Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Will The Movies Be Remade Years From Now?

Old December 8th, 2010, 9:48 pm
First Year

Re: Will The Movies Be Remade Years From Now?

Yes. Definitley. But will they be as good?

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2010, 2:40 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnette View Post
Yes. Definitley. But will they be as good?
Wouldn't be hard. The films have been terrible for any true HP fan or general film critic. The WB movies are simply money making schemes, they are not stand alone films and they do not do any justice to the books, they are just there to pump out cheesy teenage lines and sell.

I hope so badly that someone makes a decent representation of the books come to fruition sooner rather than later...

Old December 13th, 2010, 2:43 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrWorseExpelled View Post
Wouldn't be hard. The films have been terrible for any true HP fan or general film critic. The WB movies are simply money making schemes, they are not stand alone films and they do not do any justice to the books, they are just there to pump out cheesy teenage lines and sell.

I hope so badly that someone makes a decent representation of the books come to fruition sooner rather than later...
If you think that remakes mean they'll make less changes from the book, you're horribly mistaken. If anything, they'll make more changes as the current HP adaptions do not change the amount that is normal for book to film adaptions.

Proud Ravenclaw!

*No idea who made my avatar, but credit goes to whoever out there on the internet made it!
Old December 13th, 2010, 3:50 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasley9 View Post
If you think that remakes mean they'll make less changes from the book, you're horribly mistaken. If anything, they'll make more changes as the current HP adaptions do not change the amount that is normal for book to film adaptions.
I realise that they could change even more, and as for the movies not changing as is normal for book to film adaptations, I would prefer it if each time they made a movie they decided on it being its own story, rather than trying to chop and change the book and explaining every change they make along the way. I feel that is what they did in PoA and it worked. Generally I just feel as though the movies weren't very good.

Maybe I'm unrealistic in my hopes, but I would dearly love a good HP film series.

Old December 14th, 2010, 10:19 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrWorseExpelled View Post

I'm afraid you're very much mistaken there. The films (at least in my opinion) have tried to keep to the main plot of each book. I'm sure the filmmakers did their best but it must've been difficult due to the books being written at the same time they were being made. Also tons of fans, film critics and general movie-goers have enjoyed the films. I am one of those fans and there are many others. I have read glowering reviews and I know plenty of people who have never read the books but love the films. Even JKR herself loves the films.

I'm sorry, but the way you say "true HP fan" implys that only those who like the books but dislike the films are only allowed to be HP fans. I couldn't help but feel slightly offended by this.

Last edited by StaceysChain; December 14th, 2010 at 10:30 pm.
Old December 14th, 2010, 10:45 pm
Second Year

To be honest I doubt it. There are eight of them(movies I mean).

The movies are good, and while they might seem a little naff in ten years or so they still stay true(ish) to the main plot of the books. Although maybe they could actually explain all the same plot twists, seeing as I'm sure people that haven't read the books are a little confused right now.

I have a huge crush on Helena Bonham Carter. Who knew mad could look so good?
Old December 15th, 2010, 9:42 am
Suteki da ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
And look how bad that one ended up compared to the original. Also stuff like the Karate Kid was made during a time where the pop culture in the original was 20 some odd years old. Thing about Harry Potter is that in order for kids to relate, it doesnt have to be remade to mirror the pop culture of the new age.
I haven't actually seen it, I was only using it as an example. Anyway, there are plenty of people who did like it, and plenty of younger people who haven't even seen the original. Chances are it'll happen like that. Companies don't seem to mind remaking older films if they've got a chance of making money, and let's face it, Harry Potter is a big moneymaker. No, it doesn't have to be remade to mirror the pop culture, but as technology evolves, we don't know what's coming 20 years down the line. Besides, if they remake them, they might follow the story of the books a bit differently, which means it'd be a completely different experience. There was enough left out in the films that you could change with the small details in the books to make the films in a different way.

If you change your mind
Old December 15th, 2010, 10:02 am
First Year

My first thought to this question was "year, of course it will be remade!", and guess what: that´s still my answer. And there is one simple explanation for it - the books have not been properly adapted now, so when we (the fans that have grown up with harry potter) get old enough to have a job on our own, some would sit down and do it again - true to the story! But they would properly need to make it as a series, for that´s the only way to get enough time to complete it

PS. If you haven´t noticed, Harry Potter rules!
Old December 15th, 2010, 11:42 am
First Year

At this point, I would say they won't be remade. Not only would it be an eight-movie undertaking, I can't see the demand for Harry Potter films increasing as time goes on. We've already had them. No matter how high in esteem the books may be held later in time, there will already be a high-quality, successful movie adaptation. I don't think any studio will really want to touch a Harry Potter remake, as there would not be nearly a large enough audience for the venture. Certainly, some people still see film adaptations of old books (Sherlock Holmes comes readily to mind) but that's because they've usually never been given a quality film treatment. The Potter series has.

Furthermore, unless it's done a hundred years from now, a remade Potter film series will have to contend with not only our visions from the books, but the first film series as well. Compound the people who refuse to see the movie adaptations now because "the films are never as good as the books" with those who will say "They can never replace Dan, Rupert and Emma as the Trio, so I'm not going to see it," or something similar. Too many people will refuse to see it because it can't live up to their expectations.

Old December 15th, 2010, 1:08 pm
First Year

It all comes down to the question, whether the remake will be good or bad. Avatar wasn´t that big of a success to begin with, but after the first couple of people had seen it, it all snowballed because it were a great movie! Yes it will be hard, but who says it can´t be made any better that these ones? I, for my part, think it can.
And by the way, there is lots and LOTS of quotes where people say things can´t be any better: for instance: “We will never make a 32 bit operating system.” — Bill Gates, or “The cinema is little more than a fad. It’s canned drama. What audiences really want to see is flesh and blood on the stage.” -– Charlie Chaplin, actor, producer, director, and studio founder, 1916...
Why shouldn´t the movie industry improve heavily in the next 50 years!... I just say, why not?

PS. If you haven´t noticed, Harry Potter rules!
Old December 15th, 2010, 3:59 pm
Fifth Year

I don't think we can hope for a more faithful adaptation of the book to film, not now, not in the future. Books and movies are two different media, each with their own pros and cons. Warner Bros knows this, Steve Kloves knows this, and JKR herself understands and agrees with this (per her interviews)
I feel that, frankly, it's remarkable how close and faithful the movies have been so far. Films are constrained by time limits.. no one wants to sit and watch a movie for 6 hours. Books have much more liberty in that regard,so naturally, things have to be chopped when transitioned from page to big screen, and in doing that, sometimes some things also have to be switched around a bit, like Neville giving Harry the gillyweed in GoF instead of Dobby. In fact, Neville has replaced Dobby quite a few times (finding the RoR in OotP too). Other times, things simply have to excluded entirely (SPEW, for example)
Nothing in the real world is perfect, and this includes the movies naturally, but all in all, I think us HP fans have been very lucky. There have certainly been far worse or less faithful adaptations.

That said, while I find it hard to imagine the story being retold again in the future in film remakes, who knows?
If nothing else, the technology will be astounding by today's standards, no doubt everything will be in 3D without the need for special glasses. Television will be there in 5 or 6 years, they're already working on it.
I'd like to see movies somehow incorporate more audience participation to create a "you are there, you're even a part of the story" experience somehow. I dunno, just guessing.
I think the hardest thing, however, will be casting. The casting seems, for the most part, almost perfect, though I am not a Michael Gambon as DD fan; and as much as I like Rupert G, he doesn't quite fit the physical description of Ron, as least, not facially (the nose and build are all wrong).
Everyone else though, seems just perfect. In fact, if I look forward to one thing, it'd be a Dumbledore that reminds me more of Richard Harris.
Lastly, in 20 years time or so, sadly, John Williams will have probably passed away. I just can't imagine anyone ever outdoing his scores. The man is in a league all by himself!

Old December 15th, 2010, 7:56 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grymmditch View Post
I don't think we can hope for a more faithful adaptation of the book to film, not now, not in the future. Books and movies are two different media, each with their own pros and cons. Warner Bros knows this, Steve Kloves knows this, and JKR herself understands and agrees with this (per her interviews)
I feel that, frankly, it's remarkable how close and faithful the movies have been so far. Films are constrained by time limits.. no one wants to sit and watch a movie for 6 hours. Books have much more liberty in that regard,so naturally, things have to be chopped when transitioned from page to big screen, and in doing that, sometimes some things also have to be switched around a bit, like Neville giving Harry the gillyweed in GoF instead of Dobby. In fact, Neville has replaced Dobby quite a few times (finding the RoR in OotP too). Other times, things simply have to excluded entirely (SPEW, for example)
Nothing in the real world is perfect, and this includes the movies naturally, but all in all, I think us HP fans have been very lucky. There have certainly been far worse or less faithful adaptations.

That said, while I find it hard to imagine the story being retold again in the future in film remakes, who knows?
If nothing else, the technology will be astounding by today's standards, no doubt everything will be in 3D without the need for special glasses. Television will be there in 5 or 6 years, they're already working on it.
I'd like to see movies somehow incorporate more audience participation to create a "you are there, you're even a part of the story" experience somehow. I dunno, just guessing.
I think the hardest thing, however, will be casting. The casting seems, for the most part, almost perfect, though I am not a Michael Gambon as DD fan; and as much as I like Rupert G, he doesn't quite fit the physical description of Ron, as least, not facially (the nose and build are all wrong).
Everyone else though, seems just perfect. In fact, if I look forward to one thing, it'd be a Dumbledore that reminds me more of Richard Harris.
Lastly, in 20 years time or so, sadly, John Williams will have probably passed away. I just can't imagine anyone ever outdoing his scores. The man is in a league all by himself!
I agree with everything you have said about the adaptation process. I saw a video with producer David Heyman and he said that Kloves gets to break down the novel and present the script to Jo, who reads it through and advises him on certain things. The script is then shown to the director and producers and finally the studio. I don't think some fans realise how much effort goes into adapting these novels.

About your comments on Gambon - I think he's great as Dumbledore. Neither Harris or Gambon are perfect, but if you were to combine the qualities of each portrayal, then I'd imagine the outcome would be the perfect Dumbledore.

And yeah, John Williams is an extremely sensational composer. However, I have read that the "next great composer" to be recognised is Alexandre Desplat, who scored Hallows Part 1. Desplat has scored loads of other popular scores and he's a favourite with the Academy. I think he has great potential to be a really great rising star, because he is one of the most in-demand film composers of modern times, apparently. It makes me proud that he and Williams have scored at least twice for a Potter film (Desplat will be scoring Part 2 as well).

I'm not sure about remakes tbh. I am so thrilled with the movies we have now as well as the theme park which is based off the movies (and books). Nah I wouldn't want remakes. This Harry Potter legacy is something special. Something to cherish.

Old December 17th, 2010, 12:03 am
Second Year

Not a fan of remakes, and I couldn't imagine a different Harry, Ron and Hermione! I've grown up with them as those people, and watched them grow up, even if they are like eight years older than me! Some of us grew up with this legacy, and I don't want it ruined when I'm 40 odd because they've brung in some random other people.

I have a huge crush on Helena Bonham Carter. Who knew mad could look so good?
Old December 17th, 2010, 2:30 pm
First Year

doubt it - too many - too expensive - too many people already love the movies - but i could possible see a tv series or fan made movies that hit big time like stories about James, lily, Seamus, Sirius and their generation.

Ignatious then greeted death as an old friend and together they departed this world as equals
Old January 6th, 2011, 2:25 am
First Year

IF the movies are remade, it should only be adding/taking out scenes that were already filmed, not completely different movies and actors.

Please leave feedback for it at: Great Serpent Feedback

Ravenclaw: For those of wit and learning.

"Rowling wrote one of the sweetest relationships in literature without even knowing it."- HermioneCrookshanks919 of fanfiction.net

Harmony 4ever!

The greatest love story never told. H/Hr till the end.
Old January 6th, 2011, 2:41 am
First Year

I think in MANY MANY years, once the technology and effects used in these movies are far obsolete, that there is a chance they remake these movies. But I don't see that happening within the next 200 years, so I could be completely wrong.

Old January 6th, 2011, 3:18 am
Second Year

I don't think that the movies will be remade. There are too many and it's just too expensive like someone mentioned before. I really hope that if they make more Harry Potter movies, they make one that takes place during the Marauders era. I hope that JKR also writes on the Marauders as well. I would love to read about that.

©GryffnSoldier
| USE KNOWLEDGE FOR POWER |
PROUD SLYTHERCLAW

HereThere
Old January 6th, 2011, 3:31 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Almost everything gets remade sooner or later.

Old January 6th, 2011, 3:35 am
First Year

I think it will in twenty or thirty years from now..HP will be popular among young kids once again and maybe..another film company might be interested in it...who knows? But I don't think it would be eight films..maybe they would film two books in one film or something..

Old January 6th, 2011, 4:44 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBelle View Post
I think it will in twenty or thirty years from now..HP will be popular among young kids once again and maybe..another film company might be interested in it...who knows? But I don't think it would be eight films..maybe they would film two books in one film or something..
Another film company might be interested, but just let them try!! Believe me, WB has a death grip on those rights and isn't likely to give them up easily! Can you imagine Disney letting someone else re-make one of their classic movies? Same thing with HP and WB.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies