Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Harry Potter: Character Analysis

View Poll Results: What are Harry's greatest strengths?
Loyalty 276 55.42%
Determination 290 58.23%
Quick Thinking 151 30.32%
Compassion 241 48.39%
Bravery 330 66.27%
Planning 23 4.62%
Insight 55 11.04%
*gush* I just love him SO MUCH! 94 18.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 498. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 28th, 2007, 9:18 pm
First Year

Re: Harry Potter: Character Analysis

8. Why do you think Harry forgave Snape?

I think he forgave Snape because he saw why he killed Dumbledore and knew that he wasn't a bad person after all.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2007, 12:30 am
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux_man View Post
Why do you think Harry forgave Snape?
I think Harry felt some common ground with Snape when he found out that Snape loved Lily and mourned her just as Harry did.

Old July 29th, 2007, 2:12 pm
Inconceivable!

Why
Quote:
do you think Harry forgave Snape?
I admit that I was surprised that Harry forgave Snape quite so quickly. But we saw how Harry honors Dobby by the burial he gave him. I think that Harry saw the big picture. He appreciated the fact that Snape risked his own life to keep him alive. I think that is what he is honoring.

Harry has traveled a million miles further in his journey than the average person. He had to make the ultimate sacrifice, his own life, so that others could live. Holding a grudge because some teacher in his past called him names seems really petty after all that has happened to Harry. Some people are able to look past that kind of abuse and realize that the abuser is the flawed character and not the abused. He was able to move past what the Dursleys had done to him and he was able to move past the bad things Snape had done.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old July 29th, 2007, 9:10 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

My favourite Harry Potter remains the HBP Harry Potter. That guy was the realest Harry Potter to me. He was someone I could actually identify with and he came off as completely realistic and a completely true person. I cannot say the same for Deathly Hallows Harry Potter. I read this review of Deathly Hallows and while I don't necessarily agree with all the points she has made she hit upon something I just found really wrong with Harry Potter in Deathly Hallows.

ReviewBack to that first principle of storytelling: A story is about someone who changes. And, puberty aside, Harry doesn't change much. As envisioned by Rowling, he walks the path of good so unwaveringly that his final victory over Voldemort feels, not just inevitable, but hollow.

He was too unwaveringly good. It came off a little absurd at times. There was no interesting dilemma for him at all. Even the part where he asked Voldemort if he would show remorse (or something like that). He was completely one-dimensional for the whole book. Hermione was similar too except I was able to really like her character because her relationship with Ron gave her some dimension. I don't know what happened but it's almost as if JK focused all her good character writing and development on Ron Weasley for the first time. He was the most interesting and charismatic member of the Trio this time around. For the first time in all the books, Ron has actually been my definite favourite character and that has never happened before. It has always been Dumbledore and Harry. I realized upon further reflection that it was because Dumbledore was dead and his early life was not as interesting as it could have been and Harry became almost completely one dimensional during this. It was a little disappointing.

Also, I do not get why he named his kid Severus. Maybe JK needs to explain that one a little further. I agree that Snaped helped a lot and without his assistance a lot may have been lost but I just don't see what he did as good enough and morally right enough for Harry to think he was worthy of a name and none of the kids are named after Sirius or Lupin or just anyone else who I think were worthier of the name. Also, doesn't Ginny have anyone special she wants to name her kid after?

Cheers

Old July 29th, 2007, 11:39 pm
Second Year

Harry named one of his children after Snape because Snape basically gave up his whole life to help Harry. He didn't have to, infact, it would've been much easier for him to simply abandon Harry and the "good guys." But Snape stayed true to his mission until the end, a mission which forced him to split from almost everyone else in the world.

I mean, come on. Snape had no friends. Lily was dead, and she thought that Snape betrayed her by joining Voldemort. The Order of the Phoenix didn't trust him, and they actually ended up hating him because he "murdered" Dumbledore. The Death Eaters were the only people that accepted Severus, and he was working against them! I think that's more than enough reasons for Harry to name someone after Snape, a man who sacrificed his life for the greater good.

Old July 30th, 2007, 11:01 am
Lycanthrope

Harry certainly had a huge capacity for forgiveness - I can barely fathom it. I still have been unable to forgive past professors for far less than what Snape did to Harry.

On another note, Harry did not express his emotions very much. We never hear him say 'I care about you Sirius or Lupin' yet he called them back for the reunion scene with gathering those around him that mean alot to him to help give him courage to face his death (what he thought was going to be death anyway). His reflections and interchanges with them are not all that revealing, but once you see his final move where they are concerned, you can read between the lines in the books and understand his affection for them.

Snape he felt was brave and he forgave him. I don't know if he reached the point of feeling anything more than that, but that was enough for him to be able to acknowledge the man in the way he did. Again, we have no reflection or verbal confirmation about his feelings except the little in the epilogue (and the even less during the final battle).

The little emotional reflection on Harry's part makes it hard to figure the guy out at times. You have to go by his final actions for the most part and read between the lines with all of the other characters except Snape where there are no lines to read.

We know he cared for Molly...and yet he never tells her so and he never reflects that he does either - his reflections are all of an appreciative nature for what she has shown him. But his actions say a thousand words and in the end most would agree he cared for her.

That's our Harry.

Old July 30th, 2007, 4:14 pm
Sixth Year

My take on using the Cruciatus Curse on Amycus is: not only had he spat on Prof McGonagall, but he was also going to tell Voldemort that some of the Ravenclaw students had forced Alecto to use her Dark Mark to call him.

Having seen the results of Voldy's bad temper in his vision (look at the result of the Gringotts break-in to his own DEs at the Malfoy Manor), was Harry going to allow either one of the Carrows to punish the students in their stead?

I wished Harry hadn't used the curse, but I can understand his motivation. He did only use it that once and then went back to his "normal" dueling spells/hexes/jinxes; not even when Crabbe was spitting out Crucio and Avada Kedavra in the RoR, did he respond in kind.

Old July 30th, 2007, 6:28 pm
First Year

1. How do Harry's formative years with the Dursley's influence the person he is now? Would he be the same person if his parents had lived? If he had been sent to live with another wizarding family? If he had been sent to an orphanage like Tom Riddle?
-The Dursleys teach Harry the inevitable desire to fight, and to prove himself. Living with them also makes him more like Voldemort than he may be willing to admit--i.e, he was living in a place he hated.
If his parents had lived, there would be no need for him to prove himself as he seems to have the desire to throughout the entire series, because there would be no need for him to show that he deserves all of the fame that he was gotten. He would not be quite the same person, and his capacity to love may have even been less because of the fact that he would not have been starved of love.
Any other wizarding family would have pampered him, and he may not have found out all of the things about himself that he did. He would be a "pampered little prince", spoiled, and probably more like Malfoy than like the Harry Potter that we all know and love. Dumbledore was right in his decision in Sorcerer's Stone when he first gave them up to the Dursley's. It formed a good character.
If he had been in an orphanage, he may have been more tough, less likely to love and form such bonded friendships as he did. He may have not been starved of love necessarily, but there would be a serious lack of any parental figure. If not all of that, he may have been unnecessarily needy.

2. When do we first see evidence of Harry's "saving people" thing? Is this a strength or a flaw? What do you think of his final sacrifice?
-Harry's "saving people" thing comes to play in the very first book--when he thinks there may be trouble and he sets off to find the cause of it. This desire he has--to save people--is both a strength and flaw, although most of the time, it works to his advantage. It has gotten him in several spots of trouble (mainly in Goblet and Order). His final sacrifice is the exact one that I would have expected him to make. I expect no less of Harry than to want to give up his life so that the rest of the Wizarding world may one day find peace.

3. Harry's natural curiosity was stifled by the Dursleys. "Don't ask questions!" but it comes out it full force once he gets to Hogwarts. How does this curiosity serve him through the books? Has he truly lost it after Dumbledore's death or will it return as he hunts for the horcruxes?
-His curiosity leads him, ultimately, to his ability to defeat Voldemort for good. He discovered many things, fought many battles and faced death many times. His knack for surviving leads him to be able to fight stronger and understand things better, even if he does act irrationally. He may have lost his curiosity for a bit after Dumbledore's death, but it does ultimately come back--for his search for the Horcruxes would be nothing without his ability to question relentlessly. And along the way, he discovers several very important details. (Dumbledore's life, the Hallows, etc.)

4. What do you think are Harry's greatest strengths? What weaknesses did he overcome as the series progressed?
-Harry's greatest strength, of course, is his ability to love no matter what, his natural curiosity, his desire to know everything he can about his surroundings and past, and above all, his nature for good to conquer Evil. As the series progressed, we go from an innocent, hot-tempered child to one who learns a bit of restraint. Although he never fully controls his temper, the ability for him to put a lock on it at times was his greatest growth.

5. How have each of the losses Harry has suffered helped to define who he is?
-He learns that he has to love as it comes, and he fights even harder for the people that he cares about. And it also teaches him that nothing in life ever comes easy, and he can't just sit back and let things happen as they will. They also taught him an important lesson in devotion and guilt.

6 Dumbledore tells him that his pure heart is what seperates him from Voldemort and his Death Eaters. What examples have we seen of this pure heart?
-His desire to help all of the people who are being petrified, his desire to rescue Gabrielle Delacour from the bottom of the ocean, the acceptance of Sirius as his godfather, him saving Pettigrew from death, his forgiveness of both Snape and Dumbledore, wanting to rescue Sirius and Mr. Weasley, and his desire not to be famous, but to have a normal life, and want to do things for the ultimate Good.

7. What do you think of Harry's use of Unforgivables in DH?
-Not as Unforgivable as the name may suggest. He's become a bit hardened over the course of seven years, but it still suggests that he's fighting for what's right, and uses them only in the most supreme situations--and to save lives.

8. Why do you think Harry forgave Snape?
-He saw the ultimate good in what the man did, how brave he was was, and the ultimate sacrifice that he made. Harry could understand, because he sacrificed his happiness with Ginny so that he could go fight the battle, but he eventually got her back. Snape never got the chance to redeem himself to Lily.

9. JKR tells us that he and Ron became Aurors and revolutionized the department? Do you think this was a good choice for him? What changes do you think he might have made?
-Harry made the right decision in becoming an Auror. It seemed almost chosen for him to do that after fighting dark Wizards his entire life. He probably made several big changes in the department, starting with the curses that can be used, and how to catch the Wizards, along with the punishments. Fairness and equality would be ultimate to him, no matter what you did.

Old July 30th, 2007, 9:59 pm
She Who Walks Behind

News on Harry using Unforgivables:

Bloomsbury Live Chat
Barbara:
I was very disappointed to see harry use crucio and seem to enjoy it his failure to perform that kind of curse in the past has been a credit to his character why the change, and did harry later regret having enjoyed deliberately causing pain

J.K. Rowling:
Harry is not, and never has been, a saint. Like Snape, he is flawed and mortal.

Harry's faults are primarily anger and occasional arrogance.

On this occasion, he is very angry and acts accordingly. He is also in an extreme situation, and attempting to defend somebody very good against a violent and murderous opponent.

We know that Harry is no Saint, he showed it often enough in the books. But using Unforgivables and step on the level of the enemies, when there are other possibilities, is still bad IMO.

Arrogance?

The End of the Dream.
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:00 am
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by BublGumPnkHar View Post
I wished Harry hadn't used the curse, but I can understand his motivation. He did only use it that once and then went back to his "normal" dueling spells/hexes/jinxes; not even when Crabbe was spitting out Crucio and Avada Kedavra in the RoR, did he respond in kind.
Me too. But Harry, despite being a very remarkable person, is still human, and he was severely provoked. I was glad to see that he never used the Avada Kedavra, though, not even against Voldemort!

Old July 31st, 2007, 4:10 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENSHI View Post
We know that Harry is no Saint, he showed it often enough in the books. But using Unforgivables and step on the level of the enemies, when there are other possibilities, is still bad IMO.

Arrogance?
No it's not arrogance. If anything anger- I think it was appropriate for Harry to pull out some unforgivable's. You can't keep fighting with pistols when the opposition shows up with machine guns-

Old July 31st, 2007, 4:17 am
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENSHI View Post
News on Harry using Unforgivables:

Bloomsbury Live Chat
Barbara:
I was very disappointed to see harry use crucio and seem to enjoy it his failure to perform that kind of curse in the past has been a credit to his character why the change, and did harry later regret having enjoyed deliberately causing pain

J.K. Rowling:
Harry is not, and never has been, a saint. Like Snape, he is flawed and mortal.

Harry's faults are primarily anger and occasional arrogance.

On this occasion, he is very angry and acts accordingly. He is also in an extreme situation, and attempting to defend somebody very good against a violent and murderous opponent.

Arrogance?
from Dictionary.com:
arrogant
–adjective 1. making claims or pretensions to superior importance or rights; overbearingly assuming; insolently proud: an arrogant public official.

I was a little surprised to hear JK Rowling say that Harry occassionally was arrogant. That makes Snape right Anyway, looking back at PoA, Harry sneaks off to Hogmead even though everyone is trying their best to keep Harry safe from Sirius Black. Maybe this is an example of Harry's occassional arrogance. He also thinks he must be the one to go on alone, that he can actually save people when others can't (the saving people thing). He went after a basilisk which a normal 12 year old would never even think they were capable of dealing with. Maybe the fact that he thought he could save Ginny when others couldn't is an example of his occaional arrogance. But I certainly don't see him making claims that he is important or superior.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson

Last edited by SusanBones; July 31st, 2007 at 4:20 am.
Old July 31st, 2007, 4:32 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgold View Post
My favourite Harry Potter remains the HBP Harry Potter. That guy was the realest Harry Potter to me. He was someone I could actually identify with and he came off as completely realistic and a completely true person. I cannot say the same for Deathly Hallows Harry Potter. I read this review of Deathly Hallows and while I don't necessarily agree with all the points she has made she hit upon something I just found really wrong with Harry Potter in Deathly Hallows.

ReviewBack to that first principle of storytelling: A story is about someone who changes. And, puberty aside, Harry doesn't change much. As envisioned by Rowling, he walks the path of good so unwaveringly that his final victory over Voldemort feels, not just inevitable, but hollow.

He was too unwaveringly good. It came off a little absurd at times. There was no interesting dilemma for him at all. Even the part where he asked Voldemort if he would show remorse (or something like that). He was completely one-dimensional for the whole book. Hermione was similar too except I was able to really like her character because her relationship with Ron gave her some dimension. I don't know what happened but it's almost as if JK focused all her good character writing and development on Ron Weasley for the first time. He was the most interesting and charismatic member of the Trio this time around. For the first time in all the books, Ron has actually been my definite favourite character and that has never happened before. It has always been Dumbledore and Harry. I realized upon further reflection that it was because Dumbledore was dead and his early life was not as interesting as it could have been and Harry became almost completely one dimensional during this. It was a little disappointing.

Also, I do not get why he named his kid Severus. Maybe JK needs to explain that one a little further. I agree that Snaped helped a lot and without his assistance a lot may have been lost but I just don't see what he did as good enough and morally right enough for Harry to think he was worthy of a name and none of the kids are named after Sirius or Lupin or just anyone else who I think were worthier of the name. Also, doesn't Ginny have anyone special she wants to name her kid after?

Cheers
I think this post hit the nail right on the head. Harry did seem very one dimensional. Many of his emotions are thought and not shown and JKR has a way of cutting short his emotional reflections so he comes across sometimes as a bit of a scatterbrain. It is like she was saying, why do you wish to see inside of his head? There is nothing to see! But I don't think she wanted us to feel that way, it is just the way the book is written.

Sirius was totally left out of the naming scenario. Harry had Teddy Remus Lupin over his house four times a week at least so he had the Remus covered. But I thought Albus-Severus instead of a nod to his godfather was a little too unbelieveable. It is one thing to forgive and even think someone brave. But to substitute Severus for Sirius was like a slap in the face to 3 books of agnoizing reflection by Harry over Sirius and made him seem even more 1 dimensional and flat, like totally missing several marbles.

Again, I don't think that was what JKR intended, and maybe only some people felt that way, but if so, I was certainly one of them.

Old July 31st, 2007, 4:38 am
First Year

I, in a way, agree with harry lacking depth-

As the review said Harry followed the path of good a little too unwaveringly- Should he have expressed more doubt in what he was bound to do?

Old July 31st, 2007, 7:48 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sectumsempra88 View Post
I, in a way, agree with harry lacking depth- As the review said Harry followed the path of good a little too unwaveringly- Should he have expressed more doubt in what he was bound to do?
I think he did in previous books. By the time Harry got to be seventeen, he was ready.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabel View Post
Me too. But Harry, despite being a very remarkable person, is still human, and he was severely provoked. I was glad to see that he never used the Avada Kedavra, though, not even against Voldemort!
After the other two unforgiveables were used, I was really worried that Harry was going to try to Avada Kedavra Voldemort. I would have been very dissapointed if that's how Harry killed him in the end. I liked that Harry's "signature move", the disarming spell was used in the end.

Old July 31st, 2007, 8:06 pm
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Harry has always struggled with his problems, and will always continue to do so, because that's life.

I think Harry's obvious goodness is both a blessing and a curse in terms of his character. On one hand, we have a character we can love and look up to for his beautiful and open heart. On the other hand, that leaves us with no suspense over his true path.

It doesn't bother me so much. I'm happy with Harry as our eyes and ears. It's good to have a character we know as well as we know ourselves. It's like an anchor we can cling to as we drift through this new world (even if that anchor floats the wrong direction every so often ).

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old July 31st, 2007, 8:53 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones111 View Post
He also thinks he must be the one to go on alone, that he can actually save people when others can't (the saving people thing). He went after a basilisk which a normal 12 year old would never even think they were capable of dealing with. Maybe the fact that he thought he could save Ginny when others couldn't is an example of his occaional arrogance. But I certainly don't see him making claims that he is important or superior.
Yes, I think this must be what she means. Even as an 11 year old, Harry took it upon himself to save the Philosopher's Stone, thereby saving the world from Voldemort. I don't really see this as arrogance, because we all know it's Harry's fate, and that he is being manipulated by Dumbledore to try his hand at these things (showing him the Mirror, leaving the school that night, etc). What choice did Harry have? What choice does he ever have? But none of the other 11 year olds felt it their personal duty to fight Voldemort.

Old July 31st, 2007, 9:26 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Sirius was totally left out of the naming scenario. Harry had Teddy Remus Lupin over his house four times a week at least so he had the Remus covered. But I thought Albus-Severus instead of a nod to his godfather was a little too unbelieveable. It is one thing to forgive and even think someone brave. But to substitute Severus for Sirius was like a slap in the face to 3 books of agnoizing reflection by Harry over Sirius and made him seem even more 1 dimensional and flat, like totally missing several marbles.

Again, I don't think that was what JKR intended, and maybe only some people felt that way, but if so, I was certainly one of them.
We didn't hear James's middle name, did we? He may have been James Sirius Potter.

Old July 31st, 2007, 9:37 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Harry has traveled a million miles further in his journey than the average person.
He really has.One thing that struck me was when he realised he had to die,and told Neveille to kill the Snake.Even thee,even in the last moments of his life,he's still thinking of his mission,what he has to do.

Even though Rowling says it herself ,I can't see any arrogance really,just indignation at certain comments.

Last edited by Ifink2much; August 1st, 2007 at 10:41 am.
Old July 31st, 2007, 9:54 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sectumsempra88 View Post
No it's not arrogance. If anything anger- I think it was appropriate for Harry to pull out some unforgivable's. You can't keep fighting with pistols when the opposition shows up with machine guns-
No, sorry I was pondering what Jo meant with "arrogance" in this case.

As for the other point. Yes, you can. They fought all the time with other weapons and were successful.

Quote:
from Dictionary.com:
arrogant
–adjective 1. making claims or pretensions to superior importance or rights; overbearingly assuming; insolently proud: an arrogant public official.

I was a little surprised to hear JK Rowling say that Harry occassionally was arrogant. That makes Snape right Anyway, looking back at PoA, Harry sneaks off to Hogmead even though everyone is trying their best to keep Harry safe from Sirius Black. Maybe this is an example of Harry's occassional arrogance. He also thinks he must be the one to go on alone, that he can actually save people when others can't (the saving people thing). He went after a basilisk which a normal 12 year old would never even think they were capable of dealing with. Maybe the fact that he thought he could save Ginny when others couldn't is an example of his occaional arrogance. But I certainly don't see him making claims that he is important or superior.
Thanks Susan.

Ok, that sounds really like Snape would describe Harry.

I always viewed the examples you gave as pure carelessness and sometimes stupidity.

I agree with you about the last sentence. He showed often enough that he doesn't want to stand in the spot light, despite being famous.

The End of the Dream.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References