Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.6

Old July 19th, 2015, 9:39 pm
Renegade

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Yup, he continually put the focus on James and his motive instead of acknowledging he'd been saved from potential horrors or death. As I said above, what difference does it make to Snape? I mean when someone saves your life the last thing that you should be on about doing is questioning their motive and then accusing them of not saving you with the correct mindset.
I agree with you there. Snape was seemingly incapable of recognizing the good in what James did for him that night. Instead he created a narrative of his own that certainly wasn't confirmed by any other character in the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWB
In hindsight, it feels like the 'human side' of Snape's character was trying to get a free pass off of his rejection of evil. But that just didn't work for me. As an everyday individual - professor, mentor, protector, individual etc., he failed to ever reach a socially acceptable level of interaction with the world, imo. He was very consistent though; he was the same way with people on the good side, bad side and every other side (except Voldemort and Dumbledore), which to me shows that it was simply his personality.
I will go to my grave with the opinion that Snape was a nasty piece of work for almost everyone he encountered in his short life. I understand why Albus Dumbledore put up with him so long, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2015, 4:32 pm
Always Indy's Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
If you closely read the passage from the book, it's clear that Snape had told Voldemort that he need only kill the child but not the mother as Snape desired her (we learn that from Voldemort in DH).
I am not sure I can take Voldemort's words as truth, especially when he was speaking in anger.

Quote:
It's also very clear that Dumbledore specifically phrased it that way to see if that's what Snape had indeed asked for. Snape made no distinction or protest that he had not suggested Voldemort just kill the child.
Snape was at that time a DEath Eater. If he had said anything other than what he did about Harry, I think Voldemort would have killed him. I think Snape, when he asked Voldemort to spare Lily, could never ask Voledmort for Harry; indeed I think if he did speak about Harry to Voldemort it would be in unfavourable terms of disbelief that a small baby could vanquish his great leader or that Harry would die very easily at his Lord's hands. I don't think Snape could even begin to talk any other language.

Quote:
and that James had saved him because he was simply a man in danger (as any good Gryffindor would do),
I disagree. Ron, a Gryffindor strongly wanted to leave Goyle to die in Book 7.
Remus Lupin, a Gryffindor and friend of James Potter who saved him in the Shack incident and also befriended him after knowing he was a werewolf, did not care if Sirius captured Harry or killed him. He refused to do the right thing IMO.

Draco Malfoy on the other hand did the right thing even though he was a Slytherin (who you feel are selfish thinking); he refused to identify Harry in Malfoy Manor in Book 7.

Quote:
From Snape's point of view, imo, he should have been thinking, 'who cares why James saved me'! Because the only thing that really mattered to him was his safety and health.
I'm quite sure Snape thought so. While he probably felt that James Potter was there only for his friends, I'm sure Snape felt relieved he came that day.

Would James Potter have come if not for Sirius and Remus? I think that's debatable and personally I doubt it.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old July 22nd, 2015, 4:44 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
I am not sure I can take Voldemort's words as truth, especially when he was speaking in anger.
These are Snape's words, not Voldemort's. Snape told Dumbledore he had suggested to Voldemort to just kill the child and let the mother live. Snape's words. And Voldemort's assertion that Snape merely desired Lily sounds exactly like the case Snape would have made to Voldemort, presenting it as a case of lust, not love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods
Snape was at that time a DEath Eater. If he had said anything other than what he did about Harry, I think Voldemort would have killed him. I think Snape, when he asked Voldemort to spare Lily, could never ask Voledmort for Harry; indeed I think if he did speak about Harry to Voldemort it would be in unfavourable terms of disbelief that a small baby could vanquish his great leader or that Harry would die very easily at his Lord's hands. I don't think Snape could even begin to talk any other language.
This has nothing to do with whether or not Snape could/would ask Voldemort to spare Harry. Snape obviously knew that would be impossible.

However, the part that disgusted Dumbledore, was that Snape had only wanted to save Lily but not the others. And when he realized he could not trust Voldemort to keep his word, he went to Dumbledore for help but admitted he had only tried to make a deal for Lily with Voldemort. Sorry, but the passage from the book shows Snape's singular focus only on Lily with little regard for others' lives. Instead of trying to bargain with Voldemort, Snape could have gone to Dumbledore sooner.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old July 28th, 2015, 8:45 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
I disagree. Ron, a Gryffindor strongly wanted to leave Goyle to die in Book 7. Remus Lupin, a Gryffindor and friend of James Potter who saved him in the Shack incident and also befriended him after knowing he was a werewolf, did not care if Sirius captured Harry or killed him. He refused to do the right thing IMO.
Ron didn't want to save Goyle and Remus didn't want to reveal Sirius was the dog - both for the wrong reasons, true. But James actually did save Snape - so he did the right thing. I didn't say that Gryffindors always do the right things, I said that when they do, they generally do it for the right reason - which is why they are raffled into Gryffindor house. There are always exceptions, but James Potter was obviously not supposed to be one of those.

Quote:
Draco Malfoy on the other hand did the right thing even though he was a Slytherin (who you feel are selfish thinking); he refused to identify Harry in Malfoy Manor in Book 7.
Slytherin has some brilliant wizards with good hearts. Draco is a good example. He had a good heart buried in his chest, he was just raised to pretend he didn't. He also had a lot of traits that JKR made central to those she put in Slytherin. Selfishness, a nasty disposition, etc. But she also showed that he had another side that he sought to embrace as time moved on. So not all Slytherins were death eaters and monstrous Voldemort types - there were definitely nuances of character. But in the main, when someone stepped out of character, JKR advised us through a reliable source. Snape, as the hated enemy of James, who could see no good in him at all whatsoever and was badmouthing him at the time, could hardly be considered a reliable source on the topic of James' motivations.

Quote:
I'm quite sure Snape thought so. While he probably felt that James Potter was there only for his friends, I'm sure Snape felt relieved he came that day.

Would James Potter have come if not for Sirius and Remus? I think that's debatable and personally I doubt it.
Yeah - I am sure he was relieved. But we hear nothing about that at all - nor that he was grateful for being saved. It was all about what horrible treatment he was receiving at the hands of others. So we are left not really knowing one way or the other.

Old July 30th, 2015, 3:36 pm
Zonko's Employee

Wow. What a while it's been. Gosh, there's life in the old thread yet.

Quote:
While I agree that James Potter did save Snape's life, I disagree that he would have done so even if Sirius and Remus were not there. James Potter I believe came to save Remus and Sirius, especially Sirius, and for him to save Sirius and Remus he had to save Snape. Which he did. That to me is more believable.
I'm not James's biggest fan, but nobody will ever convince me that he actually wanted Severus dead. Perhaps James's own guilt in the matter (since he was implicated in the Marauders' irresponsible behaviour, being their leader) was also a strong motivator for wanting to save Severus from Werewolf Remus (and of course James would be equally concerned for Remus). The whole shocking affair was Sirius's fault anyway.

So I do think James did the right thing - he did what any decent person would try to do in the circumstances. But it was too late - Snape was not capable of forgiving him, even for this.

(Re: Ron's attitude to Crabbe's nasty death, Crabbe had just tried to murder him and the others using the same methods. I think I can cut Ron some slack here. It's a very intense scenario.)

Quote:
Snape, as the hated enemy of James, who could see no good in him at all whatsoever and was badmouthing him at the time, could hardly be considered a reliable source on the topic of James' motivations.
That is true. But there was just too much bad blood between Teenage James and Teenage Severus for Teen Sev to even think about forgiving James. He just couldn't forgive the boy who had bullied him with his gang. Especially as it was said gang who had almost been responsible for his death, even though the leader of the gang came to save him. A very human reaction. Especially from a teenage boy who was as bitter, mixed up, and unhappy as Severus.

Quote:
Yeah - I am sure he was relieved. But we hear nothing about that at all - nor that he was grateful for being saved. It was all about what horrible treatment he was receiving at the hands of others. So we are left not really knowing one way or the other.
Teenage Snape is both sinned against and sinning. As I said, he just couldn't forgive his bullies, even when one of them actually tried to repay the debt he owed Snape.

to one and all.

Old July 30th, 2015, 4:41 pm
Renegade

Nice post, Pearl!

The one thing I've not seen mentioned recently is that Snape was a bully extraordinaire himself. Remember Lily scolding him for what Avery and Mulciber - "your little gang" - had done to one of her friends? And, later, how Snape and his gang couldn't wait to join Voldemort? Sirius and Lupin both spoke of how Snape "never missed a chance to curse James" and how "you can't expect James to take that lying down."

I've always thought there were two rival gangs at Hogwarts back then - one Gryffindor, one Slytherin. It's clear to me that the animosity between them predated the episode in Snape's Last Memory. I also think jealousy played into it from Day One. As Lupin said, "James was everything Snape wanted to be." Tops in every metric and a pureblood to boot. And, of course, James lived in Gryffindor Tower where Lily also resided. Snape correctly perceived James' interest in her and that added yet another element of rage.

We saw essentially the same mindset play out between Harry and Draco. But without the added drama of a girl they both fancied.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

August 28, 2013

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old July 31st, 2015, 5:36 pm
Sixth Year

It does bring into question, how come we didn't see any of Snape's gang actually try to help him in His Worst Memory? So we even hear about what happened to them later in life?

Old July 31st, 2015, 6:03 pm
Renegade

Some of them were sitting at the table at Malfoy Manor when Voldemort humiliated Lucius and Narcissa in DH. Not one of them interceded, Snape included.

August 28, 2013

Old August 5th, 2015, 12:30 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
(Re: Ron's attitude to Crabbe's nasty death, Crabbe had just tried to murder him and the others using the same methods. I think I can cut Ron some slack here. It's a very intense scenario.)
He actually risked his life to fly back and help save them, so his words were rather ignorable in the end. It is true he was prodded on by Harry, but only Harry was aware that they may not be dealing with loyal death eaters in there (Draco had refused to give him up at Malfoy Manor and wasn't hexing him in the room although given ample time and opportunity - plus he saw Draco fail to kill Dumbledore.) We know they left Death Eaters to die and/or helped kill them, so that has to be taken into consideration in Ron's case because he wasn't present at any of those events.

Quote:
That is true. But there was just too much bad blood between Teenage James and Teenage Severus for Teen Sev to even think about forgiving James. He just couldn't forgive the boy who had bullied him with his gang. Especially as it was said gang who had almost been responsible for his death, even though the leader of the gang came to save him. A very human reaction. Especially from a teenage boy who was as bitter, mixed up, and unhappy as Severus.
Well he didn't have to forgive him - just acknowledge the fact that he'd saved him. Or better yet, say nothing at all and mostly not torture the man's son who was innocent of all of that (and the son of his purported great love - which is one part of the story I reject outright. You can't treat her son that way if you really have even a smidgeon of love for her, since he'd done nothing wrong. I don't care if he is an exact replica of the dad - which he was, but for the eyes - it doesn't matter. At most Snape had a unique version of infatuation for Lily, imo. I really dislike that portion of Snape's character being portrayed as a great unrequited love story, because it is too steeped in hate to be considered love, imo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
Nice post, Pearl!

The one thing I've not seen mentioned recently is that Snape was a bully extraordinaire himself. Remember Lily scolding him for what Avery and Mulciber - "your little gang" - had done to one of her friends? And, later, how Snape and his gang couldn't wait to join Voldemort? Sirius and Lupin both spoke of how Snape "never missed a chance to curse James" and how "you can't expect James to take that lying down."

I've always thought there were two rival gangs at Hogwarts back then - one Gryffindor, one Slytherin. It's clear to me that the animosity between them predated the episode in Snape's Last Memory. I also think jealousy played into it from Day One. As Lupin said, "James was everything Snape wanted to be." Tops in every metric and a pureblood to boot. And, of course, James lived in Gryffindor Tower where Lily also resided. Snape correctly perceived James' interest in her and that added yet another element of rage.

We saw essentially the same mindset play out between Harry and Draco. But without the added drama of a girl they both fancied.
I agree. Snape had a many faceted character as laid out in the books. He was a bully as a teen as pointed out in the Prince's tale - at home in his neighborhood as well as at school. JKR wrote it so that we understood things were similar year after year. Kids cowered before the antics of the Slytherins (Snape's gang, Draco's trio), but you'd have these other "brave" Gryffindors (Marauders, Harry's trio) that bullied back - giving them a taste of their own medicine. Snape continued to be a bully as an adult, both toward the children in his care and to other adults. So this was a major aspect of his character.

I think JKR wanted to also point out that with some of the Slytherins - Slughorn, Draco Malfoy, etc., things changed down the line and they grew chill and mellowed out. Snape never really chilled on the bullying, but he mellowed out on the evil, so that happened. She also wanted to point out that one's upbringing might impact one's life (Snape, Neville, Draco, etc), but that it didn't have to (Harry, Sirius).

So I think there were a lot of sides to Snape's tale that JKR wanted to get across in the end.

Old September 12th, 2015, 7:08 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

I thought it was very interesting that JKR has revealed that Snape was based on one of her teachers .
I wonder how closely she based him on the teacher? He must have been something else if she used him to create Snape ,who is in my opinion the most complex character aside from Harry in the whole series.

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old September 13th, 2015, 7:50 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
I thought it was very interesting that JKR has revealed that Snape was based on one of her teachers .
I wonder how closely she based him on the teacher? He must have been something else if she used him to create Snape ,who is in my opinion the most complex character aside from Harry in the whole series.
Nothing new here. It's been known almost from the beginning that Snape was partially based on her chemistry teacher, the late John Nettleship. He seemed to have been a pretty good guy though rather eccentric. Snape is also based on an earlier teacher who was a real b*tch [J. K. Rowling A Biography by Dean Smith], but she never received the notoriety that Mr. Nettleship did. He eventually enjoyed the connection especially after Alan Rickman had been cast. In his defence, JN said JKR was a bright student who he was attempting to help do better in a subject she apparently didn't enjoy.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998

Last edited by snapes_witch; October 23rd, 2015 at 8:09 am. Reason: correct typo
Old November 29th, 2015, 10:09 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Did anyone see JKR's tweets about Snape? I was lucky enough to be hanging on Twitter around that time and it was so weird seeing our neverending debate play out in micro form! Anyway, broken down:

On Snape being good or bad:
She said "Snape is all grey" and neither a saint, nor a devil. He died for the cause Lily believed in, and to save the wizarding world, and Harry understood and forgave him in the end (which is why he named Albus Severus after him); but also that he was vindictive and bullying. She also directly called him a bully.

On his feelings for Lily:
She said he loved the goodness he sensed in Lily without being able to emulate her, and that it was his tragedy.

On why he died:
According to JKR he didn't die for "ideals" (her quotation marks), but to expiate his own guilt.

On his role in the war:
He could have broken cover at any time to save himself, but he chose not to tell Vodemort that targeting Harry would be fatal. His silence ensured Harry's victory.

I personally think the most interesting thing she said though was: "In honouring Snape, Harry hoped in his heart that he too would be forgiven. The deaths at the Battle of Hogwarts would haunt Harry forever." This adds further depth to Harry's character, to me, and strengthens his links with Snape, character-wise.

So she said what I've always believed in, more or less - that Snape died in an attempt to make amends for his horrible sins and that he was a vindictive, petty person who was nevertheless capable of great sacrifice and ultimately did everything in his power to redeem himself because he held onto the possibly inly good and noble thing he'd known, the memory of Lily and the things she believed in.

All the tweets are on her Twitter account, helpfully collected in a Buzzfeed article.

Old November 29th, 2015, 4:24 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

My favorite comment from the same discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR on Twitter
He stood to gain nothing personally but the triumph of the cause Lily had believed in. He was trying to do right.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old November 29th, 2015, 4:43 pm
Renegade

Has she ever identified the others who died at the Battle of Hogwarts?

August 28, 2013

Old November 29th, 2015, 8:49 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Has she ever identified the others who died at the Battle of Hogwarts?
For the Light? Remus, Tonks, and Fred Weasley (and, of course, Severus Snape). Some ambiguity about Lavender, but the last we read she's moving so I assume she survived. Can't imagine anyone else dying without a mention in the book.

One of Draco's minions bought it in the RofR.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old November 29th, 2015, 9:12 pm
Snidget of Champions

An interesting discussion on JKR's end about Snape, and I'd say my perspective more or less aligns with it. She sees both the positive and negative of the character (perhaps over-emphasizing the negative, at times, which is likely partly what's perpetuated fans' disdain even for Snape's sacrifice).

I think it's accurate (and important) to see Snape as a vindictive and, at times, cruel individual who nevertheless overcame his personal biases and distastes to "do right." To forgive Snape's cruel treatment of, say, Neville as part of his role as a spy and educator is as much a disservice to the character (and the moral message of the books) as waving away Snape's critical and praiseworthy sacrifice to save the wizarding world from Voldemort's terror. Both, in my mind, make the character whole and show us that even outwardly mean and selfish people can be good and make the right decisions/sacrifices for the right reasons (here is where I disagree a bit with JKR: I find it hard to believe that Snape died purely for Lily and his guilt over his past. It seems unrealistic that he would not have developed [or previously had] his own sense of moral good and duty over more than a decade of working for that morality).
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
For the Light? Remus, Tonks, and Fred Weasley (and, of course, Severus Snape). Some ambiguity about Lavender, but the last we read she's moving so I assume she survived. Can't imagine anyone else dying without a mention in the book.

One of Draco's minions bought it in the RofR.
And Colin Creevey and "fifty others who died fighting him [Harry]." JKR hasn't named anyone else, and I agree with snapes_witch that it doesn't seem that other prominent, named characters were among those who died.

And the minion who died was Crabbe (Goyle in the film). I think the only other deaths during the battle we know by name are Voldemort, Bellatrix, and Nagini.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138

Last edited by MrSleepyHead; November 29th, 2015 at 9:15 pm.
Old November 29th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Renegade

Thanks muchly, you two.

August 28, 2013

Old November 29th, 2015, 10:52 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Spoiler: show
Did anyone see JKR's tweets about Snape? I was lucky enough to be hanging on Twitter around that time and it was so weird seeing our neverending debate play out in micro form! Anyway, broken down:

On Snape being good or bad:
She said "Snape is all grey" and neither a saint, nor a devil. He died for the cause Lily believed in, and to save the wizarding world, and Harry understood and forgave him in the end (which is why he named Albus Severus after him); but also that he was vindictive and bullying. She also directly called him a bully.

On his feelings for Lily:
She said he loved the goodness he sensed in Lily without being able to emulate her, and that it was his tragedy.

On why he died:
According to JKR he didn't die for "ideals" (her quotation marks), but to expiate his own guilt.

On his role in the war:
He could have broken cover at any time to save himself, but he chose not to tell Vodemort that targeting Harry would be fatal. His silence ensured Harry's victory.

I personally think the most interesting thing she said though was: "In honouring Snape, Harry hoped in his heart that he too would be forgiven. The deaths at the Battle of Hogwarts would haunt Harry forever." This adds further depth to Harry's character, to me, and strengthens his links with Snape, character-wise.

So she said what I've always believed in, more or less - that Snape died in an attempt to make amends for his horrible sins and that he was a vindictive, petty person who was nevertheless capable of great sacrifice and ultimately did everything in his power to redeem himself because he held onto the possibly inly good and noble thing he'd known, the memory of Lily and the things she believed in.

All the tweets are on her Twitter account, helpfully collected in a Buzzfeed article.
I did and she did a very good job explaining how he was a shade of grey character, neither good or evil, but somewhere in the middle.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Old November 29th, 2015, 11:28 pm
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
I did and she did a very good job explaining how he was a shade of grey character, neither good or evil, but somewhere in the middle.
I don't think she did a good job of it. The "Great Snape Debates" would never have been necessary had she done so.

August 28, 2013

Old November 30th, 2015, 3:37 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
I don't think she did a good job of it. The "Great Snape Debates" would never have been necessary had she done so.
How do you think she didn't do a good job?

I was mainly going off of what she said now, not what she said in the past.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies