Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5

Old July 10th, 2007, 2:33 am
Arithmancer

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5

For quite awhile I chose denial, huge denial that Harry would not die but I'm becoming more and more convinced that this may be the outcome and I've prepared myself as much I can possibly can for that eventual thing. If it doesn't happen that'll surprise me now because over the past few months, as it gets closer, I just keep having the feeling that Harry is going to die.

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2007, 7:10 am
Suteki da ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewWiggin View Post
I doubt that Harry dies. It's dramatic and if he dies, then Voldemort will live an that would not be a goo ending to the Harry Potter series. (Not that any ending could be bad when JKR writes it) There may be a possibilety that Neville is a part of the prophecy. Maybe Harry is supposed to find the Horcruxes, but Neville is supposed to take Voldemort in the end.
The prophecy says "Neither can live while the other survives"- doesn't say anything about them both dying...they could. If Harry dies AFTER Voldemort dies, ie from a Voldemort related injury, then they could both die

If you change your mind
Old July 10th, 2007, 7:50 am
Second Year

Still reserving judgement on this one. There are too many arguments for either side. I dont want him to die but it might be inevitable. Harry sacrificing himself for the good of the human race is quite dramatic.
And he could die then come back to life. Seems a little far fetched but theres always hope

Lord Montymort
Old July 10th, 2007, 8:25 am
Third Year

I don't think she will kill Harry off. There has just been too many slip ups when she talked about him in the future tense. First example off the top of my head:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Carry and Garp Interview
Soledad O'Brien: I'm going to pose the final question to you and I'd like all three of you to take a stab at it. You can do it in any order that you would like. If you were to have dinner with any five characters from any of your books -- take a moment to think about it -- who would you invite, and why would they be on your list? Any order.

JK Rowling: Well I'd take Harry, to apologize to him (crowd laughs). Um, I'd have to take Harry, Ron and Hermione.

Stephen King: Sure.

JK Rowling: I would - this is - (crown shouts suggestions).

Stephen King: Hagrid, take Hagrid.

JK Rowling: See, I know who's actually dead.
Bolding mine.

"Blocked again and again and again till you learn to keep your mouth shut and your mind closed, Potter..."

Doesn't that sound a lot like teaching to you?
Old July 10th, 2007, 1:29 pm
First Year

Yes, this is what I thought too when I read about this interview of Jo's. She took Harry,Ron and Hermione's name and THEN said that she knew who's dead. Then she took Dumbledore and Hagrid's name.
I'm pretty sure Hagrid dies in DH. It's been long in the coming.
I am still hoping the trio and Ginny survive.
*fingers crossed*

Old July 10th, 2007, 2:09 pm
Fourth Year

Yes.

- how many times was it said that Harry's and LV's faiths are intertwined ? So if one dies...

- Harry and LV being the opposites: one full of Love, one full of Hate. The way to bring balance to the world is Harry and LV both die so their powers cancel each other out.

- The "neither can live while the other survives" line in the prophecy. As OOTP would have us think, this means either Harry kills LV or LV kills Harry. But Harry and LV both dying in the last duel is the less discussed option that would still qualify for the prophecy.

- All along it's been said Harry is the Chosen one that will defeat LV. 1) What usually happens with Chosen ones ? They die. 2) If his mission in the wizard world is defeating LV, what is there left for him without that clash ?

- Harry dying would be ok ... if he is saving the world from LV in the process. Sacrifice for the greater good as we saw with DD's death.

- It eliminates the pleas for any sequel, including those not written by JKR. And she did say there will be no stories about Harry post Hogwarts year 7. Maybe that's because there will be no Harry post year 7.

Old July 11th, 2007, 12:19 am
First Year

has anyone noticed all everyone automatically thinks about living or dying is Harry? Other than being the main character, why does everyone leap up dicussing his fate? So what if he's the hero, I think we should start worrying about some of the lesser main characters. What the Weaslys for instances? Hagrid, or don't forget Peter Pettigrew.

oh and by the way, Harry's going to live. Just a little of theory of mine

Old July 11th, 2007, 12:22 am
Eldest Gruff

That's because this is the thread about Harry. You may want to worry about other characters in Book Seven: Who Will Live and Who Will Die? v4.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old July 11th, 2007, 4:54 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prenz130
Yes, this is what I thought too when I read about this interview of Jo's. She took Harry,Ron and Hermione's name and THEN said that she knew who's dead. Then she took Dumbledore and Hagrid's name.
I'm pretty sure Hagrid dies in DH. It's been long in the coming.
(I'm really delving here, but...) Well, Jo said she wanted to invite Harry to apologize to him. Maybe to apologize for killing him off? 'Tis a silly thought, but I'm throwing it out there!

In any case, I think that in no way, shape, or form should it be taken into account that Jo would kill off Harry in order to eliminate the possibility of a sequel. She would DEFINITELY not have been thinking about this when she planned out the series so many years ago.

Speaking of many years ago: Jo created the basic structure of the series a long time ago, and has remained fairly loyal to it. Was her original idea, 'Ok, so Harry discovers he's actually a wizard, goes to Hogwarts, battles LV, saves wizarding world, then dies?' Or was it more like, 'Harry discovers he's a wizard, finds out LV's after him, battles him, and continues forth?' I think it's important to think of what Jo's original concept of the series would be.

"Perhaps as a student of human nature."
Old July 11th, 2007, 5:34 am
First Year

I have really been in the "Harry Lives" mindset for a while and at first it was because I really wanted him to live. Now I am in the "Harry Lives" mind set for a couple of other reasons. You can look at the way the prophecy is written and make an argument that Harry will die with Voldemort or that Harry will defeat Voldemort and live (those arguments go back and forth but I think most think Harry will survive).

You can also read between the lines of the comments JKR has made in lots of interviews. It seems to me that her answers and non-answers lead to Harry surviving. And I think that argument is weighed more heavily towards his survival. Now that is just my opinion and it certainly doesn't say what kind of price he will pay for the victory.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.”
- Albert Einstein
Old July 11th, 2007, 5:43 am
First Year

NO!

Old July 11th, 2007, 8:42 am
First Year

I dont think that he will die but I do think that something else bad is going to happen to him that will prevent him from seeing Ginny, Ron and Hermione (provided that they all survive).

Old July 11th, 2007, 9:47 am
Fifth Year

I see 3 outcomes for this final battle, if it is indeed Harry vs. Voldemort with no others: Voldemort kills Harry, Harry kills Voldemort, and they kill each other. I find it almost entirely impossible for Voldemort to kill Harry and therefore spread his reign of terror across the world. The entire series has been about Harry fighting for good and making the right choices... to kill him off would be sending the message that fighting the good fight isn't worth it.

Harry killing Voldemort would certainly back this message of good triumphing over evil. But, I think it would be an equal result if they killed each other off- Voldemort would die, and therefore his evil ways, and the world would rejoice. Granted, Harry would also be dead, but he would have died in the noblest of ways, just like his mom, dad, godfather, and Dumbledore. He would have died fighting for what was right, fighting for the good in the world, and all the innocent people in it.

I am quite certain (well, cetainly hoping) that Harry will not die in book 7, though the growing number of people who think he will die is leaving me rather disconcerted. I will hope for the best.

Here lies Dobby, a free elf.

"That wand's more trouble than it's worth, and quite honestly, I've had enough trouble for a lifetime."
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:12 am
First Year

JK just stated in an interview that she would "never say never", to an eighth book. Would there be one if Harry was dead? I think this may be the strongest indication that he survives the last book. The suspense is killing me.

Old July 11th, 2007, 6:35 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwlooose View Post
JK just stated in an interview that she would "never say never", to an eighth book. Would there be one if Harry was dead? I think this may be the strongest indication that he survives the last book.

She said there might be another book about the wizarding world, not Harry Potter. I suppose she could do a book about those who survive without including Harry.

Proud member of Ravenclaw
Old July 12th, 2007, 1:02 am
Second Year

I heard the "eigth book" was going to be an encyclopedia of sorts. She's got A LOT of backstory so I can see how that makes sense.

Lord Montymort
Old July 12th, 2007, 2:02 am
First Year

When one removes the emotion here, it is pretty clear that with the foreshadowing around the Veil and the Harry is a Horcrux theory, that the following is likely to occur. - Harry and company effectively defeat Tom Riddle, however cannot kill him completely because Harry himself is the final Horcrux. In a massive act of self-sacrafice Harry steps through the veil to be re-united with James, Lily, Sirius and his other then departed friends. His surviving friends communicate with him from beyond the veil through the mirror that Sirius had with him when he died in OOTP

By the way, when his friends see him in the mirror he does not have a "scar" anymore, hence the final word

Last edited by GreatUncleSpark; July 12th, 2007 at 2:23 am. Reason: Lots of spelling errors
Old July 12th, 2007, 4:01 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

No, I hope not, so that's what I'm sticking with as my final answer

My wife thinks he'll die

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old July 12th, 2007, 4:33 am
Sixth Year

The final fight, no matter the outcome, is bound to be extremely messy and cause a lot of grief for all included. That said, I don't think Harry is going to bite the dust this time. It's time to let his anger start working for him instead of against him.

Old July 12th, 2007, 4:39 am
Fifth Year

I can’t see Harry dying – don’t forget that these are children’s books (although I constantly forget). But it just seems so out of character for the hero of a book made popular by 11 year olds to die. This isn’t Shakespeare’s tragic hero or Byron’s Byronic hero; this Harry Potter, the boy who lived. Hopfully, the last chapter will be a "full circle"; the first chapter of the series is call The Boy Who Lived...hmm...

I rest my case.

Ron and Hermione in Deathly Hallows

Dobby's large, pointed ears were now sticking out from beneath what looked like all the hats Hermione had ever knitted; he
was wearing one on top of the other, so that his head seemed elongated by two or three feet, and on the very topmost
bobble sat Hedwig, hooting serenely and obviously cured.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies