Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

All About Dementors

Old August 7th, 2003, 4:02 am
Sixth Year

It was probably JKR's way of just letting us think that they were powerful creature/wizards instead of soul-sucking cloaks. She didn't want to give away too much of their description before Harry met them.

"When you really trust someone, you have to be ok with not understanding some things."
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2003, 4:24 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRocksMySocks
Jasper: than what's with the different names? Do you think that when they are employed by the ministry, they get a new name, but are the same?

There are several differences between the Lethifolds and the Dementors, one being that the Lethifolds eat their victims, and dementors simply feed off of their emotions. So how does that get explained if so?
I've got no theory on Lethifolds- never heard of them before this thread. But my idea of Dementors was that they wouldn't go in the beast category- they're in the brethern category to me. I don't think these are two names for the same thing.

Old August 7th, 2003, 6:47 am
Fifth Year

Lupin does say that if you are near one, you become something LIKE them, souless and evil.

I got the impression that you would be life an invisible ghost, with no real thought; but not beocme a dementor.
I believe (though it sounds a strange idea) that Dementors don't actually die, or they can only die from hunger (no souls to feed on). So they were probably produced by a Dark wizard a few hundred years ago, and very very slowly they are dying out. I cant actually imagine Dementors breeding...that is a horrible thought...

Since Dementors arent in Fantastic Beasts; it shows that they are VERY different from Lethifolds (read "What is a Beast?").
"They have sufficient intelligence to understand the laws of the magical community and to bear part of the responsibility in shaping those laws."

Dementors understand human speech and laws, unlike Lethifolds.

Old October 16th, 2003, 10:42 pm
Master Graphics Designer

I searched for a thread on "Dementors" and "souls", and this seemed like the most appropriate result, even though it hasn't been posted in since August.
Well, there's a bunch of questions that have been bugging me (it doesn't have to do with Lethifolds, but the thread is called "All about Dementors", so anyway...): What happens to a soul that a Dementor sucks out? If it's somehow contained inside the dementor, what happens if the dementor is destroyed? Can dementors be destroyed? They could be (sorry, hate to keep harping on about LOTR analogies!) neither "living nor dead", and couldn't be killed because of that. Your thoughts? Sorry if all this was discussed in the old Dementor thread in The Olde Great Hall, I didn't check that one.

And about the Lethifolds, I think it's a great theory! They do seem to have a lot in common. I think they might be two different species, just sort of distant cousins. Just my guess.

Last edited by Tirwen Lupin; October 17th, 2003 at 12:34 am.
Old October 16th, 2003, 11:52 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirwen Lupin
What happens to a sould that a Dementor sucks out? If it's somehow contained inside the dementor, what happens if the dementor is destroyed? Can dementors be destroyed? They could be (sorry, hate to keep harping on about LOTR analogies!) neither "living nor dead", and couldn't be killed because of that. Your thoughts? Sorry if all this was discussed in the old Dementor thread in The Olde Great Hall, I didn't check that one.
I don't think they can be destroyed. Remember how they sort of appeared and disappeared when Harry fought them? I think they don't really exist in a definite sense - they can just come about and go away. So I think that Harry destroyed a dementor when he fought them, but that destroying them isn't that big a deal, because they can somehow be created anew, almost like spontaneous generation.

Old October 17th, 2003, 12:09 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
What happens to a sould that a Dementor sucks out?
I assumed the soul was just dementor food at that point. Consumed. Liquidated. Slurp. Gone. That's what makes it such a harsh penalty if the Ministry sicks the dementors on you.

Old October 17th, 2003, 12:47 am
Master Graphics Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper
I assumed the soul was just dementor food at that point. Consumed. Liquidated. Slurp. Gone. That's what makes it such a harsh penalty if the Ministry sicks the dementors on you.
Yes, that's probably right. The soul would just be destroyed (slurp! ) and not exist any longer. But it would seem equally harsh if it wasn't destryed--just somewhere where it could never be retrieved. But its total destruction... you're probably right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesdead=dealwithit
I don't think they can be destroyed. Remember how they sort of appeared and disappeared when Harry fought them? I think they don't really exist in a definite sense - they can just come about and go away. So I think that Harry destroyed a dementor when he fought them, but that destroying them isn't that big a deal, because they can somehow be created anew, almost like spontaneous generation.
That's an interesting way to look at it--I thought that they might not have been destoyed, but simply disappeared by themselves. They might just have apparated in their own way to another place, rather than be created anew. But you have a good point, that there doesn't seem to be a definite way to destroy them once and for all.

Old October 17th, 2003, 1:39 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper
I agree. Dying this way prohibits any kind of afterlife which apparently exists "beyond the veil." Certainly this is a fate worse than death! I wonder if Voldemort has 1. considered it or 2. familiarized himself with threats simliar (that we have not yet heard of.)

Old October 17th, 2003, 1:46 am
Second Year

Gread thread Hellhorns! Your theory makes perfect sense. I'm surprised i didn't pick it up when i read fantastic magical beasts. Also the theory of cross-breeding sounds really realistic, like i can picture the ministry doing something like that so the Dementors listen to them because they probably catch Lethifolds but not many because they are very rare. The wild ones would just eat anything only listening to themselves but maybe due to the breeding they follow Ministry instruction or else they'd attack anybody.

I think that the Dementors seem to have found a way to stop listening to the Ministry, they are free-minded and probably join with the DEs because they want revenge on the Ministry for there enslavement.

Maybe Lethifolds are crossed with Dark wizards so maybe that's why they are attracted to the DEs and LV because they are all Dark and for the most part the Ministry is good. In GoF the dementor seemed unseparable from Crouch Jr., it needed his soul maybe for fuel to replenish itself? Maybe they are highly attracted to Dark wizards but can be placed under containment if the Dark wizard is powerful enough. We know Crouch was a powerful wizard but he was worn out and couldn't fight back against the Dementor so the Dementor took advantage of that and fed off his soul?

Old October 17th, 2003, 2:03 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:

That's an interesting way to look at it--I thought that they might not have been destoyed, but simply disappeared by themselves. They might just have apparated in their own way to another place, rather than be created anew. But you have a good point, that there doesn't seem to be a definite way to destroy them once and for all.
Well, the patronus spell is only supposed to repel the dementors. It was never said to destroy them. That doesn't mean they can't be destroyed by some other method. But no one really wanted to destroy them so far. The ministry needs them- up to now they were the only thing keeping Azkaban secure. If wizards started destroying them, they would surely not cooperate anymore.

Old October 18th, 2003, 4:14 pm
Second Year

Ok...the other day my friend was putting on her death eater costume. Her mom said "what are you a dementor"

That's when it hit me...a dementor is a dead death eater. I don't know how it happened, its just a theory i've been tossing around lately.

AMAZING job, helhorns, i never would have thought of that!

Old November 2nd, 2003, 10:48 pm
Second Year

Can Dementors talk?

Do dementors speak? i can't rememeber anywhere when they do, the only reference to whether they do speak or not is in book three pg 54 Uk edition.
Quote:
Fudge wanted it kept quiet, but Fudge went out to Azkaban the night Black escaped. The guards told Fudge that Blacks been talking in his sleep for a while now. always the same word: "He's at Hogwarts...he's at Hogwarts"
Prehaps Fudge can speak Dementor, a series of rasping breaths, maybe that their dialect.
oh i don't know, what do you think?

Old November 2nd, 2003, 11:14 pm
Seventh Year

well they must have some sorat of Lanuge but i doubt they speak English.(then again they must be able to understand it) I mean how else could the Ministry hired them to guard Azakaban? Of course maybe they just hear but id think they can communitacte amongst their own kind.

Wizards seem to highly underestimated the intellagince of other speices like Grawp assuming trying to teach him english was a pointless but it appears Hagrid did have some success in it, and he is all giant

Old November 2nd, 2003, 11:18 pm
Fourth Year

maybe they have their own language, like the mer-people do, or maybe they speak an offshoot of english. that is rather odd. the oppression that wizards subject on other magical creatures kind of reminds me of how america is americanizing the rest of the world. i guess english hasnt taken over the dementors yet. maybe the demetors "speak" in a different way, as in not verbally but perhaps with signs or references. ??

Old November 2nd, 2003, 11:18 pm
Crumple-Horned Snorkack Keeper

Is it possible they can communicate telepathically?

Old November 2nd, 2003, 11:23 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowena Ravenclaw
Maybe they can. They never actually spoke while they were around Harry so they must have another form of communication. How else could they guard Azkaban without communicating with one another?

Old November 2nd, 2003, 11:23 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Hmmm thats an interesting possibilty and it seems possible they strike me as the kind of creatures who would be able to do that.
But they did some how speak to Fudge about Sirius unless they did that telepathically.
The thing is do they only use their mouths for only drawing in breath and kissing? (saying it that way makes them sound like my sister )

Old November 2nd, 2003, 11:25 pm
Banned

Quote:
That's definitely possible. But if they do have a verbal language, it has to be something that Fudge can understand, and for some reason I can't see him learning other languages like Crouch. So either they can speak English, or, as Rowena said and I think, they can communicate telepathically.

Old November 2nd, 2003, 11:26 pm
Fourth Year

I like Rowena's idea of telepathic communication. Also, I sort of always thought that they understood English but didn't speak it themselfs. Otherwise how would they know when it was ok to administer the Kiss and when it wasn't (not that they'd care)? And perhaps the guards that were mentioned in the quote provided by Buckbeak were not Dementors. There has to be some humans working at Azkaban.

Old November 2nd, 2003, 11:40 pm
Fifth Year

I'm sure that Dementors can speak at least some English when they need to, but it seems that their rasping breath is enough to get most messages across.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives