Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Questions about Horcruxes

Old July 1st, 2010, 4:15 am
Second Year

Re: Destruction of the Horcruxes

I actually wouldn't be surprised if JKR intentionally had each character destroying a specific horcrux.

The first horcrux being destroyed by Harry and the last being destroyed by Voldemort brings it all full circle.

Old July 1st, 2010, 4:16 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3muggles View Post
I actually wouldn't be surprised if JKR intentionally had each character destroying a specific horcrux.

The first horcrux being destroyed by Harry and the last being destroyed by Voldemort brings it all full circle.

Last Horcrux was destroyed by Neville- Nagini

Old July 1st, 2010, 4:48 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWeasley1987 View Post
you are right, the last one was destroyed by Neville (my mistake) But i was also wondering, considering that voldemort technically wanted to create 6 horcruxes making himself the last horcrux...(but we know he created 7 instead of 6 because Harry became a horcrux) wouldnt the fact that he accidently killed himself (since the killing curse rebounded) ...mean that he destroyed the last horcrux? (here i also want to make a note that if this is right, JKR had Voldemort be the only character to destroy more than one horcrux)

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

Proud Slytherin

Last edited by FelixXXFelicis; July 1st, 2010 at 4:51 am.
Old July 1st, 2010, 5:02 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixXXFelicis View Post
you are right, the last one was destroyed by Neville (my mistake) But i was also wondering, considering that voldemort technically wanted to create 6 horcruxes making himself the last horcrux...(but we know he created 7 instead of 6 because Harry became a horcrux) wouldnt the fact that he accidently killed himself (since the killing curse rebounded) ...mean that he destroyed the last horcrux? (here i also want to make a note that if this is right, JKR had Voldemort be the only character to destroy more than one horcrux)
I see your logic, he tried to kill Harry but killed a Horcrux instead and then killed himself by not listening to what Harry was talk about... but would you consider all of this symbolism? or just how it played out? and if you believe it is symbolism, what exactly does it all represent?

Old July 1st, 2010, 5:42 am
Fourth Year

I do believe the destroying of the Horcruxes has an awful lot of symbolism in it, but Voldemort accidentally "killing himself" was him taking care of the last remaining part of his soul left, not destroying a Horcrux. Voldemort wasn't a Horcrux. He just had an eighth of his soul inside him.

Old July 1st, 2010, 6:00 am
Third Year

I think that we can actually find some symbolism in the destruction of the Horcruxes.

First we have Riddle's diary. This is the only Horcrux that Harry got to destroy. I think this is important; it helps to remark how a normal wizard (without great magic skills) Harry was. Its destruction didn't need anything more than bravery. I see the diary as the most personal object that Voldemort chose as an Horcrux; the diary was the closest one to him. There's symbolism in this.

Also, there's the thing that Harry destroy this Horcrux in this attempt to save Ginny. All the thing about going down to the Chamber of Secrets was to try and save Ginny, and I don't think there's too much to said about this point: we all know how the whole thing ended xD

Second one, the Ring. As someone else mentioned some posts before its symbolism is all about Dumbledore looking his entire life for the Hallows, and then destroying the Horcrux that also was one of them.

Third, Slytherin's Locket. We've read how since the very beginning Ron showed a contempt for Slytherin's House; he was the one who told Harry about all bad wizards being from Slytherin. And we learn, by he epilogue at the end of DH, that out of the three Ron was the one who never lost his prejudice about the house. So, Jo gave him Slytherin's Horcrux to destroy.

Hufflepuff's cup. I've had a hard time thinking about this one. I guess that if there's symbolism about this Horcrux, it has to do with the fact that Hermione was the most Hufflepuff-ish out of the three. She was the fairest of them all, the one who always defended the friendship between houses. Those are Hufflepuff's qualities.

Ravenclaw's diadem. I find this very interesting. It seems, at first look, like a foolish destruction. It's the unintentional one. And most important, the Horcrux destroyed by one of the "bad guys". The fact that Crabbe destroyed it just reinforce the idea of Voldemort's foolishness, of his supporters' foolishness. Just as Voldemort was blinded by power, the same can be said about some (or most) of his followers. The only thing that Crabbe was looking forward to was to kill Harry and then get the glory for that. At last, he only got to destroy a piece of Voldemort's soul and, well, destroy himself.

Nagini. As being the boy who could have been, at the end he really got a big deal in Voldemort's downfall. This one is easy

Harry-crux. Well, this is the most obvious of them all. Again, yes again, Voldemort failed to understood the power of love. He failed to learn beyond his own mistakes. So he destroyed a part of himself.

But yeah, I think, as many of you said before, that the most important symbolism about the destruction of the Horcruxes is the fact that many people were involved in Voldemort's ending. That's something cool

"You said to us once before that there was time to turn
back if we wanted to. We've had time, haven't we?"
Old July 1st, 2010, 7:27 am
Fourth Year

These are all great observations. I'd like to comment in particular on the locket and cup. I'd never noticed that at all about the locket, but it's completely true! Nice catch. I also agree with you on Hermione having the most Hufflepuff qualities of the three. When Harry or Ron would show bias in some form or another she would often stay neutral in the matter at hand or see the other side's case. In Deathly Hallows she also stayed loyal to Harry. Ron was cunning. He came up with the idea to destroy the cup with a basilisk fang (I think, I can't quite remember fully at the moment).

Old July 1st, 2010, 6:10 pm
First Year

Well, Voldemort's 'accidental' demise has someting poetic, doesn't it? And it seems as if the basic scene (LV shoots Killing curse at HP, curse rebounds -> LV gone) is much the same as Halloween 1980 in Godric's Hollow.
Also, did anyone notice that Voldemort died in the very building where he and Harry first met (after Godric's Hollow)? Which, conincidentally, is also the place both Tom and Harry always considered home, true to the motto 'Home is where the heart is.' Hogwarst. The place where everything began, where everything ended. Everything being: Childhood for many wizards and witches, Lord Voldemort, Albus Dumbledore, Severus Snape (?), many friendships and relationships, Sirius as Harry's godfather, Harry's fight against evil.
But I'm completely off topic. I apologize.

I'm afraid I've run out of steam and brainpower.

Bye,
Betty

Old July 1st, 2010, 8:10 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActingDude17 View Post
on was cunning. He came up with the idea to destroy the cup with a basilisk fang (I think, I can't quite remember fully at the moment).
Never thought of that; interesting.

Old July 1st, 2010, 10:14 pm
Sixth Year

Am I the only one who's sad that so many cool objects were destroyed?
Ravenclaw's diadem, supposed to give great wisdom to the wearer, destroyed by fiendfyre. I wonder if Voldemort ever actually tried it on.

Old July 1st, 2010, 10:39 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
Am I the only one who's sad that so many cool objects were destroyed?
Ravenclaw's diadem, supposed to give great wisdom to the wearer, destroyed by fiendfyre. I wonder if Voldemort ever actually tried it on.
I don't think so, that Voldy tried the diadem on, that is. As Dumbledore stated in HBP, Tom Riddle was fascinated by "trophies" since his early childhood. So he didn't think so much about the magical abilities of the Horcruxes as much as their status/legacies:

- the diary (documentation of him being Slytherin's Heir)
- the Resurrection Stone (his connection to the Gaunts/Peverells)
- the cup (Hogwarts founder)
- the locket (Hogwarts founder)
- the diadem (Hogwarts founder)

Harry and Nagini are exceptions to this, since Voldy made a Horcrux out of Nagini by necessity (he needed a Horcrux to keep his "spirit" alive while not having a physical body) and Harry by accident (since his AK back-fired).

Old July 1st, 2010, 11:59 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernZel View Post
I don't think so, that Voldy tried the diadem on, that is. As Dumbledore stated in HBP, Tom Riddle was fascinated by "trophies" since his early childhood. So he didn't think so much about the magical abilities of the Horcruxes as much as their status/legacies
I completely agree...plus he probably saw all of these objects as beneth him...and undestimated their worth/power. specifically for the diadem, he probably thought he did not need it since he was arrogant enough to believe he did not need further wisdom....(but im sure if he would of put it on..he would of seen all of his mistakes and probably would of had a chance to defeat Harry in the end)

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

Proud Slytherin
Old July 2nd, 2010, 2:18 am
First Year

After all the comments made you al have swayed my position on the symbolism thought and I quite agree!

Old July 2nd, 2010, 3:41 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWeasley1987 View Post
My bad. I got mixed up in my thought process.

Old July 5th, 2010, 9:16 am
First Year

Voldemort's Locket Horcrux

OK, in the 6th book, I saw several problems with both the way that Voldemort's defense system is set up and how Harry and Dumbledore act. Can someone help me understand these?

1. There is no magical alarm system. Voldemort supposedly put a lot of time and effort into hiding these but did not take the most basic precaution imaginable: a basic alarm system that alerts him whenever anyone gets past point X in the cave. Regulus Black managed to go in and steal the locket uninterrupted and Harry and Co managed to steal both the cup and the diadem with V only learning of it from third people or not at all. It's like he's somehow opposed to the idea of learning about attempts at his most prized possessions.

2. Why did Dumbledore just bring Harry? Why not bring, say, Fawks? You know, the immortal bird whose tears have tremendous healing powers, can carry any amount of weight, can fly, and can take a killing curse and still just be reborn? I cannot possibly imagine what use such a thing could be. /sarcasm

3. "Harry, I must drink this potion. Oops, I seem to have spilt it all."

4. Why not feed the potion to, say, an animal that they conjured? We know from Kreacher's experience that the drinker does not have to be human.

5. Why not just conjure a goblet big enough to scoop up all the potion, locket included?

6. Before drinking the potion, why didn't Dumbledore try and call Fawks? Those tears with healing powers might just be useful against an unknown and probably poisonous potion, you know?

Old July 6th, 2010, 7:31 am
First Year

Re: Voldemort's Locket Horcrux

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMcBob View Post
1. There is no magical alarm system. Voldemort supposedly put a lot of time and effort into hiding these but did not take the most basic precaution imaginable: a basic alarm system that alerts him whenever anyone gets past point X in the cave. Regulus Black managed to go in and steal the locket uninterrupted and Harry and Co managed to steal both the cup and the diadem with V only learning of it from third people or not at all. It's like he's somehow opposed to the idea of learning about attempts at his most prized possessions.

2. Why did Dumbledore just bring Harry? Why not bring, say, Fawks? You know, the immortal bird whose tears have tremendous healing powers, can carry any amount of weight, can fly, and can take a killing curse and still just be reborn? I cannot possibly imagine what use such a thing could be. /sarcasm

4. Why not feed the potion to, say, an animal that they conjured? We know from Kreacher's experience that the drinker does not have to be human.

5. Why not just conjure a goblet big enough to scoop up all the potion, locket included?

6. Before drinking the potion, why didn't Dumbledore try and call Fawks? Those tears with healing powers might just be useful against an unknown and probably poisonous potion, you know?
Well im going to try to explain some things according to how i see them, altho i have no idea if i am right or not, lol but here goes,

1.I dont think voldemort put any warning spells on the horcruxes because he naively belived that no one could figure out that he had created them in the first place, or even get far enough to try and find and destroy them. as we see towards the end of DH, when he finds out that harry stole Hufflepuff's cup from gringots, he convinces himself that he would be able to feel something, if any of the other horcruxes were destroyed. His mistake in this case, was the fact that he is blinded by his arrogance and did not believe any witch or wizard would be capable of going after his horcruxes.

2.Well I think he brought harry along because he was the only other person who knew about the horcruxes (as we see throughout HBP) and since dumbledore needed the assistance of someone to feed him the potion (because I think dumbledore knew that something like that would occur) he brought along Harry. As for Fawks, well I think that Dumbledore needed someone to feed him the potion, since he wanted to carry the burden himself, I don’t think Dumbledore would purposely feed his most beloved pet poisoned potion. And even if he did, I think that Fawks was still vulnerable since he had been reborn at the end of Ootp when he swallowed a killing curse for Dumbledore.

4.Well, this is an interesting question and I think this goes back to the fact that Dumbledore did not want to harm anyone or anything other than himself in this mission. However, I also think that while kreacher was not human, he still possessed some magical powers, and maybe that is what allowed him to drink the potion in the first place. I wonder what would happen to an animal or even a muggle who did not posses any magical powers...hummm...

5.Well I think voldemort created the potion only to be drank, piece by piece in order to torture the drinker as much as possible and stop them from continuing to drink the potion. I think if it would have been possible to scoop the whole potion in one large goblet, Dumbledore would of done it.

6.Well I think Fawk’s tears can only be useful for so many things, (like curing people from Basilik’s venom) however, I do not think his tears have the ability to heal everything (although I think if he could that would be the BEST pet ever ) but I think the tears are limited to what they can heal, especially against really strong dark magic.

Proud Slytherin

Last edited by FelixXXFelicis; July 6th, 2010 at 7:34 am.
Old July 7th, 2010, 6:41 am
First Year

Re: Voldemort's Locket Horcrux

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMcBob View Post

3. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'VE ALWAYS THOUGHT. Certainly, before just going bang on ahead and DRINKING this clearly dangerous potion, I'd at least TRY to dump it in the lake or something. Even if it didn't work, it's at least a logical first step to attempt...

6. This is just my perception, but when I think of Fawkes's tear-healing-power thing, I imagine...wounds. Like Harry getting stabbed with the basilisk fang--the tears were an antidote to not only the torn flesh but the poison--it's an actual physiological issue. With the potion, yes there was clearly agonizing pain...but there was also the emotional pain. Even if Dumbledore had drank Fawkes's tears directly, I can't imagine that they would do much to combat the mental agony he was in. And, as Dumbledore himself always said, emotional pain is so much harder to overcome than physical...

...And something I've just realised. The entire POINT of Lord Voldemort was that he didn't understand emotional pain, how much more agonizing it was and difficult to overcome than physical. So why would he use a potion that, yes, puts the drinker in physical pain, but such emotional pain as well? I'm sure there's another potion out there which would be much more physically painful than what Dumbledore drank--seems more like something Lord Voldemort would do.

"You'll soon find out some wizarding families are much better than others, Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort.
"I can help you there."

Old July 12th, 2010, 6:19 pm
Third Year

Re: Questions about Horcruxes

I have a question, if Harry had always been a horcrux, why couldn't voldemort came back in Harry's body?

Thanks

Old July 12th, 2010, 6:53 pm
Second Year

Voldemort didn't know that Harry was a horcrux, so he couldn't use him to come back. He created it unintentionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegoTotalum View Post
...And something I've just realised. The entire POINT of Lord Voldemort was that he didn't understand emotional pain, how much more agonizing it was and difficult to overcome than physical. So why would he use a potion that, yes, puts the drinker in physical pain, but such emotional pain as well? I'm sure there's another potion out there which would be much more physically painful than what Dumbledore drank--seems more like something Lord Voldemort would do.
I don't believe Voldemort thought anyone else knew about his horcruxes, obviously, and going off that, would have never thought someone chasing them would've known to bring two people.

I think that the point of the poition was simply to prevent someone from obtaining the horcrux. Also, he couldn't make it too painful, because then HE would have a hard time getting to it. What if he didn't have a house elf to drink it for him, as Krecher did? There are few people (I think) that have a strong ennough willpower to keep drinking that potion.

"Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings." -Salvador Dali
"Oh, well, I never was there ever a cat so clever as magical Mr. Mistoffelees!"

Old July 12th, 2010, 7:31 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofsugar View Post
Voldemort didn't know that Harry was a horcrux, so he couldn't use him to come back. He created it unintentionally.
So, through all the seven books, Voldemort ever never knew that Harry was a horcrux?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak