Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

All About Dementors

Old October 15th, 2006, 3:04 pm
Second Year

What is the contract between Ministry of Magic and Dementors?

Sorry, I couldn't find this anywhere. It's been bugging me all day. I did a search and couldn't locate anything that answered the questions of:

1) how were the Ministry of Magic able to control the Dementors in the first place?
2) Who negotiated with them to stay at Azkaban after the fall of Voldemort in the first place?- Do the dementors have something like a "union leader" or something like that?
3) I mean, what's to keep them from running a muck if you can't "kill" them?
4) How many would be existing?- Surely the amount of people locked up in Azkaban wouldn't be high enough to satisfy the dementors' thirst...
5) And do the dementors get stronger the more "kisses" they give or the more they make people depressed?
6) If they do, again, back to question 3...

Sorry about the long thread...

Last edited by elderwand; October 15th, 2006 at 3:05 pm. Reason: noticed a typo
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2006, 9:41 pm
First Year

Re: All About Dementors

The fundamental difference between Lethifolds and Dementors is that Lethifolds are classified as beasts (see Fantastic Beasts, etc. for definition) whereas Dementors are not. Fantastic Beasts also seems to suggest that Lethifold consume their victims whole (i.e. their bodies), whereas Dementors consume their souls only. In all other respects, these creatures are awfully similar. Perhaps, as stated above, Dementors are some sort of half-breed between a Lethifold and some other creature, probably a spirit of some kind. In any case we know that wizards can "create" certain dark creatures, like Inferi. The concept is, therefore, entirely possible.

Ryan Delaney
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities" -Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Old October 16th, 2006, 10:23 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix87 View Post
The fundamental difference between Lethifolds and Dementors is that Lethifolds are classified as beasts (see Fantastic Beasts, etc. for definition) whereas Dementors are not. Fantastic Beasts also seems to suggest that Lethifold consume their victims whole (i.e. their bodies), whereas Dementors consume their souls only. In all other respects, these creatures are awfully similar. Perhaps, as stated above, Dementors are some sort of half-breed between a Lethifold and some other creature, probably a spirit of some kind. In any case we know that wizards can "create" certain dark creatures, like Inferi. The concept is, therefore, entirely possible.

So are you saying that you think dementors were created by wizards hence they are able to control them? but the creator of Frankenstein didn't end up being able to control him in the end...
how can u control dementors? surely you can't keep producing patronuses 24/7 to keep them in.
after book 6, they seem to have left.

can they speak? what language? if not, how do they communicate? how do they know to join Voldy?
I just don't get it at all. and I can't seem to find clues in the books either.

They aren't really major characters, but they seem like they really can affect both wizards and muggles.. Hence, they are a real danger.

Again, what's to stop them from running a muck?

Old October 17th, 2006, 9:46 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderwand View Post
So are you saying that you think dementors were created by wizards hence they are able to control them? but the creator of Frankenstein didn't end up being able to control him in the end...
No, not at all. It's fairly obvious that wizards cannot control Dementors. But what I am saying is that it's not without precedent that wizards created Dementors, as with Inferi. Perhaps that's not the best comparison, since Inferi are not really living and thus not really creatures, but it's still possible.

Ryan Delaney
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities" -Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Old October 18th, 2006, 9:32 pm
First Year

i think dementors and lethifolds ar related in some way, but i dont think they are the same creature...maybe cousins in the creature world. in HBP chapter one "The other Minister" i think it was fudge who said something about the mist being dementors breeding. i took that to mean that it wasnt lethifolds breeding them. there is definately some strange connection between the two though.

maybe the lethifold is created after a dementor administers the kiss... adn since that soul, now a lethifold, cant be happy, it doesnt want anyone to be.

Last edited by mxchape04; October 18th, 2006 at 9:34 pm. Reason: info
Old November 6th, 2006, 7:48 pm
Second Year

I'd imagine that the ones who control Dementors are those who either block out all their emotions or don't have any.

Another question: Can vampires control Dementors? If so, there's another (small) possibility of how the ministry could control them (think back to Luna's theory about Rufus Scrimgeour!)

Old November 9th, 2006, 2:19 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helhorns View Post
Ok I'm very annoyed. I'd just finished writing this massive long essay on Dementors and I lost it :'(
That happened to me once too I got so mad because i had wrote a lot... i ended up not even rewriting it because it made me SOOOOOO mad

WOMBAT 2: Outstanding
WOMBAT 3:
Exceeds Expectations

"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." -Dumbledore
Old December 3rd, 2006, 12:13 am
Second Year

Lethifolds and Dementors: What's the relation?

Alright, I've got a new theory. I wasn't quite sure where this went, so I put it in Divination Studies. Sorry if that's incorrect.

Anyway, as I was studying chapter one of OotP and it had the part where Dud and Harry were attacked by the dementors, I remembered lethifolds from Fantastic Beasts. I quickly got FB out. I read the passage and it confirmed my theory. It said after the victim is killed, it is digested. Well, what if after numbers and numbers of victims, a dementor is made? It said that a lethifold is like a black cloak, and dementors are always wearing a black cloak. Well, what if that's the lethifold?

Well, there it is. Maybe a little crazy, but just an idea. Let me know what you guys think.

Old December 3rd, 2006, 12:30 am
Second Year

Re: Lethifolds and Dementors: What's the relation?

I dont exactly understand what a lethifold is, but dementors breed themselves, so i doubt this theory. Good idea though.

Old December 3rd, 2006, 12:34 am
First Year

A lethifold is a very rare creature that kills and digests sleeping humans. To the best of my knowledge, the only similarity they have to dementors is that they both can be defeated with a Patronus Charm.

In chapter one of HBP, it was mentioned that the Dementors had been mass breeding since Voldemort went public.
If they came from an extremely rare creature such as the lethifold, I don't think it would be possible to have so many be created in such a short amount of time.

Last edited by Planeswalker06; December 3rd, 2006 at 2:42 am.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:28 am
Fourth Year

maybe they are related somehow.but i dont believe that they are the same thing

Wand-15",Gaboon Ebony,Bloodwood,& Lignum Vitae,Rigid,Phoenix Ash & Phoenix Tear Core

Broomstick-Scarlet Phoenix

Animagus-African Lion

Patronus-Red Dragon

Durmstrang Institute of Magical Inquiry-Dracheseith House:Powerful,Wise,Crazy,and,Secretive

Magical Pets-Pursequor and Gaudium

I,Erus Omnipotens,The Shadow Lord,Am The Next Great And Powerful Wizard Of All Time
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:59 am
Second Year

Yes they're probably related somehow but to say they're the same... nah.

Old December 3rd, 2006, 5:21 pm
Second Year

I don't believe they are the same at all. It is a lethifold that has gone under many changes. Like water turned to an ice cube. Maybe the the lethifolds all came together when you-know-who returned, claimed victims, and dementors were made. Maybe once they are dementors, they can breed. You never know.

Old December 3rd, 2006, 5:48 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeswalker06 View Post
A lethifold is a very rare creature that kills and digests sleeping humans. To the best of my knowledge, the only similarity they have to dementors is that they both can be defeated with a Patronus Charm.
Where did you find all this out? Is it in that book mentioned by Ben24?

Anyway, I always took it that Dementors were kind of their own creature. Like trolls and giants that have been around since the beginning.

Old December 3rd, 2006, 5:50 pm
Second Year

Possibly related but not the same

I believe the similarity that you speak of is thet they can both be defended from by a patronous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mather View Post
Where did you find all this out? Is it in that book mentioned by Ben24?
I believe you mean Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. A book that JKR produced in aid of comic relif that can be purchased for around 1

Old December 3rd, 2006, 9:12 pm
Second Year

They could be related but most likely are not.And why is it that Dementors are not in FB?Are they considerd beings by the Ministry?

Harry: What is it Sir?

Dumbledore: You must let Ginny tie your shoelaces.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 11:45 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazzzbaza View Post
Possibly related but not the same

I believe the similarity that you speak of is thet they can both be defended from by a patronous.

I believe you mean Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. A book that JKR produced in aid of comic relif that can be purchased for around 1
Yup, that's the book I meant (do you order online, or is it in bookstores?). Well, since they can both be defended by the same spell, I would think they are somewhat related.

Old December 4th, 2006, 2:30 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazzzbaza View Post
I believe you mean Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
That is where I got the information on lethifolds. Speaking of that book, dementors were not in it, which leads me to believe that they are not classified as "Beasts." The books explains that there are three classifications for magical creatures: Being (those creatures intelligent enough to be given legal rights, etc.) Beasts (those who either lack the required intelligence to be Beings, or are simply too bloodthirsty) and Spirits. I seriously doubt that dementors are beasts, like the lethifold, because the ministry was willing to communicate and work with them for a time. My assumption is that they would be considered Spirits, but that is just a guess.

Old December 6th, 2006, 2:56 am
Second Year

You are probably correct. But are spirits included in FB lists of creatures? I don't know myself, I'd have to check. Someone post if they are or aren's.

Old December 6th, 2006, 3:58 am
First Year

the book's prologue says there are three divisions of magical creatures: Beings, Beasts, and Spirits. The books only lists beasts.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives