Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Will The Movies Be Remade Years From Now?

Old November 25th, 2011, 10:03 pm
First Year

Re: Will The Movies Be Remade Years From Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan_Kleks View Post
Mini series might work better than films or tv-series, only because it could than for example cut down the books per three episodes. They could do it in the HBO way, an episode is almost a movie of its own, two hours max, I think they could squeeze in a lot more cannon information into it that way. Help create the setting, the character development (which I think the movies had a problem setting up) and so forth.

It would be good if the series 're-imagined' in a few years time.
I was thinking about this myself, it was being discussed on a non HP related board, in light of HBO's Game of Thrones. But they are two completely different pieces of work. I was thinking as well that a mini series would work better than a tv series. For one thing, a tv series would actually be quite difficult, going through an entire season with an 11 year old as the protagonist. For a book, or a movie. It's not so bad, but you rarely see television series not intended strictly for children like that.

But a mini series could work. It would be easier in some ways because you could cast without having to wait and see what happens. Because you'd have to cast both an 11 year old Harry, and a 17 year old one. So, you could choose the best possible Harry for both ages. I can't see a traditional tv series working for HP. I think it's more because of the way the story is told. But a mini series is more like an extended movie, which would work better. I don't think anyone expects re makes anytime soon. But 10 - 20 years. I think it could. It's almost a certainty it will happen one day anyway even if takes a long time. Why wouldn't it?

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2011, 6:26 am
First Year

I wouldn't mind if they would, as long as talented and experienced filmmakers are behind it. Most people don't like remakes because remakes usually turn out bad, but I think Harry Potter will become a timeless tale that future artists should be free to reimagine. They could fix some of the flaws with the original series, such as the lack of continuity that comes with having a slew of different directors. And, think about this, in twenty, thirty or fifty years, the way we watch movies could change dramatically. Movies themselves may even become obsolete, replaced by some other form of visual story telling. The stories could be re imagined in this new yet-to-be-known medium. Who knows what the world of the future has in store. A wise man once said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic," so a new rendition of Harry Potter could be just as magical as the stories themselves.

Old November 30th, 2011, 9:58 am
First Year

I'm sure there'll be some American remake in 10-20 years time. What is it with America remaking everything? Can the majority of the population not watch shows from other countries? I don't get it.

Old December 3rd, 2011, 12:01 am
Second Year

I consider the Harry Potter saga to be as timeless as any story. It has great appeal to such a vast audience. I have no doubt that these stories will be retold, probably more than once, and probably sooner than most of us think.

I also believe that, when the movies are re-adapted, they will be one of the few that are actually better than the originals.

Old December 5th, 2011, 11:29 am
Second Year

I dont want it to happen,I love these movies the way they are

"By all means continue destroying my possessions,Harry. I daresay I have too many."
Old December 5th, 2011, 11:32 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Phoenix89 View Post
I dont want it to happen,I love these movies the way they are
I agree... but given the way the film industry works I have no doubt that at some point in the future someone will decide to remake them...( thinking that they can make a lot of money from them...)

Old December 5th, 2011, 4:08 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
funny you should start this thread because I was thinking the other day about whether it would be worth it... I think the way to go in my opinion is animation and a series rather than movies. That way each episode could get the details out of the books.

There seem to be quite a few great graphic artists on this site so how about it!
Either that, or they'll be redone using a new medium like moving holograms that will enable you to feel like you're in the story like on the holodeck of the Enterprise in Star Trek The Next Generation.

Old December 5th, 2011, 5:59 pm
First Year

Dear god I hope it's not remade. That would be terrifically awful. I'm sure Jo could somehow stop it from happening right?

Old December 13th, 2011, 6:46 am
First Year

I think that they eventually will remake them. If nothing else, the studio will do it for the money and for new child actors to get a new shot at the acting world. Also with greater special effects the movies will be more of a spectacle than ever. They may add in material that wasn't used in the original and maybe they would even add in stuff from Pottermore (new information that is). I'd think it would be great.

Old December 14th, 2011, 12:25 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayss View Post
Dear god I hope it's not remade. That would be terrifically awful. I'm sure Jo could somehow stop it from happening right?
i doubt she will allow it

Old December 14th, 2011, 1:04 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonHarry View Post
i doubt she will allow it
Once her copywrite expires the books become part of the public domain and she has no legal ability to stop the movies from being remade.

Of course, that will be 70 years after she dies, 95 years after first publication or 120 years from creation so they've still got time to sweet talk her into letting them remake the films.

Personally I hope they do. The trajectory of the films would be a lot better, you know, knowing the end and all...

Old December 14th, 2011, 1:56 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Unless there is a reversion clause (which are rare and even rarer for a first time author) the rights for future cinematic versions belong to WB, not JKR.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old December 14th, 2011, 4:49 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
... the rights for future cinematic versions belong to WB, not JKR.
Than it's really WB's choice about whether they want to remake the films or not. I don't think they will until they decide tprofits from the first series are diminished enough.

Maybe they're hoping the HP film series will enter into legendary film status and never be remade like Star Wars IV, V and IV or The Wizard of Oz which, aside from The Wiz, was never technically 'remade' only revisioned into other stories like Wicked.

Plus there's the simple cost and committment of actors required to make another seven or eight film series which I think they lucked out on the first time around.

Old December 14th, 2011, 5:13 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
Plus there's the simple cost and committment of actors required to make another seven or eight film series which I think they lucked out on the first time around.
That's an interesting problem! First of all, you've got the issue of having a trio of young actors whom you can depend on to mature in the way you want to. This trio worked out well, but we have no idea how lucky they really were, in regards to that; possible answers range from "somewhat" to "phenomenally." The accuracy of talent evaluation doesn't permit the answer to drop anywhere below "somewhat," in my opinion.

And then, consider the adult actors. Is there any chance of getting such an elite group of adult actors to go in on a remake? A small one, surely.

So not impossible, no, but a rather daunting challenge, just to cast a remake.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Old December 14th, 2011, 6:14 pm
Fifth Year

If some studio sees a chance to make money off of it, then somehow they'll try to film remakes. If there are no apparent dollar signs in it, then nah, won't happen. To put it in a nutshell, that is.

For the most part, I don't usually care for remakes, with only a few exceptions, I think the originals are generally better. The WB HP movies are already classics, made during the era when the books were still being written. No remake will ever be able to match that sense of anticipation and "liveliness", and ride the crest of of the wave of Pottermania.
I suppose on one hand, one might consider that it might be nice to have a series of movies that didn't have any of the inconsistencies the classics did, especially between the first two and last five: change of Dumbledore, change of Hogwarts/Hagrid's hut, change of Flitwick... though these aren't huge issues and can't justify remakes alone.

One thing I admit I've sometimes privately mused about however: assuming future CGI and phonetics manipulation capabilities, I'd kinda like to see the last 5 movies touched up with a CGI Richard Harris in place of Gambon; maybe computers could even recreate the phonetics of RH's voice. That doesn't solve the problem of the lousy script of GoF though, where DD frequently does not behave at all like DD should. Maybe those scenes (actors and set) could be entirely recreated in CGI and rewritten. Most of the original movies, of course, can be left untouched.
Though, sometimes I wonder if my biggest objection to Gambon's DD isn't Gambon so much, but the change of wardrobe they did to DD. Richard Harris wore some royal looking robes with deep rich colors, befit of a wizard of his status; Gambon has to wear what looks like.. well, pajamas, to me.. and a pale, lackluster robin egg's blue color at that. Just yuck.

Old December 29th, 2011, 9:07 pm
First Year

I'm thinking maybe ten or twenty years down the line, they should make an animated adaptation of Harry Potter. I think they should use traditional-style animation, not 3D CG animation. I think it would look great. This could be a way of distinguishing it from the original series. Animation shouldn't be just for kids; they can make it just as serious and mature as the books.

Last edited by dmeagher101; December 29th, 2011 at 9:10 pm.
Old December 30th, 2011, 5:18 am
First Year

I really hope they do! It would be magnificent if the current actors could be called back in the future films as older characters. I wish to see Daniel act as Sirius or James and Rupert as his Arthur Weasly!

If I was a Time Lord, I know that I would go to the world's biggest library and just read.
I want to be remembered as the girl who was there when she was needed, and the one who was the nicest of all.
Old December 30th, 2011, 11:04 am
Banned

That's kind of like asking if the sun will come up tomorrow. Of course they will remake the films. 10 years from now they will be dated and the special effects will be completey different. As long as theboks remain popular there will be remakes. Hopefully they'll do a better job next time.

Old December 30th, 2011, 2:40 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJPotter View Post
Hopefully they'll do a better job next time.
I doubt it. Perhaps the first two, but then they can't be mere visual audio books; changes are necessary for a better structured storyline with PS and for an engaging CoS as opposed to the bore we got.

Old December 30th, 2011, 3:36 pm
Sixth Year

Good lord, I hope not. That would be like remaking the first Jaws or the 3 original Star Wars movies. The story has been told, it doesn't need to be done again... And you really can't put any kind of modern 'spin' on it to make it seem worthwhile.

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies