Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Comments on: CoS Forums

Old January 21st, 2007, 7:44 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Comments on: CoS Forums

Thank you for your quick answer!

Percy wouldn`t recognise a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing Dobby`s tea-cosy.
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2007, 12:07 am
McMugwump Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineGus View Post
Okay... I was wondering if someone would be willing to set up a polite and correct forum for debating the Harry with Ginny or Hermione. The topic is currently invading other ones and it's kind of driving me crazy.
We've tried this before and I don't think we're keen to repeat the experience. If someone is dragging a thread off topic, please report their posts and we will deal with them.

Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:27 pm
First Year

Sounds sweet. I guessed that you had tried, but I needed to ask just to make sure...

PS- 19x, CoS- 15x, PoA- 21x, GoF- 15x, OotP- 13x, HBP- 9x, DH- YES!!! WE HAVE A TITLE!!
Harry Potter obsessive and proud of it.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. -Mark Twain
Old January 23rd, 2007, 9:31 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotsiepots View Post
We've tried this before and I don't think we're keen to repeat the experience. If someone is dragging a thread off topic, please report their posts and we will deal with them.
Love threads do seem to have a habit of getting out of control

Old May 31st, 2007, 8:23 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Maybe I've just been hanging around the wrong threads lately but I can think of three or four threads off the top of my head that were closed because the members within them couldn't follow the rules. Now, normally, I love this site's approach to spam, chatting, flaming, etc.. I've always felt quite safe discussing my opinions as I know the mods are watching and will step in when needed. Lately, though, I've been pondering these closings...were they fair? I understand that you guys have a lot to handle and all but I can't help but wonder if warning the members who were breaking the rules would have been better. It just seems like locking an entire thread is a way of punishing everyone when not everyone was necessarily involved in whatever rule-breaking that was going on. I'm not trying to be troublesome, just curious.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:37 am
Kingsley's Biggest Fan

Please owl either the thread sponsor (if there was one) or an Unspeakable or Admin with your concerns and the details of the threads in question

Part of the Care Bear gang!
Old May 31st, 2007, 5:15 pm
Mouse

We have also closed a number of threads in reference to this announcement.

Non Snape threads are in no danger of being closed but any threads on Snape that begin veering towards his loyalty/bickering among members are being closed for staff sanity.

We have given these threads multiple chances. However at this point our focus has to be on keeping the forums spoiler free and we just can't allocate the resources that seem to be necessary to discuss Snape outside of the Triumverate threads.

Old May 31st, 2007, 9:21 pm
Unloved by all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
staff sanity.

Know Lani... Love Lani... ^_^
Old May 31st, 2007, 9:29 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenielou View Post
Please owl either the thread sponsor (if there was one) or an Unspeakable or Admin with your concerns and the details of the threads in question
Well, I'm not really concerned with any one thread, I'm just confused as to what's going on period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Non Snape threads are in no danger of being closed but any threads on Snape that begin veering towards his loyalty/bickering among members are being closed for staff sanity.

We have given these threads multiple chances. However at this point our focus has to be on keeping the forums spoiler free and we just can't allocate the resources that seem to be necessary to discuss Snape outside of the Triumverate threads.
That announcement actually contains a bit on what I'm rather worried about -- I'm not going to ban anyone for recent loss of patience with their fellow HP fans. I appreciate it's been a tough few days trying to negotiate your way around the armoured threads. We'll just have to call it a day and let the Deathly Hallows resolve the outstanding aspects of Snape's character so we can all live happily never after.

I agree that no one should be banned for losing their patience here and there but when it's done repeatedly (either on different threads or on the same thread over and over), I can't help but wonder...where has the line been drawn and what does it take to cross it? You said that you gave some of these threads multiple chances and that's what concerns me -- I feel that you might be viewing the situation incorrectly. I just think that weeding out the posters who are causing the problem would be more benefitial and am confused as to why that's not what's happening. It feels like everyone is being punished when not everyone has done something wrong. Again, I'm not trying to be a pain, I'm just trying to understand why blanket punishments are being handed out rather than punishments targeting specific users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanifiel View Post

Staff sanity...did it ever truly exist or is it merely a myth?

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old May 31st, 2007, 9:35 pm
Mouse

The problem with the Snape threads is that there are too many members who are unable to get along that it turns into a logistical nightmare. We've tried forum banning individual members, we've tried asking people to be polite, we've tried deleting posts that are rude. Unfortunately, individual members can't see all the behind the scenes warnings, discussions, hair tearing etc that it takes to keep these threads running with a modicum of peace.

Like I said before, it's too much work and we don't have time to deal with it anymore. Our first priority is keeping the forums as a whole spoiler free and running smoothly as we appraoch book release. I'm afraid this is non-negotiable and discussion on Snape will be confined to the Triumverate until after book release.

Once DH is released and we know (hopefully) Snape's true loyalty we'll announce plans on how the matter will be dealt with from that point forward.

Old May 31st, 2007, 10:24 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Well, being that innocent members have been punished, I fully disagree with your tactics but I'm not a mod so I've done all I can by voicing my thoughts. Thanks for the replies, though.

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old June 3rd, 2007, 4:23 pm
Third Year

I can't click on the Floo Network tab...

I have a Mac and the "where were you" thing covers it up so I can't click on it. I don't know if anyone else had the same problems (I've searched for it), but I thought I should mention it.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 4:26 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by accioluminos View Post
I can't click on the Floo Network tab...
Try switching to a different 'skin'. I see it quite clearly with the Expanded Format, for instance.

It's time for some football!

J.K. Rowling's Official Website FAQs
Old June 3rd, 2007, 4:27 pm
Eldest Gruff

This problem will just exist as long as we support uor donation drive with extra banner. The easiest way to by-pass it is to click this button at the bottom next to the site skin buttons to resize your skin. The you should be able to click the Floo-Network again.

ETA: Nicole beat me to it!

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 4:30 pm
Third Year

^ thank you both! the second explanation helped a little better, but thank you! it works now

Old June 27th, 2007, 11:35 pm
First Year

Question... yes i'm new as you can tell...

Why does a thread discussing where people will see OotP get shut down because "this forum does not allow 'meet-ups'"... you only ask where an individual lives when filling out their profile. How is this any diffrent than allowing individuals to voluntarily disclose what theater they want to see a movie at?

You allow personal messages... and all other forms of self expression of individuality but then when someone wants to know what theater fellow fans will be going to, you shut down the thread?

I realize that its to i guess protect individuals from... ? other forum members. But isnt this a bit too much micro-managment? Especially considering that members post where they live in the indtroduction thread every day.

--- second---

why is everything in this forum smashed into as few threads as possible? I mean discussing say the latest movie... there is no way to push all that into one thread with ? seperate volumes. It causes members to not want to search through some odd 21 long page thread and post new threads anyway. Ok it does give you moderators something to do (policing the forum for any stray threads that could be put in an already made category) but at the same time isnt the idea to not have anything for mods to interfere over?

I dunno i just find that the moderation of this forum is for lack of another word "overbearing". I admire the will to keep a "clean family friendly forum" but thats why to me there are mods... to weed through what is malicious (slander, obcene talk, etc..) and what is not (like movie places and freedom to categorize thought into more than 1 thread).

Old June 27th, 2007, 11:38 pm
Mouse

We can't allow discussion of meet ups to happen here because these are public forums. I would like to believe that the majority of our members are exactly who they say they are, but anyone can read these forums and frankly there are a lot of creeps on the internet.

We would not only be liable but culpable if we allowed discussion of a meet up and some creep showed up with bad intentions. It's not over moderation, it's protection of member safety.

Old June 27th, 2007, 11:46 pm
Suteki da ne

Sorry, I know I'm not staff but...

Having lots of threads all discussing the same thing takes up bandwidth, and as this forum is so busy anyway, if everyone was posting their own threads left right and centre when they could be put into one thread it would take up an unbelievable amount of bandwidth that could be used discussing other topics

At least that is my belief...am I right

If you change your mind
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:51 pm
First Year

How is providing a profile with a space specifically for "location" as well as allowing people to state where they live in the introduction thread "protecting members".

....my questions still stand

--edit---
as far as the bandwith thing goes... is there not a way to "archive" old inactive threads... lol and yes that is a very good point this is one of the largest forums i belong to

Old June 27th, 2007, 11:54 pm
Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwick View Post
How is providing a profile with a space specifically for "location" as well as allowing people to state where they live in the introduction thread "protecting members".
There's a huge difference between saying "Hi my name is Jessica and I live in California" and "Hi my name is Jessica and I'll be at the Hollywood Bowl on Friday night at 8 pm wearing overalls and a pink hat." We draw the line at anything that would allow someone to find you specifically.

As for the other question, I think lanifiel answered it fairly well here: "Why has my thread been locked?" A brief summary on our policy

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services