Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Questions about Horcruxes

Old August 13th, 2009, 5:46 am
First Year

Re: Dementors and Horcruxes

I think a rather important question that applies here is: What exactly happens to a soul once a dementor has sucked it up? Does it remain whole inside the dementor or is it destroyed? Is imediatley obliterated or is it slowly diggested?

Old August 13th, 2009, 5:56 am
Fourth Year

Can a dementor kiss a horcrux, as in suck the soul out of a horcrux? I can't see why they wouldn't be able too. It's an easy way of destroying a horcrux too.

Old memories seldom fade
And bad habits die hard...
Old August 13th, 2009, 6:28 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrepentant View Post
When Voldemort 'died' in Godric's Hollow, his soul became what is known as Vapormort. And he float around, but still consious. So my two cents is that when one's mangled soul is sucked in by a dementor, but the piece of soul will still be alive, because it has the horcruxes connecting it to life. So you'd be alive but inside a dementor. Freaky, huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th_Wonder View Post
Can a dementor kiss a horcrux, as in suck the soul out of a horcrux? I can't see why they wouldn't be able too. It's an easy way of destroying a horcrux too.
When Harry and Dumbledore destroyed the Horcruxes, that bit of soul was destroyed and the other parts of the soul that were in different objects lived on, and that's why Voldemort kept on living, not because the soul was still connected to life by the the other horcruxes. That's why I really like 9th_Wonder's idea of a dementor being an easy way of destroying a horcrux! And, I think it would be a much cleaner method than stabbing it with basilisk venom--the object would just go back to normal and be whole. So, although a dementor's kiss is horrible for a human with just one soul, I think it's actually preferrable to somebody like Voldemort who could've just kept his body instead of having to recreate one with a potion.

Old August 13th, 2009, 6:47 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

This is an interesting question. Dementors seem to be the only way to remove a soul from anything without actually destroying it (presumably this is limited to the people themselves). I am fairly sure that if you were subject to the Dementor's kiss, your body still would live on. I don't think that you would be able to use the method that Voldemort used to recreate his body, seeing as you would already have a body. I think it would simply be a case of getting your soulless body to the horcrux, whereupon I think that the soul fragment would reattach itself to the body, as we know that soul fragments can work there way into people (Ginny in CoS).

That is my take on it, good question

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old August 13th, 2009, 3:57 pm
Second Year

My opinion is that when a soul is sucked out of a person by a dementor it's like an addictive drug for the dementor therefore if it only sucked out a half soul of a oerson why it wouldn't be satizfied and imediately seek other souls so that those in the room when it happened wouldn't be safe.
As for the being with his partial soul sucked out why he would be some sort of mindless zombie, but the other part of his soul would live on in the Horcrux.

Old August 13th, 2009, 5:12 pm
Fourth Year

Sweet thread

I guess the dementor would suck out all of the bits of soul it could... But then, I wouldn't know...

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." ~ Mother Teresa

ř ѕ t - ι и - t ι м є...

Old August 13th, 2009, 5:50 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglestreasure View Post
Sweet thread
Thanks eaglestreasure! Does anybody think the person would be able to re inhabit their still-living body with another part of their soul?

"Voldemort himself created his own worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress?"

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated."

-A.P.W.B.D
Old August 27th, 2009, 7:06 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Destruction of a horcrux

I think that if you were kissed, you would be in that vegetative state even if you had a horcrux. You would need to be aware that you had horcruxes to make use of them. IMO you lose all awareness of self when kissed.

If someone gets you the horcrux though, I think the new soul would inhabit it and the person would have only the knowledge that the soul had.
For example, if Voldemort got kissed after the Philosopher's Stone incident and got the diary Horcrux to inhabit his body, this new version of Voldemort would not remember anything about all the stuff that the old Voldemort did after making that horcrux.

IMO the soul kissed by dementors would get destroyed someway. Otherwise making a horcrux and getting it kissed would be a foolproof way to ensure survival.

Old April 9th, 2010, 10:24 pm
Sixth Year

Questions about horcruxes

Voldemort's soul was already highly unstable because he had split it so many times. If Voldemort had escaped from Hogwarts and decided to replace his horcruxes, how do you think his unstable soul would have responded ?

Old April 9th, 2010, 11:27 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: What if Voldemort made more horcruxes ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
Voldemort's soul was already highly unstable because he had split it so many times. If Voldemort had escaped from Hogwarts and decided to replace his horcruxes, how do you think his unstable soul would have responded ?
Good question. I wonder though if he has enough soul left to make another horcrux. Things would probably have gone apesh1t.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old April 10th, 2010, 12:17 am
Second Year

I personally do not believe he had enough soul left to make another Horcrux. He had already made seven, which is the maximum amount, even if some of them had already been destroyed. As we see in King's Cross, the stunted creature is badly damaged because of such unforgivable acts of murder that split the soul. I do not believe Voldemort's soul would have physically allowed him to do such a thing.

I've been Sorted.
Old April 10th, 2010, 1:18 am
Fifth Year

Sometimes the dead just have to lie down.

Old April 10th, 2010, 1:23 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterFanDuh View Post
I personally do not believe he had enough soul left to make another Horcrux. He had already made seven, which is the maximum amount, even if some of them had already been destroyed. As we see in King's Cross, the stunted creature is badly damaged because of such unforgivable acts of murder that split the soul. I do not believe Voldemort's soul would have physically allowed him to do such a thing.
Howdy PotterFanDuh,

I agree with you 100%.

Wild Ol' Dan

"I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn.
I can see the campfire smokin' at the breakin' of the dawn.
I can hear the broncos neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing
I'd like to be in Texas for the roundup in the spring."

I've been proudly sorted into Gryffindor!!!
Old April 10th, 2010, 3:10 am
Second Year

Yes, I agree that it would not be possible for him to split that one-seventh bit of his soul further. If he can, that might turn him into a more pathetic lump of creature than he was before he got back his body in GOF.

Winky45

Old April 10th, 2010, 4:22 am
Fifth Year

I believe that making a horcrux is a complex process. It took planning and preparation, and Voldemort didn't have the time for that. He found about his horcruxes being destroyed too late.

I agree with everyone who has said that his soul was probably already too damaged, and any furthur attempt on making a horcrux would have done more damage than good.

Old April 10th, 2010, 4:53 am
Fifth Year

It was too damaged. Its pretty evident when he tried killing Harry. When that bit of his soul locked into Harry, Voldy exploded and turned into vapor. How he managed to create a horcrux out of Nagini is beyond me.

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old April 12th, 2010, 9:07 pm
Third Year

I think if he tried, he would have like disappeared, like lost his soul alltogether, or whatever remained inside him, was like, practically nothing.

Old April 12th, 2010, 10:06 pm
Second Year

Hmmm...
Well, I think if his soul would allow any more, it would make him even more less human.

If it wouldn't, I think he would have just died, or something similiar to that effect.

Old April 13th, 2010, 2:02 pm
Sixth Year

That would be funny. Voldemort kills Harry, he's the happiest guy, kills the next person and tries making a horcrux and poof! dead.

Old April 13th, 2010, 4:35 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterFanDuh View Post
while I agree that Voldemort's soul was very damaged and unstable (again just look at what happenend when LV tried to kill baby Harry) there is nothing in the books (or that Jo has said in interviews that I remember) that says 7 Horcruxes are the absolute maximum. Tom Riddle asked Slughorn IF IT WAS POSSIBLE to make 7 Horcruxes (7 being a powerful magical number) not what the maximum number of Horcruxes was.

Even Slughorn agreed that even spliting your soul into 2 pieces was not the greatest thing to do. It seems no one except LV had pushed the limits of making multipule Horcruxes so theoryically it seems there may not be a maximum limit per se. It just depends on how unstable/damaged your soul is at the time the Horcrux is made (no matter how many you create).

Having said that, I think LV pushed the limit way beyond what would be considered "normal" dark magic.

Last edited by Racket_Man; April 13th, 2010 at 4:39 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak