Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Little Questions Answered v.21

Old August 20th, 2014, 8:36 pm
First Year

Re: Little Questions Answered v.21

Maybe it's as simple as the using the bathroom thing...

It's never really mentioned when they shower or go to the bathroom but we know they have to be doing it, lol.

Food is just as necessary.

Old August 22nd, 2014, 5:56 pm
Suteki da ne

Well, perhaps, but we know that there are plenty of bathrooms in Hogwarts, and that they are used, so we don't need to know every time someone uses them, but we do hear of, for example, Harry having a bath or Hermione nipping to the loo

However, we hear nothing of where the Hogwarts food actually comes from, and it's nice to discuss it beyond some kind of "a wizard/house elf did it" handwave.

I don't think it's difficult for either Hogwarts or individual families to buy or otherwise get hold of food, it just depends on whether they buy a bit and transfigure it into enough for everyone, or that they buy enough in the firstplace...

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old August 23rd, 2014, 12:49 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
Well, perhaps, but we know that there are plenty of bathrooms in Hogwarts, and that they are used, so we don't need to know every time someone uses them, but we do hear of, for example, Harry having a bath or Hermione nipping to the loo

However, we hear nothing of where the Hogwarts food actually comes from, and it's nice to discuss it beyond some kind of "a wizard/house elf did it" handwave.

I don't think it's difficult for either Hogwarts or individual families to buy or otherwise get hold of food, it just depends on whether they buy a bit and transfigure it into enough for everyone, or that they buy enough in the firstplace...
Also, it seems to be inferred that how the food ends up tasting also depends on the skill of the preparer in the art of cooking. So even though magic can multiply amounts of food and aid in quicker preparation, you still need to know how, for example, to put together a good pudding, not just have the ingredients on hand.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old August 27th, 2014, 2:00 am
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Also, it seems to be inferred that how the food ends up tasting also depends on the skill of the preparer in the art of cooking. So even though magic can multiply amounts of food and aid in quicker preparation, you still need to know how, for example, to put together a good pudding, not just have the ingredients on hand.
I suppose we could ultimately decide that Snape might be the best magical cook. Your comment sounds exactly like something he would say about potion making.

Old August 27th, 2014, 4:46 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by canismajoris View Post
I suppose we could ultimately decide that Snape might be the best magical cook. Your comment sounds exactly like something he would say about potion making.
....kind of scary to be compared to how Snape might talk...still, there's a fair bit of chemistry involved in how a meal turns out!

Old September 18th, 2014, 10:11 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Did it ever say what the snatchers did with the people that they caught. I know that the trio were taken to the Malfoy mansion ,but what about the rest ?

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old September 18th, 2014, 10:36 pm
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
Did it ever say what the snatchers did with the people that they caught. I know that the trio were taken to the Malfoy mansion ,but what about the rest ?
They took them to the Ministry, or at least that's what Fenrir alluded to when his snatchers caught the trio. He didn't want to take Harry to the Ministry, he said, because "the Ministry will take all the credit and we won't get a lookin'."

I'm paraphrasing because I'm not at home at thus don't have the book handy.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old September 26th, 2014, 9:15 pm
Zonko's Employee

Why didn't Molly go to the Quidditch World Cup game?

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Old September 26th, 2014, 11:14 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

They gave her ticket to Harry. Or Hermione.

Plus, someone needed to go to Diagon Alley to get everyone's school supplies. And stay home and feed the chickens, etc.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old October 5th, 2014, 5:29 am
Second Year

She used that time to practice dueling for her eventual battle with Bellatrix and other dark witches and wizards. That's what my Mom did when she was alone.

Old October 15th, 2014, 9:43 pm

Do we ever find out what happened to Grip Hook the Goblin after the trio's raid on Gringotts ?

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old October 16th, 2014, 2:06 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Do we ever find out what happened to Grip Hook the Goblin after the trio's raid on Gringotts ?
I don't recall that he was mentioned again after he took the sword and mingled with the group of goblins confronting the trio. In the movie he's shown as killed by Voldemort, still gripping the sword....but there's nothing in the books as far as I could find. I don't recall anything being mentioned on Pottermore, so far anyway.

Old October 26th, 2014, 4:10 am

In GoF Harry uses a curse that split Cedric's school bag open do we ever see where he learned that curse?

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old October 26th, 2014, 4:26 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
In GoF Harry uses a curse that split Cedric's school bag open do we ever see where he learned that curse?
He used "diffindo". It might have been something learned in class.

Old October 26th, 2014, 4:50 am
Zonko's Employee

It could also be something that the kids pass amongst each other because you can have some fun with it, just like muggle kids learn their various tricks from each other.

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Old November 1st, 2014, 12:53 pm
Always Indy's Girl

Do we know why Harry was never questioned about Cedric's death? Or was he questioned? Why there was no inquiry or case about the murder of a Hogwarts student? If there had been a trial, and questions asked as I think there should have been, then perhaps the truth about Voldemort could have come out sooner. I wonder why no one, even Cedric's parents never asked about what happened to their son.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old November 1st, 2014, 2:49 pm
Renegade

Harry met with the Diggorys the morning after Cedric's death and told them how he died.

As Fudge refused to believe what Harry, Dumbledore and Snape told him the night it happened, the Ministry wasn't going to mount any inquiries. Umbridge told Harry in OotP that "Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident!"

The Ministry of Magic was one corrupt outfit during the series.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old November 1st, 2014, 4:13 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

It was a surprise to me that no one ever blamed Harry for Cedric's death. Wouldn't that have been more plausible than the whole trumped-up Dementor charge?

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old November 1st, 2014, 4:27 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
Harry met with the Diggorys the morning after Cedric's death and told them how he died.

As Fudge refused to believe what Harry, Dumbledore and Snape told him the night it happened, the Ministry wasn't going to mount any inquiries. Umbridge told Harry in OotP that "Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident!"

The Ministry of Magic was one corrupt outfit during the series.
I think that was the main reason - the Ministry couldn't hold Harry responsible, because that would mean admitting that Cedric was murdered. That would mean a big investigation - they couldn't just toss the most famous teenager in the country in prison without a trial, as they had done to Sirius. Questions would be raised; the community would be divided.

The easiest thing for the Ministry to do was to pass Cedric's death off as an accident, and Harry as disturbed. Fudge wanted as little fuss as possible and discrediting Harry as unstable was easier than discrediting him as a murderer. It would also be harder to explain why Dumbledore was defending an accused murderer.

Corrupt indeed - Scrimgeour was the best of a bad lot during the war.
Glad that Pottermore is confirming
Spoiler: show
that Kingsley sorted out a lot of the corruption.

ETA- Umbridge's plan was not for a trumped-up charge. Her plan was for the Dementors to kiss Harry, remove his soul, leave him worse than dead and unable to talk about Voldemort's return. The underage magic charge was the next best thing.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.

Last edited by FurryDice; November 1st, 2014 at 4:33 pm.
Old November 1st, 2014, 10:47 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
That would mean a big investigation - they couldn't just toss the most famous teenager in the country in prison without a trial, as they had done to Sirius.
Sirius did not have a trial? He was the only wizard around when magic was used to kill 13 muggles and Pater Pettigrew (apparently for P.P.). There might not have been enough evidence to convict him of the deaths of Lily and James (after all, the only witness who could say Sirius was the secret-keeper who must have betrayed them was a werewolf!), but there seemed to have been enough for those others, and as often happens in the real world, once you convict someone for a few murders, you close the other cases for which that person fits the bill, even if you do not have enough evidence to convict that person.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone