Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

All About Dementors

Old August 9th, 2007, 3:39 pm
Third Year

Re: All About Dementors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedwiggie View Post
I recently read an editorial by Antony called "How Are Dementors Created" and it certainly made me think. His theory was that they were made after wizards passed through the veil - which is certainly a terrifying thought as he said it would mean Sirius would become the thing that Harry feared the most.

And I also started thinking that if that theory is true, or if there was one similar to that cause it could well be with all the information we have been given so far, would it be possible that after Voldie was defeated, the Dementors could return to their original state? And if Antony's theory holds, Siruis would be back! And he and Harry could go off at the end of the book and live happily ever after.... I wish!
My theory kind of goes along with yours. I also thnk that the souls sucked out from a person is placed in the veil. Surely they cant stay within the Dementor itself and must go somewhere. Explaining its position in the DoM. I also think that some of those 'sucked' souls, the truely dark and evil ones are converted into Dementors.

"Has Ron saved a goal yet?" asked Hermione.
"Well, he can do it if he thinks no one is watching him," said Fred, rolling his eyes. "So all we have to do is ask the crowd to turn their backs and talk among themselves every time the Quaffle goes up on his end Saturday."
- PeerlessKid -
Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2007, 3:50 pm
First Year

I think the books state that Dementors are not humans.

Old August 9th, 2007, 3:53 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhristian View Post
I think the books state that Dementors are not humans.
Does it? Where?
Must have missed it.

"Well, he can do it if he thinks no one is watching him," said Fred, rolling his eyes. "So all we have to do is ask the crowd to turn their backs and talk among themselves every time the Quaffle goes up on his end Saturday."
- PeerlessKid -
Old August 11th, 2007, 11:33 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeerlessKid View Post
Does it? Where?
Must have missed it.
Yes it does i'll try and find it

Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow, Like fragile tiny shells, Drifting in the foam.
Little soldier boy, come marching home
Brave soldier boy, comes marching home.

We miss you Uncle Iroh

Proud member of OFINOA (obsessed fans in need of Avatar)

Germany to win Euro 08
Old August 15th, 2007, 12:42 am
Third Year

What do we know for sure about dementors?

1. They are 12 feet tall
2. They have hands and some kind of a mouth
3. They are blind (how were they pointing up at Harry at the Quidditch pitch?)
4. They infuse the air with a coldness and block sound and even the stars in the sky.
5. They have rasping breaths - in other words, they breathe, meaning they are living.
6. They breed like fungi, in rotting and decayed areas and cause a green fog to be created.
7. They don't seem to have feet, but glide as movement
8. They are driven off by a patronus charm.
9. If they don't have enough souls to consume, they become 'hungry'.
10. They will stop attacking someone, if a person they respect tells them to, meaning that they understand English.
11. Their hands are skeletal, and look like flesh that has been in water too long.
12. They attack muggles as well as wizards.
13. They don't seem to have names, like goblins or elves or centaurs.

Probable things:

1. They breed like fungi, meaning that they probably use asexual reproduction, like budding.
2. We never see them actually speak, perhaps they can't.
3. They all wear black cloaks, hiding their faces - perhaps the cloak is their 'skin' (?)
4. They resemble lethifolds, but differ in some ways - perhaps related (?)
5. They do seem to have some loyalties, but perhaps they go to whoever offers them the most souls to consume.
6. They don't fight (not that they need to fight to get their way with someone), but rather will leave if a patronus is sent at them.

Thoughts - perhaps they are opportunistic parasites, which might be benign if their damage weren't so great to humans. They do appear to have some consciousness, however, if no conscience.

Possible ways to destroy them - Fight them with massive light since they can't seem to tolerate that. If light bothers them, then perhaps bleach or peroxide might poison them. (I know, I know, I'm just a muggle here, not a wizard or witch).

FGM

Old August 15th, 2007, 12:59 am
Third Year

My big Dementor questions is this:

Can a Dementor Kiss the soul piece out of a Horcrux, leaving the object intact and all inherent magical properties it may once have had intact?

Dec. 31, 1927 - born.
1943-1944 - opens Chamber of Secrets, kills dad and grandparents
1944 - Creates first Horcrux
1971-1981 - Goes public, decimates Wizarding world
1995 - Reborn
Old August 15th, 2007, 1:41 am
First Year

The first time I saw a Dementor I think that it was a demon!!!, but actually I guess that they are a type of authority.

Old August 15th, 2007, 1:58 am
Second Year

they propably can take the soul out of the horcrux.

Old August 15th, 2007, 2:07 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Ridley View Post

Can a Dementor Kiss the soul piece out of a Horcrux, leaving the object intact and all inherent magical properties it may once have had intact?
We'll never know...it was discussed in regards to Harrycrux a fair bit...but we'll never know. I don't think it appeared in the Horcrux book, though, so maybe not - maybe all the dementor will do is set the soul-piece free, but not destroy it.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old August 25th, 2007, 8:27 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Ridley View Post

I'm not so sure, don't they suck the soul out of a person through their mouth, hence the kissing. How would it work on an object?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther View Post
What do we know for sure about dementors?

1. They are 12 feet tall
2. They have hands and some kind of a mouth
3. They are blind (how were they pointing up at Harry at the Quidditch pitch?)
4. They infuse the air with a coldness and block sound and even the stars in the sky.
5. They have rasping breaths - in other words, they breathe, meaning they are living.
6. They breed like fungi, in rotting and decayed areas and cause a green fog to be created.
7. They don't seem to have feet, but glide as movement
8. They are driven off by a patronus charm.
9. If they don't have enough souls to consume, they become 'hungry'.
10. They will stop attacking someone, if a person they respect tells them to, meaning that they understand English.
11. Their hands are skeletal, and look like flesh that has been in water too long.
12. They attack muggles as well as wizards.
13. They don't seem to have names, like goblins or elves or centaurs.

Probable things:

1. They breed like fungi, meaning that they probably use asexual reproduction, like budding.
2. We never see them actually speak, perhaps they can't.
3. They all wear black cloaks, hiding their faces - perhaps the cloak is their 'skin' (?)
4. They resemble lethifolds, but differ in some ways - perhaps related (?)
5. They do seem to have some loyalties, but perhaps they go to whoever offers them the most souls to consume.
6. They don't fight (not that they need to fight to get their way with someone), but rather will leave if a patronus is sent at them.

Thoughts - perhaps they are opportunistic parasites, which might be benign if their damage weren't so great to humans. They do appear to have some consciousness, however, if no conscience.

Possible ways to destroy them - Fight them with massive light since they can't seem to tolerate that. If light bothers them, then perhaps bleach or peroxide might poison them. (I know, I know, I'm just a muggle here, not a wizard or witch).

FGM
Hey did you get all that information from 'Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them?'
... or the title's somewhere along those lines

- PeerlessKid -
Old August 25th, 2007, 8:53 pm
Third Year

Quote:
I'm not so sure, don't they suck the soul out of a person through their mouth, hence the kissing. How would it work on an object?
No i don't think it will work on an object, i mean first you'll have to suck out the happiness and then do the kiss? Right?

Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow, Like fragile tiny shells, Drifting in the foam.

We miss you Uncle Iroh

Germany to win Euro 08
Old August 26th, 2007, 3:00 am
Secret Keeper

I thought that Lethifolds were similar to Dementors, but I just don't think that Dementors evolve from Lethifolds, on the contrary, I think it's the other way around.

I think that a Dementor is created when a human becomes completely evil with no happiness or love whatsoever (Voldemort doesnt count, I am sure there is some happy moment in his life, he just happens to be extremely evil and loveless) I recall Lupin or someone saying that if someone is near a Dementor too long, they will be reduced to something similar to it, cold and evil or soemthing (not sure of the exact quote). anyways, I think that the first Dementor was a wizard or muggle or someone who was cold evil and loveless and soulless and turned into a Dementor, and then made other Dementors by sucking out souls and residing near people. I'm fairly sure they can't reproduce. And I think that Dementors, after sucking out enough souls, it can become a Lethifold, and since dementors are mercifully controllable, that doesn't happen often, which is why they are so rare. Am I making any sense here?

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old August 26th, 2007, 6:48 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
I thought that Lethifolds were similar to Dementors, but I just don't think that Dementors evolve from Lethifolds, on the contrary, I think it's the other way around.

I think that a Dementor is created when a human becomes completely evil with no happiness or love whatsoever (Voldemort doesnt count, I am sure there is some happy moment in his life, he just happens to be extremely evil and loveless) I recall Lupin or someone saying that if someone is near a Dementor too long, they will be reduced to something similar to it, cold and evil or soemthing (not sure of the exact quote). anyways, I think that the first Dementor was a wizard or muggle or someone who was cold evil and loveless and soulless and turned into a Dementor, and then made other Dementors by sucking out souls and residing near people. I'm fairly sure they can't reproduce. And I think that Dementors, after sucking out enough souls, it can become a Lethifold, and since dementors are mercifully controllable, that doesn't happen often, which is why they are so rare. Am I making any sense here?
Yes you are making sense i like the idea of the first ever dementor was a human but how will a human become soulless?...cold eveil and loveless is understandable (voldemort) but soulless?

We miss you Uncle Iroh

Germany to win Euro 08
Old August 26th, 2007, 9:37 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace_Forever View Post
Yes you are making sense i like the idea of the first ever dementor was a human but how will a human become soulless?...cold eveil and loveless is understandable (voldemort) but soulless?
Maybe it's just having to experience great sorrow to such an extent. Voldemort seemed to enjoy what he was doing, he wanted power and immortality, so he mutilated his soul, but it was still there.

But what if someone merely spent their entire life alone, depressed, and despised anyone who had happiness because they didn't, maybe then some act would cause their soul to seperate from his body.

Or maybe, they're just an embodiment of all that is wrong in the world (Despair, Sadness, Anger, etc...) (From Muggles and Magic folk alike)

Gryffindor Till The End
Old August 27th, 2007, 8:54 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace_Forever View Post
No i don't think it will work on an object, i mean first you'll have to suck out the happiness and then do the kiss? Right?
I don't really think you have to suck out the happiness out of the person first, I think that's just the effect the dementors have on the surrounding wizards and witches. Remember when the dementor kissed Barty Crouch Jnr. I think it was Mcgonagall(?) who said how it just swooped down and performed it, not hang about him before he had no happiness left inside him.

- PeerlessKid -
Old August 28th, 2007, 1:08 am
Third Year

Quote:

Hey did you get all that information from 'Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them?'
... or the title's somewhere along those lines
No, this info all came from the series or from various interviews with JKR. Dementors weren't in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Dementors are blind, but sense emotions - therefore I don't think they could suck the soul from a horcrux.

Those who were in Azkaban got very depressed being in the presence of dementors, but got better as soon as they were freed. Those who've been 'kissed', however have no soul left, so they are just an empty body. There's no cure for them.

FGM

Old August 29th, 2007, 9:32 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther View Post
No, this info all came from the series or from various interviews with JKR. Dementors weren't in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Dementors are blind, but sense emotions - therefore I don't think they could suck the soul from a horcrux.

Those who were in Azkaban got very depressed being in the presence of dementors, but got better as soon as they were freed. Those who've been 'kissed', however have no soul left, so they are just an empty body. There's no cure for them.

FGM
Oh okay then I'm guessing that all the stuff like they're 12 feet tall was mentioned in one of the many JKR interviews?

- PeerlessKid -

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives