Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series

Old October 28th, 2012, 4:19 am
First Year

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series

Funny, I came here with Bonnie and Daniel in my head as worst and I thought it'd be a controversial opinion, but I'm happy to see it's okay to say that here haha. I agree the writing of Harry and Ginny in the movies - yeah, Ginny kinda had a crush on Harry in CoS but lets forget they even know each other until OOTP! - didn't help though. I always sort of thought they should have picked another actress for Ginny once it became clear Ginny wasn't going to be so shy for the entirety of the series and was actually going to be quite feisty.

As for best: the trio (and Evanna too!), Daniel and Ralph Fiennes, as well as Michael Gambon. I thought the Harry-Dumbledore dynamic always felt really real.

Old October 28th, 2012, 5:28 pm
First Year

I actually think that Dan and Robbie had a really good friendship with each other.

I also think that Dan and Gary had good chemistry with each other, too.

Emma and Dan were pretty good.

Lastly, Dan and Michael Gambon.

As for my least favorites:

Dan and Bonnie.

Also, Dan and Richard Harris never sold it to me, either.

Let's be friends on Pottermore:
DragonMoonstone16649
Old November 13th, 2012, 12:03 pm
First Year

Best: Harry and Hagrid by far!

I also enjoy the chemistry amongst the Order as a whole and the feeling of camaraderie between them.

Also, Fred and George; a no-brainer.

Worst: Harry and Ginny.

Harry and Cho.

Ron and Lavender.

Again, they all act nothing like a couple would in their situations.

Proud Ravenclaw

Come on you Falcons!

"Let us win, but if we cannot win let us break a few heads!"
Old April 24th, 2013, 3:46 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorrisTheClock View Post
Best: Harry and Hagrid by far!

I also enjoy the chemistry amongst the Order as a whole and the feeling of camaraderie between them.

Also, Fred and George; a no-brainer.

Harry and Cho.

Ron and Lavender.

on the bolded. Especially Harry and Hagrid, always enjoyed seeing those two in scenes together.

Dumbledore (both actors who played him) and Snape, seemed to have pretty good chemistry in the scenes they had together. They played off each other well enough. Same with Dumbledore (both actors who played him) and Mcgongall.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Old April 24th, 2013, 5:52 pm
Third Year

I also liked Fred and George together as well as Sirius and Harry together, I thought they did good.

Old April 24th, 2013, 6:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
I also liked Fred and George together as well as Sirius and Harry together, I thought they did good.
Yea they did a good job together . They were pretty believable as brothers. Really loved seeing them in the movies, they added that special something to them.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old May 9th, 2014, 11:46 pm
Zonko's Employee

BY far my favorite actor in the whole series is Brendan Gleeson. Thought PseudoMoody interacted very well with everyone from Karkaroff to Harry and everyone in between.

Matthew Lewis as Neville also worked well with everyone. The scene with Neville and Harry in the ROQ was one of the greatest. Dan was very good in that scene as well and he didn't have alot of lines.

By far the two best working together were Dan and Emma in the later films and Emma and Rupert in the first few films.

Also Ralph Fiennes and Dan really brought it. OOTP is my favorite book but I have to say that GOF acting wise, if not writing wise, is my favorite.

Old June 9th, 2014, 9:49 am
Seventh Year

I always thought Dan's chemistry with the other child actors was pretty poor but he seemed to do better in scenes where he was acting off the adult actors.

Old August 21st, 2015, 8:52 pm
Second Year

The Best:

The Trio - The series would have never worked for me without the chemistry between Dan, Rupert and Emma. I also thought Dan had a good chemistry with either Rupert or Emma. And the latter two played off each other very well.

Michael Gambon and Maggie Smith - Although I liked the chemistry between Ms. Smith and Richard Harris, I really enjoyed her chemistry with Gambon.

Daniel Radcliffe and Gary Oldman/David Thewlis - I thought Dan really sizzled with both Oldman and Thewlis, especially in "PoA".

Daniel Radcliffe and Evanna Lynch -I've been impressed by the chemistry between the pair, ever since Ms. Lynch joined the franchise in "OotP".

Alfred Enoch and Devon Murray - From the beginning, these two struck a nice balance as the two friends, Dean Thomas and Seamus Finnigan.

The Worst:

Daniel Radcliffe and Bonnie Wright - I hate to say this, but the pair did not exactly sizzle as Harry and Ginny. Their only screen kiss pretty much proved this. Pity.

Domhnall Gleeson and Clémence Poésy - Sorry to say that this pairing for Bill and Fleur failed to rock my boat.

Old August 25th, 2015, 6:28 pm
Lycanthrope

Dan and Tom - great enemy relationship that had to evolve into something helpful on both their parts. But they portrayed those roles very well.

Dan, Emma, Rupert - as a trio. Dan-Rupert also great; Emma-Dan great. But oddly, Rupert-Emma was kind of hit and miss - maybe it was supposed to be.

More, later.

Old July 12th, 2016, 10:27 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Worst - Daniel Radcliffe and Bonnie Wright, by far.

Sorry, but despite the "aww, Harry marries Ron's little sister" cuteness factor that JKR may have been aiming for, it just didn't work IMO. Daniel Radcliffe had far more chemistry with the girl who played Cho, who I thought would have been a much better girlfriend/wife for Harry anyway.

Old July 13th, 2016, 3:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeberanBlack View Post

Sorry, but despite the "aww, Harry marries Ron's little sister" cuteness factor that JKR may have been aiming for, it just didn't work IMO. Daniel Radcliffe had far more chemistry with the girl who played Cho, who I thought would have been a much better girlfriend/wife for Harry anyway.
I agree on that.

Only with Harry and Hermione. They had pretty good chemistry.

I thought that Hermione and Ron did ok, but I thought Harry and Hermione (Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson) had better chemistry.

Old July 13th, 2016, 4:10 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Yesssss. I feel like it could have worked if Ginny was recast after the 2nd book. Sorry Bonnie Wright. Or maybe it was the writing and directing. Whatever it was, there was no spark whatsoever.

Old July 13th, 2016, 5:43 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
Yesssss. I feel like it could have worked if Ginny was recast after the 2nd book. Sorry Bonnie Wright. Or maybe it was the writing and directing. Whatever it was, there was no spark whatsoever.
Or it could just be that no writing or directing, good or bad, could get that spark from the two actors!

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old August 23rd, 2016, 3:50 am
Ordo Lebes

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Or it could just be that no writing or directing, good or bad, could get that spark from the two actors!
Combination of both! The actors have no natural chemistry IMO but then you have that writing, like the awkward shoe-lace scene. No one could deliver that and make it seem anything but stale.

I'm a Harry/Ginny fan, too, so it's really unfortunate lol.

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old August 27th, 2016, 10:31 pm
Second Year

Quote:

The HP story was written as a ring composition, therefore, in order for Harry to have wound up with Cho in Book 7, there would have to have been something about him noticing her in Book 1.

Old January 10th, 2017, 10:46 pm
Fourth Year

From an old post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorrisTheClock View Post

Harry and Cho.

Ron and Lavender.

Well, they are mostly nothing like a couple, the last two pairs.

Harry and Ginny, on the other hand—this has been hashed and rehashed, but that doesn't make it untrue: They really have no spark. It's remarkable. I don't think it's the situation, for the pairing in the book works all right, if not spectacularly, but on the screen, it feels surprisingly flat. I don't think it's the direction, since the two were put into situations and blockings that I thought should've worked. Even the infamous shoelace scene—which I had no intrinsic problem with (I don't care that it's not in the books, and the awkwardness could work for the scene)—just feels like they went through the motions. Same with the scene in the room of requirement.

I think my problem is that she's just too cool and serene and unruffled, and she's not supposed to be like that. She doesn't look nervous around him. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Daniel Radcliffe is some phenomenal actor (though he did get better as the series went along), but she seems flatter and more wooden than he does. And I don't think her character is written that way in the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensieve_Seeker View Post
The HP story was written as a ring composition, therefore, in order for Harry to have wound up with Cho in Book 7, there would have to have been something about him noticing her in Book 1.
Not everything in the series has to be like that. It turned out to be that way with Ginny, yes, but I don't think it would have stuck out like a sore thumb if it hadn't.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies