Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Did Grindelwald mentor Tom Riddle?

Old August 4th, 2007, 11:49 pm
Second Year

Re: Did Grindelwald mentor Tom Riddle?

True, RIddle was smart, but that doesn't give you the knowlege. Say I have an IQ of 250, it doesn't mean I'll know how to build a car... Sorry, kinda bad example...

Check out my fanfic!
Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2007, 2:10 am
Second Year

Tom Riddle doesn't seem like the kind of person who would want to be mentored, he's a lone wolf and despises being Dependant on anyone.

Old August 5th, 2007, 4:18 am
Third Year

This is such an ineresting theory! It took me quite a while to register where I heard Grindelwald's name from, then remembered DD ChocoFrog card. I agree with most people that Voldemort is afraid of DD, because he had afterall defeated Grindelwald. A dark wizard himself, was wary that the killer of his predessecor was still going strong. Knowing Voldemort he was arrogant saying he's far more powerul, but wasn't a fool to totally dimiss Dumbledore.
Now my thoughts on this theory...
Grindelwald was defeated by Dumbleore in 1945..
Tom left Hogwarts in 1945..
Is it plausible they met after Tom left school? Surely not, since Grindelwald was defeated, and also known that Tom went straight into Burkins and Borkes.
Another part that dismisses them meeting after Hogwarts, was that Tom asked Slughorn about horcruxes in his 6th year. If Grindelwald had told Tom about the horcruxes, it would have to have been in the summer before his 6th year, which conveniently happens to be the summer that Tom was travelling round the country trying to learn more about his parents heritage. As the ophange couldn't help him with his quest, he only had one lead to pursue ... that his dad's name was Tom Riddle. We should remember that Tom was totally 100% convinced that his father was a wizard, not a muggle. Meaning that he would search text books, check ministry data, ask other wizards, would they know a Tom Riddle? Dont forget how ignorant the wizarding world is about the muggle world. He can never find his father, even if Tom himself wasnt igorant about the muggles, because in his eyes, he was a wizard.
I think he searched far and wide for him, and assuming he was a descendent of Slytherin he went to 'dark places' with 'dark people'. Ultimately he does just give up and looks for the last living descendent of Slytherins leading him to the Guant house. But how long did you guys reckon for him to give up on finding out about his dad and moving on?
On another note how did he find out about the Guants? Do the ministry just hand out information to 15 year olds? Do text books really know the line of Slytherin after many many generations? Simple anwser, No. The ministry didnt know about the Guant family before Marvolo shoved the locket onto Odgen's face. Odgen himself couldnt understand the 'funny language' (parseltongue) they were talking, because ofcourse the ministry didnt inform him that he was going to Syltherin's descendents house. The ministry did find out after though, but what do they post it on some website? Hand out leaflets? Telling everyone about the Guants? I believe it stays inside the ministry.
So then how did Tom find the Guants?
My thoughts ... this is where Grindelwald comes into it. He was still at large, and Tom could have just ran into him, considering Tom was searching the type of places to find information about a descendent from Syltherin (his father through his eyes). Again knowing Tom he would have known about Grindelwald and approach him. At first Grindelwald ignores him as a stupid 15 year old, until Tom tells him that he is Syltherins heir. Proving this by talking in parseltongue, this gets Grindelwalds attention and knowing that his time is coming to an end, tells Tom about horcruxes. Grindelwald being a big dark wizard knows the Guants, and after hearig 'Tom MARVOLO Riddle', tells him where they are, who they are and how to get there.
But I think it ends there, I dont think Grindelwald 'mentors' him as such, just tells a valuable information, no more because Tom was after all a 15 year old kid.
Tom goes back to 6th year and asks Slughorn about the Hocruxes, having not knowing about them fully.

Those are my thoughts, what do you guys think?

Old August 5th, 2007, 7:48 am
Third Year

Well, It looks good, except for the fact that I've already shown where Voldemort didn't graduate in 1945.

Quote:
A good theory, but as of HBP we know that by 1944, Voldemort still had 2 years left at Hogwarts.

He killed his father in the summer and took the ring, and wore it. He then went to school for the 1944-45 school year. He asked about Horcruxes, and Slughorn referred to him as a prefect. So that means he was a 6th year, and still had the 1945-46 school year, as that's when he would be Head Boy.

Dec. 31, 1927 - born.
1943-1944 - opens Chamber of Secrets, kills dad and grandparents
1944 - Creates first Horcrux
1971-1981 - Goes public, decimates Wizarding world
1995 - Reborn
Old August 5th, 2007, 2:08 pm
Third Year

Where in the book does it say that there's still two years left for Tom at Hogwarts, after 1944

Old August 5th, 2007, 2:55 pm
First Year

I don't know bout the date but I do know that besides being a Lone wolf Tom also had a great thirst for knowledge..He wanted to know every form of Magic possible...

Old August 5th, 2007, 7:14 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeerlessKid View Post
Where in the book does it say that there's still two years left for Tom at Hogwarts, after 1944
From CoS, we know that the Chamber of Secrets was done in his 5th year.

We know that in the summer of 1944 he killed his father and grandparents, and took the Ring (as evidenced by GoF).

We know that he wore the ring to school, and during the frst year of doing so, the 1944-1945 school year, Slughorn noted that he was a prefect. Had it been Tom's 7th year, he would have said Head Boy.

Since he didn't say Head Boy, but said prefect, and Tom was a 5th year when he opened the Chamber, that leaves the 1944-45 school year to be his sixth year. And that means he was a 7th year from 1945-46.

Dec. 31, 1927 - born.
1943-1944 - opens Chamber of Secrets, kills dad and grandparents
1944 - Creates first Horcrux
1971-1981 - Goes public, decimates Wizarding world
1995 - Reborn
Old August 6th, 2007, 12:38 am
Third Year

Oh right yes that makes perfect sense, and so doesnt contradict my view... so its all good

Old August 6th, 2007, 12:51 am
Banned

I think that the theory of Grindenwald mentoring Tom Riddle is a good one, but I also agree that Tom Riddle didn't want to be dependent on others. However, if Grindenwald had something Riddle wanted, say knowledge, then Riddle wouldn't hesitate to get it from him.

But, Voldemort extended beyond 'usual evil', and that includes Grindenwald.

Old August 9th, 2007, 11:39 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis_Black View Post
Voldemort extended beyond 'usual evil', and that includes Grindelwald.
I have no doubts that Grindy was beyond 'usual evil'... JKR obviously mentioned him for a reason, and people don't get put on chocolate frog cards for defeating luke warm bad guys.

Check out my fanfic!
Old August 26th, 2007, 3:08 am
Secret Keeper

I am absolutely sure that they have met, but as for mentor, I'm not sure. We know that Grindelwald was a dark lord of some type, and he needed armies. I suppose he would teach his servants some magic, to make them stronger. I imagine Tom Riddle to be maybe a lieutenant of some kind, but in the backgrounds.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old August 28th, 2007, 8:55 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
I am absolutely sure that they have met, but as for mentor, I'm not sure. We know that Grindelwald was a dark lord of some type, and he needed armies. I suppose he would teach his servants some magic, to make them stronger. I imagine Tom Riddle to be maybe a lieutenant of some kind, but in the backgrounds.

Why are you so certain that Riddle and Grindelwald had met back in the 1940s? Has JKR confirmed this? It has been confirmed that Dumbledore had defeated Grindelwald in 1945. As for Tom Riddle, he was either still at Hogswarts or had just graduated.

Old August 29th, 2007, 9:29 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySylvia View Post
Why are you so certain that Riddle and Grindelwald had met back in the 1940s? Has JKR confirmed this? It has been confirmed that Dumbledore had defeated Grindelwald in 1945. As for Tom Riddle, he was either still at Hogswarts or had just graduated.
Nah non of this is confirmed, all pure fun speculation

"Has Ron saved a goal yet?" asked Hermione.
"Well, he can do it if he thinks no one is watching him," said Fred, rolling his eyes. "So all we have to do is ask the crowd to turn their backs and talk among themselves every time the Quaffle goes up on his end Saturday."
- PeerlessKid -

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives