Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Merope Gaunt: Character Analysis

Old November 23rd, 2011, 8:37 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Merope Gaunt: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanite1984 View Post
I won't go into too much detail, we must avoid character bashing, but she was more horrifying than Voldemort was, make no mistake about that.
I think that's a hyperbole. IMO there really isn't much comparison between a woman who did a stupid thing for a few months and a man who murdered and terrorized countless people across decades.

Merope was just an eighteen year old girl who was hopelessly in love. People do stupid things when they are young and in love. She did a stupid thing in giving Riddle the love potion and she paid dearly for it when Riddle walked out on her after a few months. Realizing that the person she loved so much didn't give a damn about her would have shattered her and I believe that is the reason she lost the will to live. Heartbreak. She died a year after getting married, at the age of nineteen. She lived long enough to give birth to her child (her only remaining tie to Riddle) and died wishing he looked like his father. Frankly, I find it amazing that she gave him her father's name as well despite the way he treated her. Merope's story is one of tragedy and sorrow and from my point of view in no way comparable to Voldemort's.

Last edited by wolfbrother; November 24th, 2011 at 10:24 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2011, 8:51 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

A reminder to everyone to respect other members' right to disagree and that all opinions must be clearly marked as such. Thanks

Old November 23rd, 2011, 9:10 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
Merope was just an eighteen year old girl who was hopelessly in love. People do stupid things when they are young and in love. She did a stupid thing in giving Riddle the love potion and she paid dearly for it when Riddle walked out on her after a few months. Realizing that the person she loved so much didn't give a damn about her would have shattered her and I believe that is the reason she lost the will to live. Heartbreak. She died a year after getting married, at the age of nineteen. She lived long enough to give birth to her child (her only remaining tie to Riddle) and died wishing he looked like his father. Frankly, I find it amazing that she gave him her father's name as well despite the way he treated her. Merope's story is one of tragedy and sorrow and in no way comparable to Voldemort's.

While I agree that Merope was not as bad as her son became, I consider her actions far more than just "stupid". I find what she did to Tom Riddle Sr. to be very disturbing, and I think it would be far more highly criticised if a male character had done the same thing to a female character. My sympathies in terms of the Merope/Tom forced relationship are with Tom Sr. No matter how unpleasant and snobbish he may have been, he was forced into a relationship, against his will, without his knowledge of what he was doing. I wouldn't blame him for leaving, just as I wouldn't blame a kidnap victim for running when they saw their captor gone and the door left unlocked. IMO, that is essentially what he did - the door was left unlocked when she stopped feeding him love potion. He didn't owe her anything, after what she did to him, IMO. I don't think she loved him, either, she knew little to nothing about him - I think she loved the idea of an escape from her abusive family and painted Tom Riddle Sr. as the means to an escpae in her mind.

I think Merope gave him her father's name because she was extremely emotionally damaged - she didn't know what love really was. If she did, she wouldn't have done what she did to Tom Sr. - that isn't love, IMO.
I think Marvolo may have drummed in the message that the family name and heritage was important, and while she went against that when she ran away and abducted Tom Sr., I think maybe she wanted to retain some of her heritage in her child's name - I think it was something deeply ingrained in her in some ways, even as she wanted to escape.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 11:40 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
While I agree that Merope was not as bad as her son became, I consider her actions far more than just "stupid". I find what she did to Tom Riddle Sr. to be very disturbing, and I think it would be far more highly criticised if a male character had done the same thing to a female character. My sympathies in terms of the Merope/Tom forced relationship are with Tom Sr. No matter how unpleasant and snobbish he may have been, he was forced into a relationship, against his will, without his knowledge of what he was doing. I wouldn't blame him for leaving, just as I wouldn't blame a kidnap victim for running when they saw their captor gone and the door left unlocked. IMO, that is essentially what he did - the door was left unlocked when she stopped feeding him love potion. He didn't owe her anything, after what she did to him, IMO.
The reason I said her action was stupid was because, IMO, she didn't think it through. I don't think she had any malicious intention when she did it. Like Dumbledore said, she would have thought it romantic and done it without realizing that she was robbing Riddle of his free will. She realized soon enough that this was not what she wanted and when Riddle left her, she made no attempt to get him back. I think at that point, she understood exactly what the love potion did.

Incidentally, it is interesting that there was no real outrage when Romilda Vane gave those chocolates spiked with love potion. It seems as though love potions are treated lightly in the Wizarding World.

I don't blame Riddle for leaving Merope either. It would have been quite an unnerving experience for him.

Quote:
I don't think she loved him, either, she knew little to nothing about him - I think she loved the idea of an escape from her abusive family and painted Tom Riddle Sr. as the means to an escpae in her mind.
IMO she had extremely strong feelings for him which she harbored for quite a while. Its possible she spied on him and dreamed of him as her Prince Charming who rescued her from her family, but I do think she genuinely cared about him. Her actions after he left her give me that impression.

Quote:
I think Merope gave him her father's name because she was extremely emotionally damaged - she didn't know what love really was. If she did, she wouldn't have done what she did to Tom Sr. - that isn't love, IMO.
I think Marvolo may have drummed in the message that the family name and heritage was important, and while she went against that when she ran away and abducted Tom Sr., I think maybe she wanted to retain some of her heritage in her child's name - I think it was something deeply ingrained in her in some ways, even as she wanted to escape.
I guess this could be a reason but I'd have thought that she would name him Gaunt and not Marvolo.

Old November 24th, 2011, 2:24 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I think she named her baby after her father, because deep down, she did love him.

Old November 24th, 2011, 2:37 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

I see poor Merope as a product of in-breeding to the point of her being mentally challenged (as was her brother the snake slayer). The emotional and physical abuse from her father and brother certainly didn't help any. In order to be able to better one's self, to know right from wrong, a person has to have some sort of ability to do a "reality check." Until she got away from her family, I don't feel Merope had this ability. When she did get away, she may have actually felt bad that she'd tricked Tom, Sr. into marrying her. She must have removed the love spell, or he wouldn't have left her.

Yes, it is disturbing that anyone would have so many things against them from the beginning of their life until the end. It didn't seem she had anything, other than a stolen year of "happiness." Then, it was over and it seems she felt that her reason for living was over as well.

It is so sad that she totally gave up after Tom left her and didn't care enough to live to help raise her son. But, her life was so miserable with her father and brother, and she knew, even if she'd wanted to (which I doubt she did), her father wasn't going to take her back. Not after she'd left to marry a Muggle. What a terrible thing for anyone's life to be that bad.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old November 24th, 2011, 2:44 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
I see poor Merope as a product of in-breeding to the point of her being mentally challenged (as was her brother the snake slayer). The emotional and physical abuse from her father and brother certainly didn't help any. In order to be able to better one's self, to know right from wrong, a person has to have some sort of ability to do a "reality check." Until she got away from her family, I don't feel Merope had this ability. When she did get away, she may have actually felt bad that she'd tricked Tom, Sr. into marrying her. She must have removed the love spell, or he wouldn't have left her.

Yes, it is disturbing that anyone would have so many things against them from the beginning of their life until the end. It didn't seem she had anything, other than a stolen year of "happiness." Then, it was over and it seems she felt that her reason for living was over as well.

It is so sad that she totally gave up after Tom left her and didn't care enough to live to help raise her son. But, her life was so miserable with her father and brother, and she knew, even if she'd wanted to (which I doubt she did), her father wasn't going to take her back. Not after she'd left to marry a Muggle. What a terrible thing for anyone's life to be that bad.
you summed it up pretty nicely. She did stop making the love potion, or Dumbledore guessed that she stopped making it.

Old November 24th, 2011, 3:25 am
Second Year

I think Merope was a perfect example of a broken person.

I'm a Hufflepuff in a Slytherin World!

snape lives imho
Old November 24th, 2011, 8:33 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
Actually, it was not even a year. She had Voldemort a year after getting married and Riddle left her while she was still pregnant. So that makes it just a few months.

Old March 14th, 2012, 3:42 pm
First Year

To me, Merope's decision to use the love potion on Tom Riddle Sr. is reflective of the physical and psychological abuse inflicted onto her as a child. Perhaps she did what she did because she had all the power sapped away from her when she was young, and this is naught more than her way of reclaiming that power, somewhat like a vicarious form of revenge. However, the question of whether she is at "fault" is a huge one. On one hand, we shouldn't absolve her from what she did solely based on the fact that she had undergone such trauma when she was a child. Much conversely, maybe she is in fact, to be pitied. Growing up the way she did, there was probably minimal contact with the outside world, and her father and brother might have been all that she had and known.

As for the issue of her magical abilities, I'd like to believe that she chose to die simply because she had enough. Tom Riddle Sr. leaving her seemed to be the final straw and to her, maybe that was it. Still, I feel as if we should give her credit when it's due. She did visit the orphanage to deliver her baby instead of simply aborting it through whatever means she had. Also, she gave her baby a name, which at the most basic of levels, seems to indicate the littlest shimmer of hope she possessed for her child. All in all, I feel as if she did try to have a shot at life, and when that failed, the hopelessness did consume her, leaving her with naught more than fragile hopes for her son, and the blissful release that came in the form of death.

Old October 30th, 2012, 4:17 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
I don't blame Riddle for leaving Merope either. It would have been quite an unnerving experience for him.

IMO she had extremely strong feelings for him which she harbored for quite a while. Its possible she spied on him and dreamed of him as her Prince Charming who rescued her from her family, but I do think she genuinely cared about him. Her actions after he left her give me that impression.
I don't blame him for leaving her, either. That's true. She only knew him by sight, and all she really knew was just that he was a Muggle and he was rich. She probably just became obsessed with him. Perhaps obsessions run in the Gaunt family?

Old October 30th, 2012, 9:20 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian85033 View Post
I don't blame him for leaving her, either. That's true. She only knew him by sight, and all she really knew was just that he was a Muggle and he was rich. She probably just became obsessed with him. Perhaps obsessions run in the Gaunt family?
I don't blame him either. Just as I wouldn't blame any other abduction victim for taking the first chance they got to escape. And being honest, that's what he was - an abduction victim. I'm not going to kid myself by saying he was a husband who abandoned her. He was a kidnap victim who escaped when he could. Merope's situation was sad, but she kidnapped this man and she forced him into a physical relationship without his consent - I don't understand criticism of him for escaping.

Good point about obsessions - maybe they are a bit of a thing - successive generations were obsessed with blood purity, to the extent of marrying cousins and becoming seriously inbred. I do think that Merope became obsessed with Tom Sr. - it certainly wasn't love - if there was love, she loved the idea of him more than Tom himself. I think she saw him as some kind of knight in shining armour, the man who would rescue her from her situation. I think she was very dependent in that sense - after Marvolo and Morfin were imprisoned, a stronger person could have left on her own, without forcing the Prince Charming fantasy on someone else.

"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old October 30th, 2012, 9:47 pm
Third Year

You are right. Riddle did leave Merope while she was pregnant and didn't care what became of his son, but as you said, Merope kidnapped [staff edit] him. So, in a way, Riddle was also a victim. He was probably only wanted to forget what happened. In HBP, it seems Dumbledore and Harry were more sympathizing with Merope because she abandoned him, but really, she brought this on herself. I think Riddle is the one who deserves more sympathy.

Voldemort also developed obsessions. He was obsessed with his parentage, killing Harry, achieving immortality.

Last edited by Melaszka; October 30th, 2012 at 10:07 pm. Reason: Banned topic
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:11 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Just a reminder to all of you that adult topics, such as rape, are out of bounds here. that said, obviously, you may discuss adult events as depicted in the books, but I would ask you to avoid the word "rape" itself and to be sensitive to the forum's family-friendly nature in the way in which you address the issues. Thanks

Last edited by Melaszka; October 30th, 2012 at 10:13 pm.
Old November 1st, 2012, 11:08 pm
Second Year

Merope struck me as a weak person mainly because of her abuse at the hands of her father and brother. You are right. If she was strong she would have left. I don't know if she really loved Riddle Sr. but I think she did have something for him to make her feel like she should stop the love potion and hope for a real family with him. Maybe it was guilt. But I do think she was capable of love.

I think she felt so defeated after her horrible life and Riddle leaving that she simply could not go on. Dumbledore even said she was not strong and say that was was a major difference between her and Lily. Lily was strong and Merope was not. After seeing what happened to her it would take incredible strength and I do sympathize with her. I think had she lived, there would be no Voldemort.

Old November 2nd, 2012, 8:30 pm
Third Year

But Merope did not really know what love was. I mean, certainly her father and her brother didn't love her. Maybe she was just confusing her obsession for Riddle with love. After all, if she had loved Riddle so so much, wouldn't she have preferred to see him happy, even if it wasn't with her?

Old November 2nd, 2012, 11:05 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_chick_div View Post
Merope struck me as a weak person mainly because of her abuse at the hands of her father and brother. You are right. If she was strong she would have left. I don't know if she really loved Riddle Sr. but I think she did have something for him to make her feel like she should stop the love potion and hope for a real family with him. Maybe it was guilt. But I do think she was capable of love.

I think she felt so defeated after her horrible life and Riddle leaving that she simply could not go on. Dumbledore even said she was not strong and say that was was a major difference between her and Lily. Lily was strong and Merope was not. After seeing what happened to her it would take incredible strength and I do sympathize with her. I think had she lived, there would be no Voldemort.
I agree, I tend to sympathize with her because of her horrible situation and her upbringing. To me she seemed slightly unbalanced in the head but it's not surprising the way she turned out, what with her abusive dad and brother (and the in-family marriages).
With that in mind, I can kind of understand why she would give Tom Riddle Sr. the love potion, although I definitely think it was wrong and a bit creepy. IMO she thought her obsession (and I do tend to see it as an obsession) with Tom was true love and she seemed to see Tom as someone who could solve all her problems and make her happy (something her own family would never give her). Perhaps once she'd gotten away from her family she was able to think more clearly. She might have thought that Tom Riddle would come to love her without the potion so she stopped giving it to him.

Old November 14th, 2012, 2:41 pm
Third Year

I think it makes sense that she would confuse her confusion makes sense. After all, she never knew what love was. I'm pretty sure her father and her brother were never even nice to her.

If Merope had lived there would be no Voldemort, but what if Tom Riddle had looked for his son and found him? Would he still have become Voldemort?

Old November 17th, 2012, 12:18 am
Second Year

Quote:
If Merope had lived there would be no Voldemort, but what if Tom Riddle had looked for his son and found him? Would he still have become Voldemort?
I don't believe he would have become Voldemort. But he would certainly remain arrogant seeing as Riddle Sr. himself was arrogant. But they would have instilled in him some values and he would not have been against muggleborns.

Old November 17th, 2012, 10:47 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian85033 View Post
I think it makes sense that she would confuse her confusion makes sense. After all, she never knew what love was. I'm pretty sure her father and her brother were never even nice to her.

Perhaps he would not have become Voldemort. But that is placing an awful lot of responsibility on the shoulders of a victim of a crime. Riddle Sr. had been a victim of horrible crimes - no matter how arrogant or snobbish he was, what Merope did to him was a crime, what Merope did to him forced him against his will to elope with her, and have a physical relationship with her.

Riddle Sr. may not have known Merope was pregnant. Or, depending on when she told him, he may not have believed her. Merope may have thought it romantic to let the love potion wear off, then tell Riddle she was pregnant - in which case, it would seem to him another lie, to persuade a kidnap victim to stay. Or, if she had told him before she left the potion wear off, but was only early in her pregnancy, he may not have believed her when she left the potion wear off. He may have seen at as just another lie. And if he believed her, I can see why he wouldn't want anything to do with them - he was forced against his will to have this relationship, this child. IMO, the best that could be hoped for would be for Riddle to take his son, and keep Merope far away from him. Also, it would have been very hard for Riddle to track down Merope and his child, after he escaped. This was in the 1920s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_chick_div View Post
I don't believe he would have become Voldemort. But he would certainly remain arrogant seeing as Riddle Sr. himself was arrogant. But they would have instilled in him some values and he would not have been against muggleborns.
Perhaps. If Riddle had believed Merope, or if he had found his child, Tom Riddle would probably never have grown into Voldemort. IMO, he would still have had some serious issues, though.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies