Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.6

Old November 30th, 2015, 5:08 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.6

Hi , Could someone please post a link to what she posted for those of us who don't have twitter.

thanks

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2015, 5:49 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
Hi , Could someone please post a link to what she posted for those of us who don't have twitter.

thanks
This EW article includes screencaps of her comments at the end.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old November 30th, 2015, 7:14 am
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
How do you think she didn't do a good job?

I was mainly going off of what she said now, not what she said in the past.
It's just that the twain don't meet, at least for me. What she says now isn't exactly born out in what she wrote in the series.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old November 30th, 2015, 8:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by arithmancer View Post
This EW article includes screencaps of her comments at the end.
Thanks for the link

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old November 30th, 2015, 10:30 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
I don't think she did a good job of it. The "Great Snape Debates" would never have been necessary had she done so.
I think the fact that people are still debating that one issue is proof she did a brilliant job as a writer.

Old November 30th, 2015, 12:41 pm
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
I think the fact that people are still debating that one issue is proof she did a brilliant job as a writer.
We've agreed on a lot over the years, Yoana, but not this one. I just don't think she succeeded in showing Snape to be what she now says he is/was. I've said many times that I gave up on Snape after reading POA. Nothing I saw in the last four books changed my mind about him one bit. I also didn't buy the bit about Harry suddenly forgiving Snape and then naming his second son after him!

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

August 28, 2013

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old November 30th, 2015, 3:53 pm

Quote:
I just don't think she succeeded in showing Snape to be what she now says he is/was.
I think you and Yoana have a fundamental disagreement about what success as a writer means in this context. Consider a real-life controversial person (I don't know - Vladimir Putin? Winston Churchill? A slave-owning Founding Father like Washington or Jefferson?) Depending on their values, political views, and trusted sources for facts, different people have different views of these potentially controversial real life people.

The sense in which Rowling has succeeded, is that she has created Snape as a character who is so complex and contradictory that he is like the real-life famous controversial people of my example to her readers. She as the author sees him as the grey character with heroic and objectionable qualities she describes. But readers (as evidenced either on Twitter or here...) see him as a range of possible things, from a despicable human being who cannot be considered redeemed, to a purely heroic figure (once he changed sides). Just as different real life people will see the persons I named above, in similarly different lights.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old November 30th, 2015, 7:23 pm
Renegade

That's a fair take on it, and one I agree with.

I despise Snape. Nothing short of a lobotomy is going to change that.

August 28, 2013

Old December 1st, 2015, 10:05 am

Quote:
We've agreed on a lot over the years, Yoana, but not this one. I just don't think she succeeded in showing Snape to be what she now says he is/was. I've said many times that I gave up on Snape after reading POA. Nothing I saw in the last four books changed my mind about him one bit. I also didn't buy the bit about Harry suddenly forgiving Snape and then naming his second son after him!
No, what I meant was, if an author managed to stir debate, let alone long-lasting and heated debate, of their books, they did well as an author, because if there's nothing to analyse and argue about, if everything is clear-cut and there's no room for interpretation, it can't be a very good book IMO.

As for Snape, I think it's a matter of interpretation and you're just as right about him as I am and as JKR is. He's a literary character and as such belong to each reader and I believe there are no wrong interpretations. I haven't always believed that but I do now. Reading and making sense of stories and characters for one's own pleasure and fun is such an individual thing because we're all so different, coming from different backgrounds and experiences. I don't think there's such a thing as a wrong interpretation of a character, and the more interpretations there are, the greater depth there is to a character.

Old December 1st, 2015, 11:10 am
MODLY CREW

Conciliatory words in the Snape thread? I am stumped, folks, but also delighted.

Old December 1st, 2015, 11:49 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
Conciliatory words in the Snape thread? I am stumped, folks, but also delighted.
It only took eight years!

Quote:
I personally think the most interesting thing she said though was: "In honouring Snape, Harry hoped in his heart that he too would be forgiven. The deaths at the Battle of Hogwarts would haunt Harry forever." This adds further depth to Harry's character, to me, and strengthens his links with Snape, character-wise.
Totally agree with this.

Must have been very entertaining watching that whole Twitter exchange unfold, Yoana!

Everything JKR said lines up with what I already felt about Snape, and her success in creating such a complex and conflicted character, so as you can imagine, I was rather pleased. And fascinated by the relationship an author has with their own characters!

Old December 1st, 2015, 5:30 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
Everything JKR said lines up with what I already felt about Snape, and her success in creating such a complex and conflicted character, so as you can imagine, I was rather pleased.
I don't know, I think that the fact that Snape's motivation was largely love takes away some of his complexity for me. It's the same thing with Dumbledore, which is why I maintain that Dumbledore wasn't entirely motivated by love but also had ambitions and other motivations which led him to do what he did. It's a matter of taste of course, but I don't find love very compelling as a motivation for a character. It makes sense and it's realistic that people will do crazy things when in love, but I would prefer it if a character's motivation didn't boil down to just that.

It would have been great if Snape first decided to change because of Lily but then also discovered other reasons for why he shouldn't be on the dark side. Yet even this recent Twitter discussion says Snape never had any idealistic motivations.

I respect his desire to redeem himself but love as a drive force just isn't very interesting to me. Voldemort seems like a much more interesting character.

Old December 1st, 2015, 6:37 pm
Renegade

Quote:
No, what I meant was, if an author managed to stir debate, let alone long-lasting and heated debate, of their books, they did well as an author, because if there's nothing to analyse and argue about, if everything is clear-cut and there's no room for interpretation, it can't be a very good book IMO.

As for Snape, I think it's a matter of interpretation and you're just as right about him as I am and as JKR is. He's a literary character and as such belong to each reader and I believe there are no wrong interpretations. I haven't always believed that but I do now. Reading and making sense of stories and characters for one's own pleasure and fun is such an individual thing because we're all so different, coming from different backgrounds and experiences. I don't think there's such a thing as a wrong interpretation of a character, and the more interpretations there are, the greater depth there is to a character.
We're good, my friend. It's okay to think differently.

August 28, 2013

Old December 2nd, 2015, 1:30 am
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
I don't know, I think that the fact that Snape's motivation was largely love takes away some of his complexity for me. It's the same thing with Dumbledore, which is why I maintain that Dumbledore wasn't entirely motivated by love but also had ambitions and other motivations which led him to do what he did. It's a matter of taste of course, but I don't find love very compelling as a motivation for a character. It makes sense and it's realistic that people will do crazy things when in love, but I would prefer it if a character's motivation didn't boil down to just that.

It would have been great if Snape first decided to change because of Lily but then also discovered other reasons for why he shouldn't be on the dark side. Yet even this recent Twitter discussion says Snape never had any idealistic motivations.

I respect his desire to redeem himself but love as a drive force just isn't very interesting to me. Voldemort seems like a much more interesting character.
I agree with this. It's hard to believe after 17 years Snape is still purely driven by love and guilt. I prefer to see him as more nuanced, and I find nothing in the text that dismisses that notion.

But I've seen this elsewhere, too: JKR said "Snape didn’t die for ‘ideals’. He died in an attempt to expiate his own guilt," but does this mean Snape wasn't also driven by or committed to bigger idealogy? Meaning foremost he died to expiate his guilt, but he could also have been motivated by 'the cause'?

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old December 6th, 2015, 11:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
Everything JKR said lines up with what I already felt about Snape, and her success in creating such a complex and conflicted character, so as you can imagine, I was rather pleased. And fascinated by the relationship an author has with their own characters!
Snap!!! But you knew that.

It was good to hear JKR's comments after all this time.

"he loved her for nearly all of his life, from the time they were children." ~ Harry Potter

"To err is human; to forgive, divine." ~ Alexander Pope

Last edited by TreacleTartlet; December 6th, 2015 at 11:23 pm.
Old January 9th, 2016, 10:26 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
I'd put it down as guilt instead of love. Both Snape and Dumbledore had to live with the fact that they were responsible for the death of someone they cared about. That sort of thing can scar you for a lifetime. And these guys were not the type to go get therapy either.

Old January 14th, 2016, 1:43 pm
First Year

Alan Rickman has died at the age of 69

Old January 14th, 2016, 5:57 pm

This is ********. And a few days after Bowie too, at the same age and from the same cause! This is a horrible month

Old January 14th, 2016, 7:16 pm

OMG NOOO!! Wow what a shock, first Bowie now Snape what the heck is going on ? Both gone way too young . RIP Professor.

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old January 14th, 2016, 8:47 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

It is heartening to see that however divided the fandom may be over Severus Snape, it's not divided over the loss of Alan Rickman.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies