Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Comments on: Technical Issues

Old August 6th, 2011, 9:33 pm
First Year

Possible glitch in owls and emails

Thank you for the welcome message I received just a moment ago. I just wanted to let you know that I received that message as well as my validation email twice. I don't know if that's a weird glitch that happened to my account or something you might want to look at, I just thought you should be aware. I tried to send an owl back but the forums informed me that "CoS Staff" could not receive owls, so that's why I'm posting here.

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2011, 7:49 pm
Eldest Gruff

Re: Comments on: Technical Issues

That does indeed not sound like it should be. Thank you for letting us know!

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:27 am
Second Year

Hi.
I was trying to upload an image on 'funny HP images' thread, and it prompted me to turn a script on.
Now, all my 'read' threads are bolded along with the unread threads. Even if i click on a thread, and come back to check, it is bolded.
any help?

Old August 8th, 2011, 3:30 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva View Post
Hi.
I was trying to upload an image on 'funny HP images' thread, and it prompted me to turn a script on.
Now, all my 'read' threads are bolded along with the unread threads. Even if i click on a thread, and come back to check, it is bolded.
any help?
I'd suggest logging out, closing your browser and clearing your cache. If that doesn't work, I don't know.

Old August 8th, 2011, 3:52 pm
Second Year

yeah, i think that did it, thanks!

Old August 8th, 2011, 3:54 pm
Eldest Gruff

I've no clue why you needed this script, but if you don't mind loosing the note about which threads got new posts for one time (and if cleaning the cache doesn't work or takes too much time), you could also click Mark Forums Read. The link is located at the top of the forums page.

It will reset all threads as read aka un-bold them. Posts being made afterwards will appear as new posts in your subscriptions again.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old September 26th, 2011, 6:00 pm
The Potions Master

When I'm on Safari on my iPad the reply boxes don't have the slider bar at the right. Very annoying to work around since iPad's done have curser keys. Any idea what the problem is?

Mugglenet.com Editorial: The Flaw in the Plan
Potion notes: noxspell.org

NoxSpell7790 on Pottermore and still Slytherin!
Ebony, Phoenix Feather, 11-3/4" . . . Unyielding

Old September 26th, 2011, 6:29 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrormere View Post
When I'm on Safari on my iPad the reply boxes don't have the slider bar at the right. Very annoying to work around since iPad's done have curser keys. Any idea what the problem is?
An annoying problem and one that seems to exist in all cases of an otherwise scrollable field within pages in the webkit viewport.

Here is the workaround I use:

Press and hold on a visible word in the field and select/highlight that word. Touch and drag the little circle at the end word downward. Keep dragging downward and the selection tool will highlight later words and lines and will start to scroll downwards. You can drag your finger down onto the keyboard and you will slowly but surely make your way down the field, so long as you keep your finger held down.

Update:
In my haste to reply, I forgot to mention that there is in fact a standardized way to scroll within a text box: a two-fingered swipe. The problem is that this conflicts with the pinch/zoom function on standard pages. It only really works on pages that are formatted for mobile where the page width is fixed as the device width and zooming is disabled.You could do this to COS by specifying these meta attributes in the page head, but then everybody would be stuck with tiny text that they couldn't zoom on their devices. The only rreal fix with the current mobile browsers is to have a mobile skin for the site. I don't know what software the forum runs are so i can't say how tough that would be. there is also the chance that you could have a script to make mobile scroll controls (maybe iScroll or something similar).

"Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
— G.K. Chesterton

Last edited by MCDahB; September 26th, 2011 at 7:19 pm. Reason: updated
Old September 26th, 2011, 7:11 pm
The Potions Master

Apparently I've not noticed it on other sites. I've been putting in returns and then erasing them to navigate down, but that doesn't work navigating up--your tip will. Thanks!

Mugglenet.com Editorial: The Flaw in the Plan
Potion notes: noxspell.org

NoxSpell7790 on Pottermore and still Slytherin!
Ebony, Phoenix Feather, 11-3/4" . . . Unyielding

Old September 27th, 2011, 1:31 am
Second Year

Update:
In my haste to reply, I forgot to mention that there is in fact a standardized way to scroll within a text box: a two-fingered swipe. The problem is that this conflicts with the pinch/zoom function on standard pages. It only really works on pages that are formatted for mobile where the page width is fixed as the device width and zooming is disabled.You could do this to COS by specifying these meta attributes in the page head, but then everybody would be stuck with tiny text that they couldn't zoom on their devices. The only rreal fix with the current mobile browsers is to have a mobile skin for the site. I don't know what software the forum runs are so i can't say how tough that would be. there is also the chance that you could have a script to make mobile scroll controls (maybe iScroll or something similar).[/quote]

I've since tried the two-fingered method again on an iPad (at the time I just had my android phone to test on). It actually works pretty if your steady-fingered and might be better for a lot of folks that my highlighting hack.

"Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
— G.K. Chesterton

Old September 27th, 2011, 4:46 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDahB View Post
Update:
In my haste to reply, I forgot to mention that there is in fact a standardized way to scroll within a text box: a two-fingered swipe. The problem is that this conflicts with the pinch/zoom function on standard pages. It only really works on pages that are formatted for mobile where the page width is fixed as the device width and zooming is disabled.You could do this to COS by specifying these meta attributes in the page head, but then everybody would be stuck with tiny text that they couldn't zoom on their devices. The only rreal fix with the current mobile browsers is to have a mobile skin for the site. I don't know what software the forum runs are so i can't say how tough that would be. there is also the chance that you could have a script to make mobile scroll controls (maybe iScroll or something similar).

I've since tried the two-fingered method again on an iPad (at the time I just had my android phone to test on). It actually works pretty if your steady-fingered and might be better for a lot of folks that my highlighting hack.
I prefer the two-fingered method on my iPhone. Not that I read CoS too often on my iPhone, but it's not too bad when I'm on the bus or something.

Actually, what's kind of annoying on my iPhone is that the SPOILER tags don't work the same way on my iPhone. On an ordinary machine, they open right in place. On my iPhone, they open up, but then the browser (Safari) scrolls up to the top of the page, and then I have to scroll all the way back down to where I was.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat

Last edited by BrianTung; September 27th, 2011 at 6:00 am.
Old September 27th, 2011, 5:37 am
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

As this isn't exactly about CoS Forums, we could perhaps move over to Computers with this discussion.

Old October 12th, 2011, 4:13 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

I'm having difficulties getting an animated GIF to upload to my sigpic and remain animated. I'm having the same difficulty with uploading it to my albums. The GIF is originally from Blingee, but it remains animated on my Desktop.

Any thoughts? I know other people manage to get animated GIFs into their sigs, and I've done it before. But right now it's just going into a static image on me.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old October 12th, 2011, 5:00 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

It's probably too big. I had to take some frames out of mine for it to work.

Old October 12th, 2011, 5:15 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
It's probably too big. I had to take some frames out of mine for it to work.
Thanks! It worked.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old September 15th, 2012, 6:03 pm
Registered Animagus

Got a bug on this site... when I get a new 'owl', and read it, then go back to the main page of the forum, it gives me the pop-up that I have a 'new owl' and it is the same one....

Happened twice in two days now...

Old September 17th, 2012, 8:56 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Got a bug on this site... when I get a new 'owl', and read it, then go back to the main page of the forum, it gives me the pop-up that I have a 'new owl' and it is the same one....

Happened twice in two days now...
I think I ran into that bug some time ago as well. I was on an older computer and due to the way that they had their internet/cookies (my best guess anyway) set up, I had to refresh my page to get it to read right. The darn thing not only showed 'new owl' when there weren't any... it would also not post the posts I just made, until I refreshed the page .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old September 20th, 2012, 12:15 am
Hogwarts Graduate

you were so wonderful getting rid of an annoying survey that I kept getting, do you think you could look into a pop-up ad that keeps popping up here. it's always in the lower right hand corner, sometimes it's an ad for Amazon, sometimes it's an ad for something else. It shows up elsewhere, but you are wonderful, amazing people who know how to fix computer glitches.
Thank you.

Old September 20th, 2012, 4:17 am
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

I've never seen anything like that here. Anyone else who get that pop up?

Old September 20th, 2012, 4:32 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Nope, but I've run into a redirect before. Had it happen on Photobucket as well. First times were in 08' (here on the forums and on Photobucket), and it happened to me again recently (Photobucket). Thank god for a good firewall and antivirus setup, it stopped it cold. But back when it first happened in 08', it redirected me to a fake antivirus site.

Have run into similar survey issues on other sites before though. They're very annoying . As for pop up ads... no issues with those.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; September 20th, 2012 at 4:41 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services