Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Questions about Horcruxes

Old April 15th, 2010, 3:06 am
First Year

Re: What if Voldemort made more horcruxes ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racket_Man View Post
Having said that, I think LV pushed the limit way beyond what would be considered "normal" dark magic.
Haha. Has Voldy ever been normal?

But anyway, I entirely agree that he wouldn't have the capacity to create another Horcrux. I think his soul might get so unstable that it would just sort of rupture apart and he would be distroyed.

Proud Gryffindor!
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2010, 3:33 am
First Year

Well you need a sould to controll your body because if a dementor 'kissed' you you would be put into what I understood as a vegetative state. So I suppose if your soul was split too much then it would lose control of your body and become a lifeless living being with that final peice of your soul trapped inside your body unable to escape. You would be immortal but nobody would care really. Voldemort would not, however, be able to replace his horcruxes in my opinion because I got the impression that at Kings Cross Voldy's 'Harry Soul' would be trapped at Kings Cross forever and not returning to Volemorts body like I originally thought. i will never be certain where this threshold is in my theory but i assume that Voldemort would not be able to make a full seven due to the rate of decline from a relatively innocent boy to the tirant described in the books.

Old April 15th, 2010, 9:22 pm
Second Year

I don't think it was physically possible for him to make another horcrux, as his soul had already been split into 7 pieces (no one else had ever gone past 2) and was already so badly damaged. By the time of the murders of Harry's parents, his soul was already so unstable that he was no longer able to fully control it, thus latching a piece inside of Harry.

Proud supporter of: HWRKDJCKQ. I have yet to figure out what that means.
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:38 pm
First Year

I really don't think that Voldmort's soul would've been able to do that. I think that his sould would be so unstable that he barely has any. Really it seems kinda disgusting to spilt your soul like Voldmort has. (Really its the thought of killing so many people).

I'm not really sure though what would happen, maybe Deathly Hallows would be longer and that's it.

Old April 15th, 2010, 10:48 pm
Third Year

I dont see why not i mean he already split his soul 5 times more then ever recorded.

Harry, you wonderful boy, you brave, brave man.
R.I.P.

Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
Proud Gryffindor

Old June 30th, 2010, 5:06 am
First Year

Destruction of the Horcruxes

Hello everyone,

I searched for a similar topic but i could not find one. Having just finished re-reading DH, I was struck by the fact that all of the Horcruxes throughout the series were destroyed by a different person-

1. Tom Riddles Diary- Destoyed by Harry
2. Marvolo Gaunt's Ring- Destroyed by Dumbledore
3. Slytherin's Locket- Destoroyed by Ron
4. Hufflepuff's cup - Destoyed by Hermione
5. Ravenclaw's Diadem- Destroyed by Crabbe
6. Nagini- Destoyed by Neville
7. Harry- Destroyed by Voldemort

What im wondering is...why does JKR have different people destroy the horcruxes..and what does each character destroying each horcrux signify?

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

Proud Slytherin

Last edited by FelixXXFelicis; July 1st, 2010 at 4:51 am.
Old June 30th, 2010, 5:41 am
Fourth Year

Re: Destruction of the Horcruxes

I think it was done to show that many people all had a hand in bringing an end to Voldemorts rule. Everyone played a part.

‘And now – piertotum locomotor!’ cried Professor McGonagall. And all along the corridor the statues and suits of armour jumped down from their plinths, and from the echoing crashes from the floors above and below, Harry knew that their fellows throughout the castle had done the same.
‘Hogwarts is threatened!’ shouted Professor McGonagall. ‘Man the boundaries, protect us, do your duty to our school!’
Clattering and yelling, the horde of moving statues stampeded past Harry: some of them smaller, others larger than life. There were animals too, and the clanking suits of armour brandished swords and spiked balls on chains.

Pottermore Username: HallowSkull189
Old June 30th, 2010, 6:09 am
Fourth Year

I think we can be fairly certain this is intentional. Ron's reason for letting Hermione destroy the Cup was something like, "Oh, I thought she should have a turn." It would make more sense for him to insist on taking care of it so Hermione wouldn't have to. JKR had Hermione do it so Ron wouldn't break the trend and destroy two Horcruxes.

Old June 30th, 2010, 6:15 am
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_potter_fan View Post
Everyone played a part.
That is a very good reason. People are complaining how Harry gets out of tight corners by a sudden inspiration that is totally genius and yet he is just an average wizard elsewhere, they say that the whole series is saved by Deus ex machina (which I agree at times). So having Harry destroy most of them, wouldn't seem right...

Old June 30th, 2010, 6:34 am
Second Year

I think the only symbolic one was Neville.

Hissy Hissy Little Snakey
Pottermore:WolfsbaneMarauder33
Wand: Dragon Black Walnut 11 1/2 in. unyielding
Old June 30th, 2010, 7:24 am
First Year

Yeah I think having each Horcrux destroyed by a separate person added a communal aspect to the downfall of Voldemort.

Old June 30th, 2010, 8:05 am
Seventh Year

You can always find some sort of distant symbolism if you try.

Ravenclaw's Diadem was destroyed by Crabbe, possibly the least intelligent character in the series. The cup and the locket were both stolen together and destroyed by Ron and Hermione (you can also make the case that Ron has few Slytherin qualities and Hermione has few Hufflepuff characteristics). The ring was destroyed by Dumbledore, who spent his best years searching for the hallows. Harry killed Tom Riddle (via diary) and Tom Riddle killed Harry (via AK). Neville, after years of torture at the hands of Snape, sort of avenged his former potions teacher (you can also make the case that Gryffindor's sword was used to destroy the monster of Slytherin's descendent.

Old June 30th, 2010, 8:14 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeney View Post

Ravenclaw's Diadem was destroyed by Crabbe, possibly the least intelligent character in the series. The cup and the locket were both stolen together and destroyed by Ron and Hermione (you can also make the case that Ron has few Slytherin qualities and Hermione has few Hufflepuff characteristics). The ring was destroyed by Dumbledore, who spent his best years searching for the hallows. Harry killed Tom Riddle (via diary) and Tom Riddle killed Harry (via AK). Neville, after years of torture at the hands of Snape, sort of avenged his former potions teacher (you can also make the case that Gryffindor's sword was used to destroy the monster of Slytherin's descendent.
I really like this analysis but I don't really see how Hermione has Hufflepuff qualities. She definetly has some ravenclaw characteristics though.

‘And now – piertotum locomotor!’ cried Professor McGonagall. And all along the corridor the statues and suits of armour jumped down from their plinths, and from the echoing crashes from the floors above and below, Harry knew that their fellows throughout the castle had done the same.
‘Hogwarts is threatened!’ shouted Professor McGonagall. ‘Man the boundaries, protect us, do your duty to our school!’
Clattering and yelling, the horde of moving statues stampeded past Harry: some of them smaller, others larger than life. There were animals too, and the clanking suits of armour brandished swords and spiked balls on chains.

Pottermore Username: HallowSkull189
Old June 30th, 2010, 8:29 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_potter_fan View Post
I really like this analysis but I don't really see how Hermione has Hufflepuff qualities. She definetly has some ravenclaw characteristics though.
I was saying that Ron was the complete opposite of Slytherin and the same with Hermione in regards to Hufflepuff. Glad you liked it.

Old June 30th, 2010, 9:57 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeney View Post

I can sort of understand where you see a small amount of symbolism here with each person who detroyed a Horcrux but I think you are trying to reach to far for symbolism. I don't think Rowling wrote it as symbolism, it is just how the events played out. And it does make more sense to have more then just Harry destroy these Horcruxs; it allows the reader to make those connections that everyone is together in the misson to get rid of Voldemort (with the exception of Crabbe maybe just because that was accidental)

Old June 30th, 2010, 11:45 am
Seventh Year

I think its quite ironic how Crabbe destroys of of Voldemorts horcruxes, even thought he seems to be in total support of everything that's been going on. Obviously he didn't mean to, but its quite ironic how he did.
I don't think there is symbolism to each destruction, its how the story played out. I guess as mentioned more than one person played a part, Harry didn't have to destroy them all.

''Dear Professor Snape,
Dude...It's called Shampoo.
Love Anomoulous xX''

Ways to Annoy Snape...Wink at him evertime you catch his eye

Come and Guess The Screenshot!!! http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=110197
Old June 30th, 2010, 9:08 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpalsc View Post
Yeah I think having each Horcrux destroyed by a separate person added a communal aspect to the downfall of Voldemort.
Yes i totally agree with this...i think that by having everyone be a part of Voldermort's destruction was a powerful statement, than by just having harry be the one to destroy all the Horcruxes. However, i just dont understand the destruction of the Diedem by Crabbe. It does not make that much sense (to me atleast) maybe having it destroyed by Draco Malfoy whose family had some sort of change of heart at the end of the story would of been more fitting...

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

Proud Slytherin
Old June 30th, 2010, 9:22 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixXXFelicis View Post
Yes i totally agree with this...i think that by having everyone be a part of Voldermort's destruction was a powerful statement, than by just having harry be the one to destroy all the Horcruxes. However, i just dont understand the destruction of the Diedem by Crabbe. It does not make that much sense (to me atleast) maybe having it destroyed by Draco Malfoy whose family had some sort of change of heart at the end of the story would of been more fitting...
I agree that it's very good that it turned out to be a collective enterprise, that everyone had a hand - and I like the symbolism Greeney mentioned.

I also like the irony of Crabbe, who "if [he] were any slower, would be walking backwards" (Draco said something to that effect in CoS), turns out to be the one to destroy Rowena Ravenclaw's diadem. However, you could also argue that Draco had a hand in that. It was Crabbe who used FyendFire, but he wouldn't have been there to do so if Draco hadn't make his two sidekicks stay with him at Hogwarts when the other Slytherins left. That should satisfy your wish to have the Malfoys have a hand in the Horcruxes' destruction, FelixXXFelicis.

Old June 30th, 2010, 10:47 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWeasley1987 View Post
I can sort of understand where you see a small amount of symbolism here with each person who detroyed a Horcrux but I think you are trying to reach to far for symbolism. I don't think Rowling wrote it as symbolism, it is just how the events played out. And it does make more sense to have more then just Harry destroy these Horcruxs; it allows the reader to make those connections that everyone is together in the misson to get rid of Voldemort (with the exception of Crabbe maybe just because that was accidental)
I think you're contradicting yourself here.

Old July 1st, 2010, 3:44 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActingDude17 View Post
I think you're contradicting yourself here.
I'm not contradicting myself; there is quite a difference between the characters understanding that there is a mission that needs to be fullfiled and symbolism in the actual text. The actions taken aren't significant enough to create symbolism.

Definition:
1. A mental state in which everything that happens is regarded by the individual as symbolic of his or her own thoughts.

2. The disguised representation in conscious thought of unconscious or repressed contents or events.

The first definition is the audince seeing the destruction of Horcruxs by different people as symbol. The second definition should be presented within the book through the characters thoughts, but is not... example Ron tells Harry that he thought Hermione should have a go at killing a Horcrux, not because she needed to or that it signified some change in the character herself.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak