Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime

Worst Anime Dubs

Old December 11th, 2007, 4:11 pm
Fourth Year

Worst Anime Dubs

I grew up on Anime Dubs because I live in America, but I think so far my least favorite dub has to either be Sailor Moon (the voices were horrid) or the first season of One Piece. The voices really didn't match well I don't think. I got used to them but I didn't like them.

Xauror-Slytherin_Alchamist09

Inspired Quill Ellion Tavian

House of Night Academy - There is a plot please read that first.

Play and Feed a Hungry Person -all seriousness...test your vocabulary skills 20 grains of rice per right question
Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2007, 4:05 am
Fourth Year

Re: Worst Anime Dubs!!!

sailor moon was fine for me... "tuxedo maaaask!" :O rofl loved that part... anyways

worst anime dub for me is NARUTO ... it is ear splittingly horrible... makes me want to cry in a corner

(apparently i cant laugh my bum off on this forum.... wow can some1 say pg-5...)

Old December 12th, 2007, 5:29 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
worst anime dub for me is NARUTO ... it is ear splittingly horrible... makes me want to cry in a corner
I watch it online so its still in Japanese (but with subtitles) but I saw an American dub on TV once (it used to be on early morning kids' tv but I think they took it off when they realised not all of it was suitable for under 8s ) and it was shocking. The translations are often wrong, the voices have no personality (especially Kakashi and Naruto I found... Gaara was pretty bad too) and its not funny. In the Japanese voice I find Kakashi pretty funny but all of his 'funny' bits in the American dub fall flat and are very lame.

I dont watch dubbed anime generally, its just not the same.

Old December 12th, 2007, 5:35 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
I watch it online so its still in Japanese (but with subtitles) but I saw an American dub on TV once (it used to be on early morning kids' tv but I think they took it off when they realised not all of it was suitable for under 8s ) and it was shocking. The translations are often wrong, the voices have no personality (especially Kakashi and Naruto I found... Gaara was pretty bad too) and its not funny. In the Japanese voice I find Kakashi pretty funny but all of his 'funny' bits in the American dub fall flat and are very lame.

I dont watch dubbed anime generally, its just not the same.
Yeah I first watched Naruto in the english version and then when it started getting good i watched as many episodes as youtube would let me, they were all in Japanese and I liked them a lot better than I do the Dub ones.

Play and Feed a Hungry Person -all seriousness...test your vocabulary skills 20 grains of rice per right question
Old December 12th, 2007, 5:50 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by godrics hollow View Post

Well, I won't say the whole dubbing is bad (though I don't know Japanese, so I never heard the original), the only part of Naruto I don't like is "Believe it!" Catchphrase

Old December 12th, 2007, 8:09 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by godrics hollow View Post
That's the very worst for me too. God, I can't stand Naruto's English voice.

Old December 12th, 2007, 9:52 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
That's the very worst for me too. God, I can't stand Naruto's English voice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Well, I won't say the whole dubbing is bad (though I don't know Japanese, so I never heard the original), the only part of Naruto I don't like is "Believe it!" Catchphrase
The voice AND catch phrase of Naruto is so annoying! Why do they have to "American-ize" it with a catch phrase?!? Like others, I watch the subbed version. It is much better!

Old December 13th, 2007, 1:44 am
She Who Walks Behind

German!Naruto sounds quite good.

I don't like English Bleach. I started to watch one episode dubbed and I knew after a few minutes why I adore it subbed.

I also like Furuba better in sub than dub. The voices fit better IMO.

The End of the Dream.
Old December 13th, 2007, 6:55 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

For me, "worst dubs" would be...

Naruto: I pretty much only dislike this for the voices, mainly, since I've never seen enough of the dub to see if they changed story plots or characters. I really really can't stand those voices, though. I can't put up with it at all. And Naruto's "believe it!" is annoying! I don't mind the "dattebayo" that Naruto uses in the original...Takeuchi Junko is a good voice actress in general and very energetic too (you should see the Hunter x Hunter musicals where the voice actors play the characters that they voice), but not for the dub.

Digimon Adventure 02: Ironic, another series where Takeuchi Junko does a voice for it, but never mind that. I hated the character changes for this series and unnecessary name changes. I also hated the character bashing that wasn't there for the original version. Daisuke's character was heavily bashed for the dub. The rumor was that the main dub writer didn't like his character much, and had the other characters make snide remarks or take potshots at him. When even the most polite of characters of the series take potshots at a character, you know something's wrong. Some of the voices were horrible too, like Wormmon. He sounded like a constipated old man. He's supposed to sound cute and adorable.

Sailor Moon: I've only seen seasons 1 and 2's dub all the way through, and I didn't mind it too much. Even the dub music was nice, and to be honest, I actually liked DiC's voice actresses for the girls. I hated the cuts made to the series though, especially the SMR movie. Unforgivable! They dropped one of the best Sailor Moon songs ever...Moon Revenge!!

Dragon Ball/Z/GT: In general, I felt that voice wise, this series was awful. Funimation's earlier version had too many cuts for it. And for DB's dub, Kuririn's pervertedness was close to nonexistent. lol I liked his perverted persona in the first series.

Fushigi Yuugi: OMG this is awful!! The voices are horrible, the acting is horrible...give me the original any day...even though the series in general is annoying.. lol With FY, you just want to stab your ears.

Bleach: Most of the voices for this series don't fit the characters, especially Hitsugaya. He's supposed to resemble like a 12-year-old kid. I like him for the original (especially since he's voiced by Paku Romi, who I love), but the dub has got to go. Hitsugaya was my favorite character too. The only character I don't have too much of a problem with dub voice wise is Ichigo.

That's about all I can think of right off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
In the original, Naruto's catch phrase is "dattebayo". At times, he adds it on to his sentences. I guess "believe it!" is as close as they can get to it.

Last edited by SSJ_Jup81; December 13th, 2007 at 6:59 am.
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:44 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
The voice AND catch phrase of Naruto is so annoying! Why do they have to "American-ize" it with a catch phrase?!? Like others, I watch the subbed version. It is much better!
Yeah thats very un-Naruto-ish.... well I didnt like that either.

Old December 13th, 2007, 8:16 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
Yeah thats very un-Naruto-ish.... well I didnt like that either.
Actually i8t isn't. For the original, Naruto does add "dattebayo" and "bayo" to most of his phrases. That's probably why it's done for the dub.

Old December 18th, 2007, 2:43 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
For me, "worst dubs" would be...

Fushigi Yuugi: OMG this is awful!! The voices are horrible, the acting is horrible...give me the original any day...even though the series in general is annoying.. lol With FY, you just want to stab your ears.
Yeah Fushigi Yuugi dub voices where a bit rough. I've watched the entire series in dub before I watched it in original Jap. And I loved the original jap version better , I can't say why though because it's been a while since I've watched it.

Old December 18th, 2007, 8:36 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
Oh God, I know! I only watched one episode in English but... *shudder*... As if Tamahome and Miaka's fondness for screaming out each other's name whenever they were in any kind of trouble wasn't enough...

As for Hellsing... don't start me. All I'll say is that those English accents were dangerously close to hate crime territory...

Old December 18th, 2007, 9:47 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Re: Worst Anime Dubs

I've never seen the dub of Hellsing, but at least the accents probably fit since the series does take place in England. In the original, the voice actors can't really pull that off.

Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:47 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Actually i8t isn't. For the original, Naruto does add "dattebayo" and "bayo" to most of his phrases. That's probably why it's done for the dub.
You're probably right, I dont understand Japanese so I really dont pay attention to him saying 'dattebayo' and 'bayo' (but notice 'bayo' more)as much as he probably does. I just notice it more in English.

Old January 13th, 2008, 2:15 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

The Sailor Moon dubs were horrible, the renaming bugged me (Molly? Melvin? Seriously!). And worse, they butchered the ending of Sailor Moon's first arc to make it completely different from what it was in the original (Japanese with subtitles) anime.

Old January 14th, 2008, 7:24 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelite View Post

As for Hellsing... don't start me. All I'll say is that those English accents were dangerously close to hate crime territory...

xD I have the Hellsing English dub on DVD and it's hillarious.

The Japanese version was so mysterious and Anderson did sound Scottish but in the English Dub they all seem misplaced and Anderson sounds like he wants to be an Irish Scot or something. xD Seras Victoria is god awful. If I heard any other Brits speaking like that i'd think they were taking the mickey.

Snape
"I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death — if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."
Image: http://hettie-young.deviantart.com/g...craps#/d2wqhyt
by me.
Old January 14th, 2008, 7:41 pm
Second Year

I'd say Inuyasha. I don't actually watch the show, but I've caught enough of it to know it makes me want to rip my ears off.

Old March 26th, 2008, 7:58 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidPop View Post
I'd say Inuyasha. I don't actually watch the show, but I've caught enough of it to know it makes me want to rip my ears off.
I actually like the InuYasha dub myself. Everybody's different!

I just watched Chrono Crusade for the first time and the dubbing was terrible! I didn't even get to know the characters and could tell the voices didn't match them plus they were annoying. Using AcidPop's words, it made me "want to rip my ears off." I'm watching the remaining episodes subbed.

Old March 27th, 2008, 10:33 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis_Fowl_2 View Post
I actually like the InuYasha dub myself. Everybody's different!
Same here, I liked a lot of the VAs in Inuyasha ^_^;

Now I usually don't mind dubs, but what really grates my soul is the Gravitation dub. It's such an energetic show with energetic and lovable characters and what do we get? Dull, boring, hardly-can-act sounding VA's! Their delivery is forced and unbelievable and then some of them just don't fit their characters at ALL (I'm looking at you, ASK members!). There were a few gems (Ryuichi at times, Hiro, Sakano, and Tohma) but for the most part... so disappointing.

You kinda get use to it if you watch more than one episode at a time, but the minute you stop and pick it back up you notice it once again.

You've got to make the effort, and love every moment of it
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime