Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Percy was a Polyjuiced Wormtail

Old January 13th, 2004, 5:52 pm
First Year

Percy was a Polyjuiced Wormtail

I mean where was he the whole book. I know he is ambitious and all but wouldn't polyjuicing Percy and making Wormtail Fudge's right hand be a great plan for Voldemort to gain all kinds of inside access?

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2004, 6:01 pm
Twilight Princess

If you are wondering where Peter was during OotP, there is a thread discussing that here.

As to Percy possibly being Wormtail in disguise, I don't really want another Polyjuice disception in the book. I guess it would be so obvious that it could be unexpected, but I would rather see something original happen.

Old January 13th, 2004, 6:13 pm
Fourth Year

Percy was just Percy being a pratt. He doesn't need to be a bad guy in disguise he's just a jerk.

Old January 13th, 2004, 10:09 pm
First Year

I think the way he was in book 5 was simply to have JK illustrate her point about there not just being "Death Eaters" and "Good People". Percy is no Dark Wizard, but he isn't a good person. He puts too much faith in the ministry and forgets to think for himself. He is willing to sell out his entire family in an instant. I've always kinda saw this as JKs personal views on free thought and whatnot.

Old January 13th, 2004, 10:35 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOoF
I think the way he was in book 5 was simply to have JK illustrate her point about there not just being "Death Eaters" and "Good People". Percy is no Dark Wizard, but he isn't a good person. He puts too much faith in the ministry and forgets to think for himself. He is willing to sell out his entire family in an instant. I've always kinda saw this as JKs personal views on free thought and whatnot.
I agree with MOoF on this. Percy needn't be a Death Eater in disguise, even through Polyjuice Potion, to do bad things, and there's a big different between what he did and what Death Eaters do.

I also think that if Voldemort wanted access to anyone, it wouldn't be Fudge or the Ministry of Magic generally. Surely he'd want to get at the Order of the Phoenix instead? He isn't stupid, so he'd know what Fudge believed or not, especially since he said what he thought in the papers every day, and Voldemort would know that gaining access to his thoughts wouldn't be that difficult, or really that necessary, since Fudge was practically giving Voldemort and his lot an easy ride right through.

Old January 13th, 2004, 11:00 pm
Fifth Year

An interesting twist on the Wormtail-taking-polyjuice-potion theory, but Percy has pretty much acted like Percy (i.e. increasingly pompous) and I can't remember any mentions of him acting strangely or having unfocused eyes as per Crouch Snr. So probably not!

Old January 14th, 2004, 12:29 am
Fifth Year

The reasons behind this theory I believe are the fact that Percy is avoiding everybody's eyes all the time and the fact that he used suspicious words like "bound" in the letter he sent to Ron. I think we can blame Galadriel Waters for this one - the foundations for the theory are in her book.

An alternative would be that Percy's not necessarily Polyjuiced - he's just Imperiused.

Old January 14th, 2004, 3:27 am
Superman

I like this theory and I think it's 'solid'. I can't find any holes in it.

Old January 14th, 2004, 3:35 am
Zonko's Employee

One hole is that we have absolutely no evidence. Whilst it is likely, and true that Percy did avoid people's eyes and wrote about being "bound", we didn't have any other indicators. Percy never acted particularly like Peter, and it doesn't strike me that Peter is the best actor in the world - his friends believed he was loyal because they never paid attention to him. The way Percy acted in this situation was set up from the beginning... he has always been portrayed as pompous, silly and somewhat in love with his own sense of authority, I don't see any difference here.

Thirty Helens Agree - The Kids in the Hall is comedy gold...

Glomp
Old January 14th, 2004, 3:37 am
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz
One hole is that we have absolutely no evidence.
Ahh ... I guess I overlooked that one important piece of information.

Old January 14th, 2004, 3:41 am
Zonko's Employee

However, I am not ruling this out. I am just thinking that JKR wouldn't use Polyjuice as a scapegoat every time.

Glomp
Old January 14th, 2004, 3:45 am
Second Year

We really do not see Percy in OotP or in the end of GoF. So, how would we really know about something being strage with him asside from the fight with Arthur and the letter? If he is being controlled it happend around the time of the third task or shortly thereafter.

Old January 14th, 2004, 3:46 am
Fifth Year

Hey, we haven't really had a decent Imperio plot line yet.

There's also the fact that Draco mistakenly (?) refers to Percy as "Peter Weasley" in book 2.

Old January 14th, 2004, 3:46 am
Superman

I think you underestimate her Loz.

Think about it, it's the perfect plan. If you do the same thing you've done fifteen times before people will be expecting you to do something new but the twist is that you do the exact same thing and catch everybody by surprise. It's a piece of brilliance.

Old January 14th, 2004, 3:50 am
Zonko's Employee

The brilliance of subterfuge, oh yes Picko... and JKR does like to repeat things over and over, i.e the DADA position being empty, House Elves, etc. etc. Yes, I am beginning to come back to the side that thinks this is likely. However - why Percy and not someone else? You might say that this is because Wormtail knows Percy well. Oh... uhmmm.

Glomp

Last edited by Loz; January 14th, 2004 at 3:55 am.
Old January 14th, 2004, 3:52 am
Fifth Year

Divide and conquer?

Spy inside the ministry?

Use him to work against Potter and Dumbedore?

Old January 14th, 2004, 3:53 am
Registered Animagus

That was absolutely Percy in Ootp. His actions were very characteristic of Ron's older brother.

Picko, Rowling may use polyjuice potion again but why for Percy? She had those traits in his character throughout the series. She didn't need an explanation like that for why he did those things to his family.
It's obvious he was ashamed of his father and thought he was better than his family. Percy follows the rules but only because they are rules. Does he really understand or care why the rules are there?
He'd believe Fudge over his family any day of the week because he's supposed to listen to the minister.

Old January 14th, 2004, 3:53 am
Superman

Good to see you've come back to some sense Loz. Peter could also be used to seduce Percy to the darkside because as you said Loz he knows him so well.

Old January 14th, 2004, 3:55 am
Registered Animagus

It would be weak to use the polyjuice potion to explain away that everyone isn't responsible for their own actions! It would be such a lousy cheat to say Percy didn't choose to side with Fudge because he was tricked.
He wasn't tricked.

Old January 14th, 2004, 4:01 am
Zonko's Employee

The main reason I don't think this theory holds up is because of the reasons I and Weatherby have mentioned. Percy is shown to be a character who would behave like a prat. He has been tricked - but by his own ego and ignorance.

Glomp

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives