her son was born since being the full time mother of a one year old is anything but relaxing.

Old March 21st, 2007, 10:28 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathlyHabitue View Post
Ya, that must be it.

Seriously though, it was probably family money. But if the Potters were pure bloods I don't think they were on very good terms with people like the Blacks or Malfoys. If the Blacks had considered the Potters "respectable" I'm sure there would've been some Potters on the Black family tree. Because there are so few pure-blood families left they are all disturbingly inbred with each other. This makes me think that the Potters were either blood traitors like the Weasleys or that they had a family tree with a few half bloods and muggle borns on it. If one of your grandparents if a half blood, but the rest of your family are pure bloods, are you considered a pure blood by wizard society at large? Probably. I could see this being the case with James or other Potters.
I also don't think that the Blacks, the Lestranges and the Malfoys are the only people in the wizarding world with money, or that all of the old, old pure-blood families have money, just look at the Gaunts.

As far as an occupation goes even with money from his family, I just can't see James sitting around doing nothing. James is pretty destructive when he's bored, as I'm sure Snape could tell you. Furthermore, in his school days, he managed to get straight As, be on the Quidditch team, become an animagus while hiding it from Dumbledore and still find time to explorer the secret passage ways of the school. But, I can't see James working for the ministry either. He got too much of a problem with authority. Besides, not everybody in a society can work for the government, unless its communism of course, but thats different. I don't know about Lily. I think she was probably employed or at least employed for a while. Again I'm going on a hunch here that Lily would not be content to be an idle housewife. Though, I could see her not working after her son was born since being the full time mother of a one year old is anything but relaxing.
There is a potter on the black family tree. Though I don't think this makes your wrong. I don't think the Potter where dark wizards so people like the Black family and the Malfoys probably didn't like them to much. Also the fact that there is a Potter and a Malfoy on the family tree means ... Malfoy and Harry are related(imaging being related to that little brat).

You can take a look at the tree here. I thought it was really cool(look for Charlus Potter).
http://www.hp-lexicon.org/wizards/blackfamilytree.html
It explains where the image came from on the site and everything. Isn't it a surprise that this wasn't a really big question for Harry to not only realize that Sirius was his godfather but a distant relative?

The fact that there is a Potter on the tree means your more than likely correct and alot of it is Potter family cash and then gold from thier jobs what ever that may be. I'm wondering if Lilly potter wasn't an unspeakable and worked in the Room of Love in the ministry.

Old March 21st, 2007, 10:51 pm
Fourth Year

I always thought James inheirited his money from his parents and that the Potter's were an old pureblooded family. I don't think that Dorea Black would have remained on the family tree if the potters were half blooded or muggle born. Andromeda was burnt off for marrying Ted Tonks who was a muggleborn

No words can describe the beauty of Australia

avatar thanks to m_kelbell on photobucket
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:03 pm
Second Year

I agree that a good bit of Harry's money was probably inherited from his father's family. We hear nothing about his Potter grandparents, so they probably died before he was born. The same is true of Lily's parents, since Petunia is Harry's only adult surviving blood relation. But James and Lily were both very talented magically, and presumably could earn money in any number of ways. It's not necessary for a talented witch or wizard to have a regular salaried job in order to make money.

James was an excellent seeker, and could have played Quiditch professionaly if he wanted to. He and his friends probably also sold joke items to the joke shop or independently while at Hogwarts like Fred and George. Lily was good at potions, and could have sold various potions to others. They could also have won some of their gold in various contests, like Harry did in "Goblet of Fire".

Also Dumbledore said that the Order would take care of the Weasley children if anything were to happen Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. One can assume that this was a well established policy that was in force when the Potters were in the Order too. ( Which would account for Harry's full scholarship to Hogwarts.) Also there may have been some kind of bounty available for defeating Voldemort, which would have gone to Harry when Voldemort disappeared.

Last edited by Quickquill; March 21st, 2007 at 11:36 pm.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 2:10 pm
Fifth Year

Well I think I read sopmewhere that JK said that Lily had a job and it would become important in DH.

Old March 22nd, 2007, 4:55 pm
Fourth Year

ok - I could be wrong... but I don't think James had a "job" if you parallel James (or the Malfoys, Blacks, Lestranges etc) to English(British) aristocracy then it is not necessary to have an ongoing salaried job. However, I do think he worked. I think he worked on an as needed basis and not necessarily for the money. This working as needed would be very beneficial to the Order because it kept him available.

From what I understand about Lily she was raised in an affluent but working class family (Petunia's obsessions seem to indicate this with her need to be perceived as being "well-off"). I therefore speculate that Lily probably had a strong work ethic and actually wasn't like Petunia and didn't wish to be a "kept woman" ( just think how this would get up Petunia's nose, but I digress). Lily had a sense of using her powers for the good and I think her "job" choice would have been strongly guided by Dumbledore and her talents... how many times have we heard of her talents as a potion maker etc. I could see her in a "lab" in the DOM/St Mungos working on cures or the like myself. This would put her in the loop to hear about things going on in the ministry but also working with her obvious talents. She wouldn't have been high up in any department and therefore she would have been readily available for the Order as well.

Like others I doubt they had jobs such as being aurors because necessity seems to indicate that they would have been needed elsewhere, plus as mentioned before when Harry spoke about being an auror not a single mention was made about anyone in his family having been one.

Well Done ASA!

In the words of 1980's Wham t-shirt "Choose Life" Harry!!!!! (and Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Molly, Arthur, Neville, Luna, Lupin, Tonks, Hagrid, McGonagall, Fred, George, Charlie, Bill Fleur...well you get the idea!)
*wonders off embarrassed because I now sound like Hagrid at the end of "Chamber of Secrets" movie *
Old March 23rd, 2007, 3:52 pm
Second Year

Hi. Maybe The Potters had rich friends or the Potters were rich themselves (maybe had a good job) and that's how they got that much money.

Old March 27th, 2007, 1:42 am
Third Year

I had thought that James had inherited the money.
"He didn't have a job." (POA, Aunt Petunia) He couldn't have gotten the money from a muggle job. Since he was so busy with the Order, I don't think he had a job in the wizarding world either. Hagrid would have mentioned it to Harry in the 6 years he's known him.

Lily, on the other hand, was a Muggle born. Her parents were probably Muggles, and they transfered their muggle money to wizarding money. Lily was probably not a very rich person: I pictured her as having about the same amount of money as Hermione. But Harry's wealth probably came from his dad, who inherited it from his relatives.

"The eyes are the window to the soul."

James was happier than he had been in a while. He laughed constantly when he was talking to her and he was always drawn into the conversation by her charming smile and her eyes Ė glittering gold, they were unlike anything James had ever seen. ~STOP AND STARE

Stop and Stare by me & MissProngs & Feedback ~ * ~ The Last Horcrux (Completed!) & feedback ~ * ~ Lovestruck & feedback

'Sirius Black is sexy, right?' Of course she was right. The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders.

I love Harry Potter and Twilight. It can happen without a war.
Old March 27th, 2007, 2:08 am
Third Year

I think that James had rich parents who passed away and left all of their fortune to him, which in turn was passed to Harry.

Old March 31st, 2007, 9:13 am
Second Year

i think that the money was from James side of the family.

Old April 1st, 2007, 6:14 pm
Second Year

Harry probably inherited the money form James' side of the family. From the way Sirius described James' home, it seem like they were rich. James and Lily could have also had high paying jobs. I have also suspected that they were Aurors or part of the ministry of magic.

Old April 1st, 2007, 7:33 pm
Second Year

James inherited his money.I think he just came from old money.

Harry Lives!
Old April 10th, 2007, 1:30 am
First Year

James was a PURE BLOOD!!! PURE BLOODS have money!!! im sure he inherited alot from his parents....

MY NEW LINK TO MY NEW STORIES. PLEASE ENJOY
Old April 10th, 2007, 1:33 am
McMugwump Supreme

From what I can gather, there aren't a lot of independently wealthy wizards. Money is either in the family (ie the Malfoys or the Potters), or you have money because one (or both) of your parents are wealthy Muggles (ie Hermione).

I think the Potters were an old family who probably had the right investments and the like at the right time. Either that or they invented something. Who knows?

Lunch was six dollars and thirty-one cents at the Lamplighter Inn, that's on Highway Two near Lewis Fork.
That was a tuna fish sandwich on whole wheat, slice of cherry pie, and a cup of coffee.
Damn good food. Diane, if you ever get up this way that cherry pie is worth a stop.

Old April 10th, 2007, 1:47 pm
First Year

I think JK Rowling said that James inherited a large sum of money from some relative or something...

Quote:
James inherited plenty of money, so he didnít need a well-paid profession.
Then when James died harry got the money so it would be quite a lot wouldn't it?

Old April 10th, 2007, 2:09 pm
Second Year

Yeah thats true, and I also think that, like in our world, maybe Gringotts customers get interest on the money in their accounts...

The money was in there at least ten years before Harry got hold of it.. LOADS of interest! lol

Old April 10th, 2007, 2:45 pm
Registered Animagus

Actually, we have no evidence that Gringott's pays interest. Interest is paid by the bank because you allow the bank to USE your money to earn money for them (making loans for example). And we don't see any evidence that your money in Gringotts would ever leave your vault and be 'used' by the bank.

Gringotts vaults seem much more like really large safety deposit boxes than savings accounts to me.

And when that day would come, that he had better have the appropriate memories that would enable him to lie to Voldy's face.
Old April 10th, 2007, 5:53 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamy_eyes_xox View Post
James was a PURE BLOOD!!! PURE BLOODS have money!!! im sure he inherited alot from his parents....

um the Gaunts didn't have any money

Well Done ASA!

In the words of 1980's Wham t-shirt "Choose Life" Harry!!!!! (and Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Molly, Arthur, Neville, Luna, Lupin, Tonks, Hagrid, McGonagall, Fred, George, Charlie, Bill Fleur...well you get the idea!)
*wonders off embarrassed because I now sound like Hagrid at the end of "Chamber of Secrets" movie *

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives