Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

"Was Sirius a Slytherin?" aka "The Marauders and their Houses"

Old March 4th, 2004, 1:55 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebus
Ok here is an answer for you all straight from JKR herself at this mornings webchat
Sirius Riddle: What houses were Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, James Potter and Remus Lupin in? Everyone tells me they were all Gryffindor, but I won't believe it unless I hear it from Ms. Rowling herself!
JK Rowling replies -> This is JK herself saying that they were indeed in Gryffindor!

NOTE, neither the question or the answer mention Wormtail!
No, but I read that as someone mistyping and putting Lupin twice.

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2004, 2:10 pm
Renegade

I think it was a mistype too. Though how Worm ended up a Gryffindor is something I don't yet understand.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old March 4th, 2004, 2:45 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk
I think it was a mistype too. Though how Worm ended up a Gryffindor is something I don't yet understand.
Yes, its very confusing. It'd be interesting to read a side story of the Marauders, which most likely JKR will do that (at least to make her fans understand better) how they all met.

Quote:
JK Rowling replies -> This is JK herself saying that they were indeed in Gryffindor!

NOTE, neither the question or the answer mention Wormtail!
What is this? --> she should at least say Wormtail too. The mistype! gah!

Old March 4th, 2004, 2:50 pm
Second Year

Unfortunately, she's just said there won't be a prequel...

~ Quote ~
Bobby: Any thoughts about a prequel series?
JK Rowling replies -> No, no prequels here. You won't need them by the time I've finished, you'll have all the back story you'll need!
~~~

But I guess she's still going to give us a lot on the Marauders and all...or at least I hope so!

I think the question just accidentally had a typo of Remus twice...I'm sure they meant to put Peter in there.

Old March 4th, 2004, 3:37 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggle Tiff
Unfortunately, she's just said there won't be a prequel...

~ Quote ~
Bobby: Any thoughts about a prequel series?
JK Rowling replies -> No, no prequels here. You won't need them by the time I've finished, you'll have all the back story you'll need!
~~~

But I guess she's still going to give us a lot on the Marauders and all...or at least I hope so!

I think the question just accidentally had a typo of Remus twice...I'm sure they meant to put Peter in there.
I meant another pensieve scene or some memory that Harry goes into, you know? Maybe a brief flash into how the Marauders met.

Old March 4th, 2004, 6:10 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat
People read that he was studying a book, and take it to mean he was exceptionally studious. It was before an exam!
Yes, but the others weren't studying, not even Peter, who undoubtedly needed to. I think it's fair to say that Remus was probably a bit more bookish than the others, on the meagre evidence we have. It would be a natural consequence of his friendless childhood.

My chief weapon is shipping neutrality...and avoidance of over-analysis. My two weapons are shipping neutrality, avoidance of over-analysis, and a sense of humour. My three weapons are shipping neutrality, avoidance of over-analysis, and a sense of humour...and an almost fanatical devotion to Remus Lupin. Among my weapons are...
...I'll come in again.
Old March 4th, 2004, 10:18 pm
Third Year

Again, the World Book day interview with JKR (you can find it on HPANA - www.hpana.com) completely blows this theory out of the water. She categorically states that all the Marauders were in Gryffindor! I really think that that interview will kill a ton of threads on this forum

Veq.

</TABLE><TABLE STYLE="filter:glow(color=Green strength= 5)"><TR><TD>
The 'Lord Voldemort' Barbie mk 2: Now with REAL gleaming red eyes and realistic evil-arm-waving action! PLUS for a limited time only, you can purchase the 'Graveyard-Priori-Incantatum', 'Ministry-of-Magic-backside-kicking', 'Grovelling-Death-Eaters' and 'Death-by-baby' Playsets. (Each set sold seperately, may differ in small details from illustration, will cause death.)</TABLE>
Old March 4th, 2004, 10:24 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vequihellin
Again, the World Book day interview with JKR (you can find it on HPANA - www.hpana.com) completely blows this theory out of the water. She categorically states that all the Marauders were in Gryffindor! I really think that that interview will kill a ton of threads on this forum

Veq.
Yes, we've been discussing that already
And if you look above, some speculate that the mistype of Lupin twice was speculated again that Peter may or may not be in Gryffindor.

So as true skeptics (who like the person who asked the question) we're to assume that they were all in Gryffindor, mistype or not. I dont think JKR really noted the Lupin typed twice thing.
But the question remains as to how they all befriended one another. Maybe in the Hogwarts train? (Just like Harry and Ron?)

Old March 4th, 2004, 10:42 pm
Third Year

It strikes me that Wormtail probably became involved because he was a toady. i.e. He sneaked around in the shadow of the big-shots (which we already know to be true after the revelations at the end of PoA) and massaged their inflated egos thus they allowed him to stay. Sirius and James well, they were both very similar and were probably friends straight away although to speculate where and how their friendship came about is somewhat futile given the lack of canon evidence or suggestion. Lupins' involvement always seems, at least to my mind, to be largely the same as Hermiones - after all, it was only after the Troll/Bathroom incident that they became friends and Lupin really has nothing APPARENTLY in common with the other three. So look at Hermiones relationship with 'the boys' - they don't really have that much in common but are friends all the same. Ron moans about Hermiones bookishness (Lupin read a lot didn't he) and her propensity to nag but they are still friends and they still get into situations that they shouldn't - isn't there a quote somewhere made by Ron about how much He and Harry have corrupted Hermione (COS I think)?

Remus Lupin was probably shy and quiet, pretty much kept to the background until maybe something happened, maybe he was being bullied by Slytherins, I don't know, anyway, Sirius and James charge in, always willing to levy a few jinxes in the Slytherin direction and Remus starts to 'hang around' with them (because I can never see Remus as being the 'leader' of the group can you?) and after a couple of years they became really good friends for pretty much the same reasons as Hermione.

Of course we could always see Wormtail from a 'Will you guys help me study?' Point of view, but personally I think that Wormtail's ego-massaging was probably more a factor in his being accepted into the fold so to speak.

Veq.

The 'Lord Voldemort' Barbie mk 2: Now with REAL gleaming red eyes and realistic evil-arm-waving action! PLUS for a limited time only, you can purchase the 'Graveyard-Priori-Incantatum', 'Ministry-of-Magic-backside-kicking', 'Grovelling-Death-Eaters' and 'Death-by-baby' Playsets. (Each set sold seperately, may differ in small details from illustration, will cause death.)</TABLE>
Old March 4th, 2004, 10:43 pm
Prefect Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffskein
I think it's fair to say that Remus was probably a bit more bookish than the others, on the meagre evidence we have.
Or he had the strongest desire to proove himself, as a werewolf who the school was good enough to accept. I imagine more of the teacher's eyes would have been on him than on the average student that year. He would want to show them that they had made the right decision and would feel expected to say 'thank you', just by pulling his academic socks up occasionally.

I'm not just disputing you pointlessly. I'm saying it's not fair to say anything much about him based on one day in his life.

And I still don't think he was the 'Hermione' one.

GryffindorGr, they might have befriended one another over a course of time. From the sound of it, James and Sirius were made for one another so they would have hit it off from the moment they met, perhaps on the train like you said. Remus would have been trickier... to insensitive minds he would definitely seem a bit weird... disappearing all the time, making excuses... they might not have really befriended him until after they found out the truth about him. I can't even guess how Peter might have got in. He was rather like Colin Creevey, but a bit less scary. Maybe Sirius and James liked attention more than Harry does. Even still, he was more than just a tag-along. He became an Animagus, just like them. His name is even on The Marauder's Map.

Old March 4th, 2004, 10:58 pm
Third Year

To be honest, analogising the marauders with the trio isn't really fair. The Marauders had a completely different upbringing, free from Voldemort and cupboards under the stairs. You cannot really Compare Harry and Ron to any of the characters in the Marauders: Harry had a troubled and saddened upbringing and is a noble and serious sort of person - if Voldemort didn't exist Harry would, quite possibly be a bit of a prankster like his father since they would have known each other and lived happy normal lives. Ron comes from a poor but happy family, his morals and values are therefore moulded by this wonderful family atmosphere and the fact that they are short on cash means that he values things that little bit more. Sirius hardly lived the perfect life but we already know that he had a substantial amount of money of his own, lived with James (who's family SEEMINGLY had no money worries either). Ergo, they grew up happy and contented with no pain and struggling (until the Voldemort thing happened). Thus, I think that modern analogies of the marauders are most likely to be found amongst the other characters in the books:

Sirius and James: The Weasley Twins. Blatently.
Wormtail: The less said about him the better. I don't think that we could assign a 'current generation' analogy to him knowing his eventual defection and betrayal
Remus Lupin: Poor boy with bad illness but genuine and nice. The nearest person I can think of to compare him to is Neville. Poor boy, tragedy early in life, memory problems, but genuinely nice. (I know this isn't great but feel free to suggest your own).

Veq.

Old March 4th, 2004, 11:22 pm
McMugwump Supreme

Righto, I'm shipping this off to the History of Magic reference books. If you have anything further to say on this matter, start a new thread because the original question of this thread has been answered.

Thanks.

Lunch was six dollars and thirty-one cents at the Lamplighter Inn, that's on Highway Two near Lewis Fork.
That was a tuna fish sandwich on whole wheat, slice of cherry pie, and a cup of coffee.
Damn good food. Diane, if you ever get up this way that cherry pie is worth a stop.

Old March 4th, 2004, 11:22 pm
Prefect Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vequihellin
To be honest, analogising the marauders with the trio isn't really fair.
I know. That's the main reason I don't think he's the 'Hermione' one. But many people want to cram him into that position. It's because Harry was previously thought be just like James by most fans. So they had to make it Harry= James, Ron= Sirius and Remus= Hermione. Oh, and Neville's going to turn out evil obviously.

But I don't buy that at all. I didn't buy that James was just the prequel to Harry even before OOPT - they had entirely different experiences growing up. There's no point in trying to squeeze them into these roles. It only serves to make the characters less individual. Besides, it's far too neat. People are pushed into these personalities and fates because, what, time is stuck in a loop? That's both too neat and rather creepy.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives