Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Little Questions Answered v.21

Old February 8th, 2014, 4:25 am
Renegade

Re: Little Questions Answered v.21

I don't know if Muffliato was powerful enough to cover the entire graveyard, but it's a good idea. I guess it would depend on how big it was. We probably got snatches of the type of spell it was in DH, when Hermione was casting the protective charms around their campsites.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2014, 7:33 pm
Fifth Year

Wasn't Muffliatio one of the spells Hermione used in her protective charms in DH?

Also, maybe I'm thinking too much of the movie, but I swear she walked around in a circle and repeated spells at various locations to make a ring. When they used Muffliato in class, they didn't need the protective ring. But when they needed to make a larger area, they had to walk around and create the boundary by repeating the incantations. So the DE could have done the same thing and created a ring, repeating spells

Ravenclaw on COS
Slytherin on Pottermore:
Yeah, that's about right!
HawthornAsphodel133
Old February 8th, 2014, 9:35 pm
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfan101 View Post
Wasn't Muffliatio one of the spells Hermione used in her protective charms in DH?

Also, maybe I'm thinking too much of the movie, but I swear she walked around in a circle and repeated spells at various locations to make a ring. When they used Muffliato in class, they didn't need the protective ring. But when they needed to make a larger area, they had to walk around and create the boundary by repeating the incantations. So the DE could have done the same thing and created a ring, repeating spells
Seems entirely reasonable to me. In the graveyard scene, however, Wormtail probably set the boundaries ahead of Harry's and Cedric's appearance. On the other hand, why did he end up heaving the cauldron to Riddle's gravestone? Unless it was hidden to prevent the boys from running away from the site.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old February 10th, 2014, 10:46 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
Seems entirely reasonable to me. In the graveyard scene, however, Wormtail probably set the boundaries ahead of Harry's and Cedric's appearance. On the other hand, why did he end up heaving the cauldron to Riddle's gravestone? Unless it was hidden to prevent the boys from running away from the site.
I'm guessing this. They needed to make sure the boys separated from the Cup (assuming they knew what would happen when they touched it again).

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old March 23rd, 2014, 1:52 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

I was wondering where Hagrid got hold of the leprechaun gold he used in his class about Nifflers ? I thought it vanishes over night ,does that mean that Hagrid had a Leprechaun staying with him at Hogwarts?

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old March 23rd, 2014, 3:02 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I wonder how the Irish team was able to use leprechauns as mascots. Aren't they hard to catch? or is that a Muggle story?

Old March 23rd, 2014, 6:16 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
I was wondering where Hagrid got hold of the leprechaun gold he used in his class about Nifflers ? I thought it vanishes over night ,does that mean that Hagrid had a Leprechaun staying with him at Hogwarts?
I thought the gold vanishes after a time, not overnight. Like in a few hours.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old April 21st, 2014, 10:32 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Do the Gryffindors take any classes with Ravenclaw?

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old April 22nd, 2014, 8:06 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
Do the Gryffindors take any classes with Ravenclaw?
I was going to say none until I remembered Professor Slughorn's N.E.W.T. potions class (pg.182, HBP trade pprbk ed.)

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998

Last edited by snapes_witch; April 22nd, 2014 at 7:48 pm.
Old May 18th, 2014, 6:43 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
I wonder how the Irish team was able to use leprechauns as mascots. Aren't they hard to catch? or is that a Muggle story?
Very good point, merrymarge. Maybe the leprechauns weren't even real ones. Meaning that they were a part of the spell that made the gold appear and disappear. If the real ones were really hard to catch that is.

But if they were real, then it probably took quite awhile for them to be able to catch and/or convince them to join.

#1 Rocky and Bullwinkle fan!!
Old May 28th, 2014, 8:26 pm
Second Year

Harry was a parselmouth why is that he never tried to communicate to the Basilisk, in COS???

"By all means continue destroying my possessions,Harry. I daresay I have too many."
Old May 28th, 2014, 11:31 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Phoenix89 View Post
Harry was a parselmouth why is that he never tried to communicate to the Basilisk, in COS???
I always thought it was because he believed "Diarymort" when he told him that the Basilisk would only obey him and not Harry.

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old May 29th, 2014, 3:44 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Phoenix89 View Post
I thought it is because Harry knew the Basilisk would only answer to the heir of Slytherin, who was Riddle.

Old May 29th, 2014, 5:04 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Didn't Tom tell the basilisk to ignore Harry?

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old May 30th, 2014, 6:38 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
Didn't Tom tell the basilisk to ignore Harry?
I think that was the movie. I'll look it up....

OK, in the book Riddle tells the basilisk to ignore the bird (Fawkes) and to kill Harry. But Harry never attempts to talk to the snake.

Old May 30th, 2014, 1:50 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post

OK, in the book Riddle tells the basilisk to ignore the bird (Fawkes) and to kill Harry. But Harry never attempts to talk to the snake.
Ack! I can't believe I fell victim to movie contamination!

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old June 4th, 2014, 4:02 am
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post

Nor in the film, in which the closest line is when Riddle tells Harry, "Parseltongue won't save you now, Potter, it only obeys me." This may be what BurrowGhoul is remembering, but I think it more likely that she's just misremembering Riddle telling the basilisk to "leave the bird" like you say. Or perhaps a combination: but I don't think you have to worry too much about being a victim of movie corruption, BG! I always felt that the film put in that line to clarify what a lot of fans would be wondering (i.e. the little question that prompted this discussion: why didn't Harry just tell the basilisk to back down?).

But I think an intimately linked and interesting question is what would have happened if Harry had tried to speak to the basilisk? After all, Harry has part of the Heir of Slytherin within him: would the basilisk discriminate between Harry's orders and Riddle's?

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old June 4th, 2014, 7:13 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
But I think an intimately linked and interesting question is what would have happened if Harry had tried to speak to the basilisk? After all, Harry has part of the Heir of Slytherin within him: would the basilisk discriminate between Harry's orders and Riddle's?
Interesting....although it is a matter of blood, it also would depend on how the snake identifies Slytherin's true heir....after all, Dumbledore could also speak and understand parseltongue, and there were probably a few rare others. So was it a spell on the basilisk put there by Salazar, or could the basilisk actually smell Salazar's blood? Although Ginny was able to open the Chamber while possessed by Riddle who didn't have a physical body containing Salazar's blood at the time. I'm going with the spell theory for now.

Old June 4th, 2014, 3:29 pm
Zonko's Employee

I don't think the Heir of Slytherin bit was significant to the basilisk, EXCEPT that parseltongue was a trait peculiar to that bloodline (as far as we know, Slytherin and Riddle may have been the only two parseltongues in wizarding history - apart from Harry's 'borrowed' ability - although it would be strange to have such a particular word for a skill that was so terribly uncommon). The basilisk was a monster of particular appeal to Slytherin because he alone, at the time, could speak to it. While parseltongue seems to be an inherited trait, there is nothing inherently special about the bloodline of Slytherin that would give some special power (other than parseltongue, which may or may not show up in all descendents, as the ability to curl one's tongue is a quirky genetic trait) - and this is best shown in Riddle's death, which Rowling makes a point of saying was ultimately as mundane and common as any other death (that is one of the things the lovie changed that most offended me - there was a big point to his corpse just collapsing there, rather than dissolving off into the ether - in the end, he was just a man, an evil, evil man, but just a man).

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Old June 4th, 2014, 4:56 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus Diggle View Post
this is best shown in Riddle's death, which Rowling makes a point of saying was ultimately as mundane and common as any other death (that is one of the things the movie changed that most offended me - there was a big point to his corpse just collapsing there, rather than dissolving off into the ether - in the end, he was just a man, an evil, evil man, but just a man).
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone