Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Molly Weasley: Character Analysis



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #101  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:30 pm
mexicant's Avatar
mexicant  Female.gif mexicant is offline
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey
 
Joined: 4608 days
Location: perpetual disillusionment
Age: 33
Posts: 1,974
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Well I was thinking in terms of an older more experienced Ginny. I am sure Charlie and Bill were in duels as well in some corner of the room and Molly wasn't noted hoping from duel to duel in order to assist all of her kids. But they are more experienced adults and you'd imagine Molly would think that if Charlie could tame Dragons, he could handle a DE in a duel - not that it always works out in any case. I think she particularly interceded because Bella was clearly more adept at dueling than Ginny. I mean Bella had no business dueling children in the first place.
As a mommy, I have to disagree. No matter how old they get you will never want to see them fight their own fights like that. It isn't to say you won't let them, but my mother still intercedes on my behalf when she think things are getting ugly. I'm her baby. I'm her fourth and last child. That's a special place in a family no matter how much older siblings resent it.
I really don't think if Ginny were older she would have let her fight that fight alone. Her son had still just died, and she didn't want to lose another. I think she would have stepped in for any of her children at that point, even Bill or Charlie. It isn't rational and it doesn't have to be - it's a motherly instinct to protect your kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Um...so if she lost all 6 boys, but Ginny remained alive, all is well? I think Molly's dream would culminate in a nightmare. I felt she said 'not my daughter' precisely because it was her daughter without added meaning or implications. I think if it had been Ron, she would have done the same, except of course said "not my son".
I agree with that, though I don't think that anyone meant to say if some kids were gone but Ginny was around things would be peachy keen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post
Ginny is "the girl" and "the baby". There is a special place in Molly's heart for Ginny in that capacity. I never said that Molly wouldn't do as such for the other boys if she'd had the chance, only that in this particular instance Molly stood to lose that part of her family. Her baby girl. With the boys Molly has allowed them to grow and make mistakes and take on life. She has been able to let go of them enough to do the dangerous jobs. She doesn't like it, she'd stop it if she thought she could shelter them forever, but she's had time with the boys to let them do what they have to do, and to be emotional accepting even though she'd rather not be. With Ginny, Molly has not had that emotional separation that all parents must go through.
I can't agree with this more. She was still extremely controlling of Ginny's behavior because it was all she had left. I've been in the receiving end of that position and was able to understand my mom while she did it. She had no control over my brothers' lives or my sister's so she grabbed a rather tenacious hold on mine. She just hadn't let go yet, and Molly had certainly not let go of Ginny yet when that happened. Not to mention, Ginny was her baby. A 16-year-old baby, sure, but forever and always her baby. To lose the youngest of your children is heart-wrenching and it isn't logical. It just kind of is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post
She hadn't emotionally accepted Ginny's life yet. Molly had at least thought she could still protect Ginny. And she did.
We can see this pretty clearly when she demands Ginny stay inside the RoR for the duration of the final battle. She wasn't ready to be faced with the possibility that Ginny could die. I think she had already accepted this for her other kids who had long been out of under her thumb.


__________________
"if we can hold on, we can fix what is wrong
buy a little time for this head of mine
haven for us..."


Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

avatar created by Moriath
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #102  
Old December 24th, 2008, 4:51 am
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4997 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
As a mommy, I have to disagree. No matter how old they get you will never want to see them fight their own fights like that. It isn't to say you won't let them, but my mother still intercedes on my behalf when she think things are getting ugly. I'm her baby. I'm her fourth and last child. That's a special place in a family no matter how much older siblings resent it. I really don't think if Ginny were older she would have let her fight that fight alone. Her son had still just died, and she didn't want to lose another. I think she would have stepped in for any of her children at that point, even Bill or Charlie. It isn't rational and it doesn't have to be - it's a motherly instinct to protect your kids.
Well your over-riding point may be true - it is quite possible Molly would have jumped in for any of her children seeing as Fred had just died, and Harry as well - although he was not strictly one of her kids.

However, your other point, while perhaps true for some families, as you have indicated it is in yours - I don't think is is true as a general rule. It is not true in my family for instance. So I don't think we can assume it is true for Molly that she saw Ginny in that way - she never stated that in canon as I recall.

Quote:
I can't agree with this more. She was still extremely controlling of Ginny's behavior because it was all she had left. I've been in the receiving end of that position and was able to understand my mom while she did it. She had no control over my brothers' lives or my sister's so she grabbed a rather tenacious hold on mine. She just hadn't let go yet, and Molly had certainly not let go of Ginny yet when that happened. Not to mention, Ginny was her baby. A 16-year-old baby, sure, but forever and always her baby. To lose the youngest of your children is heart-wrenching and it isn't logical. It just kind of is.
I agree with the controling aspect, but I think she would have jumped in for Ron too as he is no match for Bella in the general run of things. And as you pointed out above, quite possibly for any of her children. In other words, I don't think the controling aspect had anything to do with the situation in the Great Hall. She would perhaps have let go of that with respect to Ron, but she'd still have jumped in, imo.

And again, I don't think losing the baby of the family is any more heart wrenching than losing any other member of the family - at least not for all families. The idea is not only illogical to me, as you pointed out, but rather distasteful, imo.

Quote:
We can see this pretty clearly when she demands Ginny stay inside the RoR for the duration of the final battle. She wasn't ready to be faced with the possibility that Ginny could die. I think she had already accepted this for her other kids who had long been out of under her thumb.
I don't think Molly had accepted that her other children could die, any more than she was willing to accept that Ginny or Arthur could die. This I think was made clear in the Boggart scene. I feel that once her children reached the age of majority in the wizard world, she understood that they had a right to make an autonomous decision in that regard and while she could make recommendations (like asking Ron to stay home), she could not force them to do her bidding. However, Ginny was still underaged and still under the direction of her parents, so Molly could direct her to stay safe.

I wholly disagree with the 'baby of the family', 'only girl' or 'Ginny being the culmination of Molly's dream of having a girl' ideas as a basis for Molly's behavior. Ginny was still under her control, and the only one who was - but I would disagree with the ideas that her death would be more heartbreaking or that her death was something Molly was more eager to protect against than her other children (except in terms of Ginny being underaged - and Arthur would likely agree with that sentiment as well). Those ideas make the male children seem like she saw them more readily as canon fodder than she'd ever be able to see her daughter. I am not saying it is impossible for someone to feel that way - but I wholly disagree here only because if she did feel that way, I would lose all respect for Molly Weasley as a character.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old December 24th, 2008, 1:26 pm
flimseycauldron's Avatar
flimseycauldron  Female.gif flimseycauldron is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4565 days
Location: New England
Posts: 3,553
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
As a mommy, I have to disagree. No matter how old they get you will never want to see them fight their own fights like that. It isn't to say you won't let them, but my mother still intercedes on my behalf when she think things are getting ugly. I'm her baby. I'm her fourth and last child. That's a special place in a family no matter how much older siblings resent it.
I really don't think if Ginny were older she would have let her fight that fight alone. Her son had still just died, and she didn't want to lose another. I think she would have stepped in for any of her children at that point, even Bill or Charlie. It isn't rational and it doesn't have to be - it's a motherly instinct to protect your kids.
I agree that Molly would have interceded for any of her children at that point. Even Charlie who battles dragons. I would never suggest that she would do otherwise. As you say it's motherly instinct--not something easy to override.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
I can't agree with this more. She was still extremely controlling of Ginny's behavior because it was all she had left. I've been in the receiving end of that position and was able to understand my mom while she did it. She had no control over my brothers' lives or my sister's so she grabbed a rather tenacious hold on mine. She just hadn't let go yet, and Molly had certainly not let go of Ginny yet when that happened. Not to mention, Ginny was her baby. A 16-year-old baby, sure, but forever and always her baby. To lose the youngest of your children is heart-wrenching and it isn't logical. It just kind of is.
I think it's easy to forget how sometimes women become defined by their motherhood if only to themselves. The "mother" part crowds out everything. You see bits of yourself in your children. In a sense you live your life for and through your children. To lose any one would be heartwrenching, to lose one if you had the power to stop it even more so. Molly could not control the boys anymore (she tried though! ) but Ginny was still hers to keeps safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
We can see this pretty clearly when she demands Ginny stay inside the RoR for the duration of the final battle. She wasn't ready to be faced with the possibility that Ginny could die. I think she had already accepted this for her other kids who had long been out of under her thumb.
It had been that way since OoTP when she sent Ginny up to her room. If she could she would as the saying goes. She tried with the twins, and Harry, Hermione, and Ron, but they all had legitamate cases for staying around and were backed up by the other adults. Ginny did not get the same external support against Molly. Nobody argued with Molly about Ginny because almost everyone agreed she was too young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
However, your other point, while perhaps true for some families, as you have indicated it is in yours - I don't think is is true as a general rule. It is not true in my family for instance. So I don't think we can assume it is true for Molly that she saw Ginny in that way - she never stated that in canon as I recall.
Well JKR certainly made a big deal of Ginny as the only daughter as early as PS and says on her official site that Ginny was the only girl born in the Weasley family for several generations. Ginny is seen having that protectiveness of her brothers that Ron, as the youngest boy, certainly doesn't recieve. Ginny has a special place in the family as the baby and the only girl. The boys have their own special places. Losing any one of them Molly would lose a different unique piece of herself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
And again, I don't think losing the baby of the family is any more heart wrenching than losing any other member of the family - at least not for all families. The idea is not only illogical to me, as you pointed out, but rather distasteful, imo.
No it's not. But there is a difference. Everyone has a role to play in a family and if one of them dies the others can't just "fill in the gap" or pretend that that role in the family wasn't special. Fred and George were defined by their twinship more than anything. Once Fred died does anyone think that George wasn't treated differently within the family? Certainly nobody would stop loving him, certainly not, but he would most likely not be as fun loving, or carefree, and it would be less likely that you could depend on him for a good laugh. In the families case it would be a difficult adjustment to see George like that. For one everytime they say George they'd be reminded of Fred. Everytime they saw George they would hurt for him because Fred was gone. So while Fred was definately his own person, his role in the family was that of twin brother. So when people say it's heartwrenching to lose the baby of the family, they don't mean that it is MORE heartwrenching to lose the baby than say the first born. All it means is that that particular spot is no longer being filled and that is terribly hard for a family and a mother in particular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
I don't think Molly had accepted that her other children could die, any more than she was willing to accept that Ginny or Arthur could die. This I think was made clear in the Boggart scene. I feel that once her children reached the age of majority in the wizard world, she understood that they had a right to make an autonomous decision in that regard and while she could make recommendations (like asking Ron to stay home), she could not force them to do her bidding. However, Ginny was still underaged and still under the direction of her parents, so Molly could direct her to stay safe.
No a mother never accepts that her children might die. But part of letting go is understanding that your children can take care of themselves. That you, as a mother have done your best to keep them safe and raised them well. She wasn't there yet with Ginny. I think we all agree on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
I wholly disagree with the 'baby of the family', 'only girl' or 'Ginny being the culmination of Molly's dream of having a girl' ideas as a basis for Molly's behavior. Ginny was still under her control, and the only one who was - but I would disagree with the ideas that her death would be more heartbreaking or that her death was something Molly was more eager to protect against than her other children (except in terms of Ginny being underaged - and Arthur would likely agree with that sentiment as well). Those ideas make the male children seem like she saw them more readily as canon fodder than she'd ever be able to see her daughter. I am not saying it is impossible for someone to feel that way - but I wholly disagree here only because if she did feel that way, I would lose all respect for Molly Weasley as a character.
Where did anyone say she was more eager to protect Ginny more than the others? I have reiterated repeatedly that she would have gone to the mat for any of her children at that point. From the oldest to the youngest Molly would have stepped in for any of them. I never even said that part of her reasoning for attacking Bella was solely because Ginny was "special" in comparison to the boys. I was just pointing out that Molly understood what she, and the family, would be losing if anything happened to Ginny. Just as she knew what she had lost when Fred died. Just as she knew how the family might change when Bill got bitten by a werewolf. Just as she knew how the family changed when Percy estranged himself from the family. It doesn't mean that Ginny is better than her brothers. Nor that she was "more important" to Molly. Only that she has role within the family--just as everyone else.


Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old December 24th, 2008, 2:49 pm
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4997 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post
Well JKR certainly made a big deal of Ginny as the only daughter as early as PS and says on her official site that Ginny was the only girl born in the Weasley family for several generations. Ginny is seen having that protectiveness of her brothers that Ron, as the youngest boy, certainly doesn't recieve. Ginny has a special place in the family as the baby and the only girl. The boys have their own special places. Losing any one of them Molly would lose a different unique piece of herself.
Well I would not have made that response to this statement. I was responding to what Mexicant said. I agree every kid would leave a hole in the family.

Quote:
No it's not. But there is a difference. Everyone has a role to play in a family and if one of them dies the others can't just "fill in the gap" or pretend that that role in the family wasn't special. Fred and George were defined by their twinship more than anything. Once Fred died does anyone think that George wasn't treated differently within the family? Certainly nobody would stop loving him, certainly not, but he would most likely not be as fun loving, or carefree, and it would be less likely that you could depend on him for a good laugh. In the families case it would be a difficult adjustment to see George like that. For one everytime they say George they'd be reminded of Fred. Everytime they saw George they would hurt for him because Fred was gone. So while Fred was definately his own person, his role in the family was that of twin brother. So when people say it's heartwrenching to lose the baby of the family, they don't mean that it is MORE heartwrenching to lose the baby than say the first born. All it means is that that particular spot is no longer being filled and that is terribly hard for a family and a mother in particular.
Well same answer as above. I would not have made that response to this statement. .

Quote:
No a mother never accepts that her children might die. But part of letting go is understanding that your children can take care of themselves. That you, as a mother have done your best to keep them safe and raised them well. She wasn't there yet with Ginny. I think we all agree on that.
Yes I do - I am just not in agreement that she was there with Ron either in as far as his combatting someone she felt was his superior at dueling (like Bella). I think she would have had the same response. Actually, you may agree with that - but I am in disagreement with those who wouldn't.

Quote:
Where did anyone say she was more eager to protect Ginny more than the others? I have reiterated repeatedly...
Well that was not in response to you.

Quote:
I never even said that part of her reasoning for attacking Bella was solely because Ginny was "special" in comparison to the boys. I was just pointing out that Molly understood what she, and the family, would be losing if anything happened to Ginny. Just as she knew what she had lost when Fred died. Just as she knew how the family might change when Bill got bitten by a werewolf. Just as she knew how the family changed when Percy estranged himself from the family. It doesn't mean that Ginny is better than her brothers. Nor that she was "more important" to Molly. Only that she has role within the family--just as everyone else.
Right, well you are not differentiating then, although in all honesty, I don't know what you meant then when you originally said:

Quote:
flimseycauldron: Does not Molly say "Not my daughter"? She could have said "not my child" or "not another child" but she doesn't.
Apparently I misinterpreted it. Nonetheless, I agree that no matter which kid it was, Molly would have defended if she felt she could and needed to because there would be an empty space where that child once stood.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old December 24th, 2008, 9:43 pm
Schlubalybub's Avatar
Schlubalybub  Female.gif Schlubalybub is offline
Suteki da ne
 
Joined: 5958 days
Location: North East Wales
Age: 33
Posts: 2,750
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
I have to disagree about Molly sitting on the side and watching her child in a fight to the death. No mother worth her salt could do this outside of predetermined rules such as in a formal duel, and even then I think most mothers would be unable to just sit back and watch what happens.
That's pretty much what I was trying to say...however I do think that the fact that it was Ginny, her only daughter, did have a slight say in what happened here, I think that had it been Bill or Charlie, she wouldn't have been so hasty to jump in, she knows they are competent and can duel without her. However, if things were looking a bit dodgy for either of them (or any of them for that matter) I think that she would have jumped in anyway. She's seen brothers die, she's not gonna let children die, if not for her then to make sure that her children don't have to go through the hurt that she had to when Gideon and Fabien died


__________________
I don't need you to respect me, I respect me
I don't need you to love me, I love me
But I want you to know, you could know me
If you change your mind
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old December 25th, 2008, 11:29 pm
Labrynth  Female.gif Labrynth is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 3896 days
Location: Lurking in the Burrow
Posts: 332
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageThyme View Post
Welcome to the post-DH discussion of Molly Weasley. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here:Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

1) We saw a couple of new facets to Molly's personality in Deathly Hallows. Has your opinion of her changed?

2) Molly had that unforgettable line where she confronted Bellatrix. We saw that she was a very skilled fighter. Have we seen flashes of this passion in her before?

3) Does Molly put Ginny before her other children?

4)Can you picture Molly as a doting Granmother to Ron and Hermionie's children and Harry and Ginny's?
I'm quoting this before reading the whole thread so I can't be swayed *G*

1. No. I always assumed she was a strong witch. We never really saw her in battle but we knew that she had previously been in the Order as well. Even tho it was probably glossed over a number of times up until DH, I always felt Molly was a very strong woman by nature. Heck she raised how many kids, most of them boys?

2. She obviously knew her way around magic, just judging by what she managed around the house. I don't think it was a big revelation that she was pretty kick ***

3. I don't think she put Ginny above the others. Had it been Ron fighting Bellatrix I think her reaction would have been the same. It just happened to be Ginny.

4. LOL I can! I can totally see her spoiling her grandchildren rotten! But I can also see her making sure they have a strong moral compass and be able to speak their minds.

I loved Molly. Honestly I think she's a huge part of the reason I wanted to be a Weasley from the first book on.

Quote:
On the other hand, I think that JKR made Bella lose it. She truly was a great warrior and not only had incredible past experience, but also she had recently been doing a lot of dueling. That aside, she also had Bella move into "taunting" mode - like she did with Sirius. That is fine - except there is no reason in canon for her to take that attitude with Molly. With Sirius - yes - absolutely, but not with Molly. In my opinion, she would have just quickly sent an avada kedavra curse and -- the end. Now Having Molly somehow defeat her in spite of her doing that could be realistic because of the mother's formidable love aspect - but that is what had to happen for it to be realistic to me because Bella simply had no reason to move into full on taunting mode. She did toy with her prey, but even with Sirius, her taunting was not a long drawn out duel of play because she knew the danger. At the final battle, the danger was not only Molly, but all of the other goodsiders around and Bella would be taking way too great a risk to draw out a battle with Molly. But she did and that made it not feel right to me in the way Moriath felt.

And Moriath makes another good point. Molly was paralyzed with fear when she faced the Boggart and in that scene her children were dying also. The fact that she could not defeat the Boggart adds to her unrealistic portrayal at the final battle in that regard. Kind of Riddikulus (okay both an old and bad joke )

While I kind of see the point about the taunting, I think that since we know Bellatrix like to play with her prey before killing them it didn't seem odd to me for her to do that. Couple that with the fact that Bellatrix probably considered Molly and easy kill and I can see her taking the opportunity to taunt a sure kill so to speak. I have no doubt that she'd have taunted Molly about killing Ginny if she'd really had the chance.

Isn't the point of a good fighter partly being able to overcome your fears? Also, her boggart showed them already dead it didn't give her the chance to do anything about it. It didn't show them already fighting or dying. It's easy to talka bout what you might do in any situation, but you never really know it's true until it happens. Ginny was, as talented as she is, obviously out of her league. All three of them were since they were merely holding their own with Bellatrix. Molly had the opportunity to CHANGE what the boggart showed her and she did. I don't see that as out of character in any way.

The other thing is that we know she worked for the Order before, but we don't really know what her role was. For that matter, we don't really know what her role was THIS time either. It's a little implied that it was a more supportive role perhaps than inactive, but that doesn't mean she hasn't dueled before. As someone else said, after her brothers died, if she hadn't already done so, I can see her brushing up on her magic in case she needed it. She just didn't until that point in time that we know of.

Quote:
But the Bella part makes little sense - she absolutely discounted Molly, that was evident in the writting. But that she would do so in that particular situation makes her look daffy.

And:

Still, the facts are that Bellatrix knew Sirius to be a skilled fighter and there they hadn't even managed to get the prophecy. Whereas with Molly the war looked to be over, Bella's side had won and she was facing a woman whose biggest claim to fame was having lots of kids.
I don't agree. I will agree that Bellatrix is off her rocker, and probably has been since BEFORE she was in Azkaban actually. She simply saw Moly as someone weaker than herself, someone who was actually beneath her if you will. I think Bellatrix taunting her was just Bellatrix being who she was. She was high on battle and had probably knocked off more than one person during it. I wouldimagine she was feeling a little invincible given that she was pretty full of herself. Then little Molly Weasley shows up. A WEASLEY of all people. Blood traitors who are lower than even Muggle borns. Who is this redheaded nothing? And why should she fear her? That is completely in keeping with Bellatrix IMO.

Bellatrix would probably be even MORE full of herself considering she knocked off Sirius. I'm sure she thought she was pretty awesome for that.

Quote:
Well I think if Ginny had been an adult witch, say Tonk's age, with experience, Molly may have simply let her fight the battle herself.
I don't think Molly would have let Ginny do battle if she were of age either. It seemed pretty clear that the three of them against Bella werent' going to win without at least some luck. They were holding their own, which is fantastic given their experience level, but it's just that. They weren't going to win. Add that to the fact, as others have said, she'd already lost one child. I'd be willing to bet she'd be damned if she was letting ANYONE take another of her family from her.



Last edited by Labrynth; December 26th, 2008 at 1:03 am.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old December 30th, 2008, 1:54 pm
Schlubalybub's Avatar
Schlubalybub  Female.gif Schlubalybub is offline
Suteki da ne
 
Joined: 5958 days
Location: North East Wales
Age: 33
Posts: 2,750
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

I agree with the last bit here...the ones fighting Bella were doing exceptionally well before Molly came along, but I don't think that they would have lasted much longer without some outside help. I also agree with what you said about Bella thinking that Molly was nothing, and she wouldn't have been able to fight her any more than the kids could. However Bella had done what Voldemort would have done- discounted the power of love as little more than a phrase.


__________________
I don't need you to respect me, I respect me
I don't need you to love me, I love me
But I want you to know, you could know me
If you change your mind
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old December 30th, 2008, 10:58 pm
Labrynth  Female.gif Labrynth is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 3896 days
Location: Lurking in the Burrow
Posts: 332
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
I agree with the last bit here...the ones fighting Bella were doing exceptionally well before Molly came along, but I don't think that they would have lasted much longer without some outside help. I also agree with what you said about Bella thinking that Molly was nothing, and she wouldn't have been able to fight her any more than the kids could. However Bella had done what Voldemort would have done- discounted the power of love as little more than a phrase.
General consensus from the pure bloods was that the Weasleys were inferior, perhaps only because they were considered blood traitors. But in CoS Dumbledore tells Lucius that if more diaries ended up floating around that Arthur Weasley would make sure it made its way back to Lucius. It was enough of a threat to make Lucius think twice about things it seems. So while the Weasleys might have been seen as somewhat inadequate by some, especially the elitists, it's pretty obvious they weren't.

Witht hat in mind, Bellatrix, who had been in Azkaban and likely didn't have much of an idea what the other families had been up to (Not that she cared) would have no reason to think Molly could stand up to her. And likely never imagined, much like the Lord she served, that Love could ever count for so much or give someone that much more stength.


Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old December 31st, 2008, 1:15 pm
Schlubalybub's Avatar
Schlubalybub  Female.gif Schlubalybub is offline
Suteki da ne
 
Joined: 5958 days
Location: North East Wales
Age: 33
Posts: 2,750
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

The thing with Bella is that she thought that anyone who wasn't a Voldemort follower was scum...including Molly Weasley, obviously. And Molly's love is what gave her the strength to stand up to her. I'm glad that Molly did it. Too many people just saw her as the mother-figure in the books- nobody imagined that the fact that she was the mother figure would give her the strength to dispose of someone


__________________
I don't need you to respect me, I respect me
I don't need you to love me, I love me
But I want you to know, you could know me
If you change your mind
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old January 9th, 2009, 12:28 am
Labrynth  Female.gif Labrynth is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 3896 days
Location: Lurking in the Burrow
Posts: 332
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

What do you think Molly was like when she was at Hogwarts? I say she had a bit of rebel in her... her kids didn't get it from thin air!


__________________

Fan Fic: The Face in the Mirror Always happy to have Feedback
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old January 9th, 2009, 8:37 am
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 5188 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,039
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrynth View Post
What do you think Molly was like when she was at Hogwarts? I say she had a bit of rebel in her... her kids didn't get it from thin air!
Well, we do know that she sneaked out at night to meet Arthur, so she didn't take the rules too seriously in that regard.


Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old January 9th, 2009, 6:59 pm
PureBloodGirl  Female.gif PureBloodGirl is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4173 days
Location: Imprisoned by Tibsy, HELP ME!
Age: 24
Posts: 1,906
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

1) We saw a couple of new facets to Molly's personality in Deathly Hallows. Has your opinion of her changed?
I had always thought of Mrs. Weasley as a sweet mother who could sometimes be a little hot-headed, but yes, my opinion of her changed. I think she is a great witch now who definitely cares for her family more than she cares about anything else.

2) Molly had that unforgettable line where she confronted Bellatrix. We saw that she was a very skilled fighter. Have we seen flashes of this passion in her before?
Not really, so this was kind of a brand new side of Molly.

3) Does Molly put Ginny before her other children?
I think she loves them all equally, but considering that Ginny is her only daughter, I think she loves Ginny just a bit more than her other children.

4)Can you picture Molly as a doting Granmother to Ron and Hermionie's children and Harry and Ginny's?
What do you mean by doting? I can imagine her as a wonderful grandmother who spoils her grandchildren.


Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old January 10th, 2009, 11:35 pm
arithmancer's Avatar
arithmancer  Undisclosed.gif arithmancer is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5136 days
Location: The Hogwarts Boathouse
Posts: 7,938
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
What do you mean by doting? I can imagine her as a wonderful grandmother who spoils her grandchildren.
That's what doting means - it means she loves and spoils the grandkids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageThyme View Post
1) We saw a couple of new facets to Molly's personality in Deathly Hallows. Has your opinion of her changed?
No. I actually did not find myself surprised by anything Molly did in DH.

Quote:
2) Molly had that unforgettable line where she confronted Bellatrix. We saw that she was a very skilled fighter. Have we seen flashes of this passion in her before?
We never saw her fighting before. But we did have reason to suspect that she was a powerful witch. She's very handy with magic around the house, she has been able to handle the twins without anything burning down, etc., and she has a remarkably talented and successful bunch of kids. That had to come from somewhere...and to me Molly always seemed a more likely source than Arthur.

Quote:
3) Does Molly put Ginny before her other children?
Not in general, I would not say. Ginny did not have to wear hand-me-downs, but she had no older sisters to get them from. And I thought the fuss over her in DH was merely because she was underage - I believe Molly would have fussed the same way over Ron before he became an adult.

I don't have a daughter myself, but I am very close to my mother...so perhaps they understand certain things abotu one another that Molly does not share with the boys, but that's not the same as "putting Ginny before" the others.

Quote:
4)Can you picture Molly as a doting Granmother to Ron and Hermionie's children and Harry and Ginny's?
Of course!


__________________
The Sorting Hat says I belong in Slytherin.



“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.


Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.

Last edited by arithmancer; January 10th, 2009 at 11:41 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old January 12th, 2009, 5:45 am
Leslie33  Female.gif Leslie33 is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 5121 days
Location: Ontario Canada
Age: 48
Posts: 650
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

1) We saw a couple of new facets to Molly's personality in Deathly Hallows. Has your opinion of her changed? No, she's always had that firery temper, especially when it came to the safety of her Family. In fact, she climbed to the peak when she told Bellatrix off. It was completely from left-field and at first I had that "Did I read that correctly? Did she actuallyswear at her." It also gave me that "You go Girl!"

2) Molly had that unforgettable line where she confronted Bellatrix. We saw that she was a very skilled fighter. Have we seen flashes of this passion in her before? Yes, when Ginny was entranced by the Diary in COS. When the Twins "borrowed" their Father's car and she was frantic she didn't buy or accept any excuse or explanation.

3) Does Molly put Ginny before her other children? Yes, in some ways she does. Ginny is her only Daughter and happens to be the baby of the Family. I think these two things automatically make Molly coddle and favour Ginny. At the same time, it doesn't mean she doesn't love her Sons just as much and would be just as fierce and ready to fight to the death if they were injured.

4)Can you picture Molly as a doting Granmother to Ron and Hermionie's children and Harry and Ginny's? Absolutely. She'd be the most doting Grandmother those babies ever saw. I also picture her using any excuse to spend time with their Children.


__________________



I TRUST Severus Snape!!!!

Last edited by Leslie33; December 6th, 2010 at 3:09 am.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old January 14th, 2009, 3:11 am
Labrynth  Female.gif Labrynth is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 3896 days
Location: Lurking in the Burrow
Posts: 332
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Were we ever told anywhere that young Molly Prewett was in a specific house, or are we just left to assume it was Gryffindor?


__________________

Fan Fic: The Face in the Mirror Always happy to have Feedback
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old January 14th, 2009, 6:06 am
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4997 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Didn't Ron say in Ps/SS that both his parents were in Gryffindor? I think that is where we found out about Arthur too.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old January 14th, 2009, 8:54 am
TreacleTartlet  Female.gif TreacleTartlet is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5060 days
Posts: 2,036
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Didn't Ron say in Ps/SS that both his parents were in Gryffindor? I think that is where we found out about Arthur too.
Yep, that's right Ron does mention this in PS/SS. He says it in Chapter Six, 'The Journey From Platform Nine and Three Quarters'.

'What house are your brothers in? asked Harry.
'Gryffindor,' said Ron. Gloom seemed to be settling in on him again. 'Mum and Dad were in it too.'


Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old January 14th, 2009, 4:14 pm
Labrynth  Female.gif Labrynth is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 3896 days
Location: Lurking in the Burrow
Posts: 332
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

I thought I'd read it somewhere but couldn't remember where and I wanted to be sure Thanks.


__________________

Fan Fic: The Face in the Mirror Always happy to have Feedback
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old January 15th, 2009, 2:52 pm
Schlubalybub's Avatar
Schlubalybub  Female.gif Schlubalybub is offline
Suteki da ne
 
Joined: 5958 days
Location: North East Wales
Age: 33
Posts: 2,750
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie33 View Post
Does Molly put Ginny before her other children? Yes, in some ways she does. Ginny is her only Daughter and happens to be the baby of the Family. I think these two things automatically make Molly coddle and favour Ginny.
I don't think that Molly favours Ginny as such- she is more protective of her as she is the youngest and her only daughter, but I don't think that this makes Ginny her favourite child, she sees Ginny as someone who needs to be protected...this doesn't mean that she favours her though.


__________________
I don't need you to respect me, I respect me
I don't need you to love me, I love me
But I want you to know, you could know me
If you change your mind
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old January 17th, 2009, 4:07 am
Labrynth  Female.gif Labrynth is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 3896 days
Location: Lurking in the Burrow
Posts: 332
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

It's funny cause I always knew that Molly considered Harry a part of her family, but I didn't realize how strongly she really felt about it until I did the reread of the books. Very early on I think Harry was Ron's friend who didn't have anyone else so she sent him a sweater for Christmas, but I think by CoS, she did consider him one of hers. After all they were in agreement he needed to be rescued one way or another from the Dursley's. It's funny how things you read the first time around, even tho the registered, really mean so much more once you know what's going to happen.

Something else I really took note of, is that in OotP Harry is worried that Molly won't consider him one of her sons any longer if he gets booted from Hogwarts.


__________________

Fan Fic: The Face in the Mirror Always happy to have Feedback

Last edited by Labrynth; January 18th, 2009 at 12:28 am.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Bookmarks

Tags
character analysis, molly weasley


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 7:47 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.