Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why was Voldemort's true identity as Tom Riddle not common knowledge?

Old March 24th, 2007, 12:33 pm
Third Year

Re: Why was Voldemort's true identity as Tom Riddle not common knowledge?

Remember Tom Riddle disapeared for a while, I'm sure that for most people they simply forgot about him and when Voldy appeared they did not make the connection that it was one and the same person. I also think that Voldy probably took measures to assure they did not find out who he really was.

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2007, 6:18 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat4891 View Post
Remember Tom Riddle disapeared for a while, I'm sure that for most people they simply forgot about him and when Voldy appeared they did not make the connection that it was one and the same person. I also think that Voldy probably took measures to assure they did not find out who he really was.
Yes I agree with this. Tom was anxious to rid himself of any hint of his muggle heritage. He killed all the remaining Riddles, he changed his name, his disappearance while devling into the Dark Arts. He was trying to disappear as Tom and reappear as Voldemort.

Old March 24th, 2007, 6:24 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Potter View Post
Yes I agree with this. Tom was anxious to rid himself of any hint of his muggle heritage. He killed all the remaining Riddles, he changed his name, his disappearance while devling into the Dark Arts. He was trying to disappear as Tom and reappear as Voldemort.
This begs the question, What of his name was he afraid of? We know that he feels that muggles are inferior, and indeed most of the wizarding community holds muggles in contempt. Voldemort holds everything except death in contempt; though before his demise, he also probably did not hold Dumbledore in contempt. He has but one fear that we know of, and that is death.

I suggest that perhaps what he fears just as much is being considered normal. His true name, when spoken by Dumbledore directly to him at MoM seemed to get his goat. It made him a bit more vulnerable, and this, I believe, is a great weakness.

When faced with each individually, I believe Voldemort can overcome them, but when we couple this fear of his own name, along with the powers of love, the bonds of friendship, Voldemort will not be able to stop the onslaught.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old March 24th, 2007, 6:27 pm
First Year

Because then everybody known that his father was muggle and now he doesnt like to know that he is a half blood

Old March 24th, 2007, 6:32 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post

I suggest that perhaps what he fears just as much is being considered normal. His true name, when spoken by Dumbledore directly to him at MoM seemed to get his goat. It made him a bit more vulnerable, and this, I believe, is a great weakness.

When faced with each individually, I believe Voldemort can overcome them, but when we couple this fear of his own name, along with the powers of love, the bonds of friendship, Voldemort will not be able to stop the onslaught.
This is why I hope Harry thinks to call hom Tom lke DD did. HBP was about learning Voldemort's weaknesses and although it wasn't significantly stressed, I'd say his name was another one and Harry would do well to remember that.

Old March 24th, 2007, 6:34 pm
Fourth Year

No I think the part of his muggle heritage he afraid of is their vunerabilty and their mortality. We all know LV's greatest fear is death muggles don't live as long as wizards do therefore death for them is closer. I agree that most people don't connect between LV and Tom Riddle. Tom was a well liked head boy who could do no wrong in most peoples eyes. LV is a psychoctic mass murderer bent on world domination. Who could connect between the two

No words can describe the beauty of Australia

avatar thanks to m_kelbell on photobucket
Old March 24th, 2007, 6:41 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sile View Post
No I think the part of his muggle heritage he afraid of is their vunerabilty and their mortality. We all know LV's greatest fear is death muggles don't live as long as wizards do therefore death for them is closer. I agree that most people don't connect between LV and Tom Riddle. Tom was a well liked head boy who could do no wrong in most peoples eyes. LV is a psychoctic mass murderer bent on world domination. Who could connect between the two
And yet there were many people who chose to forget Tom Riddle. I imagine that he still did evil things at school that we don't know about.

Old March 24th, 2007, 6:51 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Quote:
I agree that he felt muggles weak, and wished to disavow himself from that connection of muggledom. However, I would not classify him as psychotic. A psychopath kills for no reason. Every murder (that we know of) he has committed had a purpose behind it. He is very calculating, and cool. Very few of his murders were done in the heat of passion or rage. (mine is a subtle distinction, but yes, he is a bit insane)

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old March 24th, 2007, 6:56 pm
Fifth Year

Could we substitute sociopath for pyschopath? Isn't Voldemort somewhat akin to Hitler?

Old March 24th, 2007, 6:58 pm
Fourth Year

Fair enough he is still totally insane

No words can describe the beauty of Australia

avatar thanks to m_kelbell on photobucket
Old March 24th, 2007, 7:00 pm
Third Year

Quote:
I think there are very few people who connect the two. Probably only his "friends" while in Hogwarts who are now DE's and Dumbledore-because he kept track of Tom Riddle and who he was becoming all those years after he disappeared. Then, anyone who DD tried to get memories from must have connected the two because they feared what Voldemort might do to them if they talked about Tom Riddle.

Old March 24th, 2007, 8:41 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeverusLovesUs View Post
This is why I hope Harry thinks to call hom Tom lke DD did. HBP was about learning Voldemort's weaknesses and although it wasn't significantly stressed, I'd say his name was another one and Harry would do well to remember that.
This is a great point. I think it would extremely benefit Harry to call Voldemort by his birth name. I think it would anger him and may throw him off his game in a face to face situation. I'm sure he would hate nothing more than bringing up his muggle heritage that he has tried to destroy.

Old March 24th, 2007, 9:33 pm
Fifth Year

Or would it anger Voldemort so much that he'd do something rash and crazy? Like kill the nearest living thing next to Harry? or Harry himself? Instead of doing thing the whole "So Harry, we're going to fight, this is my little glorified speech time, blah, blah, blah..." thing.

Old March 24th, 2007, 9:53 pm
Third Year

One thing we do know though is that Ollivander knew Voldys true identity, he knew that Harry and Voldy had the phoenix feathers from fawkes.

Old March 24th, 2007, 11:02 pm
First Year

I mean.
How did anyone know what Voldemort looked like if no one knew he was Tom Riddle. Could he have just walked around in a robe and have no one notice??

Please someone reply or send me an owl.

Old March 25th, 2007, 3:16 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie_gryf View Post
I mean.
How did anyone know what Voldemort looked like if no one knew he was Tom Riddle. Could he have just walked around in a robe and have no one notice??

Please someone reply or send me an owl.
Well, not that anyone needed to know what Voldemort looked like, but I think the point of the question is how was it possible that no one knew who the greatest Dark Wizard ever was, where he came from, what his past was, etc., except for a relatively small few? I mean we know all about the great tyrants of history, so how is it that Voldemort's identity is such a secret.

Also, Voldemort would have had a harder time rallying his "pure-blood" cohorts if he knew that he had a muggle background. Seems his real agenda was against muggles and muggle-borns.

Old March 25th, 2007, 1:21 pm
Third Year

I don't think most wizards made the connection that the young handsome tom riddle and the poweful dark voldemort was the same person. I suspect voldy disapeared for some time and riddle became forgotten. Perhaps voldy even used a few memory charms so people would forget the real tom riddle

Old March 25th, 2007, 2:06 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Quote:
One thing we do know though is that Ollivander knew Voldys true identity, he knew that Harry and Voldy had the phoenix feathers from fawkes.
Excellent observation!

This is one reason I think it strange that that knowledge did not move throughout the Wizarding World.

Ollivander is wise man, with an obviously keen memory. "I remember ever wand I have ever sold, Mr. Potter." If keeping Tom Riddle's name out of the public realm of knowledge is of no significance, then why would Ollivander not have told anyone that Tom Riddle owned the wand that gave him his scar? Of course, it has yet to be established that Tom Riddle/Voldemort's wand is his original wand, and not one obtained after he had shed his skin that was Tom Riddle.

So, I guess it is possible that he did not make the connection between Tom Riddle and Voldemort either.

Old March 25th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Second Year

it's simple...he vanished so instantly from Hogwarts that none realized where he had gone..so less and less people after some era realized he had gone to Borgin & Burkes...some lost tracks of him and some who were still curious and felt he was foolish to go on with at some a shop did'nt again no where he left for after the shop.They must have thought he had gone abroad.Nbody except the readers,Dumbledore,Harry and Hokey knew who had murdered Hepzibhah Smith..

so i feel that after he changed his identity only a pinched amount of people like Dumbledore and Slughorn who were close to him and his fellow Slytherin classmates knew his true identity..

Not many people knew that Riddle was an evil person as they remember him from his childhood and as a student at Hogwarts.So they could'nt have imagined him to turn into the darkest sorcerer of wizarding times..

Even Dumbledore when asked by Harry tells that he would have never imagined that he had met he future Voldemort when he came at his muggle place.

But the most important aspect of all is that Riddle did'nt want his identity to be disclosed.He played his role well in disguising himself.

Old March 25th, 2007, 2:21 pm
Unspeakable

Quote:
That's a great point!
Ollivander knows every wand he's ever sold, but like some ther people have mentioned, no one really had any reason to notice Tom Riddle other thn his talent. He was an orphan with no family left in the wizarding world, so outside of Hogwarts no one woul;d've really known about him. And also like others have said, Voldemort's true identity wasn't really important unil the events in CoS, not just for our background knowledge but for the wizarding community too. Even then ,though, it didn't need t obe widely known.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives