Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Horace Slughorn: Character Analysis

Old July 13th, 2007, 12:02 am
Unspeakable

Horace Slughorn: Character Analysis

Welcome to the post-DH discussion of Horace Slughorn. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here: Horace Slughorn: Character Analysis

1. Slughorn surrounds himself with select students and helps them get ahead in exchange for favor both in schoold and beyond. Does he feel genuine affection for these students of is he just using them to flatter his own ego.

2. Slughorn refuses to join both the Death Eaters and the Order. Why do you think he refuses to side with either group? Why do you think he chose to live on the run before deciding to work at Hogwarts?

3. Did Slughorn know what he was doing when he told Riddle about the horcruxes? Did he realize later when Riddle became Voldemort?

4. Is Slughorn a good person? A bad person?

5. Why do you think Slughorn returned to Hogwarts after HBP? Why do you think he stayed after Snape took over?

6. What do you think of Slughorn's decision to fight in the final battle?

Last edited by Jessica; July 23rd, 2007 at 8:57 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:16 pm
First Year

Re: Horace Slughorn: Character Analysis

2. Slughorn refuses to join both the Death Eaters and the Order. Why do you think he refuses to side with either group? Why do you think he chose to live on the run before deciding to work at Hogwarts?

I think that he didn't want to be involved at all so he chose not to take a side.

3. Did Slughorn know what he was doing when he told Riddle about the horcruxes? Did he realize later when Riddle became Voldemort?

I do not think that he knew what he was doing (mabey a momentary laps in judgment)

I believe that he is a good person

5. Why do you think Slughorn returned to Hogwarts after HBP? Why do you think he stayed after Snape took over?

If he had left it might have given the impression that he didn't want to be around unless albus was there to controll snape. He could also have stayed to help protect the students from the death eaters.

well if i'm not misstaken in chapter 36 The Flaw In The Plan page 588paragraph 3 it says "... and Harry saw Charlie Weasley over taking Horace Slughorn, how was still in his emeraled pyjama's." that would mean that he had choosen to fight with Voldemort and against the Order. but on the next page, 589 paragraph 4, "Voldemort was now duelling McGonagall, Slughorn and Kingsley all at once," So I was a bit confused. He was bad then good again. i don't really know what that was about but he choose the right side in the end and thats all that counts really.

*Riddikulus Girl*
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:46 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Riddikulus_ View Post

well if i'm not misstaken in chapter 36 The Flaw In The Plan page 588paragraph 3 it says "... and Harry saw Charlie Weasley over taking Horace Slughorn, how was still in his emeraled pyjama's." that would mean that he had choosen to fight with Voldemort and against the Order. but on the next page, 589 paragraph 4, "Voldemort was now duelling McGonagall, Slughorn and Kingsley all at once," So I was a bit confused. He was bad then good again. i don't really know what that was about but he choose the right side in the end and thats all that counts really.
JKR says here that Slughorn and Charlie "have returned at the head of what looked like the families and friends of every Hogwarts student who had remained to fight, along with the shopkeepers and homeowners of Hogsmeade." So Slughorn and Charlie have recruited reinforcements to defend Hogwarts against the DE, and Charlie is overtaking Slughorn on the stairs because Charlie the dragon-keeper is young and fit, and "old Sluggy" isn't.

1. Slughorn surrounds himself with select students and helps them get ahead in exchange for favor both in school and beyond. Does he feel genuine affection for these students or is he just using them to flatter his own ego?

I think that both of these are true. Slughorn clearly felt real affection for Lily. After Aragog's burial in HBP, Harry appealed to Slughorn to help him because of Lily, saying "be brave like my mother" asks him to help "get rid of the wizard who killed Lily Evans." I also think it's telling that after Slughorn hears that Snape killed Dumbledore, he's shocked, saying "Snape! I taught him! I thought I knew him!" Slughorn enjoys the things his former students can do for him, but I think he also truly believes that being their teacher gives him a special relationship with them. He may not be the best teacher at Hogwarts, but he takes the job seriously and is proud of it. Slughorn seemed like a familiar "type" of teacher to me--the professor who will toss back a few with his a select group of his favorite pupils and will be politely encouraging to the rest. There's certainly some self-flattery there, "basking in the reflected glory," but I couldn't help liking a guy with such a benign lack of shame in showing favoritism.

I think that Slughorn refused to take sides until the very end because he was hoping to stay out of things--he likes his comfy armchairs and crystallized pineapple, and didn't want to leave them to join a war. I think that he lived on the run for the year before HBP because he was afraid of being recruited by the DE--he knew he didn't want to join them, but he was afraid of making enemies of them. I think he suspected that Voldemort had made seven horcruxes (see #3 below), so unlike Lucius Malfoy, say, he knew he would be dealing with someone with only a fraction of a human soul--very scary stuff.

No and yes, in that order. All the more reason for him to fear Voldything!

Well, like most of us, he's neither--it's all about the choices we make, right? His decision to fight against the DE instead of running away at the end was definitely a good choice, though.

Maybe he realized he liked living at Hogwarts better than being on the run and in hiding--Hogwarts meant a bed to sleep in and someone else to get food and make decisions, as Harry noted when he was hiding in the woods. Maybe some small part of him--the part that gave Harry the memory in HBP and that fought the DE at the end--felt like it was his duty to stay there for the students. I'd like to think that he stayed partly because he thought his students needed him--and that was probably good for his ego, anyway!

He would certainly never make the sacrifices Dumbledore makes for his students, but when it comes time to decide his loyalty, Slughorn defends Hogwarts against Voldemort (although I have to admit, leaving to recruit reinforcements does take him out of direct action for a little while, and I don't think that's a coincidence...but he does come back and fight). I really wondered before DH which side Slughorn would choose (and I felt like he would definitely have to choose a side), and I was very pleased with his decision--particularly in light of the fact that he's a Slytherin. I didn't want all of the Slytherins to be bad! I like the idea that you always have a choice about the path your life will take, even when you're a "broken-down old buffer" like Slughorn.

Old July 25th, 2007, 12:54 am
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.

I was disapointed by his actions in DH. We only see him in the last few chapters, but he seems cowardly. I was really surprised the he survived.

Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.

Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.
Old July 25th, 2007, 2:35 am
First Year

Slughorn was one of the three people (also McGonagall and Kingsley) fighting Riddle at the very end, so I'd say he's hardly a coward. I think he just takes a little persuading before he can gather his courage. That's been the case ever since we met him in the beginning of HBP and Dumbledore had to bring Harry along to convince him to teach.

Old July 25th, 2007, 3:27 pm
Second Year

1. Slughorn surrounds himself with select students and helps them get ahead in exchange for favor both in schoold and beyond. Does he feel genuine affection for these students of is he just using them to flatter his own ego?

I think it is both, he helps them, they help him. He might like them for themselves a bit, too.

I think he finds it too dangerous to put himself in the front lines, he treasures his life, and by choosing to be in either, he is putting himself in danger.

I don't think he realized what Riddle was getting at; that he wanted to be immortal. I think he just saw Tom as someone hardworking, and brilliant. I think he realized when Tom became Voldemort, why else would he change the memory?

I think he's a good person, with flaws.

I think he returned because he had to; in the light of Albus's death, they couldn't spare another teacher to be replaced by DEs. I think he stayed to help protect the students and himself.

I think that was couragous of him, to align himself with someone, which he hates/fears doing. He probably knew he couldn't desert the students or teachers, and fought well.

Old July 25th, 2007, 4:12 pm
First Year

I agree that Slughorn is basically a good person but he needs persuading. Remember he wakes up in the middle of the night after McGonagell has dueled with the headmaster and learns that Snape has jumped out the tower through the fall and fled, Harry Potter is back, and Voldemort and his army is coming to Hogwarts. That's got to put a shock into him. But after he realizes the stakes, he uses his connections to round up shopkeepers and is the *only* Slytherin to stay and fight against Voldemort.

Old July 26th, 2007, 6:02 pm
First Year

Professor Slughorn?

After Slughorn's huge role in HBP I wasn't expecting him to be almost completely abscent in DH. Much of the analysis on this board put him as an extremely talented potion maker and Occlumens, and the only living professor that taught Voldemort. He could have helped Harry is figuring out where in Hogwarts Riddle would have stashed the diadem.

Thoughts?

Old July 27th, 2007, 4:34 pm
First Year

Re: Professor Slughorn?

Personally, I was very proud of old Horace in this one. I mean I expect Mcgonagal and Kingsley to try fighting Voldemort, but not a man who was previously scared to use his name. That took considerable guts (insert your own joke here) and he certainly deserves a box of crystalised pineapple for it.

Old July 27th, 2007, 4:35 pm
Lycanthrope

I was mostly impressed because he fought the entire battle in pajamas.

Old July 27th, 2007, 4:48 pm
Fourth Year

I was proud of him too, because my first impression was that he was going to give some excuse to do something else. But I knew that he was a good man so proud of his job as a teatcher and of some of his students that he could not leave then at that moment. I also spent some time imagining his figure out of bed in pajamas preparing himself for a great fight. I don't know yet who is playing his part in the next movie (HBP), but I'm looking for to find out if my imagination is close to what they will bring us.

Old July 27th, 2007, 5:18 pm
Third Year

I thought it was a nice moment for old Sluggy to come charging in at the head of all the families, creatures, etc, and a good vindication moment for him to be dueling Voldemort.

As we didn't go back to Hogwarts until the end of the book however, I wasn't surprised how small his role was.

Old July 27th, 2007, 5:21 pm
First Year

For a few moments when DH mentions Slughorn, I was waiting for that moment when he reveals allegiance with Voldemort. That would have been interesting.

Old July 27th, 2007, 5:24 pm
Second Year

personally speaking, I was terribly disappointed...I really expected Slughorn to have a much major role than just in the final battle, fighting like any other teacher.
considering the fact that he was "wanted" by voldy and co. and he was one of the very few people who knew about voldemort's childhood and his horcruxes...one really expected him to play a very useful role in harry's quest for the horcruxes

Old July 27th, 2007, 6:01 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
I agree! That was just so very Slughorn. I wish he had played a greater role, but he fought Voldemort himself, and I was so proud of him.

Old July 27th, 2007, 6:21 pm
Second Year

Quote:
true! i hope he had some sturdy slippers on!

i can imagine the guy had lived through a tough year at Hogwarts too, i wouldn't have wanted to be head of Slytherin that year! and considering he's the type of guy who went on the run in the early stages of the war, props to him for staying at Hogwarts, esp since there was no Dumbledore.

Old July 27th, 2007, 6:43 pm
First Year

I was quite pleased with ole Sluggy in DH, and I don't think Harry was ever going to ask him for assistance, and assuming that we would is kind of silly. Harry was so bent on being secretive towards Dumbledore's word that he kept out everyone except Hermione and Ron. Everything he needed to know from Slughorn he saw in the Pensieve.

As for Sluggy taking on Voldemort: bravo, good sir! Bravo!

Old July 27th, 2007, 6:57 pm
Secret Keeper

He was great, I never imagined Slughorn to stand up like that. We know that he was against Voldemort, and didn't like him, but he was scared, I didn't imagine him to fight like that. Slughorn definitely deserves a box of crystalized pineapple. It was amazing how he fought the entire battle in pajamas, I imagined him to take some time to at least put on robes.

Go Slughorn!

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old July 27th, 2007, 7:05 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Yeah, I bet ol'Slughorn was a sight, hehe. Anyway, I was proud that he fought against Voldemort. I couldn't help but like him since HBP even though he did cozy up to those who had good connections. His personality was so refreshing for someone who was over Slytherin House.

Pottermore Profile:
OwlPurple114
House: Ravenclaw
Wand Specifics: 12 1/4 in...Cedar...Phoenix Feather...Unbending

Proud Member of the House of Ravenclaw
Old July 27th, 2007, 7:11 pm
Second Year

The majority of the book was centered around Ron Hermione and Harry so I wasn't surprised that many major characters did not have a big part, slughorn is just one of many that didn't receive at all that much attention.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies