Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Favourite HP movie so far

View Poll Results: Which one is your favourite movie so far?
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone 42 7.39%
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 26 4.58%
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 121 21.30%
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 42 7.39%
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 37 6.51%
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 168 29.58%
Harry Pottter and the Deathly Hallows (it will just rock the most...) 132 23.24%
Voters: 568. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 21st, 2009, 3:37 am
Third Year

Favourite HP movie so far

I was wondering, where does HBP rank in your favorite HP films?

We've seen 6 of the HP films so far. Where does HBP rank?

For me, it's:

1. PoA
2. HBP
3. SS
4. OOTP
5. CoS
6. GoF

Old July 21st, 2009, 6:40 am
Eldest Gruff

Re: Where does HBP rank in your favorite HP films?

I added a poll about the favourite movie so far.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old July 21st, 2009, 6:50 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
I added a poll about the favourite movie so far.
Thanks!

Old July 21st, 2009, 6:50 am
Seventh Year

As much as I'd like to vote Deathly Hallows, I think I'll reserve judgment. I don't know what my ranking is right now, but HBP is my favorite of the films.

ETA: Okay, I think this is my ranking;
1. HBP
2. GoF
3. OotP
4. PoA
5. SS
6. CoS

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; July 21st, 2009 at 6:57 am.
Old July 21st, 2009, 6:54 am
Fourth Year

So far I rank them, from best to worst, as:

HBP
CoS
PS/SS
PoA
GoF
OotP

I'm predicting/hoping that DH (both parts) will be the best. Most people I talk to seem to like PoA the best, but for some reason I just can't agree. There's way too much unnecessary, random non-canon action and weird humor, plus a few really cheesy scenes filled with bloody awful acting. But HBP had all the beautiful cinematography of PoA without the randomness. I loved it.

Old July 21st, 2009, 7:04 am
Banned

Azkaban by far.

1) PoA
2.0) HBP
2.5) OoTP
3.0) GoF = PS
7.0) CoS

I use the other numbers to reflect how I really feel about the films. HBP is slightly better than OoTP.

Old July 21st, 2009, 7:07 am
Sixth Year

I'd have to say:

PoA, OOTP and HBP all tie for my favorite of the films. I can't decide which one I like more.
Then:
GOF
SS
CoS

I'm hoping the 2 part DH knocks the other three off the top of the list! I have high hopes for that film!

Old July 21st, 2009, 7:52 am
Zonko's Employee

Hands down: HBP.

I never could decide on a favorite before this movie. None of the other movies ever stood out to be as being exceptional or the best of the bunch. I loved them all and enjoyed them all, sure. Each one had it's own share of flaws and each one had amazing scenes that stood out. Though none of them were any better than the others for me, until HBP came along and blew all the others out of the water!

Now, I don't know whether it was because HBP was the first HP movie I saw having known and studied all the cuts and changes years and months before-hand and the first movie I obsessively followed, or because HBP as a book, is one of my least favorites, I'm not sure.

I just know as a movie, and as a HP film, HBP does it all for me. It combines the faithfulness of the first two movies with the cinematic artistic edge of POA, the epic scale and fun nature of GOF and the emotion and top-notch acting of OOTP. POA went too far in one direction, while PS/SS and COS went too far in the other direction. OOTP had a poor script that made the plot so confusing and the editing was too choppy, the cinemtography too TV-esque. GOF was just all over the place. HBP meshes everything that was good about each HP film together and does away with almost everything that was flawed, imo.

Although, I must say, OOTP has grown on me over the past two years, and now especially after HBP. I can't wait to watch OOTP again after having seen HBP. I'm certain I'll appreciate it even more now. I definitely think Yates is the best directer for HP.

I feel HBP is as close as you're going to get in staying true to the depth, complexity and details of the books while still making an enjoyable cinematic movie.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old July 21st, 2009, 7:52 am
Fourth Year

HBP is definitely #1 so far, but i'm hoping DH will be even better, cause even though i loved this one, there were still some definite problems for me.

ranking:

1) HBP
2) GoF
3) CoS
4) OOTP
5) SS
6) PoA

(OOTP and SS may need to be switched, i haven't watched either of them in awhile)

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Old July 21st, 2009, 8:15 am
Fifth Year

More like ...

OotP > GoF = PoA = HBP > SS > CoS

OotP was wonderfully done; the one time the moviemakers really captured the feeling of the book. It was focused, coherent, imaginative, and inspring. The one thing that could have been improved was the Sirius/Harry relationship, which felt a bit too generic in the movie.

GoF, HBP, and PoA, are all around the same for me. They're all solid enjoyable adaptations, but have their weaknesses. GoF had great set pieces and acting, and a nice thriller feel to it, but had some amazingly cheesy scenes, like the Beaubaton girls entrance, and the "I'm not an owl" sequence. PoA was visually stunning, but has too much of scene-stealing Hermione and a confusing plot. HBP was very funny, but didn't focus enough on Harry's story.

SS is simply a cute children's film, no more, no less.

CoS was kind of bad. Just incredibly boring and slow-paced. And that ending...just...no...

Last edited by LordGrindelwald; July 21st, 2009 at 8:23 am.
Old July 21st, 2009, 8:19 am
Second Year

1. HBP by far because of its superior acting and cinematography. It has a few flaws, just not as many as the others.

2. OotP-Didn't like it as much at first, but it has grown on me after watching it a few times

T3. PoA-Liked the darkness in the film and relatively followed the story pretty well

T3. SS-Haven't seen this one in a while but I liked it okay the first go around

5. CoS-At first I liked it, but then I realized it was maybe a little too long and then the ending was the worst of all of the Potter films, so it dropped it to this spot

6. GoF-By far the worst out of all the Potter films thus far. The storyline was really choppy and would be tough to understand unless you read the story and had some idea. A lot of my favorite scenes were really short including the third task. It was way too short. They could have put some obstacles into the maze besides the moving maze walls. I did like the graveyard scene however.

"Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it"-Albus Dumbledore

"You may not like him Minister, but you can't deny. Dumbledore's got style."

"Your blood is much more precious than mine"-Albus Dumbledore

"I must be the one to kill Harry Potter."-Lord Voldemort
Old July 21st, 2009, 8:24 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Well let's see:
HBP
GOF/OOTP
CoS
SS

I'm debating right now between GOF and OOTP. I can't decide which I like best at the moment.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old July 21st, 2009, 8:27 am
Second Year

I still like GOF the best overall and POA for the unique style and vision but HBP was very good at moving the story along getting back into the world of Harry Potter. I did not like OOTP really so HBP has restored my interest in the films. I say this is second to GOF and before POA.

Old July 21st, 2009, 8:29 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

I always find it difficult to rank the movies because I find them generally enjoyable, but each seems to have a different strength. I think that in order to properly evaluate the movies and rank them, I would have to completely detach myself from my love of the books, something which would be impossible. With this in mind, I know that my opinion of the movies is skewed, but none the less, I find that I always enjoy CoS the most as all of its characters are so well-portrayed, the story leaves very little out, and I find that due to this low-risk formula, it really had nothing that disappointed me. Compare that to HBP, where they make so many changes (I think that at times, Yates actually goes out of his way to make sure he isn't simply following the books) and yet I still manage to enjoy it. Parts of it annoy me because I find myself comparing it to the book and thinking that the book way is so much better, but it was still a great film.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old July 21st, 2009, 9:19 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Mine would be -
  1. SS
  2. COS
  3. HBP
  4. OOTP
  5. GOF

I think DH parts 1 and 2 could possibly replace the first two films as my favorites, but it's way to early to decide that. COS and HBP will probably change positions depending on my mood. Right now I like COS better, but they are really close for me. POA was so terrible, it's not even on my list - I don't consider it part of the HP series.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old July 21st, 2009, 10:04 am
Second Year

1. HBP
2. POA
3. GOF
4. PS
5. COS
6. OOTP

I loved HBP definatley my favourite of the lot, I hated OOTP though, it just didn't do it for me at all.

Old July 21st, 2009, 10:09 am
Fifth Year

1.POA (excellent)
2.GOF (okay)
3.OOTP (just about watchable)
4.HBP (pretty bad)
5.PS (awful)
6. COS (just embarrassing)

POA and GOF are the only good films IMO, and POA the only truly great one. OOTP is workmanlike but just about tolerable, and the other 3 are a mess.

Old July 21st, 2009, 10:10 am
Zonko's Employee

Cuaron's PoA is still my number one, just because it's so beautifully made and so delightful to watch and the emotion is so true. Here was a director who really captured the dazzling magic of Harry's world.

OotP and HBP tie exactly in second place. I like them both equally. I love how Yates captures the darkening of Harry's world: both these films are much darker and grittier, and that is how it should be.

Funnily enough, I found the exposition in HBP even thinner than in OotP. I have no idea how a non-reader could possibly understand what was going on in HBP. Whereas Cuaron's PoA could almost stand alone. But HBP handled the Draco storyline so well. And other elements too.

I do really like the dreamlike, 'English horror' aspect of HBP.

Old July 21st, 2009, 11:16 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
Cuaron's PoA is still my number one, just because it's so beautifully made and so delightful to watch and the emotion is so true. Here was a director who really captured the dazzling magic of Harry's world.
I couldn't agree more.

My list so far is:

1)PoA
2)PoA
3)PoA
4)PoA
5)PoA
6)OotP

I think there are other films based on HP books, but right now I'm not able to remember when, where, and why they were made.

Last edited by KlausBaudelaire; July 21st, 2009 at 11:33 am.
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:28 am
Seventh Year

Up until now, PoA was my all time favourite.

But HBP has just crossed the winners line. And by just, I mean just!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives