Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Comments on: CoS Forums

Old June 27th, 2007, 10:57 pm
Auror Emeritus

Re: Comments on: CoS Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
There's a huge difference between saying "Hi my name is Jessica and I live in California" and "Hi my name is Jessica and I'll be at the Hollywood Bowl on Friday night at 8 pm wearing overalls and a pink hat." We draw the line at anything that would allow someone to find you specifically.
Hmmm...8 pm...Hollyweird Bowl...Friday night...pink hat. *makes note to bring camera*

Old June 27th, 2007, 11:00 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
There's a huge difference between saying "Hi my name is Jessica and I live in California" and "Hi my name is Jessica and I'll be at the Hollywood Bowl on Friday night at 8 pm wearing overalls and a pink hat." We draw the line at anything that would allow someone to find you specifically.

As for the other question, I think lanifiel answered it fairly well here: "Why has my thread been locked?" A brief summary on our policy

wait... who said anything about "hello yes i will be at the parkway theater in front of the second pillar wearing jeans and a pink shirt at 10:03am on the day of..."

come on lets keep this reasonable please... i really would like an honest answer

telling you that i will be at the OotP premeir in hollywood would not give way for you to know exaclty who i was or enable you to single me out of the 100s of people there at that event... or the 100s at the theater (yes mine holds hundreds)

again... please be realistic... i want an honest reply as to why this forum asks where and individual lives but wont allow its members to know where there will be big midnight showings at the theaters

Old June 27th, 2007, 11:02 pm
Mouse

I am being realistic. We're not going there. End of conversation.

Old July 8th, 2007, 6:34 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Why is it that, when searching the forums, I cannot include words that have fewer than three characters in my inquiry? I'm trying to search for a particular post that I believe was made in the "Harry (or his Scar) a Horcrux? v.2" thread but was made to remove the parenthesis followed by the "a", then the "v.2", and finally the "or".

"Harry his Scar Horcrux?"

Needless to say, it's not turning up what I want...

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old July 8th, 2007, 6:39 pm
Secret Keeper

The search engine requires more than 3 characters. If you owl me the specifics I'll try and run the quote down for you.

Old July 8th, 2007, 6:43 pm
Unspeakable

Try searching for "Harry AND scar." When I do that Harry (or his Scar) a Horcrux? v.2 is one of the results.

You can use AND and OR like that to connect terms.

Last edited by hermy_weasley2; July 8th, 2007 at 7:02 pm.
Old July 8th, 2007, 7:20 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Thanks, I'll try.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old July 8th, 2007, 9:55 pm
Unloved by all...

It's just a forum software feature. Having search engines set to find "a" can and does causes crashes, both malicious and benign in nature.

Know Lani... Love Lani... ^_^
Old July 9th, 2007, 7:37 pm
Fifth Year

A benign crash?

Old July 9th, 2007, 8:57 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
A benign crash?
I think he means one cause by accident ,not on purpose or by evil intent.

twins

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old August 12th, 2007, 4:22 am
First Year

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to give this comment..critique would be a better word I suppose, so please feel free to move this as needed.

I have been a member of many online communities for MANY years now, and have only been a member here for a few weeks. Over the course of those few weeks I have noticed several instances where perfectly normal threads have been locked for, and I quote, becoming too "chit-chatty". These threads have been in the Common Room, thus seem to invite "chit-chattiness" in the types of topics in that particular forum.

I do not see how you expect newbies like myself to grow in a community where we are discouraged to take a topic in whatever direction that it naturally goes in, especially topics in non-HP Book, non-serious study threads. it seems to me that some of your admin/aurors (not sure which) seem to take the power to their heads.

I enjoy the serious nature of the forums that have to do with plot/character analysis, but I also wish that I could enjoy the community aspect of the other forums, like the Common Room, as well.

I think this community would be much more enjoyable to many members, not just the new ones, if we were allowed to talk more openly.

Thanks for your consideration,

Jo

Old August 12th, 2007, 6:02 am
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

The Common Room is still a discussion forum where post count is on. One reason for discourageing chit chat there is that it often enough destroys any effort to keep up a meaningful discussion. Another is that we don't want to encourage post count boosting.

So we have tried to steer the 'social only' and 'just for fun' talks into the Quidditch Pitch and the Great Hall.

Old August 13th, 2007, 12:39 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
The Common Room is still a discussion forum where post count is on. One reason for discourageing chit chat there is that it often enough destroys any effort to keep up a meaningful discussion. Another is that we don't want to encourage post count boosting.

So we have tried to steer the 'social only' and 'just for fun' talks into the Quidditch Pitch and the Great Hall.

well, I COMPLETELY disagree with the way the threads are locked, but I guess that's your boat to float

thank you for the reply, though

Old August 13th, 2007, 12:53 am
Unloved by all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonWing View Post
well, I COMPLETELY disagree with the way the threads are locked, but I guess that's your boat to float

thank you for the reply, though
It's an issue that comes up every once and awhile. As someone who helped write the policy we go by the decision making that went into it is based upon wanting discussion to be about a specific topic, rather than general chatter. Hence when a thread is started with a purpose in mind, ie a move or a book, we want the discussion to be based on that topic. This way the topic remains true to what the starter had intended.

If its jokes or general chatter then the Quidditch Pitch is where you want to go.

Know Lani... Love Lani... ^_^
Old August 13th, 2007, 10:36 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanifiel View Post
It's an issue that comes up every once and awhile. As someone who helped write the policy we go by the decision making that went into it is based upon wanting discussion to be about a specific topic, rather than general chatter. Hence when a thread is started with a purpose in mind, ie a move or a book, we want the discussion to be based on that topic. This way the topic remains true to what the starter had intended.

If its jokes or general chatter then the Quidditch Pitch is where you want to go.
fair enough. No hard feelings I hope, I just wanted to give some constructive criticism from a newbie's perspective Just so you guys know I'm not just a whiner, I really do think the rest of the forums are remarkably well-run and organized.

Old September 2nd, 2007, 6:00 pm
I trusted Severus Snape

I'd just like to ask a favor.

Now that the spoiler policy is over, could somone please merge the Hogwarts Staff Meeting thread with the post-DH episodes?

http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=3617
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=108178

Also, the feedback threads for them?

http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=61191
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=108182

Thanks!

Old September 2nd, 2007, 6:05 pm
Eldest Gruff

Done, Ink!

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 6:27 pm
I trusted Severus Snape

Thanks, Gertiekeddle!

Old September 9th, 2007, 3:31 am
First Year

I think this description on the profile should be changed:
"By wearing an Invisibility Cloak you will be able to browse CoS without appearing on the 'Marauders Map'".
I would assume only the administration has the "Marauders Map", and they could still see someone's name even if they're wearing the invisibility cloak (which is correct in the HP universe). They would be invisible to the rest of us, but STILL visible in the Marauders Map, which is in the hands of the administration
Either that, or the name "marauders map" should be changed, because if someone is wearing the invisibility cloak, they would still show up in the marauders map. Only the administrations should have the maradeurs map, because they're able to see ALL members, even if they're wearing the invisibility cloak. kthxbye

Old September 9th, 2007, 12:21 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorador View Post
I think this description on the profile should be changed:
"By wearing an Invisibility Cloak you will be able to browse CoS without appearing on the 'Marauders Map'".
I would assume only the administration has the "Marauders Map", and they could still see someone's name even if they're wearing the invisibility cloak (which is correct in the HP universe). They would be invisible to the rest of us, but STILL visible in the Marauders Map, which is in the hands of the administration
Either that, or the name "marauders map" should be changed, because if someone is wearing the invisibility cloak, they would still show up in the marauders map. Only the administrations should have the maradeurs map, because they're able to see ALL members, even if they're wearing the invisibility cloak. kthxbye
I have the cloaking device but I know that 'they' can still see me