Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Deathly Hallows Part 2 Soundtrack

Old July 17th, 2011, 2:26 am
Curse Breaker

Re: Deathly Hallows Part 2 Soundtrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherD View Post
But Hedwig's theme showed up throughout the entire film! It didn't belong in the opening with the WB logo or title of the movie. It would have been too lighthearted.
Also, Lily's theme was really much more appropriate. In many ways, this is the big payoff for comprehending just how much Lily contributed to the setup of the story. It comes back on three separate occasions, and in the end, it's all about getting Harry to emulate his mother.

I think that this soundtrack was outstanding. The baroque arrangements building on those melancholic, almost funereal cello riffs was a perfect setup for adding on melodies and other harmonies in counterpoint. In many places where words were pointless, the music itself just took over: and that was brilliant.

If there is any disappointment, then it was "Severus and Lily": it was very stark and poignant, but not as powerful as I had hoped. Still, I did joke with my wife that it's a good thing Howard Shore didn't do that part: I probably would have lost it during A Prince's Tale!

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2011, 12:31 pm
Third Year

One Word:
Amazing

{Magnolia class 0f 2010}
Ron & Hermione Forever
Old July 17th, 2011, 1:05 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
In many places where words were pointless, the music itself just took over: and that was brilliant.
This is well said. The music did take over at some points and it all sounded incredible. It truly is a phenomenal soundtrack.

Old July 17th, 2011, 3:36 pm
First Year

I thought the soundtrack was overall pretty solid, but it only emphasizes the issues the Harry Potter series has had with its score. After John Williams laid a tremendous foundation for the series with some of the best work of his career, no one continued his themes. Hedwig's Theme is the only one we heard throughout the series.

That said, I did enjoy the score and during the Epilogue scene I could feel nothing other than the chills running down my spine. The use of "Leaving Hogwarts" from PS was perfect right there.

Old July 17th, 2011, 5:42 pm
Second Year

I loved this soundtrack. In my opinion, it was better than Part 1. There were three moments that really stood out to me in the film. The opening scene with the use of Lily's Theme, the moment when they set up the Hogwarts' defences with Statues and the trio running through the school with Courtyard Apocalypse.

Old July 18th, 2011, 1:30 am
First Year

This soundtrack was really good. I think my favorites of the ones by Desplat were Courtyard Apocalypse and Statues, but the way Hedwigs theme was used (in the room of requirement especially) was absolutely amazing.

I found it amusing to go through the soundtracks and find other pieces that they sounded like. Broomsticks and Fire had the exact same four notes as the 1989 Batman Theme by Danny Elfman (compare :37 to :41 here, to :51 to :54 here), and Dragon Flight had those same three notes as Victory Celebration from Star Wars: Return of the Jedi by John Williams. (compare :47 to :51 here to 1:03 to 1:06 here)

POTTERMORE BATALLION
Pottermore Username: FireboltShield
Wand: 10 3/4 Inches, Alder and Unicorn Hair, Unyeilding
Signature by GryffSoldier

Last edited by Horcri7; July 18th, 2011 at 1:32 am.
Old July 18th, 2011, 1:53 am
First Year

I thought that the soundtrack worked extremely well for this film. The opening with "Lily's Theme" really set the tone and emotional level for the movie. "Statues" had to be the most dramatic, powerful as well as emotional for me. I also enjoyed how Desplat used past themes such as "Hegwig's Theme" throughout the film and "Leaving Hogwarts" during the epilogue. This had me in tears...and brought back sweet memories of the first film. My favorite use of a past soundtrack had to be the use of "Dumbledore's Farewell" during "The Prince's Tale". As emotional as this scene was, the timing of this particular soundtrack was excellent. As the end of the series, both the combination of old and Desplat original pieces made the movie especially unique.

"For him?” shouted Snape. “Expecto Patronum!” From the tip of his wand burst the silver doe: She landed on the office floor, bounded once across the office, and soared out of the window. Dumbledore watched her fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to Snape, and his eyes were full of tears. “After all this time?” “Always,” said Snape.

Pottermore - PhoenixFirebolt52
Old July 18th, 2011, 2:01 am
Fourth Year

I was just listening to the soundtrack and I'm having trouble figuring out where The Tunnel, Neville and Underworld played in the movie. Was "Neville" playing when Neville showed up in the portrait hole?

Old July 18th, 2011, 2:58 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherD View Post
Was "Neville" playing when Neville showed up in the portrait hole?
Yes.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown
Old July 18th, 2011, 6:57 pm
Third Year

Severus and Lily is my favorite track. It fit rather well during TPT. Beautiful, yet haunting at the same time.

Pottermore Profile:
OwlPurple114
House: Ravenclaw
Wand Specifics: 12 1/4 in...Cedar...Phoenix Feather...Unbending

Proud Member of the House of Ravenclaw
Old July 20th, 2011, 9:44 pm
Second Year

Beautiful score! My favorite is Lily's theme or A new beginning. A New Beginning really reminds me of a lullaby. It almost brought me to tears the first time I heard it because it was just saying "It's over, it's all over." "Take a breath and breathe out relief." I'm so thankful this score is a nice compliment to part one. I was also glad that there were not any vocals on this one because I have never cared for the songs on the scores that had vocals.

In favor of Book 7 being as long as an unabridged dictionary!

You people seriously need to understand me!

Dragon Heartstring Ash 7 inches
Old July 21st, 2011, 7:18 am
Fourth Year

"Severus and Lily" was absolutely perfect for the scene. So haunting, and yet also captures a hint of innocence long lost. "Resurrection Stone" was beautiful as well.

Old July 21st, 2011, 7:31 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
In many places where words were pointless, the music itself just took over: and that was brilliant.

If there is any disappointment, then it was "Severus and Lily": it was very stark and poignant, but not as powerful as I had hoped. Still, I did joke with my wife that it's a good thing Howard Shore didn't do that part: I probably would have lost it during A Prince's Tale!
I agree with you there- but what's cool is on the same soundtrack, the opposite is true also! There were a couple moments in the film that had either NO music, or it was extremely quiet. I think I mentioned it in my review too but for a while when the trio goes into the boathouse and finds Snape, Desplat completely gets out of the way. Lily's Theme pops up in there later but it's really quiet and subdued- you might not even notice it while watching the scene. Desplat really seems to know where any music- even the perfect music- for a certain moment, would take away from the emotion of a scene, just by being there. If that makes sense.

Also agree about Severus and Lily, and Howard Shore.

I haven't read through the whole thread to see if people have talked about this already... My bad. But I think my favorite track, in context of the film, was Courtyard Apocalypse. The trio is running through a battlefield! It's crazy, hectic, scary- explosions, giants, spiders, spells going everywhere... But instead of a typical action scene soundtrack with a fast, loud piece and lots of percussion, Desplat plays up the tragedy of the moment. It seems like instead of making you go, "Wow!" he wants you to think, "OMG, Hogwarts is actually being destroyed."

Old July 21st, 2011, 10:46 pm
First Year

I've never taken too big an interest in the soundtracks, only a few of the pieces over the years have caught my ear. However, Lily's theme is the perfect piece to open the film. The entire story of Harry Potter is created when Lily sacrifices herself for Harry. Snape's entire story is only possible because of his great love for Lily. The downfall of Voldemort is only possible because of Lily. The entire series is really the story of Lily's sacrifice. To open the final film, the film in which Harry makes the same sacrifice as his mother and learns the truth about Snape, with such a haunting and beautiful theme really is excellent work by Desplat. For me, it't the perfect theme to encapsulate the entire story of boy who lived.

"The stories we love best do live in us forever. Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home."
Old July 22nd, 2011, 4:22 am
First Year

I just loved this entire album. I wasn't going to buy it originally, but after hearing "Lily's Theme" on YouTube, I was sold. I loved the use of that particular theme throughout the rest of the score, such as in "Snape's Demise." It was a very emotional soundtrack and a very fitting score to match the overall dark tone of the movie.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:00 am
Second Year

This is potentially one of the best movie soundtracks I've ever heard. Desplat is officially a genius. I was just listening to "Statues" and teared up. He captured the feeling so perfectly; listening to it, even on my computer with no movie playing, just brings all of that emotion, fear, courage, strength, etc. forward. It makes me want to go fight to defend our school!

Lily's Theme, as everyone else said, is just phenomenal. The music for The Prince's Tale and Harry's walk to the forest were also great.

I also thought Desplat did a great job incorporating older tropes into his work for this film. As previously mentioned, he made great use of Hedwig's Theme. It was so gloriously unselfish of him to use Williams's tropes, and it just made the film so much richer. He served the story so well. I don't know what he's up against for this year, but I think he deserves at least an Oscar nomination.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 4:53 pm
Third Year

Oh I absolutely loved the use of "Severus and Lily" in TPT. Because it was pretty quiet through the first few memories and you couldn't really hear it enough to pay attention to it, but when it started to get into adult Snape's memories, especially those with Dumbledore, the music picked up. The one part I remember really well is after we see Snape cradling Lily's body, and it switches back to Dumbledore's office where he does the doe and says "Always." The music officially made that the most emotional thing I have ever seen. Alexandre Desplat.

*Nikky wanted a mention*
Old July 22nd, 2011, 5:13 pm
Second Year

I like Statues and Courtyard Apocalypse the best. I think it really fits the theme for the movie. It's so sad as well. I think I was the only one who cried when McGonagall called out the statues to defend the school. That made me just bawl out in the theater and with the music it was totally epic.

©GryffnSoldier
| USE KNOWLEDGE FOR POWER |
PROUD SLYTHERCLAW

HereThere
Old July 22nd, 2011, 7:13 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LupinsHowl786 View Post
I like Statues and Courtyard Apocalypse the best. I think it really fits the theme for the movie. It's so sad as well. I think I was the only one who cried when McGonagall called out the statues to defend the school. That made me just bawl out in the theater and with the music it was totally epic.
I cried during that part too! Both times I saw it! Something about those statues just totally did me in. I get teary eyed just thinking about that music.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 7:25 pm
First Year

This Soundtrack is awesome

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies