Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime

How did you get into anime?

Old June 21st, 2008, 10:02 am
Second Year

Re: How did you get into anime?

In college, I had an Asian roommate, who loved anime. I was a casual watcher of Dragonball Z, Trigun, and Lupin the 3rd before that, but he got me hooked on Rurouni Kenshin in particular, as well as Samurai Champloo and One Piece. The next year, I discovered Naruto.

Conservatives want to be your daddy, telling you what to do and what not to do. Liberals want to be your mommy, feeding you, tucking you in, and wiping your nose. Libertarians want to treat you as an adult
Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2008, 10:12 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

I'm just bumping all kinds of threads in this subforum.

I have to say it was Sailor Moon when I was younger. Maybe about ten years ago now? My sister and I were hooked. We used to watch it every day after school until my mom got fed up, after which point we would be sneaky and set the timer on her VCR to record it in her bedroom while we did our chores with her downstairs.
After that I watched a bit of Dragonball and Dragonball Z, but then kind of went away from the for a while. When I was nineteen my husband had me watch Cowboy BeBop, and since then if I can get a hold of a series, I'll watch it.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old September 18th, 2008, 12:16 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Funny how many of us had Sailor Moon as our first intro to anime . That was more or less it for me, too- and then later in life I discovered IRC and haven't looked back since.

Old September 18th, 2008, 12:49 pm

I was so in love with that show! I used to watch the tapes, and I've still got some. I have been wanting to get the series so I can watch it in the original Japanese with no stuff cut out from it.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old September 18th, 2008, 1:22 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Ooh, the original Japanese series is fantastic- I could never get used to the English voices after I'd heard the Japanese voice cast .
I think Amazon should have what you're looking for, so good luck!
http://www.amazon.com/Bishoujo-Sensh...R28IIKDOVEC7SL

Old September 18th, 2008, 10:45 pm

Ack! It's on my list. I've actually got a couple of things I really really liked in line in front of it as far as purchasing goes. I found that I really absolutely fell in love with Elfen Lied when I watched it recently.
But it is true for most animes for me that once I hear it in Japanese I don't want a dubbed version.

Old December 25th, 2008, 4:20 pm
First Year

I got into anime because of Pokemon. First I got into the TV show then I got all the games on the GameBoy.

I was 11 when the Pokemon fad was at it's peak.

After that I got into other japanese RPG games which were similar to anime and also DBZ.

Didn't really watch much anime until Naruto came out a bit later on.

Old January 17th, 2009, 7:15 am
Sixth Year

It was Spirited Away that got me into Anime, after that I just tried to get my hands on anything anime. It was great. I love that stuff, and even now I'm always searching for something new. Plus I'm getting my friends into as well.

Omi-I see that Jack Spicer has not shown up to a battle that he is most likely to lose!
JS-Wrong again! I show up to all the Battles I'm most likely to lose!
Wuya-Do you even think before you speak!?!
Xiaolin Showdown
Old March 20th, 2009, 4:34 am
Second Year

I'm not really sure about the exact time...
I mean come on, Cartoon Network has a bunch of anime
and we don't even know it's anime until we really get stuck into a show.
I remember watching Toonami when I was six and I had no idea what was the difference between American and Japanese cartoons!! (until later)

So, I got into anime when I became a huge fan of Digimon...
I still wasn't a friki until I got stuck with Sailor Moon and then Naruto
followed by Kaleido Star.
After that I easily got freaked out by an anime
That's why I'm one of the main members of the Friki Maidens Club

Proud Member of Gryffindor
Old March 20th, 2009, 7:39 am
Third Year

Yeah I started with 4Kids and Pokémon in my younger days then came Yu-Gi-Oh until i got onto the hard stuff which started when a friend suggested Ruruoni Kenshin which I absolutely loved. Then another friend suggested Bleach and got to Naruto from there, both I love immensely.

Old March 20th, 2009, 10:44 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I was never "into anime" getting right down to it. I grew up with it without even knowing it. Thinking back, I watched a lot of Japanese animated stuff. Quite a few shows that Nickelodeon used to show back in the 80s were imported, dubbed over shows and I enjoyed them. I didn't even realize what anime (Japanimation, rather), until maybe the early 2000s.

Old June 18th, 2009, 12:34 am
First Year

Well I watched Pokémon and Tenchi In Tokyo as a kid, without knowing it was anime. But I started to really get in to it when I was around 13.
I was bored one day and seen an advert at the site of a website I was on for Naruto. I said I'd look it up and see what it was like, cause I had heard it being mentioned. Once I seen the first 10 episodes, I was hooked and I watched Naruto from when I woke up untill I went to sleep most days untill I caught up with where it was. Then when I had to wait for the new episdoes (this was before I discovered manga lol), I looked up different anime to keep me going and started watching Bleach, Death Note, FMA.. etc. And it led to the anime obsession I have today :P

Old June 24th, 2009, 12:31 am
First Year

My sister had gotten a box set of one of the Sailor Moon disks. It came with one disk and one of the books. When she moved out of the house she left it to me and I watched it and was like, "Omg! This is so cool!" I was about 7-8 at the time. And then I found that someone was dropping off copies of it to the old used bookstore my dad always went to, and it was a gold mine! 8D So I ended up with maybe 14 of the books(about half which my friend said she "lost"). Then I bought the entire series on dvd off of eBay! That took forever for me to earn, but I did! And then I started looking for more and more! And here I am today! Anime lover to the core and cosplayer to the world! ♥♥♥

http://media.photobucket.com/image/cute%20slytherin/dayday_mamac/slytherin_pride04.gif
Old June 24th, 2009, 11:09 am
Registered Animagus

Almost all of my friends at school were Asian and very much into anime/manga. I dismissed it as 'lame' for about three years Then I started hanging out in Boarders and thought I'd try reading something. The first manga I picked up was Death Note and I was hooked. Now about 6 years later I own hundreds of manga and about 100 anime DVDs

Old June 24th, 2009, 6:06 pm
First Year

My older sister--she heard about this Manga (japanese picture novel) from her friends called Fruits Basket... then she told me about it, and we started reading it together--and I fell in LOVE with it!! I'm still not finished the series, I'm waiting for the next translated volume to come out and I'm so excited!!
after reading that I found out it was made into an anime, but the anime sucks and Natsume Takaya-san made them cancel it XD disgraaace.... anyways then I started getting into InuYasha, FullMetal Alchemist (gwa!), Yami No Matsui (aka Descendents of Darkness), Code Geass (um yes the epicness threw me out of my chair a few times) Book of Friends (X3) Ouran High School Host Club---holy **** sorry i'm seriously not going to name everything I've seen that'll take forever...
anywyas, FRUITS BASKET
is still by far the most epic manga I have ever read, the creativity and story line is pure artistic genious and as you go further into the story you experience the transition through her artwork and how it evolves seriously its so amazing no one should go through life without reading it...
and anime--is my lover.
oh hills no, what would be epic is if Harry Potter was morphed into anime!!!
....i'd watch it.... *glances about*

Old June 25th, 2009, 4:32 am
Second Year

Oooooh theres so many that got me hooked

Some of them would have to be-
Dragon ball
Pokemon
Yigioh
Princsess monoke
Card captors
and the list goes on...

Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart

Old July 14th, 2009, 7:38 pm
First Year

Sailor Moon definitely got me interested as a little kid. Then along came Pokemon, and then Dragonball Z. I wasn't really as big a fan when I was younger, then I watched Princess Mononoke and I've been hooked ever since.

Old August 7th, 2009, 9:14 am
First Year

Doraemon & Yaiba for me when I was five. When I turned eight my uncle got me into CLAMP titles, manga translated into Mandarin which I did not understand at all and just stared at the 'pretty pictures' and the rest has all just been a big hazy blur. I'm still (very much) in love with BLEACH at the current moment and I really, really want everyone to read Dr. Slump (Akira Toriyama's masterpiece before Dragonball Z)! It's such a fantastic series, you're crazy enough to not read it.

That's why I'm talking to you.
You are one of the rare people who can
separate your observation from your preconception.
You see what is, where most people see what they expect.

Harry Potter Fanart
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:15 pm
First Year

First anime: Pokemon
First anime that got me into anime: Karin (Chibi Vampire)

Old August 19th, 2009, 4:21 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenMADuffy View Post
My sister had gotten a box set of one of the Sailor Moon disks. It came with one disk and one of the books. When she moved out of the house she left it to me and I watched it and was like, "Omg! This is so cool!" I was about 7-8 at the time. And then I found that someone was dropping off copies of it to the old used bookstore my dad always went to, and it was a gold mine! 8D So I ended up with maybe 14 of the books(about half which my friend said she "lost"). Then I bought the entire series on dvd off of eBay! That took forever for me to earn, but I did! And then I started looking for more and more! And here I am today! Anime lover to the core and cosplayer to the world! ♥♥♥
I want the the Sailormoon magna so bad. By the time I realized what Magna was it weas out of print. I was able to get a a couple of E-bay.

Well back to the topic like many it was Sailormoon. I was up one night and surfing the channel's and came across it on Cartoon network or toonami. Don't know which one it was at that time, I think I was catching it at midnight or something. I caught it when they find out who each other are and when Mina first comes.

Didn't know what it was at that time and then I watched the Sunday line-up of Pokemon and CardCaptor Sakura(forgot the dubbed name). Still didn't know what I watching.

Then I came across Dragonball Z one day and did more research and finally I knew what I was watching and been hooked ever since.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime