Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Romantic moments & that scene in Deathly Hallows

Old April 10th, 2011, 10:51 pm
Second Year

Re: Romantic moments & that scene in Deathly Hallows Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrkkKOqP9so

Is it just editing by this brilliant woman (Hanna), or were Rupert and Emma actually this brilliant with their expressions!? :O :O

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2011, 11:12 pm
Third Year

I'm not one to troll YouTube for fanmade videos, but this gal does have quite a knack for stringing together some of the most poignant and emotional scenes between Ron and Hermione. She made another Ron/Hermione video back in the fall with DH2 scenes with many wonderful callbacks to the previous films.

Folks who are upset at how Ron and Hermione are portrayed in the films ought to take a look and watch these. As the previous poster said, it does make you appreciate the acting of Rupes and Emma in the few scenes they are given to further the romantic plotline. What I like most of all is the editing of Malfoy Manor - this gal's editing in both her videos creates so much more tension and emotion than the actual films.

The filming of Malfoy Manor is still probably my number one gripe when it comes to DH1...

"We spent time here, we made friends here. That’s a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, it’s bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after we’re gone. Maybe we’ll see our kids go here.
That’s the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long you’re away from it, there’s always a way back."
Old April 11th, 2011, 12:10 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocoron View Post

Is it just editing by this brilliant woman (Hanna), or were Rupert and Emma actually this brilliant with their expressions!? :O :O
That was really very good--a nice collection of their moments.

Old April 11th, 2011, 12:17 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBinns View Post
I'm not one to troll YouTube for fanmade videos, but this gal does have quite a knack for stringing together some of the most poignant and emotional scenes between Ron and Hermione. She made another Ron/Hermione video back in the fall with DH2 scenes with many wonderful callbacks to the previous films.

Folks who are upset at how Ron and Hermione are portrayed in the films ought to take a look and watch these. As the previous poster said, it does make you appreciate the acting of Rupes and Emma in the few scenes they are given to further the romantic plotline. What I like most of all is the editing of Malfoy Manor - this gal's editing in both her videos creates so much more tension and emotion than the actual films.

The filming of Malfoy Manor is still probably my number one gripe when it comes to DH1...
and that is a very bad thing as there is no way a girl sitting at home on her computer should be able to make the Malfoy Manor scene more tense. It should have been made correctly by the film makers who are on very large money.

Ron's behavior in the Malfoy Manor was the reason Hermione forgave him as he not only offered himself to Bellatrix in place of Hermione but he also screamed her name the entire time unable to control the pain he was feeling. None of that happened in the movie and as a result it won't really make sense why Hermione forgives Ron in DHP2.

Old April 11th, 2011, 12:25 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherD View Post
That was really very good--a nice collection of their moments.
Aww. I loved this. Now imagine the kiss added in after DH 2 comes out!

Old April 11th, 2011, 6:22 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCat1 View Post
Ron's behavior in the Malfoy Manor was the reason Hermione forgave him as he not only offered himself to Bellatrix in place of Hermione but he also screamed her name the entire time unable to control the pain he was feeling. None of that happened in the movie and as a result it won't really make sense why Hermione forgives Ron in DHP2.
You´re free to make your own interpretation, but I cannot agree with your reasoning on Hermione forgiving Ron. People don´t neccessarily need a reason to forgive someone, nor do I think what happened at Malfoy Manor was the reason Hermione forgave him. Often all you need to forgive is time, time to get over your own anger or disappointment. Hermione seems to me like a person who takes a long time to get over it when she is seriously angry. Or you need a situation/crisis which makes you re-focus your attention and forget your anger, like the fact that they are caught by the snatchers.

Old April 11th, 2011, 9:07 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan74 View Post
You´re free to make your own interpretation, but I cannot agree with your reasoning on Hermione forgiving Ron. People don´t neccessarily need a reason to forgive someone, nor do I think what happened at Malfoy Manor was the reason Hermione forgave him. Often all you need to forgive is time, time to get over your own anger or disappointment. Hermione seems to me like a person who takes a long time to get over it when she is seriously angry. Or you need a situation/crisis which makes you re-focus your attention and forget your anger, like the fact that they are caught by the snatchers.
I agree that some people don't need a huge gesture to happen before the accept to forgive someone.

How could Hermione not forgive Ron? He was back, he was sorry. He saved Harry's life and destroyed a Horcrux How could she hate him forever? She can't help but forgive him because... he's Ron, y'know?

It's a very natural process.

But I have noticed that Hermione started to take it easy on him after he revealed he was too ashamed to go back to the Burrow.

She doesn't react when Ron snorts at her suggestion that the very ordinary house belongs to the eccentric Lovegood's and she doesn't bite like she normally does when Ron corrects her about their home looking like a chess piece rook.

Also having to put on a united front against Harry when he became obsessed over the Hallows meant it was just like old times, like when they worked together to persuade him to teach DADA and in HBP when they didn't believe Malfoy was a Death Eater and Harry did.

Like the above poster said it happened over time.

In the film they put the emphasis on Ron's speech to show how sorry Ron was and how Hermione is slowly won over. There's still some festering resentment, but it's not as fierce as it is in the book and it's resolved quite naturally (again like in the book) without taking up too much screen time. I think they got it across fine.

Old April 12th, 2011, 11:26 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_MT View Post
I agree that some people don't need a huge gesture to happen before the accept to forgive someone.

How could Hermione not forgive Ron? He was back, he was sorry. He saved Harry's life and destroyed a Horcrux How could she hate him forever? She can't help but forgive him because... he's Ron, y'know?

It's a very natural process.

But I have noticed that Hermione started to take it easy on him after he revealed he was too ashamed to go back to the Burrow.

She doesn't react when Ron snorts at her suggestion that the very ordinary house belongs to the eccentric Lovegood's and she doesn't bite like she normally does when Ron corrects her about their home looking like a chess piece rook.

Also having to put on a united front against Harry when he became obsessed over the Hallows meant it was just like old times, like when they worked together to persuade him to teach DADA and in HBP when they didn't believe Malfoy was a Death Eater and Harry did.

Like the above poster said it happened over time.

In the film they put the emphasis on Ron's speech to show how sorry Ron was and how Hermione is slowly won over. There's still some festering resentment, but it's not as fierce as it is in the book and it's resolved quite naturally (again like in the book) without taking up too much screen time. I think they got it across fine.
I totally agree with you. No one can stay mad at Ron forever

{Magnolia class 0f 2010}
Ron & Hermione Forever
Old April 12th, 2011, 11:51 pm
Second Year

I agree completely with the above posters.
Hermione did not forgive Ron, because he gave her a reason to at the Malfoy Manor. She is someone who is just as passionate as he is, and thus reacts instantaneously, especially when it comes to Ron himself. I think her anger was more a punishment for him, than an actual feeling of resentment. She knew that he was expecting her to be ok with him, and so holding back on that warmth as soon as he came back was her way of making him go through hell (well, only for a while. She for one cannot see Ron in pain for long after all). In fact, you can tell that her anger is short lived on the night he returns itself, as she mutters the "I havent ruled it out" line after Ron mutters about the birds. Although she was gradually softening to him, I think the change came when, like the above poster mentioned, he said that he hadn't gone back to the Burrow. Amidst that and the drama that unfolded at the Lovegoods she literally forgot to stay mad at him. Also, I think Hermione has to make a huge effort to not talk to Ron. So I think she just gave in eventually .
So yes, by Malfoy Manor he was certainly forgiven and was being given large doses of subtle Hermione love I am sure .

ALSO. With respect to the video I posted above. I completely agree with MsBinns. This girl has been able to add so much drama to the Malfoy Manor scene (agreed the music always adds to the dramatic effect), but just the way she focuses on both Ron and Hermione makes you realise the intensity or the potential of intense emotion that this scene could have held, if they had only shot it right. I loved Rupert and Emma's expressions, once Rupert and Harry are on the stairs waiting to go into the living room. Emma's look as she looks at them while lying down is just bloody brilliant acting. Even after that, the entire bit where they duel with Bellatrix, where Rupert drops his wand, whre Emma looks at the Chandelier, when she run to him and he holds her. My god their expressions! I never noticed in the movie, it was blink and gone!

Last edited by Chocoron; April 13th, 2011 at 12:00 am.
Old April 13th, 2011, 1:43 am
Third Year

Quote:
I think her anger was more a punishment for him, than an actual feeling of resentment.
At least in the movie versions of their relationship both R-Ron & E-Hermione express their growing love for each other through volatile flair-ups between the two of them.

Imo, Ron secretly loved it that Hermione banged him with the backpack (instead of punching him like she did Draco ), she touched me, she cares with the angry play-hit, & then she asked Harry for her wand. (Ron loved it that Harry didn't give her the wand too.)

It was their way of showing each other how much she had missed him, and Ron knew it too.

She was right there in his face to let him know how much she loved him too.

He closed Lily's green eyes and only felt the burning love of all... is well, their shining star.

Dumbledore . . . Personally, I've Never Had Much Time for Heroes

It's not your choices Severus, it's your hair . . . Not! so! A l b u s . . . It's your b e a r d.

SigPic Wizardry done by Kala-Way
Luna Blessings for You & Yours & Everyone!

Last edited by wandrider; April 13th, 2011 at 1:49 am. Reason: magic spell ;-)
Old April 13th, 2011, 2:11 am
Third Year

While reading the book, I never once thought that Ron's reaction at Malfoy Manor was the reason Hermione forgave him. In fact, I thought she had pretty much forgiven him by that time.

Malfoy Manor in the movie is very disappointing though. it was such a crucial moment for Ron/Hermione. I don't know why they downplayed it so much.

Quote:

That video is amazing.

Old April 13th, 2011, 2:41 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandrider View Post
At least in the movie versions of their relationship both R-Ron & E-Hermione express their growing love for each other through volatile flair-ups between the two of them.

Imo, Ron secretly loved it that Hermione banged him with the backpack (instead of punching him like she did Draco ), she touched me, she cares with the angry play-hit, & then she asked Harry for her wand. (Ron loved it that Harry didn't give her the wand too.)

It was their way of showing each other how much she had missed him, and Ron knew it too.

She was right there in his face to let him know how much she loved him too.
I totally agree. Ron and Hermione have this equation where they reveal to eachother far more through heated displays of passion and anger than through subtle soft dialogue (except in DH, which was a brilliantly handled departure from tradition by Jo. She nailed this transformation with such ease, that you almost never felt like they crossed a line into something more, it was just like a gradual unspoken progression from a deep degree of friendship to an intense kind of love).

Old April 13th, 2011, 8:46 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I totally agree. Ron and Hermione have this equation where they reveal to eachother far more through heated displays of passion and anger than through subtle soft dialogue (except in DH, which was a brilliantly handled departure from tradition by Jo. She nailed this transformation with such ease, that you almost never felt like they crossed a line into something more, it was just like a gradual unspoken progression from a deep degree of friendship to an intense kind of love).
You are so right! Ron and Hermione's relationship is very complex and interesting. It fascinates me. I was so thrilled to see the "almost touching hands" scene in the movie. As I read the book I was more curious to know what was happening there than to find out what Lord Voldemort was up to . I can't wait for the kiss and the Chamber of Secrets scene (I heard on MuggleCast that it's in the next movie).

Image by the lovely SadiraSnape

"Neville is the man!"

Wand: Pear, Phoenix, 14.5 in, quite flexible
HUFFLEPUFF
MagicProphecy
Old April 18th, 2011, 4:12 pm
Sixth Year

In the ongoing dissatisfaction over the Harry/Hermione Dance Scene, I wonder what the average age is of folks who just are having kittens over it (really, really hated it) and those who like it and find it poignant and sweet. I'm wondering if age colors how one looks at this scene. I also wonder if gender influences one's reaction to it?

Myself? I LOVED the scene. My age: 52. Gender: Female. How about you?

Old April 18th, 2011, 4:16 pm
Second Year

I loved the scene, as well. Age 22, female.

Old April 18th, 2011, 9:54 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
In the ongoing dissatisfaction over the Harry/Hermione Dance Scene, I wonder what the average age is of folks who just are having kittens over it (really, really hated it) and those who like it and find it poignant and sweet. I'm wondering if age colors how one looks at this scene. I also wonder if gender influences one's reaction to it?

As for me, my age and gender are exactly the same as yours and I hated it with a passion!

Old April 18th, 2011, 10:13 pm
Fourth Year

I didn't mind the scene, I understand what they were going for (note: if you have the blu ray, watch the maximum movie mode, they explain quite well why they did this scene and Emma's explanation was spot on--despite it not being canon, in a similar real life situation, it's entirely plausible that two people of the opposite sex who are friends very well could have gone there. I'd say a lot of people wonder about their friends of the opposite sex wonder whether or not they could be more than friends. And then adding in the desperation and loneliness of their situation...let's just say that the situation Kloves/Yates put them in was totally possible)

Anyway, female, late 30s. I liked the tension and the 'will they/won't they'. Ultimately I knew the outcome would be that Hermione ends up with Ron so I wasn't too worried about that moment in the movie. It did add some interest to an otherwise rather slow part of the film (I mean really, how many minutes of sad Hermione/angry or frustrated Harry can we watch?)

Old April 18th, 2011, 10:28 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglepot View Post
As for me, my age and gender are exactly the same as yours and I hated it with a passion!
It's just my theory....I could be dead wrong.

Old April 18th, 2011, 10:44 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post

I totally loved the scene. I was moved when I first saw it, completely unexpected and I loved it very much.

Really, there is so much chemistry between Harry and Hermione and I see none between Hermione and Ron. It's not that I don't like Ron though, it's just that, in the movie, I don't believe for a second in the love between them.

Old April 18th, 2011, 10:46 pm
Sixth Year

I actually agree that in the films I just don't feel it. RG' s acting is spot on, but I can't feel the chemistry between them.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References