Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime

Cowboy Bebop

Old April 5th, 2008, 12:06 pm
Sixth Year

Cowboy Bebop

Now I know I'm not the only one on here who loves Bebop...

It is, in my opinion, the best anime out there. It's got a sweet combo of sci-fi, western and kickasp jazz music, with an awesome cast of characters to boot.

Hit me up with some discussion. Who your favourite characters are, what your favourite episode is, miscellaneous chat, et cetera.

Oh, and then there's the movie. One of the only films I can watch over and over without growing tired of it. There's a manga too but I've not read much.

Funny funny shape!

I'm no superman.
grarpirates
flickr
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:18 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Re: Cowboy Bebop

I really like Cowboy Bebop. It's one of my favorite series and it did have a great musical score. The creativity of Yoko Kanno at its best, imo.

The only thing that sucks, for me, is that I've never watched the series all the way through. I've seen most of it, but there are still some eps I never got the chance to watch. Even with the eps I have on DVD, all scattered.

I have:

Cowboy Bebop Remix, Vol. 1 (1998)
Cowboy Bebop Remix, Vol. 3 (1999)
Cowboy Bebop Remix, Vol. 4 (1999)

I'll collect the rest of it someday and just sit down and watch every episode in order. Oh, I also have Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door (the special edition version of the movie), but for some reason, I still can't bring myself to fully watch it. Probably because I don't feel worthy enough to since I still haven't seen the series in its entirety from beginning to end. I know, odd of me. Oh, and I have seen the final episodes. IMO, Faye seemed to like Spike.

My favorite character, out of the main four, was definitely Ed. She's hilarious. It would've been nice to get an OVA or something to show how they all turned out after the final episode. I would love to see how Ed would've turned out as an adult.

One of my favorite episodes, is the one where Spike and Jet were trying to find a Beta VCR to play a tape from the 20th century. I thought it was hilarious how Spike came back with a VHS and how frustrated he was. lol

Another is pretty much Ed's debut episode. I like how she brought the Bebop back down and made them take her with them. lol

I also really liked the episode Mushroom Samba. It's just too cute, Faye, Spike, and Jet's reactions to the mushrooms. Yay for minor (or major) drug usage references in an animated program. =P lol j/k Just thought it was funny how those three were Ed' Guinea Pigs.

OH!! I almost forgot about the ep with the Teddy Bomber! Now that was really funny!! He was trying so hard to be noticed, but Andy kept riding in on his horse, ******* Spike off. lol

Hmm, one more episode that really stood out for me, is the one where Ed was playing chess and how the bounty the others were in search of, was the old man she was playing.

I've never read the manga, just a sampler. I've always wanted to, though. I'll collect it someday, but right now, I'm collecting and reading Blackcat. It's kind of similar to CB in some ways, like how the main characters are Bounty Hunters...or "Sweepers" in this world's continuity.

Old April 5th, 2008, 10:53 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
I really like Cowboy Bebop. It's one of my favorite series and it did have a great musical score. The creativity of Yoko Kanno at its best, imo.

The only thing that sucks, for me, is that I've never watched the series all the way through. I've seen most of it, but there are still some eps I never got the chance to watch. Even with the eps I have on DVD, all scattered.

I have:

Cowboy Bebop Remix, Vol. 1 (1998)
Cowboy Bebop Remix, Vol. 3 (1999)
Cowboy Bebop Remix, Vol. 4 (1999)

I'll collect the rest of it someday and just sit down and watch every episode in order. Oh, I also have Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door (the special edition version of the movie), but for some reason, I still can't bring myself to fully watch it. Probably because I don't feel worthy enough to since I still haven't seen the series in its entirety from beginning to end. I know, odd of me. Oh, and I have seen the final episodes. IMO, Faye seemed to like Spike.

My favorite character, out of the main four, was definitely Ed. She's hilarious. It would've been nice to get an OVA or something to show how they all turned out after the final episode. I would love to see how Ed would've turned out as an adult.

One of my favorite episodes, is the one where Spike and Jet were trying to find a Beta VCR to play a tape from the 20th century. I thought it was hilarious how Spike came back with a VHS and how frustrated he was. lol

Another is pretty much Ed's debut episode. I like how she brought the Bebop back down and made them take her with them. lol

I also really liked the episode Mushroom Samba. It's just too cute, Faye, Spike, and Jet's reactions to the mushrooms. Yay for minor (or major) drug usage references in an animated program. =P lol j/k Just thought it was funny how those three were Ed' Guinea Pigs.

OH!! I almost forgot about the ep with the Teddy Bomber! Now that was really funny!! He was trying so hard to be noticed, but Andy kept riding in on his horse, ******* Spike off. lol

Hmm, one more episode that really stood out for me, is the one where Ed was playing chess and how the bounty the others were in search of, was the old man she was playing.

I've never read the manga, just a sampler. I've always wanted to, though. I'll collect it someday, but right now, I'm collecting and reading Blackcat. It's kind of similar to CB in some ways, like how the main characters are Bounty Hunters...or "Sweepers" in this world's continuity.
Oh man, yeah, you've gotta watch it in its entirety, siriusly. Also, watch KOHD. I saw that before I'd even seen the series, and it didn't make watching the series any less of an awesome experience.

Ed is the best. Ever. "Hello Mister spooky space monsterrrrr! Are you in there?" I dunno about the OVA idea. I think it might spoil it for me if she was any amount less crazy then as a kid. It took me ages to work out whether Ed was a boy or a girl XD

The soundtrack is definitely worth getting too.

Mushroom samba is one of my favourites. That and the one with the flying fridge. The last shot of that one's hiloorious!

I'm no superman.
grarpirates
flickr
Old May 2nd, 2008, 11:42 pm
She Who Walks Behind

It's been years I watched it. I definitely should watch it again. I don't remember anything about Vicious at all or about Julia

Ed is the best.

The End of the Dream.
Old May 6th, 2008, 8:35 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

Cowboy Beebop is excellent! I just bought the Cowboy Beebop Remix (the entire series) and the movie. You can get a good deal on the series box set these days and I think it is totally worth it because this anime is definitely worth rewatching.

Old June 19th, 2008, 6:13 pm
First Year

Very good, i like most of the main characters.
Good mixture of music, action and fun.

any sequels?

Old June 20th, 2008, 6:57 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadaver View Post
any sequels?
No. Didn't you see the final episode of the series? It'd be kind of tough to have a second season when,
Spoiler: show
the main character possibly dies

Old June 25th, 2008, 2:40 pm
Second Year

Favorite episode would have to be Jupiter Jazz. The story of Vicious setting up Gren-the music box-Faye's discovery of Gren's secret and Grens final send off, made my head spin. Never understood why Julia dated Vicious in the first place, she was so kind compared to his desires to take out the mob. Vicious was not in the movie but Victor mirrored him perfectly.The final episode could go either way, although with Spikes character and after Julia-it may be that straight forward.On the movies special features , Shinichiro Watanabe dispels any hope for future episodes . I loved the series and always hoped Hajime Yatate would do something featuring Ed and Ein. Is there a soundtrack CD available? The animation was incredible but the music made this series perfect.

Old June 25th, 2008, 7:58 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

Yes, the music is available. One sight where you can buy it is animenation.com, but there are many more. That was just the first one that came to mind.

Old June 26th, 2008, 2:01 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

How did I not know this thread existed?!? This is probably the best anime I have ever seen. I've only ever seen a few in their entirety, but this trumps everything.

Ed, of course, is the best character ever.

Mushroom Samba is amazing, and I absolutely love the movie. I'm going to have to think about more good ones. I definitely love this series, though. We've got some of the manga (I bought it for my husband while we were dating and before I had ever seen the show) but I haven't read it yet.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old June 26th, 2008, 11:32 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Adding on to the music thing, yes Cowboy Bebop has a lot of music released on cd for it. I'm not sure how much of it is available in the states, though, but it wouldn't surprise me if all of it was. I have pretty much all of it, but I still haven't gotten around to seeing it to literally buy it for myself. You can see where I'm going with this. ^^;;

Anyway, here's what I know of for Cowboy Bebop music...

Cowboy Bebop OST I
Cowboy Bebop OST II "No Disc"
Cowboy Bebop OST III "Blue"
Cowboy Bebop OST "FUTURE BLUES"
Cowboy Bebop CD Box (This is a 4-cd set)
Vitaminless
Cowboy Bebop Remixes "Music for Freelance"
Cowboy Bebop-Knockin' on Heaven's Door-
Cowboy Bebop: Future Blues OST

There's even a version of Tank! where Ed's the one singing it. It's pretty cute.

Old June 27th, 2008, 6:07 am

I believe my husband has a lot of the soundtrack to the show, as well. I'll have to go check...

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old June 27th, 2008, 5:28 pm
Second Year

Thanks for the titles SSJ- will have to check Borders and Suncoast Video, hopefully can order a copy ot two. Cartoon Network shows Bebop/Trinity randomly throughout the year on AdultSwim. The only problem is, they show it around 1 a.m. and the Anime networks( on demand) are limited.

Old June 27th, 2008, 6:00 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

You still have a Suncoast in your area? To be honest, I really really really wish I could find that Ronin Warriors boxset. I keep coming across bootlegs. Suncoast here had it, but I didn't have the money at the time, and bought the soundtracks to Princess Nine. I haven't seen the Ronin Warriors stuff since. Someday...

That aside, it wouldn't surprise me if Suncoast had at least the three OSTs from the show.

Old June 27th, 2008, 11:25 pm

Have you tried asking them to order it for you when it wasn't in stock?

Old June 28th, 2008, 3:32 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
Have you tried asking them to order it for you when it wasn't in stock?
That would be nice, if you're talking about Ronin Warriors, but the box set is out of print. It's rare to find now. It's been out of print for years. I wish Bandai would re-release it.

Old June 28th, 2008, 3:42 am

Oh. Bummer.

To make this post related, I was thinking of adding in my favorite scene, but I'm having trouble choosing.

You know what scene made me cry? When Spike and Jet see Ed's giant goodbye message and they just eat the eggs they had set aside for her and for Faye.

Old June 28th, 2008, 4:59 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I always wished that something could've developed between Faye and Spike, but not necessarily hook them up or anything. I just wish it would've been mutual, but I understand why Spike could never feel anything like that since he was still hung up over Julia.

That aside, one of my fav eps, aside from that mushroom one, was the one where Spike and Jet went through "heck" to find a VCR to play that tape that was delivered to them. I was laughing when they had a VHS player and it turned out they needed a Beta.

Out of all the characters of the show, the one I felt most sorry for was Faye. I mean, her entire past was wiped out for her. She has pretty much no memory of it and all that. Faye Valentine isn't even her real name, I don't think. She doesn't know her real name and was given that name I think.

After her, it would be Spike, given his past.

I just recently got all of the series on DVD (took long enough lol), I plan on watching it. ^_^

The only thing that does bite about the series, is that it's just too short. I wish they could've explored the characters' pasts more.

Old June 28th, 2008, 5:06 am

I want the to go back and give us more episodes. Like bounties they did catch or even some of the time when it was just Spike and Jet.

I was talking to my husband about this yesterday, and he actually brought up the VHS moment, too. That is a good episode. And it's sad when Faye is just staring at the screen, watching a young Faye as she has never known herself.

Old June 28th, 2008, 6:03 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I actually grow nostalgic with that episode. It reminds me of the Beta VCR and Beta tapes my folks have. We still have Betas...just no working Beta tape player anymore. As a matter of fact, I'm seeing an Indiana Jones Beta on the shelf next to me. My dad has some taped stuff too, like SNL from the earlier part of the 80s. Oh!! He even had some stuff taped from Nickelodeon!! Turkey TV and stuff was on it! And that music show Nickelodeon had in the mid 80s or about 1984! REM was the musical guest. lol I was like, "So cool!" Wish You Can't Do That On Television would've been on it someplace, but a commercial for it was on there since it was still new.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime