Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why didn't Lily apparate with Harry?

Old June 29th, 2007, 12:41 am
Fourth Year

Re: Why didn't Lily apparate with Harry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginnyfan74 View Post
Maybe it's just the fact that Harry was a baby, to apparate is dangerous.
this is what I think as well

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2007, 2:33 am
Second Year

I think the answer would be obvious. I believe one of the first precautions Voldemort would take when infiltrating Godric's Hallow were to make sure his victims wouldn't be able to escape. Raising anti-apparition wards would seem like standard procedure, as apparating is a wizards number one means of escape. What I don't understand is that they didn't have special portkeys that would lead them to a safe place in case they were in danger. Perhaps Dumbledore though they would be safe enough under the Fidelius Charm

Old June 29th, 2007, 3:01 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by req4adrm View Post
Seems like just "there was an anti-apparition charm on the house" is too simple - wizards evolve just like the rest of humanity (or moreso) and would not allow themselves to be trapped in their own homes.
I agree that most wizards would not want to be trapped in their homes and I also agree that the owners of the house would be able to apparate out if needed. It wouldn't make sense if they couldnt apparate out.. You also have to take into consideration how much time it would take to go and grab Harry and then apparate. I'm starting to think that there was simply no time for her to apparate. Think about it Voldemort rushes in to the house and James tells Lily to take Harry and run. I don't imagine it would take Voldemort much time to kill James and then he would head straight for Lily and Harry. Lily might have just reached the room Harry was in when Voldemort caught up to her giving her no time for an escape. I doubt she was carrying Harry around the house with her.

Last edited by Levicorpus827; June 29th, 2007 at 3:06 am.
Old June 29th, 2007, 3:15 am
First Year

x) I agree with the 'baby Harry can't apparate' theory. Or perhaps, simple pressure. I know that they're wizards, but still, they're people. They panic. Think of Lily in the situation. Her husband just died to the most dangerous wizard ever. Voldemort was standing about 20 feet (If not less) from her. She has her baby. And if she knew about the prophecy, then that makes it even more hard... She would know that Harry dieing would complete Voldemort's rule. What would you do? I'd probably huddle on the floor and cry. -blinks-

Old June 29th, 2007, 3:43 am
First Year

Plus when your in danger, you panic. I doubt that's a very good answer, but maybe she just wasn't thinking. And with what previous people have posted, Voldemort wasn't the most dreaded wizard for nothing, Im sure he took precuations against such things.

Don't make President Rosalin resort to drastic measures! Be a doll and don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old June 29th, 2007, 3:51 am
First Year

;3 Exactly.

Old June 29th, 2007, 5:31 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginnyfan74 View Post
Maybe it's just the fact that Harry was a baby, to apparate is dangerous.
agreed...didn't harry get a suffocating feeling when he side apparated with dumbledore or something like that.....

Old June 29th, 2007, 5:41 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Harry did get a very unpleasent feeling, and I just don't think that sort of thing would be healthy for such a small child. I mean, if it were the only way, I can see the possibility of taking the risk. But it seems the plan was for Lily to leave the place on foot, perhapes even flying.

Old June 29th, 2007, 5:47 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book_Worm_07 View Post
Maybe she just gave up on all that running they where doing and decided to at least save Harry....
I see what you're saying, but understand this - she couldn't have thought she was saving Harry - in dying, she would merely be saving a few seconds until Harry himself would be killed. She would be "noble" and give her life to save Harry only to have him be killed seconds later by Voldemort.

Old June 29th, 2007, 6:12 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfears91 View Post
agreed...didn't harry get a suffocating feeling when he side apparated with dumbledore or something like that.....
Yes and I do believe Dumbledore said something along the lines of only guiding Harry and therefore Harry himself had to focus a little bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benegesserit
Plus when your in danger, you panic. I doubt that's a very good answer, but maybe she just wasn't thinking. And with what previous people have posted, Voldemort wasn't the most dreaded wizard for nothing, Im sure he took precuations against such things.
To add to that, with the panic and fear Lily undoubtedly must have been feeling she might have splinched herself and Harry in the process and thought it was safer to run or jump on a broomstick or something. I wonder why we ask questions like this. Nothing against the OP or anything but are we faulting Lily for not thinking of this? Is it really the ONLY logical and obvious answer? I almost feel like it's saying Lily deserved it because she panicked. Looking at it in hindsight it is a clear choice but Lily isn't perfect, she was worried about herself and her family.

Old June 29th, 2007, 8:01 am
First Year

I would agree with the fact that it would be dangerous for Lily to apparate with Harry except that if you remember from DH, i think, the ministry sent out owls to the whole of the wizarding population that told parents to be prepared to do side-along apparition with young children in case the deatheaters showed up at their homes. I doubt that the ministry would tell people to do something that would harm their kids

Old June 29th, 2007, 8:51 am
First Year

Maybe she couldn't apparate?

Some Wizards/Witches can't.

Old June 29th, 2007, 9:05 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I would say that it is likely that she was unable to apparate. Surely if Voldemort truely wanted to he could have found away that would not allow them to apparate. Maybe with all that was going on she just didnt think of it. Althouhg lily was described as being very bright so i see that as unlikely. Was Lily really in the same room as James. Did she actually see him being killed.

Elizebeth: Barbosa marry us.
(best movie scene ever!)

"

Will Turner: "It depends on the one day.
Old June 29th, 2007, 9:09 am
First Year

I think there was just too little time. In Harry's mind when we (he) hears the dementors it seems like eternity, however in reality it was probably not very long at all. The Potters probably felt very comfortable with their protections, they trusted their secret keeper... all was well....... well you know the rest. James probably died almost as quickly as Cedric did, and then Voldemort was on Lily and Harry, there is no known counter curse to Avada Kadavra, a mother's response is to stand before her child, and protect him at all costs.

Old June 29th, 2007, 10:49 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levicorpus827 View Post
I would agree with the fact that it would be dangerous for Lily to apparate with Harry except that if you remember from DH, i think, the ministry sent out owls to the whole of the wizarding population that told parents to be prepared to do side-along apparition with young children in case the deatheaters showed up at their homes. I doubt that the ministry would tell people to do something that would harm their kids
But how young is too young for side along apparition? Harry was still a baby, just a year old. The ministry could mean children of the age 3 and over where parents could explain to their kids what they might have to do and that mommy or daddy needs them to be very still so they can apparate them and not splinch them.

I've always just been under the impression that it was very risky to apparate with a baby and that Lily was also incredibly panicked. I think trying to apparate with a baby while feeling panic stricken would be even more of a risk for splinching.

But I don't think apparating was an option with Harry for whatever reason. Didn't James tell Lily to take Harry and run while he held Voldemort off? That sounds like he wants to buy Lily enough time to go hide somewhere else nearby or get to a place where she could get away magically to a safe place. Maybe Lily and James did have a plan for what to do if Voldemort came that we don't know about, but Lily didn't have enough time to get Harry out of the house before she was cornered so then she did the only thing left that she could: stand in front of her child and guard him with her life, literally.

Old June 29th, 2007, 11:21 am
First Year

yup, it's the simplest and most plausible idea about the topic...

http://www.friendster.com/patricksean
Old June 29th, 2007, 4:22 pm
First Year

So, let me just make sure I understand what everyones thoughts are on the matter. It seems the majority thinks something was keeping Lily from being able to apparate, no one is saying that if Lily could have apparated both herself and Harry to safety that she wouldn't have, right?

Old June 29th, 2007, 4:42 pm
First Year

I'm with the idea of 'Voldemort put up wards'. He is considered the second greatest wizard of the age, after all. He had to be smart enough to do that.

Old June 29th, 2007, 4:50 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collorportus View Post
In my opinion, Lily wanted to stand her ground because she realized that no matter where she apparated to, Voldemort would track her down eventually. She wanted to stay and die bravely in the face of danger.
Agree,running away wouldnt be the answer dying for her son would protect him and i think she knew this,being a fugitive was not an option,protecting her son was.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old June 29th, 2007, 5:23 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montse View Post
Agree,running away wouldnt be the answer dying for her son would protect him and i think she knew this,being a fugitive was not an option,protecting her son was.
First off: she wouldn't be a fugitive - a fugitive is someone running away or fleeing from the law. Secondly, unless she knew about the prophecy (which I think JKR has said the Potters didn't) then her dying would only delay the death of her baby one more moment. What did she expect to happen after Voldemort killed her? He was pretty blatant with her in his intentions to kill the baby Harry.

Which sets up my question that I asked previously, to which no one has yet replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by req4adrm View Post
So, let me just make sure I understand what everyones thoughts are on the matter. It seems the majority thinks something was keeping Lily from being able to apparate, no one is saying that if Lily could have apparated both herself and Harry to safety that she wouldn't have, right?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives