Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime

The Secret World of Arrietty

Old April 17th, 2012, 6:32 am
First Year

The Secret World of Arrietty

Has anyone else here seen The Secret World of Arrietty? I was surprised that they actually played it in theaters in my town since anime movies almost never get played over here but my mother and I got to see it in theaters for my birthday. It was my first time watching an anime movie in theaters and it was the first anime movie my mother had ever seen and it was an incredible experience. We both really enjoyed it and now I've turned my mother into a Studio Ghibli fan. I recently showed her Howl's Moving Castle and she really liked that movie too and I'm working on showing her the other Studio Ghibli movies I have. We're both really looking forward to The Secret World of Arrietty being released on DVD and I plan on getting the DVD as soon as it comes out.

Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2012, 5:06 pm
First Year

Re: The Secret World of Arrietty

I loved the Secret World of Arrietty! I saw it in theaters when it came out and I plan on buying the DVD (which came out the 22nd of May in the U.S.). Most people I know say that they thought the English dub was bad but personally I thought it was great; Bridgett was especially good as Arrietty. Overall Arrietty isn't my most favorite Ghibli movie but I enjoyed it more than Ponyo and a few others.

Old May 27th, 2012, 2:22 pm
Sixth Year

Not my favourite Ghibli film but I still enjoyed it, the scenery and attention to detail was wonderful. The trouble for me is that I was already so familiar with The Borrowers from the books and the old BBC TV series that it wasn't really magical and new to me in a way other Ghibli films have been, if that makes sense? But at least it didn't mess up the source material too much (like Tales of Earthsea did...)

Old May 30th, 2012, 7:24 am
First Year

I think what affected my enjoyment of Arrietty was the pacing and length of the film - attention to detail was wonderful, I always enjoy Studio Ghibli's artistic feats, but something about the pacing threw me ... It almost seemed anticlimactic for me, if that even makes sense. Did anyone else wonder how it was the borrowers, even though the people (aside from the crazy ol' lady) in favor of little people , were utterly paranoid of being seen? Its totally understandable, especially considering the delicate nature of borrowing without being seen, yet the whole feel seemed ... unmet. I don't know. I was actually waiting for the film to end, and when it did I was disappointed. Disappointed because you have the tension and conflict between giant and borrower, and it ends with his resolve to live ... but.

I don't know .. I don't know. I am certain if I focused more on it and actually refreshed my memory on their names I could articulate exactly why I disliked Arrietty or, rather, why it just ... didn't do it for me. I did still enjoy it, but even so. Eh.

Old June 9th, 2012, 5:18 am
First Year

For me it wasn't so much that I wanted the movie to hurry up and end but I felt like I wanted more of it. I think the biggest problem with the pacing is that it's too short. I think if they had another 30 min to the movie they would have more time to expand on the characters and the universe of the Borrowers. I especially wanted to see more of Spiller who I thought was funny but it felt like they barely scratched the surface with his character. I still enjoyed it a lot though and I think it's the best of the non-Miyazaki directed Ghibli films.

Old February 28th, 2015, 6:26 pm
Third Year

Ghibli's genius. I haven't seen all the studios work, but a number of their movies. The detail in shading and colour is amazing. The story is adorable too. Solid work to all involved. Love the movie. (Also loved their version of Howls moving castle - I liked the movie better than the book and I don't say that often) I'm not a fan of anime generally, but I do like what comes out of Ghibli.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime