Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Little Questions Answered v.20

Old August 24th, 2011, 10:26 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

Little Questions Answered v.20

This thread is meant for short questions and short discussions related to the Potterverse which are supposed to get a clear answer. In depth discussions can be done in existing threads (especially concerning analysis of characters).

Version 19 can be found here

Questions regarding the movies can be asked in the following thread: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

Ask away

Last couple of posts from version 19:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blknight7 View Post
Actually, if it is Sirius' bank vault (and not the Black family vault), shouldn't the Ministry have frozen his accounts once he escaped?
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
The Ministry probably doesn't have that kind of control over the goblins' banking system. Gringotts doesn't appear to be under any government regulations like Muggle banking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathsheda View Post
He completely forgot about it. When Sirius gave Harry the parcel he tells Harry to "use it if you need me". But Harry doesn't want to be the one who leads Sirius into danger, so he just puts the parcel away without even opening it. When he finds it again at the end of the book he at first doesn't even remember where it comes from. Only then does he unwrap it and discover what it is.

It's imo oppinion the biggest tragic irony of the story that Harry doesn't open the parcel because he doesn't want to be the one who lures Sirius out of hiding and then ends up luring Sirius to his death precisely because he didn't use the mirror.

Though I have to say I alway wondered why Sirius didn't remind Harry of the mirror when they spoke about his father.

Last edited by Hes; September 4th, 2012 at 9:51 am.
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2011, 7:31 pm
First Year

An Unanswered Question

As we all know, at the end of "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire", Harry witnesses the death of Cedric Diggory so he can therefore see Thestrals. But, in the last chapter of the "Goblet of Fire", Harry can't see the thestrals that are pulling the carriages, unlike in the Order of the Phoenix. Why does this happen? Does there need to be a three-month gap between the death and seeing a thestral?

Old August 24th, 2011, 8:15 pm
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Re: An Unanswered Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedwig17 View Post
As we all know, at the end of "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire", Harry witnesses the death of Cedric Diggory so he can therefore see Thestrals. But, in the last chapter of the "Goblet of Fire", Harry can't see the thestrals that are pulling the carriages, unlike in the Order of the Phoenix. Why does this happen? Does there need to be a three-month gap between the death and seeing a thestral?
There is a useful little thread where some of the most common questions are answered.
Frequently Asked Harry Potter Questions
Just scroll down to post #4.

Old August 24th, 2011, 11:12 pm
Second Year

Re: An Unanswered Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedwig17 View Post
JKRowling explained that. She said that you don't need just to SEE death but to admit it and assimilate it. Because it's not just why didn't he see them at the end of GoF but why didn't he ever see them as he'd seen his parents die 11 years ago before he first didn't see Thestrals. But well... that's JK's explanation of it.

To those last questions about why didn't the Goblins suspected from someone asking to take money out of an escaped prisoner vault or why didn't the Ministry freeze Sirius account. Well.. like I said in some earlier post the Goblins just care about the money and the Ministry has no power whatsoever in Gringotts business.

To those last questions about why didn't the Goblins suspected from someone asking to take money out of an escaped prisoner vault or why didn't the Ministry freeze Sirius account. Well.. like I said in some earlier post the Goblins just care about the money and the Ministry has no power whatsoever in Gringotts business.

'No story lives unless someone wants to read it. The stories we love best DO live in us forever. So whether you come by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you HOME.' - J.K.Rowling.
'And I just wanna say that, amm... I've loved every minute and thank you all very very much' -Dan Radcliffe

SORTED INTO GRYFFINDOR!!

Proud member of the POTTERMORE BATTALION
Old August 24th, 2011, 11:40 pm
First Year

Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Who is the "one more murder" referenced in the first chapter of GoF that Voldemort tells Wormtail they need to accomplish before the path to Harry Potter is clear?

the awkward moment when your username is Ravenclaw797 and Pottermore puts you in Gryffindor. but i'm a ravenclaw, through and through

Send me an owl if you want to join the POTTERMORE BATTALION GROUP
http://www.cosforums.com/group.php?groupid=525
and i'll invite you. Everyone who's been posting on the chat threads is basically in the Battalion and therefore needs to join. (Don't be shy!)
Old August 24th, 2011, 11:50 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenclaw797 View Post
Who is the "one more murder" referenced in the first chapter of GoF that Voldemort tells Wormtail they need to accomplish before the path to Harry Potter is clear?
I always thought that it was Snape because at that time Voldemort thought that Snape had turned traitor and gone over to Dumbledore's side.

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:07 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
I always thought that it was Snape because at that time Voldemort thought that Snape had turned traitor and gone over to Dumbledore's side.
Could be, but I don't see why Voldemort would think Snape was an obstacle to getting to Harry. Dumbledore would be more likely IMO.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:12 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
The book never said. I think they wanted us to assume it was Snape, but I think someone else was meant. I had always thought Voldy meant Alastor Moody, because he was planning to put Crouch Jr. in his place. Voldy usually just killed people instead of hiding them. I was shocked at the end, esp. when Moody turned up in a trunk. I didn't think it was Voldy's style.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, After all this time?
And I will say, Always.
- source unknown
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:21 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
The book never said. I think they wanted us to assume it was Snape, but I think someone else was meant. I had always thought Voldy meant Alastor Moody, because he was planning to put Crouch Jr. in his place. Voldy usually just killed people instead of hiding them. I was shocked at the end, esp. when Moody turned up in a trunk. I didn't think it was Voldy's style.
I think you're right. At least I can't come up with anything better.

'No story lives unless someone wants to read it. The stories we love best DO live in us forever. So whether you come by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you HOME.' - J.K.Rowling.
'And I just wanna say that, amm... I've loved every minute and thank you all very very much' -Dan Radcliffe

SORTED INTO GRYFFINDOR!!

Old August 25th, 2011, 12:36 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
Couldn't have been Moody. They needed to keep him alive for his hair for the Polyjuice Potion.

My best guess was Crouch Sr., but I am by no means positive on this, so that's why I'd like to hear more opinions.

the awkward moment when your username is Ravenclaw797 and Pottermore puts you in Gryffindor. but i'm a ravenclaw, through and through

and i'll invite you. Everyone who's been posting on the chat threads is basically in the Battalion and therefore needs to join. (Don't be shy!)
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:39 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Couldn't have been Moody. They needed to keep him alive for his hair for the Polyjuice Potion.

My best guess was Crouch Sr., but I am by no means positive on this, so that's why I'd like to hear more opinions.
Hair can be pulled and kept, but that does make sense.

Crouch Sr. is also a possibility. He was killed after his usefulness ran out, and this is more in keeping with Voldy's personality.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, After all this time?
And I will say, Always.
- source unknown
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:39 am
Third Year

Quote:

I was thinking Crouch Senior too. Good question though, I had assumed he meant Bertha Jorkins until I realised she was already dead at that stage.

Old August 25th, 2011, 1:05 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
My opinion is that it was referring to Harry. The ellipses mean that there could have been any number of words between the bits of phrases heard by Frank, and I figured that Harry was the "one more murder" which was required (as in "one more murder and my immortality will be secured," given he saw Harry as the one barrier between himself and immortality).

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old August 25th, 2011, 1:06 am
Second Year

Posted by bathsheda:
He completely forgot about it. When Sirius gave Harry the parcel he tells Harry to "use it if you need me". But Harry doesn't want to be the one who leads Sirius into danger, so he just puts the parcel away without even opening it. When he finds it again at the end of the book he at first doesn't even remember where it comes from. Only then does he unwrap it and discover what it is.

It's imo oppinion the biggest tragic irony of the story that Harry doesn't open the parcel because he doesn't want to be the one who lures Sirius out of hiding and then ends up luring Sirius to his death precisely because he didn't use the mirror.

Though I have to say I alway wondered why Sirius didn't remind Harry of the mirror when they spoke about his father.

Thanks haha, completely forgot he didn't open it! And that is the saddest thing

best harry potter song ever!!
Old August 25th, 2011, 1:27 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
My opinion is that it was referring to Harry. The ellipses mean that there could have been any number of words between the bits of phrases heard by Frank, and I figured that Harry was the "one more murder" which was required (as in "one more murder and my immortality will be secured," given he saw Harry as the one barrier between himself and immortality).
Its an editing mistake, 'murder' only shows up in the early US editions, its 'one more curse' in the UK editions & in later US editions.

Old August 25th, 2011, 1:27 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
No, there was a quote like "one more murder and the path to the boy is clear." Voldemort makes it clear that one more murder is necessary BEFORE Harry can be killed, so the murder can't BE Harry.

Old August 25th, 2011, 1:35 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocat View Post
Its an editing mistake, 'murder' only shows up in the early US editions, its 'one more curse' in the UK editions & in later US editions.
In the English version it actually says 'one more obstacle removed and our path to Harry Potter is clear.' I've just looked it up. It's in page 15 of GoF.

SORTED INTO GRYFFINDOR!!

Old August 25th, 2011, 1:37 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
No, there was a quote like "one more murder and the path to the boy is clear." Voldemort makes it clear that one more murder is necessary BEFORE Harry can be killed, so the murder can't BE Harry.
Oh, I see, I was considering the wrong passage. Yeah, my version has "one more obstacle removed" and it also has "one more curse" in the other one.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old August 25th, 2011, 1:44 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

I always took it to mean the death of Crouch Sr., but if later versions use "curse," it may be a correction. In that case, I'm thinking it refers to the capture of Moody. Voldemort says that by the time that step comes into play, his faithful servant (who I take to be Crouch Jr.) will have rejoined him. Barty later admits to being part of Moody's capture.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old August 25th, 2011, 2:32 am
First Year

Ooh that's interesting. But there are two lines: "Come, Wormtail, one more death and our path to Harry Potter is clear" and "One more murder...my faithful servant at Hogwarts...Harry Potter is as good as mine, Wormtail" in the American edition. In the British edition does it say curse for both?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References