Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Will The Movies Be Remade Years From Now?

Old December 30th, 2011, 3:37 pm
Banned

Re: Will The Movies Be Remade Years From Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
I doubt it. Perhaps the first two, but then they can't be mere visual audio books; changes are necessary for a better structured storyline with PS and for an engaging CoS as opposed to the bore we got.
I don't want a visual audi book, I just want to be able to connect the books to the films in some way. The first 2 films were more or less visual audio books, but they weren't the greatest films IMO. POA came closer to being a stand alone very good film. the storyline didn't stick that closely to the book but the tone, characters and timing all worked together. Cuarzon got for the most part the best performances from his cast and the visuals were a treat that complimented the dalogue. Films are a visual medium but they also have a soundtrack. I guess if I had one wish, I'd wish that all the books could be done under the guiding hand of one person who understood how to tell the story coherently.

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2011, 6:36 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJPotter View Post
That's kind of like asking if the sun will come up tomorrow. Of course they will remake the films. 10 years from now they will be dated and the special effects will be completey different. As long as theboks remain popular there will be remakes. Hopefully they'll do a better job next time.

Really? Star Wars hasn't been remade. Wizard of Oz hasn't been remade. (Unless you want to count the animated version). Not even Gone with the Wind has been remade and it really should be. Usually classics are not remade.

Old December 30th, 2011, 7:00 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
Really? Star Wars hasn't been remade. Wizard of Oz hasn't been remade. (Unless you want to count the animated version). Not even Gone with the Wind has been remade and it really should be. Usually classics are not remade.
Well IMHO the Harry Potter films are far from classics. There is one great classic called 'The Maltese Falcon'. Great film, adapted from a great book. The last one was the 3rd version and Bette Davis was in one of the really lousy versions made before John Houston decided to try his hand. Of all the moves made in Hollywood I think GWTW is the one film that will be safe from remakes. George Lucas owns Star Wars and it's under copyright, so that will be safe from remake for a while. The Wizard of Oz...wasn't there a really bad version made in the 70's with Micheal Jackson? I truthfully don't think there is much interest in it nowadays, but you never know.

Old December 30th, 2011, 7:15 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
The Wizard of Oz...wasn't there a really bad version made in the 70's with Micheal Jackson?
The Wiz was a screen adaptation of a musical based on the Wizard of Oz.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old December 30th, 2011, 7:59 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Well IMHO the Harry Potter films are far from classics. There is one great classic called 'The Maltese Falcon'. Great film, adapted from a great book. The last one was the 3rd version and Bette Davis was in one of the really lousy versions made before John Houston decided to try his hand. Of all the moves made in Hollywood I think GWTW is the one film that will be safe from remakes. George Lucas owns Star Wars and it's under copyright, so that will be safe from remake for a while. The Wizard of Oz...wasn't there a really bad version made in the 70's with Micheal Jackson? I truthfully don't think there is much interest in it nowadays, but you never know.

Well, if you count "The Wiz" which I wasn't. Also, now we are venturing into "Define: Classics"

Old December 30th, 2011, 8:03 pm
First Year

Hmm. I think that they might try to remake them eventually. I'm mostly dreading it-I mean, no one can play Snape as well as Alan Rickman, in my opinion. But if they make them when and if I have children, and they're actually close to the plot of the books, then I could show my kids, "This is what is was like being part of the Potter generation." And it wouldn't feel like the end of an era anymore.

Old December 30th, 2011, 8:11 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

They are making an animated version of the Wizard of Oz. Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory was remade. Superhero movies get "remade" all the time. It is possible Harry Potter could be remade.

Do I want it to be remade? Ask me again in 20 years. Right now, Dan Radcliffe is my Harry, Rupert Grint is my Ron, and Emma Watson is my Hermione. I don't want anyone replacing them.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old December 30th, 2011, 8:55 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
Well, if you count "The Wiz" which I wasn't. Also, now we are venturing into "Define: Classics"
Uh, I think you were the one who mentioned classics in relation to Harry Potter films. If you want to consider them classics I won't tell you not to. I don't think they're classics and it has been 10 years since the first one was made. I don't know of one person who would call it a classic, but to each their own.

Old December 31st, 2011, 3:25 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Uh, I think you were the one who mentioned classics in relation to Harry Potter films. If you want to consider them classics I won't tell you not to. I don't think they're classics and it has been 10 years since the first one was made. I don't know of one person who would call it a classic, but to each their own.
Yes, MsJ.

Old December 31st, 2011, 10:33 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
That's kind of like asking if the sun will come up tomorrow. Of course they will remake the films. 10 years from now they will be dated and the special effects will be completey different. As long as theboks remain popular there will be remakes. Hopefully they'll do a better job next time.
I cannot imagine there exists a director who would want to commit to making seven films over a ten year period. What director would want to be restricted like that? There are other stories in the world besides HP. I can't see this particular phenomonen being repeated, especially with just one director at the helm. After all, long-standing film franchises like the Bond movies have multiple directors! It is not realistic, IMO, to suppose that the HP films would have been any different.

I agree with the others who think a mini-series down the line might be feasible. But not a repeat of yet another seven or eight films spread out over a decade. The logistics are complex - as it is, the HP franchise was fortunate to have a young cast that aged fairly naturally over the decade.

We don't know how film technology will develop in the future. . But I honestly can't see the HP film phenomonen being repeated.

Old December 31st, 2011, 1:17 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
I cannot imagine there exists a director who would want to commit to making seven films over a ten year period. What director would want to be restricted like that? There are other stories in the world besides HP. I can't see this particular phenomonen being repeated, especially with just one director at the helm. After all, long-standing film franchises like the Bond movies have multiple directors! It is not realistic, IMO, to suppose that the HP films would have been any different.

I agree with the others who think a mini-series down the line might be feasible. But not a repeat of yet another seven or eight films spread out over a decade. The logistics are complex - as it is, the HP franchise was fortunate to have a young cast that aged fairly naturally over the decade.

We don't know how film technology will develop in the future. . But I honestly can't see the HP film phenomonen being repeated.
[/i][/i]

I agree with this. I just can't see the series being done as a series of movies again. I think what they accomplished, keeping those same child actors over ten years was a remarkable feat. I do agree, that it's possible that it could be moved into some kind of mini series like thing, but not a real remake. Perhaps a twist, extension or interpretation. I think before when I didn't include The Wiz in my inventory of 'remakes', it's because The Wiz isn't a remake of the Movie of Wizard of Oz. It's an interpretation of the Frank Baum story.

Old December 31st, 2011, 2:30 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

These movies were simply just not very good in comparison to the books with the exception of PoA, in my opinion, and I used to wish they would get remade all the time. However, I've come to the conclusion that they've actually done a good job when you look at the mess being made of other book to movie series so I can't say I'm eager right now. Maybe 20 years from now but not too soon. Dan, Rupert and Emma did a marvelous job and I don't think a remake anytime soon would be any better.

Old December 31st, 2011, 3:37 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post

If there had been a single director helming all the films I might have agreed with you. The fact is there were 4 directors and 2 screenwriters for the films. Yeah, they kept the same actors for the most part, but lets face it...as it's pointed out Rickman, Smith and all the others didn't exactly work for long periods on the films. A week here and week there over the period. The bulk of the films concentrated on the Trio just like the books. Now I could see that precedent influencing another trio of actors down the road, very easily. It would be great if a remake could have just one director who was good at his job take it on. Maybe someone in the future will want to do it out of love for the books. Like Peter Jackson wanted to do LOTR with every fiber of his being. I think that was what was missing from the Harry Potter films. I don't think there was one single passionate driving force through the entire saga. It was a job, nothing more nothing less IMO, my very sad opinion. I think it showed, It showed in the continuity, it showed in the direction and it sure showed in the scripts. Maybe it's me but I don't remember reading one thing in the publicity about anyone fighting to get on the production team because of love for the Harry Potter books. Even WB was only interested because they thought it would make money. That's fine, they're a business at the end of the day. But I sure didn't read anything about Steve Kloves taking a huge risk with his own money like Peter Jackson did to get the backing for LOTR. I think that's what a remade series would need, a single passionate vision with love for the source matériel.

Old December 31st, 2011, 3:52 pm

You'd be hard-pressed to find a director who would be willing to do a seven-movie cycle of adapted material. If it were their own project, then yes, but an adapted work which had already been done, I don't think so. That it was an adapted work was one of the reasons Terry Gilliam was not too disappointed to be passed over.

Quote:
Like Peter Jackson wanted to do LOTR with every fiber of his being.
No, he didn't. At the time he was looking to do an original story but kept coming up with ideas which were derivative of LotR and so made enquiries about the rights.

Peter Jackson...it wasn't how people might imagine, you know, "'Lord of the Rings' is a film I've always wanted to make and now was my opportunity," it wasn't like that at all. It was, "Think of an original idea" and we couldn't, and we kept referring to 'Lord of the Rings' as, you know, an example of what we wanted to do.

At The Movies

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old December 31st, 2011, 4:06 pm
Zonko's Employee

I agree, Wab.

Also, nobody who has seen the interviews and documentaries could deny the genuine warmth and affection the cast and crew feel for these films.

Old December 31st, 2011, 4:11 pm
Banned

Quote:
=Wab;5956675]You'd be hard-pressed to find a director who would be willing to do a seven-movie cycle of adapted material. If it were their own project, then yes, but an adapted work which had already been done, I don't think so. That it was an adapted work was one of the reasons Terry Gilliam was not too disappointed to be passed over.
That kind of sounds like a sad excuse Wab. Sure it wouldn't be easy to find a really good director that would want to do it as a job, but maybe one who wanted to do it for love of the job?

Quote:
No, he didn't. At the time he was looking to do an original story but kept coming up with ideas which were derivative of LotR and so made enquiries about the rights.

Peter Jackson...it wasn't how people might imagine, you know, "'Lord of the Rings' is a film I've always wanted to make and now was my opportunity," it wasn't like that at all. It was, "Think of an original idea" and we couldn't, and we kept referring to 'Lord of the Rings' as, you know, an example of what we wanted to do.

At The Movies
I could be wrong but you know that sounds an awful lot like he was very interested in doing LOTR. I know there was a lot of tangled threads in aquiring the rights. It sounded to me like he was always interested in LOTR but he thought the rights couldn't be got. It still doesn't change the fact that he did have a driving passion for the project and worked like a dog to get his vision made. That's IMO what Harry Potter would need to be successfully remade. That single driving vision.

Old December 31st, 2011, 4:27 pm

Quote:
That kind of sounds like a sad excuse Wab. Sure it wouldn't be easy to find a really good director that would want to do it as a job, but maybe one who wanted to do it for love of the job?
Good directors are creative people and I doubt you'd ever find a good director who'd basically put his creative career on hold for the ten or so years doing a remake of an adaptation.

A hack director might do it for the job security.

Quote:
I could be wrong but you know that sounds an awful lot like he was very interested in doing LOTR.
Did you actually read the quote. Jackson plainly said LotR wasn't "a film I've always wanted to make" which is a far cry from your claim that it was a film he wanted to make "with every fiber of his being".

Old December 31st, 2011, 4:37 pm
Zonko's Employee

And to add to what Wab has said and as I said before - it is very unlikely that seven films would be remade. We're not talking about standalones here.

As for Peter Jackson, I do believe he had passion for that particular project and that it showed. . Didn't make him more faithful to the source material though. .

Old December 31st, 2011, 4:42 pm
Banned

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Good directors are creative people and I doubt you'd ever find a good director who'd basically put his creative career on hold for the ten or so years doing a remake of an adaptation.

A hack director might do it for the job security.
I think that's sad. It's sort of what we already got, 4 directors who just 'took on the job.' I really don't see why any director would look at the project and not see the artistic possibilitie,s but maybe your right. Maybe there aren't any directors/writers/producers out there who wouldn't see it as anything but a soul killing slog. I will just put my faith in the future, that there may just be someone who has read the books and would want to do it because it would be a fantastic chance to produce something outstanding. I sure think that the source material they would have to work with is outstanding.

Quote:
Did you actually read the quote. Jackson plainly said LotR wasn't "a film I've always wanted to make" which is a far cry from your claim that it was a film he wanted to make "with every fiber of his being".
Well all I can say is that is the impression I got from his description of his trip to LA and the rounds he did to try and get the backing to make the films. The gamble he took with the script and the effort he put in while actually making the films. It sure didn't look like 'just another job' attitude to me. It looked to me like a man who really, really wanted to make the films. I know he had seen the Ralph Bakshi film and he was impressed by the story as a very young man. I actually don't think what he did could have been done that if it was just another job. He wrote the script, he sought out financing and he worked too hard on making the films for it to be anything less than something dear to his heart. IMO anyway.

Old December 31st, 2011, 5:01 pm

Quote:
Well all I can say is that is the impression I got from his description of his trip to LA and the rounds he did to try and get the backing to make the films. The gamble he took with the script and the effort he put in while actually making the films. It sure didn't look like 'just another job' attitude to me. It looked to me like a man who really, really wanted to make the films. I know he had seen the Ralph Bakshi film and he was impressed by the story as a very young man. I actually don't think what he did could have been done that if it was just another job. He wrote the script, he sought out financing and he worked too hard on making the films for it to be anything less than something dear to his heart. IMO anyway.
As I said, directors are creative people. And successful creative people are passionate. I have no quibble about Jackson's dedication to LotR once he had taken it on but it was not a film he had yearned to make beforehand.

And having invested time and effort in writing the script it was natural that he would be tenacious in getting it into production.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies