Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime

Fruits Basket

Old January 22nd, 2006, 8:17 pm
Sixth Year

Fruits Basket

I have noticed to my dismay that there are no threads on these forums that discuss the wonderful, popular and endearing anime series Fruits Basket (first a highly popular manga). I decided that this needed fixing, and so here we have it: a thread for the chat about the anime, and what you like about it. General banter ahoy! I'll start the chat by gushing... Kyou is ten kinds of awesome and I'm currently experiencing neck ache from watching FB in bed .

So shoot!

I'm no superman.
grarpirates
flickr
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2006, 4:22 am
I trusted Severus Snape

Re: Fruits Basket

Wow, the old Furuba thread is gone...we had some cool stuff in there.

Just a reminder that Lani will toast this thread in hellfire if anyone blabs spoilers which have not yet been published in the USA. (We're up to Book 11, now!)

EDIT: I wonder if that's what happened to the original thread...

Last edited by Inkwolf; January 23rd, 2006 at 4:27 am.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 8:50 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonzo
Kyou is ten kinds of awesome and I'm currently experiencing neck ache from watching FB in bed .
I agree, Kyo rules! I haven't seen the anime, but I love the manga. My favourite characters are Kyo, Haru and Yuki [mostly Kyo, though] but I like Shigure and Momiji, Kisa, Hatori etc. Is anyone else slightly annoyed by Tohru? She doesn't seem to have any flaws apart from clumsiness, her excessive kindness is a little bit off-putting. She doesn't even protect herself when she's being insulted or when someone's hitting on her. I like her and everything, but wish she was a little bit less nice sometimes. I don't like that pushy little Hiro, either, and Akito is downright mean for what he did to Kisa and Hatori.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkwolf
Just a reminder that Lani will toast this thread in hellfire if anyone blabs spoilers which have not yet been published in the USA. (We're up to Book 11, now!)
Oh, wow, we're actually ahead in something for once! We're up to volume 13 now with the manga, but I've only read up to volume 9 so far.

I love Fruits Basket and desperately hope that somehow, they can break the curse so that they can all live a normal life, especially Kyo. He seems to have suffered the most. Oh, and by the way, does anyone know how many books there are going to be?

Quote:
Yeah, that's what Mirielle said in the Otaku thread, I searched for it earlier and it had disappeared. But now we have a new one [yay!].

"Don't get too friendly with him, though, Rosie. Granddad Weasley would never forgive you if you married a pure-blood."

Last edited by AmeliaPotter; January 23rd, 2006 at 8:56 am.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 11:12 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkwolf
Wow, the old Furuba thread is gone...we had some cool stuff in there.

No worries there, I've only seen the anime... I'm gonna have to get the manga now (more money ).

I think Tohru's clumsiness is funny, and I love one scene where she is spacing out, and the two guys are going to try and hit on her, and Kyo flips and punches the wall above her head.

I'm no superman.
grarpirates
flickr
Old January 23rd, 2006, 11:18 am
She Who Walks Behind

How many mangas are published at the moment? I thougt about to get them.

The End of the Dream.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 12:53 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENSHI
How many mangas are published at the moment? I thougt about to get them.
Well over here there's 13, but Inkwolf said there are 11 out in the States at the moment, so it appears that some places have more than others.

One of my favourite parts from the manga is when Kyo, Tohru, Yuki, Haru and Momiji go into a haunted house and Tohru gets so scared that she decides to close her eyes, but keeps bumping into things. Yuki and Kyo both offer their hand at the same time, which, naturally, triggers an argument between them. Then, while they're arguing, Momiji takes Tohru's hand and leads her through the house .

I basically love all the arguments between Kyo and Yuki where they argue over Tohru, it's so cute!

"Don't get too friendly with him, though, Rosie. Granddad Weasley would never forgive you if you married a pure-blood."
Old January 23rd, 2006, 12:56 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeliaPotter
Well over here there's 13, but Inkwolf said there are 11 out in the States at the moment, so it appears that some places have more than others.

One of my favourite parts from the manga is when Kyo, Tohru, Yuki, Haru and Momiji go into a haunted house and Tohru gets so scared that she decides to close her eyes, but keeps bumping into things. Yuki and Kyo both offer their hand at the same time, which, naturally, triggers an argument between them. Then, while they're arguing, Momiji takes Tohru's hand and leads her through the house .

I basically love all the arguments between Kyo and Yuki where they argue over Tohru, it's so cute!
Yeah, there is the whole love triangle possibility... I'd like to see Tohru with either Kyo or Yuki, but I guess it's been foreshadowed enough that she'll hook up with Yuki (NO SPOILERS PLEASE IF A PAIRING HAS HAPPENED ALREADY).

I'm no superman.
grarpirates
flickr
Old January 23rd, 2006, 1:10 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
OK where is here?

They usualy translate the American version. So I think that they should be at least at #10.

The End of the Dream.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 1:23 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Yeah, there is the whole love triangle possibility... I'd like to see Tohru with either Kyo or Yuki, but I guess it's been foreshadowed enough that she'll hook up with Yuki (NO SPOILERS PLEASE IF A PAIRING HAS HAPPENED ALREADY).
Yeah, I'd love to see her with Kyo more than anyone, but Yuki's fine with me. I love them both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENSHI
OK where is here?

They usualy translate the American version. So I think that they should be at least at #10
Sorry, here is Australia, and I guessed you weren't from around "here" [from reading the DoIMC Australia thread] so I didn't bother to write it. Sorry for confusing you .

Old January 23rd, 2006, 1:24 pm
First Year

Hey Amelia! Werent you in the Otaku thread? Heh.

Okay. I've only seen the anime so i'm not much help with the manga questions. I just wanna say that Yuki and Hatori are hott... LOL! Heh. I mean cuuute! And Shigure is hilarious!!!

Old January 23rd, 2006, 1:55 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by darling_azn

Okay. I've only seen the anime so i'm not much help with the manga questions. I just wanna say that Yuki and Hatori are hott... LOL! Heh. I mean cuuute! And Shigure is hilarious!!!
Oh! Another thing I was wondering, did anyone get the weird innuendos between Ayame and Shigure, and once between Shigure and Hatori? Was I the only one to notice this? It made me wonder whether Shigure was just kidding around or not...

Quote:
Yeah, I'd love to see her with Kyo more than anyone, but Yuki's fine with me. I love them both
Go Kyo go!

I'm no superman.
grarpirates
flickr
Old January 23rd, 2006, 2:25 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Oh! Another thing I was wondering, did anyone get the weird innuendos between Ayame and Shigure, and once between Shigure and Hatori? Was I the only one to notice this? It made me wonder whether Shigure was just kidding around or not...
I didn't notice any innuendo between them, but at times it seemed like there was something going on between Ayame and Shigure...
Quote:
Go Kyo go!
Right on!

Quote:

Yep! Hello again . Haha I agree, especially about Shigure! I loved this one part in the manga, Tohru's hand got hurt and, oh heck I'll just quote it instead of explaining:

Shigure [on the phone to Hatori]: It'd be great if you could come over and take a look at Tohru's injury today... If you can spare the time, that is...
Hatori: ...I should be able to drop by later tonight...
Shigure: Hmm? You agreed to it just like that? My, aren't you helpful... Or could it be that...
You've secretly got the hots for Tohru?! I've hit the nail on the head, haven't I? Haven't I? Oooh... are you so unnerved it's gotten you tongue-tied?!
Hatori: I am so unnerved by your utter stupidity that words fail me completely...

Gotta love that Shiggy!

Old January 23rd, 2006, 2:43 pm
First Year

Quote:
I didn't notice any innuendo between them, but at times it seemed like there was something going on between Ayame and Shigure...
Right on!

Yep! Hello again . Haha I agree, especially about Shigure! I loved this one part in the manga, Tohru's hand got hurt and, oh heck I'll just quote it instead of explaining:

Shigure [on the phone to Hatori]: It'd be great if you could come over and take a look at Tohru's injury today... If you can spare the time, that is...
Hatori: ...I should be able to drop by later tonight...
Shigure: Hmm? You agreed to it just like that? My, aren't you helpful... Or could it be that...
You've secretly got the hots for Tohru?! I've hit the nail on the head, haven't I? Haven't I? Oooh... are you so unnerved it's gotten you tongue-tied?!
Hatori: I am so unnerved by your utter stupidity that words fail me completely...

Gotta love that Shiggy!
LOL!!! Ahww... I really have to get my hands on that manga. The anime's pretty funny too. Couldn't stop laughing when that Shigure appears. Oh! Does anyone know the name of that friend of Tohru's who's got some "electric" powers or something? She's pretty funny too when the Yuki fangirls start on Tohru. Heh. Fruits Basket =

Old January 23rd, 2006, 2:55 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by daring_azn
LOL!!! Ahww... I really have to get my hands on that manga. The anime's pretty funny too.
Yeah, the manga is really cool, I want to get the anime as well. Oh, and I think the one you mean is Saki Hanajima, but they usually call her Hanajima. She's psychic, but no electricity powers [that I know of, hehe], her other friend is Uotani, but she doesn't have any powers.

Old January 23rd, 2006, 2:58 pm
First Year

Quote:
Yeah, the manga is really cool, I want to get the anime as well. Oh, and I think the one you mean is Saki Hanajima, but they usually call her Hanajima. She's psychic, but no electricity powers [that I know of, hehe], her other friend is Uotani, but she doesn't have any powers.
Oh, my bad. Heh. 'Cause you see, in the anime, her hair somewhat stands up and have like "thunder" lines surrounding them when those crazed fangirls attack Tohru. Heh. So, where do you get your manga? Do you get it from stores or from the internet?

Old January 23rd, 2006, 3:06 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Oh, my bad. Heh. 'Cause you see, in the anime, her hair somewhat stands up and have like "thunder" lines surrounding them when those crazed fangirls attack Tohru. Heh. So, where do you get your manga? Do you get it from stores or from the internet?
Oh ok, I can understand that. Anyway, I get my manga from a store called EB games, they usually have a manga/anime section. I came across it by chance one day, and PPMKatie had told me about it, so I thought I better check it out. By the end of the first volume I was totally hooked, and I finished up to 4 the next day. Then I found it again when I went on holidays, and now I'm up to volume 10... I just need to find it now lol.

Old January 23rd, 2006, 3:15 pm
First Year

Ahww... now i'm really jealous. Its so hard to find manga here and if I find someone selling, they cost a lot of money. Although now that i'm totally obssesed, oh, never mind. Heh. Still haven't got one. So you haven't seen the anime?

Old January 23rd, 2006, 3:22 pm
Sixth Year

Each volume only costs about $13 where I come from, so I'm pretty lucky. No, I haven't seen it yet, do you know what channel and when it's on? Actually, I wonder if its been on Cartoon Network before... If it was they might put it on again and I'd be able to see it...

Old January 23rd, 2006, 4:15 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

You know, I still haven't started officially "collecting" the manga yet? I will, eventually. Seems that the later volumes are starting to get a bit redundant, but still enjoyable. Probably because, there's hardly any Momiji-kun!! lol Oh wait, it's like that in the earlier volumes too! I always choose the wrong characters to get attached to.

So, are we officially on Volume 13 for the American release of it?

Old January 23rd, 2006, 5:29 pm
Sixth Year

The USA is actually up to volume 12. It was released in December.

"Life without a friend is like death without a witness." Spanish proverb
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime