Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

Old November 14th, 2016, 12:35 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

I'm not enthusiastic about Johnny Depp. He phones it in a little too often when playing quirky characters. But he could surprise me I guess.

Old November 15th, 2016, 5:23 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
This is going to be great! I heard there are 5 movies planned. That would be fantastic. This little snippet gives some insight into the planned storyline if you have not seen it. http://screenrant.com/fantastic-beas...e-grindelwald/
This link gave me heart failure. This could be amazing or terribly tragic. I'm so ready.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old November 18th, 2016, 5:14 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Is there a new thread for the movie now that it's released?
Didn't see one, so gonna post here.

I saw it tonight and I can't wait for everyone to see it. I have no idea how they are going to carry this over several movies, I guess I can read the screenrant link now.

Wow. It's good. Like really good. Like better than the HP movies good - I think so anyway. And I think it's because it's written by JKR. For those who didn't like the script/play, this will cleanse your palate.

This is a MAJOR MAJOR spoiler, so don't read if you don't want to know.

Spoiler: show
The Grindlewald/Dumbledore/Ariana connection. Wow. By the end of the movie you get what happened to Ariana. I mean just wow. The idea that Grindlewald would have seen that power of an Obscurous (? I forget the phenomenon's name already...) and wanted to try and use it for power. That after Ariana's death he would go seek another like her to use for himself! Wow!

Old November 18th, 2016, 7:55 pm
Fourth Year

A.
Maze.
Ing.

OMG. I LOVED the movie. It was such a treat to get to be experiencing something from the Potter Universe for the first time.

It is a great movie that can introduce people to the Potter Universe without having any major Potter knowledge. I felt it was really well done and can't wait to see it again just to get my names and facts straight!

As for your spoiler... I KNOW!!! I totally thought about that right before I fell asleep! So glad I wasn't the only one to think about it.

Old November 19th, 2016, 12:20 am
Member of the Order

I need a lot more of the North American Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

the Four Houses:    

For Chadwick, an intelligent but often temperamental boy, it was the Thunderbird that can create storms as it flies. For argumentative but fiercely loyal Webster, it was the Wampus, a magical panther-like creature that was fast, strong and almost impossible to kill. For Isolt, it was, of course, the Horned Serpent that she still visited and with which she felt a strange sense of kinship.

When asked what his favourite creature was, James was at a loss. The only No-Maj in the family was unable to consort with the magical creatures the others had begun to know well. Finally, he named the Pukwudgie, because the stories his wife told of curmudgeonly William always made him laugh.

Thus were the four houses of Ilvermorny created, and while the four originators did not yet know it, much of their own characters leaked into the houses they had so light-heartedly named.

Marble statues of Isolt and James flank the front doors of Ilvermorny Castle. The doors open onto a circular room topped by a glass cupola. A wooden balcony runs around the room one floor above. Otherwise the space is empty except for four enormous wooden carvings representing the houses: the Horned Serpent, the panther Wampus, the Thunderbird and the Pukwudgie.

While the rest of the school watches from the circular balcony overhead, new students file into the round entrance hall. They stand around the walls and, one by one, are called to stand on the symbol of the Gordian Knot set into the middle of the stone floor. In silence the school then waits for the enchanted carvings to react. If the Horned Serpent wants the student, the crystal set into its forehead will light up. If the Wampus wants the student, it roars. The Thunderbird signifies its approval by beating its wings, and the Pukwudgie will raise its arrow into the air.

Should more than one carving signify its wish to include the student in its house, the choice rests with the student. Very rarely – perhaps once a decade – a student is offered a place in all four houses. Seraphina Picquery, President of MACUSA 1920 - 1928, was the only witch of her generation so honoured, and she chose Horned Serpent.

The Sorting Ceremony is not the only major difference between Hogwarts and Ilvermorny (though in so many ways the schools resemble each other). Once students have been allocated a house they are led into a large hall where they select (or are selected by) a wand. Until the 1965 repeal of Rappaport’s Law, which enforced very strict conformity with the Statute of Secrecy, no child was allowed a wand until they arrived at Ilvermorny. Moreover, wands had to be left at Ilvermorny during vacations and only upon attaining seventeen years of age was the witch or wizard legally allowed to carry a wand outside school.

The robes of Ilvermorny are blue and cranberry. The colours honour Isolt and James: blue because it was Isolt’s favourite colour and because she had wished to be in Ravenclaw house as a child; cranberry in honour of James’s love of cranberry pie. All Ilvermorny students’ robes are fastened by a gold Gordian Knot, in memory of the brooch Isolt found in the ruins of the original Ilvermorny cottage.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old November 19th, 2016, 7:48 am
Head of the Dept of
Magical Fundraising

Saw it yesterday and loved being back in the Potterverse but found the plot a bit thin - when I came out I could recall specific scenes but wasn't very engaged with the story.
Having said that I loved Grindelwald using polyjuice potion - with a mullet like that so would I - his hair looked as though it had been cut by a lawnmower

A second viewing is called for.

Old November 19th, 2016, 8:42 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post

This is a MAJOR MAJOR spoiler, so don't read if you don't want to know.

The Grindlewald/Dumbledore/Ariana connection. Wow. By the end of the movie you get what happened to Ariana. I mean just wow. The idea that Grindlewald would have seen that power of an Obscurous (? I forget the phenomenon's name already...) and wanted to try and use it for power. That after Ariana's death he would go seek another like her to use for himself! Wow!
I know I know I know!!! I totally want to talk about that too!!!

I strongly suspect that the end point for the series is going to be the duel in 1945.

I loved the way JKR misdirected the audience, leading us to believe we were going to be doing a series about magical creatures, and then BAM! Suddenly the series appears to be veering into Dumbledore's tragedy, and Grindelwald's search for power. I could not be more excited about the direction I suspect this is heading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundungus Fletc View Post
Saw it yesterday and loved being back in the Potterverse but found the plot a bit thin - when I came out I could recall specific scenes but wasn't very engaged with the story.
Having said that I loved Grindelwald using polyjuice potion - with a mullet like that so would I - his hair looked as though it had been cut by a lawnmower

A second viewing is called for.
I would encourage a second viewing. (I know I'm going to be doing one). I think the plot looks thin on the surface, and I was not deeply engaged during the first hour. But...

With the revelation of the Obscurus/Obscurial plotline, it started to become apparent that this story was really more about Ariana, her brother, and Grindelwald - and the directions that Albus and Gellert took after her death. That's when I really got drawn in and found the story strangely moving. I think JKR was very clever about hiding that story in plain sight behind the Scamander plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
This is going to be great! I heard there are 5 movies planned. That would be fantastic. This little snippet gives some insight into the planned storyline if you have not seen it. http://screenrant.com/fantastic-beas...e-grindelwald/
Have you seen it yet, Wick?

I just got back from the film, and the end point given in the article is exactly the end point I was expecting when I finished the film.

I am so excited!!!

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; November 19th, 2016 at 8:55 pm.
Old November 19th, 2016, 9:52 pm
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Saw it last night. And I really enjoyed it.

It felt different, but different in a good way, and I am looking forward to watching it again sometime.

I'll start with a downside - the reveal of Grindewald at the end felt cheap and simplistic. Scooby Doo comes to mind. Hopefully his time impersonating Graves is given more explaination in upcoming films, because it seemed like a tacked on afterthought in its execution. I'm about to read the script book, so maybe there's more info in that?

But I loved the Obscurus storyline, even more so when I read about the Ariana connection! It felt so right in the context of the Harry Potter world and didn't feel like something that was just made up - the number of times they've talked about magic exploding out of young kids in the books, it makes sense that something would happen if a kid was actively suppressing that.

I did have a conversation afterwards with friends about how extreme your suppression would have to be to create an Obscurus, thinking of what Harry had been though. I took away from the movie that you had to 1) know that you were a wizard and 2) actively be preventing magic. While things happened all around Harry and the Dursleys weren't happy about it, Harry never actually believed he was a wizard and he didn't try to stop anything happen - sometimes he didn't even get that he was causing the magic, just thinking that "odd things happen to him" (It's been a while since I've read PS, so I can't recall what's actually said about his childhood).

While some may be disappointed, I was happy with the bait and switch of the 'lost beasts' plot turning into a 'Grindewald wanting to expose the wizarding world' plot. I wasn't 100% sold on a movie that just followed beasts (although some of the lost beasts storyline is entertaining), and was also concerned about this "second salem" storyline and how it would fit in, but Jo spun her magic and made a really thoughful and entertaining string of plots that manage to piece together nicely.

As for the beasts, I was sad I didn't recognise many, other than the obvious ones (Nifflers - which were awesome! - bowtruckles, etc.) I need to read through Fantastic Beasts to see if I spot any I missed, but I would have though that there would have been more of the beasts in that book, since the books meant to be about the travels Newt was currently on. All of the animals were beautifully rendered though.

Moving forward, I am exciting and nervous. I still don't see how they are going to make three more before the finale in 1945. But I have faith in Jo. She managed to make the first one from nothing, afterall. But I am also concerned that each movie is going to be called "Fantastic Beasts and...". I felt that the beasts angle was covered sufficiently by this film and that going forward they could focus on other aspects of the wizarding world. Also wondering how they are going to bring all the main characters to each of the future movie's cities. Well, I've got a few years to find out I guess....

That's some initial thoughts for now. But overall generally feeling positive about the film.

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old November 19th, 2016, 10:53 pm
Sixth Year

I also saw it and loved it. Were there problems? Yep. But it was better than I thought it would be. I went in kind of iffy about the whole thing. I'm going to go see it again tonight.

The thing I'm happiest about is:
Grindelwald. I remember when Albus Dumbledore's name was first dropped in the trailer. I remember someone said that the people working on the project said something along the lines of, "Don't expect to see previous characters much," or something like that. Then the name Grindelwald was dropped in another trailer. And then it turns out that Graves, the man heard in the first trailer saying, "I wonder, what makes Albus Dumbledore so fond of you?" was actually Grindelwald all along. So I loved that. It ties the old to the new. Without Grindelwald, I honestly wouldn't have cared that much about the plot. I like the new characters, but I don't have any kind of feeling for them yet. Grindelwald being a main focus was fabulous.

The thing I'm least happiest about is:
Grindelwald. The way he looked specifically. He looks like he went into Walmart and bought a ton of bleach hair color and styling gel. I mean like what? He's supposed to be really good-looking. No offense to Johnny Depp or anything. I always pictured him as someone others couldn't help but think was handsome. But maybe I'm just being shallow. I'm still not over Voldemort not having red eyes either, or Harry's eyes, so I guess this doesn't surprise me.

I'm also entirely convinced that Ariana
was, in fact, being consumed by an Obscurus.
. It's the first thing I thought of when I heard about it. It fits. It might also explain why Albus' mother did not want to take her to St. Mungos.
Because look how well things turned out for Credence.

That being said, for the future films:
Please don't mess up a much younger Albus Dumbledore. Please. He's my favorite character. Get his temperament right. No more GOBLET OF FIYAHH!

Please?

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old November 20th, 2016, 3:52 am
Member of the Order

I can easily see a future storyline involving a few new young heroes from the American school.
Indeed, we really need to see what occurs in a more modern era of magic on this side of the pond.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old November 20th, 2016, 4:51 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeberanBlack View Post
I'm not enthusiastic about Johnny Depp. He phones it in a little too often when playing quirky characters. But he could surprise me I guess.
I'm not either. I liked him in some of his older stuff. But lately, not so much.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Old November 20th, 2016, 5:12 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I actually got to see this today, wasn't expecting to actually. Everything that everyone is mentioning under spoiler tags, I'm really looking forward to that storyline and hopefully they play it out well. I was a little skeptical at first when we heard of some precious characters be thrown around in previews and what not. I was actually quite surprised by this, I wasn't expecting to be this excited about it, but it really blew me away. The magical beasts were all simply breathtaking in my opinion. Just a tidbit here, but zology is my major, and I really enjoyed the work Newt was striving for. I'm definitely going to need to see it again, and I plan on reading the script book as well even through I hadn't planned to before.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old November 20th, 2016, 7:36 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
As for the beasts, I was sad I didn't recognise many, other than the obvious ones (Nifflers - which were awesome! - bowtruckles, etc.) I need to read through Fantastic Beasts to see if I spot any I missed, but I would have though that there would have been more of the beasts in that book, since the books meant to be about the travels Newt was currently on. All of the animals were beautifully rendered though.
Now reading through the script book and cross referencing with the Beasts textbook, I need to eat my words on this. I think the only animals that weren't in the book was the Thunderbird and Swooping Evil, whereas I couldn't remember the Erumphent (which I should have because of DH) or Occamy or Murtlap (again, this was in OotP).

I think I need to re-read the books - I'm losing my HP knowledge!

Edit: For anyone else that is interested to read the script for the deleted scenes, they aren't in there. It's not the actual shooting script, its the script edited to match the final edit of the film.

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!

Last edited by ArryGrotter; November 20th, 2016 at 7:48 am.
Old November 20th, 2016, 2:11 pm
Second Year

The Graphorns looked alien. They seemed like Star Wars or Avatar creatures.

Did anyone noticed Giants in this movie? There are 2 of them. One is in the background when we are first introduced to the MACUSA'S main entrance. And another in that goblin bar scene, where a house elf serves a giant a drink. At least, I think they're giants. I was wondering what they actually are. Giants? Trolls? Something else? And how can they walk in the streets of New York with all the No-Maj crowds?

Old November 20th, 2016, 7:09 pm
Curse Breaker

I saw the film yesterday with my 8 year-old son, who has become quite the Harry Potter fan. It actually was a very appropriate story for the time: the arrogance of ignorance vs. the "humility" of inquisitiveness. The themes were classic Rowling in many ways, including the danger of oppressing young minds with fear, abuse, isolation, etc. And, of course, the running two-fold variant of the Pandora's box motif was cool: 1) once things are let out of the box, then it's difficult to undo them and, 2) the things in the box actually do belong somewhere (even if not "here"), and that the box should never be more than a transport in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
I'm definitely going to need to see it again, and I plan on reading the script book as well even through I hadn't planned to before.
Ugh. Are they not going to novelize the script? Scripts are no better at being novels than novels are at being scripts! Telling this story properly in the written medium would take quite a bit of adaptation, certainly to the "narrative" and (I suspect) even to the plot.

Oh! One thing that I forgot to add!

Steve Moffat asked JKR to write a Doctor Who episode some years back. She declined: or so we thought! This was basically what a Doctor Who / Harry Potter crossover would look like. Indeed, the extent to which Eddie Redmayne was borrowing Matt Smith's presentation of the Doctor was almost disconcerting!

Oh! One thing that I forgot to add!

Steve Moffat asked JKR to write a Doctor Who episode some years back. She declined: or so we thought! This was basically what a Doctor Who / Harry Potter crossover would look like. Indeed, the extent to which Eddie Redmayne was borrowing Matt Smith's presentation of the Doctor was almost disconcerting!

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old November 21st, 2016, 2:48 am
Zonko's Employee

I've seen the movie twice already, I really like it! Not as good as the original HP story of course but pretty fun and lovely in how it expands the world and is so immersive. I felt the film was a little underwhelming and low key at times and needed more energy, I felt it was a little slow in places and the main story feels a little pointless but I expect it's because they are setting up the sequels. I liked the music a lot.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old November 21st, 2016, 8:40 pm
Fourth Year

I was quite disappointed with this movie. The characters were nice but a bit blah compared to the ones in HP. I was bored during most of the scenes where Newt was chasing some creature, though he was cute with the way he was taking care of them. Re plot: It seemed like JKR had many ideas and yet couldn't sort out which ones she wanted to use so it ended up being a kitchen-sink type of thing.

I do think the sequels will be exciting especially if they bring in more references to HP. But I'm skeptical about there being five movies. Three would have sufficed, IMO. I guess it depends where it's all going.

JKR has already received criticism over casting Johny Depp who is accused (or maybe even convicted?) of abusing his wife. I understand separating the man from the work but I still think that someone with JKR's convictions should have taken a stand and cast someone else. Surely there are plenty of other actors who could pull off that role.

Overall, I feel like these will be great movies for people who want to know more about Dumbledore and his family. But I hope the future movies will not rest entirely upon the HP laurels.

Old November 21st, 2016, 10:00 pm
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

So, I watched the movie yesterday. I was honestly disappointed to find out that JKR had written the movie itself this time, given the 'tightness' of the plot and attention to detail was as poor in this one as in the other movies, and considerably below the level of her books.

It was a very entertaining movie, though, in my opinion. I thought a few details could have been cleaned up to make it great and not as irksome to me.

Such as, come on, you're going to rely on randomly dousing people with trace amounts of an Obliviatory substance to precisely remove the exact amount of memories needed? And do wizards not themselves use any of the New York water supply? I suppose it's possible with their ability to conjure water, but it seems awfully risky nonetheless.

Also, the plot leaves us a little confused as to the fate of the real Graves. We have to assume that this was polyjuice potion, right? But was any of the real Graves in the movie at all? If not, where is he and what is he really like?

My final quibble is that, and I accept that there are differences between the 1940s USA and the modern Ministry in Britain, but how could it be acceptable to go directly from an individual interrogation to the death penalty without any proper trial? This was an extreme stretch for me to accept while watching.

I also was hoping the whole movie, given that Newt had brought up the differing philosophies on wizard/muggle relationships between the USA and the British Isles, that he would suggest Queenie and Jacob elope to Britain with him at the end.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old November 22nd, 2016, 1:23 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I have some questions, but I dont want to spoil people. I asked my questions in another Potter community, but honestly was not satisfied with the replies I got, as I am when I post my questions here,some replies were just mugglish and absurd.Is there a thread to post Fantastic Beasts questions ,without spoiling people ? Thanks !

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old November 22nd, 2016, 3:14 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
given the 'tightness' of the plot and attention to detail was as poor in this one as in the other movies, and considerably below the level of her books.
That is a difference between good cinematic storytelling and good (or at least acceptable) literary storytelling. Because pictures paint thousands of words, novels must resort to thousands of words to paint a backdrop. Many of the details are absolutely unnecessary for communicating the story. However, they are necessary for the narrative. (Moreover, novels often are criticized for spending too much time on such details, as they can bury the plot and story!)

Moreover, those details were there. You saw what everyone was wearing, exactly what motions they did when casting spells, exactly what creatures looked like and how they behaved in much, much greater detail than any book could have hoped to offer. Those are the details that must be in a cinematic narrative.

Like all good storytellers, Rowling uses what is necessary to tell her story. She no more set out to "document" a false world than did George R. R. Martin: instead, Rowling, Martin, Roddenbery, and others like them created fake worlds to provide appropriate backdrops for the stories that they wanted to tell. This was a very Rowlingesque story, and she did a good job of creating the backdrop necessary for it on screen.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies