Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Little Questions Answered v.21

Old March 5th, 2015, 1:47 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Little Questions Answered v.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
It does bring up an interesting question, though: would a Homenum Revelio spell cast on an animal be enough to tell the caster if that animal is in an Animagus form? Or is a forced transformation the only way (like what Lupin and Sirius did for Peter in PoA)?
The Marauders Map showed the location of Animagus, tagged with their actual names, but I don't know that it showed actual animals of any kind. I think that would be an indication that magic exists that could spot the difference between an Animagi and a true animal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
That forced transformation spell is one I would love to know more about . I wonder if it was something regularly taught to wizards or something that the Order was taught by Dumbledore or maybe Moody.
I wonder if it was a spell taught to Arors during their three extra years of training ?
I think Lupin and Sirius took the trouble to learn the spell because they had a great interest in Animagi. The Marauders had each other to practice it on, whereas most people would only be able to learn the spell in theory. It would probably be a spell at least brought up in NEWT level Transfiguration, at any rate, though I like your idea that Aurors would be taught it during their training. There were not a lot of registered Animagi to worry about, but it makes sense to know how to deal with unregistered ones should they be encountered.

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
-- JK Rowling to Harry Potter fans at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, and James Potter to his son at the end of Deathly Hallows.
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2015, 8:42 am
Third Year

This isn't really an answerable question, but something that occurred to me earlier while reading Goblet of Fire. In the chapter where the Dark Mark is conjured, the trio run into Stan Shunpike and a few other boys chatting up some veela, and one of the boys says something like "no you aren't, you're a dishwasher at the Leaky Cauldron."

Why would a qualified wizard aspire to be a dishwasher? Aren't there spells that could do their jobs for them? Where do wizarding establishments hire their minimum-wage employees if everyone graduates Hogwarts qualified for better things (unless they fail literally every exam or something)?

Old March 12th, 2015, 8:31 pm
First Year

Perhaps it's like the Muggle World: many youngsters take entry-level jobs in retail or other services to earn some money while they attend some further education. But yes, bad grades might also be a factor.

Old March 12th, 2015, 8:46 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiggles View Post
This isn't really an answerable question, but something that occurred to me earlier while reading Goblet of Fire. In the chapter where the Dark Mark is conjured, the trio run into Stan Shunpike and a few other boys chatting up some veela, and one of the boys says something like "no you aren't, you're a dishwasher at the Leaky Cauldron."

Why would a qualified wizard aspire to be a dishwasher? Aren't there spells that could do their jobs for them? Where do wizarding establishments hire their minimum-wage employees if everyone graduates Hogwarts qualified for better things (unless they fail literally every exam or something)?
This could be just one guy trying to make another look bad so that the Veela would not choose them over him.

About grades and jobs, we know that some of the students were not as good at witchcraft as others were . So it is possible that not every wizard/witch can get good jobs after finishing school . Somebody has to do the manual jobs in a magical work place and they can't hire muggles so it has to be a wizard or witch.

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old March 16th, 2015, 8:37 pm

When Harry tells Prof. McGonagall that he was thinking of becoming an Auror as a career. She tells him that it takes three more years of study to become one.
I was wondering if that was all classroom study, or if it was more like an apprenticeship program ,where they work as an Auror trainee along with a qualified Auror ?
Any ideas ?

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old March 16th, 2015, 9:49 pm
Renegade

Quote:
When Harry tells Prof. McGonagall that he was thinking of becoming an Auror as a career. She tells him that it takes three more years of study to become one.
I was wondering if that was all classroom study, or if it was more like an apprenticeship program ,where they work as an Auror trainee along with a qualified Auror ?
Any ideas ?
I have a hunch it involves the classroom. If you think about it, they'll need to learn some dark arts as a part of their preparation to be deployed as aurors. I doubt the Ministry would leave that to chance, or as something they pick up in the field. Moreover, I would think that new aurors would be assigned to an experienced auror, or a team of aurors, on probationary status once he or she qualified after 3 years' study.

Just my two cents.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old March 17th, 2015, 12:02 am
Fifth Year

I figure it would be a bit of both, perhaps two years of classroom and one year of field work with experienced aurors.

I believe in a hill called Mount Calvary.
Old March 17th, 2015, 3:01 pm
Zonko's Employee

I would figure something like a police academy, followed by pairing a rookie up with an experienced auror. The academy may not take a full year, as they should have gotten most of the spells through Newt-level classes, but trainees would need to be checked out and given training to be able to use the right spell without hesitation in necessity, just as it takes training for cops to learn to use guns or other force appropriately. You would also need a more in-depth knowledge of wizarding law. Also, it seems that memory spells are a major part of auror work, when enforcing the secrecy laws, and it is unlikely they practice those much at Hogwarts, so there would be some training on those.

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Old March 17th, 2015, 9:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalguy View Post
I figure it would be a bit of both, perhaps two years of classroom and one year of field work with experienced aurors.
That is along the lines of what I thought it would be . We get very little from canon about the training .

Tonks tells us some things but not enough to pin it down.
I guess there could be a practicum of some sort that the trainee would do .
My best guess is there is a classroom set up somewhere in the MoM building for the training classes.

McGonagall did say that there hadn't been anyone taken into the Auror training program for three years, so I don't think there would be a dedicated school for training them at.

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old March 20th, 2015, 12:17 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

If Dumbledore had borrowed the cloak from Harry in HBP, could he have been the Master of Death? Although, I guess in a way, he was, he met death on his own terms.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old March 20th, 2015, 2:19 pm
Zonko's Employee

In the end, there is no other sense to being Master of Death than to be able to face it with courage, or at least acceptance. Both Dumbledore and Harry came to understand that. Having the objects did not give anyone some particular status, although it was fortuitous that Harry was the true master of the elder wand - but that was a wandlore status, not a Master of Death thing.

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Old March 20th, 2015, 2:35 pm
Sixth Year

Being "The Master of Death" doesn't mean anything, really. It's just a title given to someone who just understands that Death is an inevitability of life and there's no point trying to run from it.

Old March 26th, 2015, 8:38 am

If the thestrals live in the forbidden forest when they're not pulling the student wagons ,then how does Hagrid round them up each year for their pulling duties?

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old March 26th, 2015, 12:03 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Lays out fresh meat for them? They were drawn by the blood drops of Dumbledore's Army in #5.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old March 29th, 2015, 3:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
Lays out fresh meat for them? They were drawn by the blood drops of Dumbledore's Army in #5.
I guess it could be that simple . I just thought that it might have involved something more magical like a summoning spell of some kind.

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old March 29th, 2015, 9:59 am
First Year

I'm rereading HBP at the moment, and a couple of things have come to mind that I can't seem to explain to myself about the NEWT classes.

So Harry didn't apply to study potions because he didn't get the correct grade; he only got E when Snape asked for an O. So do we assume that everyone else in the class who DID apply after they got their OWL results got an O since they thought that was what was required? Those 4 ravenclaws, slytherins and ernie? None of them knew that the requirement had been reduced to an E when they applied, yet they bought the books and equipment, suggesting they were confident they'd get into the class where they required an O. I just can't imagine all those people getting an outstanding in their OWL! And they obviously hadn't applied at the last minute like Harry and Ron after finding out about the lowered grade requirement.

The second thing is, if slughorn was allowed to lower the grade requirement, surely Snape, being snape, would have put the DADA requirement up to an O? It doesn't make sense for him to only take outstanding students for potions, but lower his standards for DADA students.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Old March 29th, 2015, 5:33 pm
Sixth Year

ooerr,I think for the answer to your second question, it may be because the only one to get an Outstanding in DADA was Harry. While Fake Moody and Lupin were good teachers, the other three were not. Harry had taught a selection of students for about half a year, but that may have only been enough to get them up to EE's and A's.

Since Snape wasn't the previous teacher of DADA, he may have made exception for the students uneven schooling having led to low OWL grades-- plus Dumbledore may have insisted that as many students as possible get training in DADA, given the return of Voldemort.

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
-- JK Rowling to Harry Potter fans at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, and James Potter to his son at the end of Deathly Hallows.
Old March 30th, 2015, 12:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooerr View Post
So Harry didn't apply to study potions because he didn't get the correct grade; he only got E when Snape asked for an O. So do we assume that everyone else in the class who DID apply after they got their OWL results got an O since they thought that was what was required? Those 4 ravenclaws, slytherins and ernie? None of them knew that the requirement had been reduced to an E when they applied, yet they bought the books and equipment, suggesting they were confident they'd get into the class where they required an O. I just can't imagine all those people getting an outstanding in their OWL! And they obviously hadn't applied at the last minute like Harry and Ron after finding out about the lowered grade requirement.
We don't know what their marks were, but I think its safe to say that the Ravenclaws would not have had trouble getting high marks . Hufflepuffs and slytherins could have had good marks too. We know that Snape didn't like Gryffindors in general and Harry & Ron especially he hated them so they were always going to get bad marks .
Quote:
The second thing is, if slughorn was allowed to lower the grade requirement, surely Snape, being snape, would have put the DADA requirement up to an O? It doesn't make sense for him to only take outstanding students for potions, but lower his standards for DADA students.

Anyway, let me know what you think.
I disagree DADA was a required course at school ,I don't think anyone would have been denied the course , even if they had horrible marks in the course .

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old April 2nd, 2015, 3:46 am
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
If the thestrals live in the forbidden forest when they're not pulling the student wagons ,then how does Hagrid round them up each year for their pulling duties?
Quote:
I guess it could be that simple . I just thought that it might have involved something more magical like a summoning spell of some kind.
Burrowghoul has the right of it: when Hagrid introduces us to thestrals, he brings them in with meat and a call:
OotP, Ch. 21[...]Hagrid was carrying what looked like half a dead cow over his shoulder.
[...]
"Gather roun', gather roun'," Hagrid encouraged. "Now, they'll be attracted by the smell o' the meat but I'm goin' ter give 'em a call anyway, 'cause they'll like ter know it's me."

He turned, shook his shaggy head to get the hair out of his face and gave an odd, shrieking cry that echoed through the dark trees like the call of some monstrous bird.

In general, Care of Magical Creatures seems rather wands-off, if you ask me. Not that situations with magical creatures wouldn't necessarily require wands, but the approaches are much more hands-on (much like Herbology with magical plants).
Quote:
I'm rereading HBP at the moment, and a couple of things have come to mind that I can't seem to explain to myself about the NEWT classes.

I've always assumed all the students except Harry and Ron did achieve Outstanding O.W.L.s in Potions because, as you say, they were all prepared to take the course. Perhaps other heads of houses notified students they knew would want/need to take Potions (from career advising) but only achieved E's that they were able to take the course. This wasn't the case for McGonagall and Gryffindor, and the general reaction to the announcement of Slughorn as Potions master was one of shock - one would thing the word would have spread from those E students who could now take Potions that some change was happening. The other possibility I see is that those students were more motivated than Harry and Ron and, upon receiving E's, sent owls to Hogwarts to see if there was a way to take Potions. These seem unlikely, though, so I am left with my old assumption.

And with that, I don't find it all that implausible that 4 Slytherins, 4 Ravenclaws, a Hufflepuff, and Hermione achieved O's. Yes, that's almost half of the students of that year per Slytherin and Ravenclaw, but I think it shows that Snape taught many of his students well enough to succeed (including likely shortcuts/improvements on potions that the examiners might be impressed with, as they're deviations from the norm) and that there are academic-minded students at Hogwarts (shocking! ). We know Snape favored Slytherin house, and I expect that could have led to better results by Slytherin students in his class. That, and/or they learned well from his teaching style, were personally motivated, etc. We never saw Ravenclaws in Snape's class, but we can assume that they were academic-minded. An O fits Ernie's perfectionist attitude and work ethic, as does it with Hermione.

The question I find interesting is why more students didn't enroll in Potions after learning it accepted E students this year (unless they weren't notified. It's hard to believe, though, that so few students would need Potions for their career.)? As it were, Harry and Ron were the only apparent add-ons - why is that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooerr
I think this is more of an administrative decision. I expect Snape would have liked to raise the standard to Outstanding, but it would be unfair to the students who took the exams with the understanding that an "E" was acceptable to qualify for N.E.W.T. level. If that's the case, Slughorn could lower the standard - it could only help students and make the class more inclusive - but Snape couldn't raise the standard without unfairly rejecting students who were told an "E" would suffice (though I do make the assumption that an "E" would suffice: I wouldn't doubt if it was Dumbledore's policy that, for as long as the DADA professor alternated annually, an "E" would always qualify a student for N.E.W.T. level).
Quote:
I disagree DADA was a required course at school ,I don't think anyone would have been denied the course , even if they had horrible marks in the course .
I disagree. After fifth year, all courses became electives, designed so the student chose the courses relevant for his/her course of study. For instance, everyone was required to take Transfiguration through fifth year, but one had to get an "E" O.W.L. in order to take it afterwards (which is why Neville was denied). This is in contrast to the add-on electives in third year: students could choose new courses to take, but the core courses were still required (hence Harry's disappointment at not being able to drop Potions, and Ron's with DADA). Therefore, to take Snape's DADA in sixth year, the student had to qualify with (presumably) an "E" or higher.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old April 2nd, 2015, 6:35 am
Fourth Year

Hi everyone! So I'm doing a series re-read after a long LONG time. Currently on PoA and I'm wondering about something at the end.

Snape is absolutely convinced that Harry is responsible for the disappearance of Sirius and barges in to the Hospital Wing to check. Dumbledore and Fudge are trying to calm him down and then Dumbledore says, ďUnless you are suggesting that Harry and Hermione are able to be in two places at once, Iím afraid I donít see any point in troubling them further.Ē

However, Hermione has already told Harry that the teachers know about her Time Turner. They would have to. So why doesn't Snape realise that this is the solution?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone