Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Best little-used characters

Old October 13th, 2007, 5:09 am
Second Year

Best little-used characters

I thought this would be a good place to talk about some of the little-known, little-mentioned characters that we've taken a liking to, and why. For instance...

1. Hannah Abbott - She was only mentioned a few times, and usually in a brief way, but for some reason I took a real liking to her, and had a real longing to know more about her.

2. Angelina Johnson - Again, she had a very bit part in the series, but she was obviously a strong, likable girl, plus, to be captain of Team Gryffindor? She must have been pretty hardcore cool.

3. Lee Jordan - The one I most wanted to see more of. He was obviously the best friend and fellow prankster to the Weasley twins, and seemed to be pretty hilarious from the little we got of him.

Old October 13th, 2007, 7:17 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Re: Best little-used characters?

Dean Thomas -- I've always kind of been interested in him. Rowling has a backstory for him that she put on the back burner in favor of Neville. I find it interesting that he dated Ginny and then happened to be the supposed Muggle-born on the run in Deathly Hallows.

I agree with Angelina Johnson and Lee Jordan. I love the image in Goblet of Fire of Fred and Angelina dancing so wildly at the Yule Ball that everyone else had moved away to not get hurt.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.

Last edited by leah49; October 13th, 2007 at 7:20 am.
Old October 13th, 2007, 8:45 am
First Year

Sounds like a good thread.

Stan Shunpike - I loved how he kept endlessly (and brainlessly) chattering away, not noticing his own stupidity, let alone being ashamed of it.
"Why didn' ya say you're Harry Potter, Neville? -- Goodbye, Neville!"
We should have heard more of this.

Old October 13th, 2007, 9:13 am
First Year

I'd probably say Angelina. She's a great character really. And oh, Oliver Wood too! Too bad he had to leave Hogwarts early.

Old October 13th, 2007, 9:23 am
Beauxbatons Champion

An awesome question

Hannah Abbott - Her name came up quite a bit within the books, and was disappointed that nothing came from it (not that I expected it to), and we only actually saw her a couple of times within the series. However, in my own little backstory in my head, I can imagine that her family were quite involved in fighting against Voldemort

Oliver Wood - He was awesome and taught Harry Quidditch...why did he have to leave school earlier than Harry? Also, it helps that the guy who played him in the film was hot...

Charlie Weasley - We hear a few things about him an see him a few times, but we - as an audience - hardly ever see him and Harry barely speaks to him. It's a shame - I would have liked to have found out more about Romania and dragons

Last edited by LoonyMagic; October 13th, 2007 at 11:03 am. Reason: I worte this too early in the morning :)
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:48 am
Lycanthrope

Blaise Zabini - I had so much in mind for what he would do throughout HBP and DH based on the beginning of HBP. Alas, barely a whisper about him in HBP and he seems to have flown off to the Americas during DH - he was completely MIA from the book. I thought his little back story and his refusal to toady to Draco was great - and I liked the ambivalence introduced over his 'liking Ginny'. I thought we'd have a nice blow out between he and Harry about that. But all of it turned out to be qa build up for nothing.

Old October 13th, 2007, 10:58 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyMagic View Post
Charlie Weasley - We hear a few things about him an see him a few times, but we - as an audience - hardly ever see him and Harry barely speaks to him. It's a shame - I would have liked to have found out more about Egypt and dragons
Charlie was in Romania not Egypt - that was Bill, curse-breaking for Gringotts.

But yes I agree. I would have liked to see more Charlie. As for Angelina and Oliver: I would have said that Angelina and Fred would get married, but...*sob*...that's never going to happen. The thing with Angelina and Oliver is that they were there to fill in positions; there had to be captains and players in the quidditch team. Anyway, they were in the final battle, and I think that's sufficient involvement for me.

I would have liked to see more of Florean Fortescue - seeing as he gave Harry free Sundaes and helped him with his homework, and then went missing, I really expected him to have a larger part in DH.

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Old October 13th, 2007, 11:02 am
Beauxbatons Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFinch View Post
Charlie was in Romania not Egypt - that was Bill, curse-breaking for Gringotts.
Of course. I'll go back and edit that - you can tell I wrote this early in the morning...

Old October 13th, 2007, 11:25 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Of course. I'll go back and edit that - you can tell I wrote this early in the morning...
Btw, how often do you change your sig and avatar?? It seems like it's a different one every five minutes!!

"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Old October 13th, 2007, 11:36 am
Beauxbatons Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFinch View Post
Btw, how often do you change your sig and avatar?? It seems like it's a different one every five minutes!!
More like every five seconds. It seems to change with my mood

Anyway, back on topic . I always liked Hestia Jones. I've no idea why, but from the first moment we met her (albeit briefly) in OotP, I had wanted to know more about her. I'm glad she had a chance to speak in DH

Old October 13th, 2007, 11:41 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
More like every five seconds. It seems to change with my mood
A cat with a melon on its head is indicative of your mood? Oooookaaaaay...

Yeah Hestia Jones seemed to be a bit of a nonentity if that's the word - she was introduced and only used rather pointlessly for transporting the Dursleys to safety. It seems a bit pointless her being a character at all, really, with such an insignificant involvement.

"I forge' the details."

Old October 13th, 2007, 11:49 am
Sixth Year

Mrs Figg! I thought it was brilliant when it turned out that Harry's old cat loving neighbour turned out to be a Squib!

Squirrelio Fans - If you love Flashforward, listen to our podcast!
Obliviate! - Come join my Harry Potter/Flashforward forum!
Old October 13th, 2007, 1:53 pm
Inconceivable!

I was hoping that Susan Bones would get a bigger role She gets mentioned in most of the books and was part of the D.A. And her aunt Amelia was a high ranking Ministry offical.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old October 13th, 2007, 4:27 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Hogwarts Express trolley lady, I was sure she was working under cover for the Order, keeping an eye on Harry during those long train rides.

Old October 13th, 2007, 4:37 pm
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
Hogwarts Express trolley lady, I was sure she was working under cover for the Order, keeping an eye on Harry during those long train rides.
Ha! That would be great!

I wonder who this little tufty-haired wizard is; he speaks at Dumbledore's funeral, and at the wedding! Apparently, he is very good at magic because he pretty much changed the entire wedding tent with a wave of the wand.

Another one: Theodore Nott. Jo has said that he has a rather interesting history, and there used to be a good scene with him and Draco talking to each other at the Malfoy Manor, but she had to take it out. At the end of OotP, it looked as though he may have a little part in the next two books, but alas, he was not even mentioned...

Old October 13th, 2007, 4:58 pm
First Year

That Harper kid, who was a substitute seeker, while Draco wasn't feeling well. Don't know why, really.

Old October 13th, 2007, 7:27 pm
Third Year

Kingsley. I know he ended up getting used alot later but I really wish they had introduced him earlier, he is so cool.

Old October 13th, 2007, 7:35 pm
Second Year

I would have liked to have heard more about Dennis Creevey. It seemed like he would have been a great edition to the Harry Potter fan club.

Slytherin and Spectacular
'I'm very brave generally, only today I happen to have a headache' - Lewis Carroll

Old October 13th, 2007, 7:36 pm
Second Year

PEEVES!
My fav character in the series (besides Snape and Dumbledore)

I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?
Old October 13th, 2007, 8:12 pm
Winning Teamster

Wow - pretty much everyone mentioned here!

I was so excited when Lee's his Quidditch-commentator skills were put to the use of resisting Voldemort...how awesome is he?! But yeah, I would like to know more about him and his future. He seems a bit shunted to the side next to the Weasley twins.

Angelina seems like a very strong, assertive person (similar to Ginny, I guess) and it would have been great to see her as an adult (and maybe married to either George or Lee).

Oliver Wood is so funny as Quidditch capitan and I'm really glad he came back for the battle.

STAN SHUNPIKE is hilarious. Thank you Harry, for not Stunning him and sending him spiraling toward the earth at a thousand million feet up. He's great in the films too.

I wish Harry had gotten to know Susan Bones better. She's lost family to the war just like he has and she was at the DA's first meeting.

From what we get to see of Charlie (maybe 10 lines in the whole series?), he seems really funny. I would like to see him with Hagrid some more; apparently they were good friends.

I don't know if Percy counts as a little-used character, but I REALLY liked him before OotP. His reunion with the Weasley family in DH was perfect. Oh, and I've always wondered about Penelope Clearwater...kissing Percy in all his Head Boy glory. I don't think she even got to say anything.

They're changing guard at Buckingham Palace -
Christopher Robin went down with Alice.
We looked for the King but he never came.
"Well, God take care of him, all the same,"
Says Alice.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives