Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Comments on: Admission to Hogsmeade

Old November 9th, 2009, 11:14 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

Re: Comments on: Admission to Hogsmeade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
The chocolate pool belongs to humour land. It's all very secret and complex.
*facepalm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
Why is very secret and complex? I am not very computer savvy, so if it's related to working on computers, I guess it would be complex. I don't mind relaxing, that's why I am here at the forum, I am relaxing.
It's nothing you need to worry about. Mostly, this is staff playing with their answers.

Or they just haven't let me near the chocolate pool yet. (I think it's mythical, but then again, they could be hoarding it for themselves...)

In any case, it has no bearing on anything to do with Hogsmeade admittance.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2009, 4:27 am
Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
I think you are doing your best when recruiting members into Hogsmeade, but here is some critism. I noticed that a guy with around 800 posts isn't a Hogsmeade member, which makes me wondering if it's a place for special selected people or people with arguments that you selectors agree with. I know there are other factors that count too, like substance in the posts etc, but many people have lots of clever posts (much more than 300) and they are still not in Hogsmeade. And no, I am not one of those yet.
Hi Noldus,

To get back the the original question we do our absolute best to get deserving members in as quickly as possible. That said, we're not perfect, some of us have actual lives (not me I have grad school instead) and a lot of the time someone doesn't get in right at 300 just because the process takes longer than it should have. So please don't take it personally, you could be doing everything right.

That said, you can always owl any member of staff (except I don't recommend Morgoth or lanifiel) and ask if there's anything you need to improve. Most of us are pretty happy to throw you some pointers if there's something you should be working on.

Finally on the 800 post members, I can't talk about individual cases but sometimes there's more than meets the eye - warnings, duplicate accounts, or the person stopped being active and has only recently come back.

We do our best, but we're not perfect and if you've got someone in mind you can owl a staff member. We won't tell you why/why not they're in Hogsmeade but we'll listen to the suggestion and take it under consideration.

Old November 18th, 2009, 12:15 am
Gryffindor's Smiley Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
One qualifying area is all fine, for particular if you're an mostly active member anyway.

The avatar rule was invented before I even became a member here, but I think it's indeed some extra privilege since Hogsmeade mostly just is a new area of the forums. Mostly... I think the chocolate pool actually is some nice place, too, which we don't have on the main board...
Gertie! We aren't supposed to discuss what is in Hogsmeade with non-Hogsmeade members. For that, you are just going to have to give yourself a demerit and ban yourself from Hogsmeade...and the chocolate pool.

Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many—not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.—Charles Dickens

Proud Gryffindor!
Liberals want big government to ensure they don't fail; conservatives want small government so they can succeed.
Davy Crockett learned a valuable lesson our current congress should learn.

Old March 4th, 2010, 6:05 am
Fourth Year

I just wanted to inquire about signature warnings; I am incredibly non-tech-savvy, and I swear I shall never understand how to look at a string of numbers and multiplication signs and know how large an image is, or which image names designate images that count as images and which ones don't.... I'm confusing even myself here. To make a long story short, during my time at CoS I've received quite a frightening amount of warnings asking me to edit my signature, because of to many/too large pictures, too large .gif files (how do you know how big a .gif file is anyway, and does it count as an image or something else?) .... However, my warn-percentage thing doesn't look like those have been counted against me, so will they count as warnings when/if I'm considered for Hogsmeade? Thanks!

I cordially dislike Severus Snape.
Old March 4th, 2010, 6:23 am
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Those informal sig warnings do not count against you. Unless you do it again often enough to get a warning point. And warning points don't count against you either unless they are very many or given very recently.

I can't find more than one informal sig warning registered in your name. If you have gotten those owls from non staff members just consider them friendly advise and don't worry.

Anything that is not text produced directly with your keyboard or a smilie from our smilie list is an image. Smilies from external sources count as images.

ETA: Sorry I forgot a part of your question.

To check dimensions in pixels and file size in KB, right click the image and then click properties.

Last edited by Alastor; March 4th, 2010 at 6:31 am.
Old March 4th, 2010, 4:02 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
Anything that is not text produced directly with your keyboard or a smilie from our smilie list is an image. Smilies from external sources count as images.

To check dimensions in pixels and file size in KB, right click the image and then click properties.
Yayy, okay, that cleared things up a lot. Thanks!

I cordially dislike Severus Snape.
Old April 16th, 2010, 3:54 am
Third Year

Hi.

I feel like the oldest-registered member here who isn't in Hogsmeade...can you help me out by just giving me the benefit of the doubt

Ok it might have something to do with the fact that I haven't posted in forever. I hope to start posting again and maybe things will happen. By the way, this place rocks.

edit: also, just to give you a sense of my old age...I fondly remember July 18, 2005 when there were the most members ever online at once. I was happy to be a part of such exciting times.

Last edited by natemac; April 16th, 2010 at 3:58 am.
Old April 16th, 2010, 4:28 am
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Inactivity actually is a reason for not getting admission.

If you post regularly and meet all other criteria there shouldn't be a problem.

Old October 2nd, 2010, 7:26 pm
Fifth Year

Hm... Just to get things straight with my post count, does the post count to the top-left of this post mean my post count in the qualifying areas, or my overall post count? When I first joined these forums, I spent a fair amount of time living in the "Quidditch Pitch" which isn't a qualifying area. I'm not sure if those posts add towards my post count, so I'm not sure if I qualify or not. I'd just like to get a general gauge of where I am.

Old October 2nd, 2010, 7:38 pm
Eldest Gruff

It was quite complicated in the past, but by now your post count raises only when posting in the qualifying areas, so you have 320 posts there.

Posting in QP doesn't count against you when it comes to Hogsmeade permission (in fact it rather shows us that you enjoy the forums what's always a plus), but it's likely people aren't accepted instantly when they've reached 300 posts. I, as example, had around 800 posts when I got in. (Admitted back then the HP discussion was way more active).

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 7:46 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
It was quite complicated in the past, but by now your post count raises only when posting in the qualifying areas, so you have 320 posts there.

Posting in QP doesn't count against you when it comes to Hogsmeade permission (in fact it rather shows us that you enjoy the forums what's always a plus), but it's likely people aren't accepted instantly when they've reached 300 posts. I, as example, had around 800 posts when I got in. (Admitted back then the HP discussion was way more active).
Thanks so much for clearing that up! I wasn't entirely sure what my "true" post count was.

I don't really post there anymore, anyhow. I have been a member of this forum for over one and a half years, but I wasn't really active until Deathly Hallows really started to heat up. Now I post entirely in qualifying areas, which I'm quite fond of nowadays.

Thanks again for answering - and much more promptly than I had been expecting, too!

Old October 2nd, 2010, 8:16 pm
Eldest Gruff

You're welcome.

Harry Dresden.
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:28 am
Fifth Year

Hi! I'm just wondering how members know they've been accepted into Hogsmeade- do they get an Owl or some other form of notification?

Old October 13th, 2010, 12:12 pm
Eldest Gruff

Permitted members get an owl by one of the Admins.

Harry Dresden.
Old October 13th, 2010, 1:07 pm
Fifth Year

Thank you!

Old February 10th, 2011, 2:06 pm
First Year

excuse me i just wanted to know how we can reach at least 300 posts and how we do it if we can't talk in the Hogsmeade section? where can i post messages?

thank you

Last edited by EloRadcliffe; February 10th, 2011 at 2:08 pm.
Old February 10th, 2011, 2:13 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

If you want to reach 300 posts and be eligible for Hogsmeade access you need to post in the Qualifying Areas. For the record you don't have to post in all of them. These are the areas below:

Harry Potter

* The Stone
* Legilimency Studies
* The Cloak
* The Pensieve
* The Wand
* Muggle Studies
* Flourish and Blotts
* Magical Masterpieces
* Hogwarts Archive
* Post DH Reference Books

Diagon Alley

* In Cinemas & General Movie discussion
* Television
* Music (Entertainment)
* Anime

Off Topic

* Department of International Magical Cooperation
* Office of Science & Nature
* Office of Culture
* Office of the Spirit Division
* Office of the Muggle History Division

The Writing on the Wall

* Fiction
* Writer's Corner
* Novella

Be aware that we expect members to have posts of substance and not merely posts with little to no content.

More information can be found here:
Hogsmeade Review Guidelines

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer

Last edited by Hes; February 10th, 2011 at 2:25 pm.
Old November 10th, 2011, 12:18 pm
Sixth Year

I have a question. I have been away for a few years (college and all that fun stuff took away some of my time!) But I am back now and intend on being very active again. I was just wondering how often older members are brought up for consideration?

I see that I have well over the amount of posts necessary, although that doesn't really matter to me I just enjoy posting and sharing ideas with everyone.

I did receive one warning in the past for being too sarcastic in a serious discussion but I dont think that should count against me because it was years ago.

Old November 10th, 2011, 12:35 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Wise View Post
I have a question. I have been away for a few years (college and all that fun stuff took away some of my time!) But I am back now and intend on being very active again. I was just wondering how often older members are brought up for consideration?

I see that I have well over the amount of posts necessary, although that doesn't really matter to me I just enjoy posting and sharing ideas with everyone.

I did receive one warning in the past for being too sarcastic in a serious discussion but I dont think that should count against me because it was years ago.
It really depends on how active you are. If you show to us that you are back in action and committed to spend time and effort on your posts you will be noticed by us.

Warnings do count but that really depends on how long ago it was and if we see an obvious improvement. So be on your best behavior and everything should be fine

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old December 26th, 2012, 2:01 pm
Eldest Gruff

We made a little change in our Hogsmeade admission rules. From today on it's possible to get the Hogsmeade owl when at least 200 posts have been reached.

It's still likely that a member needs more posts to actually receive the admission owl, but we want to take in account that this HP forum doesn't offer discussions any more which are as active as they were in the past. Still... happy posting, and also Merry Christmas / Great Holidays!

Harry Dresden.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services