Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Are we too old for Harry Potter?

Old December 6th, 2007, 11:21 pm
First Year

Re: Are we too old for Harry Potter?

No one can tell you that magic doesn't exist. Where is the proof? It is just like religion, either you believe in it or not. I believe magic exists, somewhere, but that's no reason to not like Harry Potter. I find that people who don't believe in God see the Bible as an interesting read, not something to take your life from.

Old December 7th, 2007, 12:08 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked87 View Post
Exactly! The media focuses on the youngins', and leaves out the adults. That makes the non-HP fans think I am the lone adult in a long line with children waiting outside the bookstore. Nothing could be further from the truth!
Having a bunch of adults queue for a book isn't nearly as newsworthy as the quantities of children who want to actually read it too in this age of electronic media. That's why the news media have highlighted the children. I am of the opinion that although the series started out as a children's book, with each progressive volume the writing and charcter developement matured and was aimed at a progressively older audience so that those children who started out with the first book would not lose interest (due to maturity) in the series as the following books came out at intervals of a year or two (or three). The result was a series of books that appeals to all ages. I agree that Harry Potter will likely become a classic like Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, Peter Pan, Treasure Island...

Old December 7th, 2007, 12:32 am
The Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickquill View Post
Having a bunch of adults queue for a book isn't nearly as newsworthy as the quantities of children who want to actually read it too in this age of electronic media. That's why the news media have highlighted the children. I am of the opinion that although the series started out as a children's book, with each progressive volume the writing and charcter developement matured and was aimed at a progressively older audience so that those children who started out with the first book would not lose interest (due to maturity) in the series as the following books came out at intervals of a year or two (or three). The result was a series of books that appeals to all ages. I agree that Harry Potter will likely become a classic like Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, Peter Pan, Treasure Island...

You are spot on why this is such a phenomenon, especially in this age of new media and video games. The real story is definitely the fact that JKR came up with a book series that kids wanted to read. That doesn't diminish its appeal to adults, but I think the definite impact was on kids.

Thanks to cybobbie for the awesome sig pic!
Thanks to the best fanclub in the world!

My Fanfics:
A History of Magic: Part II - Beyond the Epilogue
Teddy Lupin and the Legacy of the Marauders ; A History of Magic: The Harry Potter Era (on hiatus); You Are Cordially Invited... (First Attempt)
Old December 7th, 2007, 10:11 am
Zonko's Employee

Too old for HP? No way! I'll never be too old for Narnia either! Although I find the HP saga more sophisticated, in many ways.

The first two books are very obviously children's books and then of course the series starts growing up as Harry grows up. But I like children's books. And what charmed me about Philosopher's Stone, when I first read it in November 1999 to discover what all the fuss was about, was its clever plotting, whimsical atmosphere and great characters. It definitely made me want to read more, and I have followed the series ever since, although I didn't really become a fan until the OotP movie and the publication of DH!

As an adult reader, I enjoy the sophistication and complexity of Rowling's wizarding world and I love her characters. Most of them. And even those I don't, I love to hate.

I am fascinated by how corrupt and political the Wizarding World is - this is one of the factors that give the HP series its edginess.

I also like how Rowling emphasises choice and how this affects our lives so profoundly. E.g. bad choices, like neither Sirius nor Severus being willing to forgive the other ... or Voldemort, like Macbeth, choosing to believe what the prophecy tells him, because he wants it to be true. And then there are the good choices: James and Lily choosing to die for their son; Severus choosing to vow to protect Harry for Lily's sake; Harry choosing, voluntarily, to sacrifice himself so that Voldy can be defeated, etc.

And, above all, I love that incredibly powerful Gothic backstory about how a gang of teenagers all attended the same school in the 1970s and all of them ended up dead on opposite sides of a war. Lily, James, Severus, Remus, Sirius and Peter: each one embroiled in an amazing tale of unrequited love, jealousy, hatred, betrayal, murder, remorse and civil war, a tragic tale which will cast its long, toxic shadow over the next generation. Fantastic stuff. And not kid's stuff at all. I often ponder how cool it would have been if Rowling had chosen to tell the Marauders' backstory specifically for adult readers. Because it really is so dark ...

However: this series has brought pleasure to millions of children and adults around the world, so she clearly did the right thing in initially writing for children, and then letting us watch Harry grow up.

Last edited by Pearl_Took; December 7th, 2007 at 10:14 am.
Old December 9th, 2007, 10:49 pm
First Year

Too old for Harry Potter? Absolutely not!

I'm in my 40's and the series was initially recommended to me by someone older than me, who was reading the first book at the time and loving it. I took their advice, read it, and have loved every word of the series since. A good book (or in this case 7 good books) is meant for anyone who finds enjoyment in it. I've read them several times now and I know that I'll be reading them periodically for the rest of my life.

As other posters have said, age is just a number...which has no bearing on what a person can enjoy. When others scoff and belittle "older" readers of the series it is only because they have no idea what they're missing...

Old December 9th, 2007, 10:54 pm
First Year

As long as we believe in the books magic, no. I don't think age matters because the books can touch the heart of people any age. The Harry Potter books have the same concepts other books have theme wise, so why should we have to grow out of them?

Old December 9th, 2007, 11:20 pm
Second Year

My grandmother was the one who originally recommended the series to me and bought me the first book as a birthday gift. She passed away a couple years ago, but I thought of her as I waited in line to pick up my copy of the Deathly Hallows. She really enjoyed the books and I consider myself lucky that she read them and decided to share them with me. She was also the one who took me to see the first movie... a lot of my favorite memories with her involve Harry Potter in some way. In other words, she certainly never considered herself too old for Harry Potter and I am very thankful that she didn't.

Woohoo! Stephenie Meyer is a Sirius Black fan too! (MuggleCast #156)

http://www.seldo.com/artemis/archives/black-dog.jpg

"Like the fact that the person Sirius cared most about in the whole world was you," said Dumbledore quietly. "Like the fact that you were coming to regard Sirius as a mixture of father and brother... that the one person whom you would go to any lengths to rescue was Sirius Black." - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Old December 9th, 2007, 11:24 pm
Second Year

The themes in Harry Potter are timeless. The books are great peices of liturature. I don't think any one can ever be too old for them.

Old December 11th, 2007, 2:22 pm
Second Year

I confess that I originally thought thta (40 by the way) so I didn't bother reading themI only happened to pick up CoS at the airport just to satisfy my courisity (sp) and found it to be wonderfully written and then proceeded to hunt bookshops in India where I ha gone to endevour to find the others and that was in 2005 so am a very late starter but I love the books & can still talk to my eldest daughter, (who kept nagging me to read them), about bits of them we even still question each other on the series! So No you are never too old to enjoy well written fiction!

There is no protection against love once it has chosen to exert its power

HISTORY IS NOT WHAT HAPPENED, HISTORY IS WHAT WAS WRITTEN DOWN!
Old December 15th, 2007, 8:21 pm
First Year

I became a Potter fan as of August this year. I wanted to find out what the brew-ha-ha was all about. all the people bumrushing b&n in NYC and then the movie OotP. So I took it upon myself to go to the library and checked out The GoF and lo and behold.....I couldn't put the book down. I read it making breakfast, I read it standing in lines at the PO, I read it sitting in traffic on the NJTP....I took this book everywhere I went

Then when I got paid the following week I made J.K. Rowling a rich woman!! I bought the box-set of books along with my hardcover copy of Deathly Hallows....Then I drove out to F.Y.E. and bought all the Potter movies that were already on dvd and then treated my brother to see OotP. I'm trying to make him understand the series.

I am 34 years old and Harry Potter can be enjoyed by people of all ages.

I'm hooked for life!!!

Old December 16th, 2007, 3:46 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiditchwitch View Post
I told my English teacher they were my favourite books and he told me I should be looking for something more "complex". I told him if he didn't have the time to read the books, I'd personally write a report about the complexities of the books. So now I'm saddled with seven reports! (not that I mind)
So, what happened with the reports??? He probably didnt even read the books right??
My friends laugh at me for reading HP books, they said they are childish. but they have not read them!!!! It is their loss then.

Old December 16th, 2007, 8:26 am
Seventh Year

I am by no means the oldest person to have read Harry. I am 53, so not the youngest either.
I find the the idea that people feel they have the right to comment on what other people do/say/read/enjoy, bizarre. As long as no-one is being hurt by the activities, then they have no right to interfere.

I have, for a long time, believed that age is nothing but a clumsy guide to what is happening to the body. The mind still accepts and enjoys life the same as it ever did. How many times have you heard older people say, "and I looked in the mirror and wondered who the old person was".
We still feel like we are young, except for the aches and pains.
If anyone feels that they have to remonstrate with me about reading Harry Potter, I just laugh and walk away. It is their problem, and as Lorena says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
It is their loss then.

Everyone has a photographic memory ... some, like me, just don't have any film
Old December 16th, 2007, 8:40 am
Second Year

Most of the ignorant comments regarding age restrictions and Harry Potter are made by people who have never picked up one of the books and have no idea of the phenomenal magic of the books. That fact speaks for itself.

The Potter Mermaid. =]
Old January 8th, 2008, 2:45 pm
First Year

My brother was reading Chamber of Secrets one day and I asked him why he was reading a kids book. He told me to try it, I did, I got hooked and counted down until the next book came out. Lucky I started when Order of the Phoenix was out so I didn't have to wait as long as some.

Old January 8th, 2008, 3:09 pm
First Year

I'm 20 years old now, and although i dont consider this to be particularly old, i still get quite a bit of stick off a couple of people for being such a geeky HP fan. I completely agree that (especially the later) books contain complex issues that adults can fully get to grips with more than the younger audience. The difference is that children get really enthralled by the idea of being "the chosen one" and the magic and excitement, whereas adults appreciate this too, but also appreciate the political and societal aspect of it.

I first started reading the series when i was 13/14 and really feel i have grown up with Harry! This is what i love, and always will.

Old January 8th, 2008, 4:22 pm
First Year

I am 26 and I don't consider myself old but still some of my friends are laughing at me for reading HP series. I tried to persuade them to try and read the books themselves but they say they are too childish. Well, it's their loss really. I don't think anyone is too old for Harry Potter and everyone can learn something from these magical books. I re-read the whole series a few times and I still love it. I think I will keep re-reading them occasionally for the rest of my life. They are just the best books I have ever read.

Old January 8th, 2008, 4:31 pm
Zonko's Employee

We're too old to be worrying about this.

Old January 8th, 2008, 4:37 pm
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
We're too old to be worrying about this.
Excellent

Old January 8th, 2008, 5:24 pm
Third Year

As long as we recognise the inner child in us, we are not too old to read Harry Potter books and enjoy them. But if you "kill" that child, when you grow up your heart dies and all that is wonderful in the world with it, magic, fairytales, early snowfights...

And so that you know, I do believe in fairies

Like a wilful stray cat, full of pride and freedom... bearing wounds that can't be healed...
Old January 8th, 2008, 6:24 pm
Sixth Year

Nope, not too old. Many of my friends peers are fans, and people even older. Jo is simply a gifted storyteller, itdoesn't matter that the books are framed for YA.

Happy Holidays to All!

Happy Christmas!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak