Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

All About Dementors

Old November 18th, 2003, 12:41 am
Sixth Year

Yes. Voldemort will let them just wander about, sucking out whoever's good thoughts and souls they please.

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2003, 4:29 am
Curse Breaker

As long as they stay away from his supporters, that's very true and quite a viable strategy. Unkillable soul-sucking monsters loosed on your enemies. What a powerful weapon.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old November 18th, 2003, 5:17 am
Banned

Except for one thing, they are uncontrolable and feed of the worst wizards so how will Voldemort prevent them from turning onto his army of DE and twisted minded people. I mean that is the Dementors fav. food, badness not goodness, which is what will be comming from the order and Dumbledores army. Voldemort is going to have to control them somehow.

Dementors would turn around and travel a mile for the correct wizards to torture with there evil memories, the eviler the wizard the better as far as a dementor is concerned.

Old November 18th, 2003, 5:23 am
Curse Breaker

They feed off whoever is available. Voldemort can give them "a much wider scope for their powers than [Fudge] can." They will go after those with more happy memories, bigger meal, more fun, more energy from it. They'd generally prefer the innocent, that's a lot of happiness and goodness to leech.

Last edited by jordmundt6; November 14th, 2007 at 10:57 pm.
Old November 18th, 2003, 5:40 am
Banned

But it is war and therefore neither side will be showing or experiencing happy thoughts that day. It also depends upon how you define happyness, Lucius and the DE and the centaurs and Voldemort would define this moment as one of the most happiest moments of there life. Bella would be extactic about it all, in fact a lot of the creatures Voldemort has, ie the giants, much bigger and therefore a greater meal for Dementors to feast upon.

So the happiest side would be Voldemorts not the order or the MoM. They would be much more serious and more affraid of the outcome.

Old November 18th, 2003, 9:36 am
McMugwump Supreme

When Dementors perform the Kiss they don't seem to discriminate between feelings of happiness, sadness, anger etc. Both Harry and Sirius were obviously terrified in PoA, but the Dementors still went after them.

Ultimately, the Dementors would rather perform the Kiss on as many people as possible than just act as guards at Azkaban. The fact that they suck-out all feelings of happiness is just product of their presence; I'm not sure if they actually benefit from this.

Lunch was six dollars and thirty-one cents at the Lamplighter Inn, that's on Highway Two near Lewis Fork.
That was a tuna fish sandwich on whole wheat, slice of cherry pie, and a cup of coffee.
Damn good food. Diane, if you ever get up this way that cherry pie is worth a stop.

Old November 18th, 2003, 11:58 am
Knower of things

bad spelling on my part!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotsiepots
When Dementors perform the Kiss they don't seem to discriminate between feelings of happiness, sadness, anger etc. Both Harry and Sirius were obviously terrified in PoA, but the Dementors still went after them.

Ultimately, the Dementors would rather perform the Kiss on as many people as possible than just act as guards at Azkaban. The fact that they suck-out all feelings of happiness is just product of their presence; I'm not sure if they actually benefit from this.
Exactly, like at the quidditch game, it was their idea of a feast, as long as the dementors can get at as many people as they can they're satisfied. There is probably more feed in happy people than sad ones.

Liselle

Last edited by Liselle; November 18th, 2003 at 4:07 pm.
Old November 18th, 2003, 12:14 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotsiepots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle
Exactly, like at the quidditch game, it was their idea of a deast, as long as the dementors can get at as many people as they can they're satisfied. There is probably more feed in happy people than sad ones.
So if this is true then how are the dementors beging used to contain the prisoners at Azkaban. Why don't they not go after a more interesting source of yummy goodness.

Why do they not seek out what they want, why do they stay at the prison at all. They could leave and find muggles a much easier target and in more quantity. So why do they stay at Azkaban?

Old November 18th, 2003, 4:10 pm
Knower of things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill
So if this is true then how are the dementors beging used to contain the prisoners at Azkaban. Why don't they not go after a more interesting source of yummy goodness.

Why do they not seek out what they want, why do they stay at the prison at all. They could leave and find muggles a much easier target and in more quantity. So why do they stay at Azkaban?
The dementors were under the control of the ministry but have switched alligances and are back on the side of Voldemort. I'm not sure if they were ever really siding with the ministry, was it just the absence of Voldemort that made them guard Azkaban? were the ministry offering something to them that we don't know? It wouldn't shock me one bit if they were

Liselle

Old November 18th, 2003, 9:13 pm
Curse Breaker

Rotsie--the suction of happiness is their rattling breath. Emotion any emotion is a banquet to them. That's why they target souls. They probably cut the deal with the Ministry to avoid getting starved into nothing.

Old November 18th, 2003, 9:25 pm
Banned

Yes but which emotion is stronger, happyness, sadness, revenge, greed or elation.

Which of these is a dementor more likely to want to lunch on?

As this will depend upon whether or not the Dementors need to be controled in some way by Voldemort or not.

To get the dementors to as you want them to do, you must either have to control them or as you said jordmundt6 bribe them..

Oh and how do you think the school are going to stop them from getting in and munching on the students?

Does Hogwarts have a defence for these creatures or not?

Old November 19th, 2003, 12:21 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill
Oh and how do you think the school are going to stop them from getting in and munching on the students?

Does Hogwarts have a defence for these creatures or not?
I would bet that right now Hogwarts does not have a defense, but I would be very surprised if Dumbledore couldn't make one. How about some sort of line made of the substance that makes up a Patronus extending all around the school? Dementors couldn't cross that, I doubt, and I would bet that at least something like that is inside of DD's capabilities.

Old November 19th, 2003, 1:29 am
Curse Breaker

The Patronus age-line? The perfect meld of two ideas. But he tends to go for simple answers not exotic ones. Maybe periodic blasts of intense sunlight at encroaching dementors?

Old November 19th, 2003, 1:38 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6
The Patronus age-line? The perfect meld of two ideas. But he tends to go for simple answers not exotic ones. Maybe periodic blasts of intense sunlight at encroaching dementors?
Or something. The sunlight is definitely an idea, although I don't think dementors are that averse to it. Either way, I refuse to believe that DD couldn't repel the dementors.

Old November 19th, 2003, 1:40 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6
Sunlight? Interesting.That would be something. Wouldn't a Patronus age-line be called something like a Patroni-line? Maybe a soft voice saying "think happy thoughts , think happy thoughts...." would drive the dementors to insanity or into oblivion.

Old November 19th, 2003, 1:48 am
Curse Breaker

like one of those robot voices at the Ministry--speaking of the Ministry, there are two levels missing. Level 1 and Level 8. Unspeakables are 9 and we heard about 7 but nobody stopped on 8 and nobody went to 1.

I mention intense sunlight because Harry comments that Sirius went somewhere tropical and doesn't believe that Dementors would do too well in sunny places. Hey maybe they break down into Lethifolds if they stay in the sun too long.

Old November 19th, 2003, 2:17 am
Banned

The Atrium seems to be Level 8, since the next floor in the sequence is Level 7. Level 1 could be just an extension of the Department of Law Enforcement, but is most likely Fudge's offices and those of his administration. Anyway, just a side note.

About the sunlight, we can't exactly trust Harry on this topic, because he's not an expert. Regardless, I can't either see the dementor's being to effective in the sunlight or in the tropics. You know how some people get depressed by winter, and made happy by summer? It's like that - it's easier to be happy in the sunlight.

Old November 19th, 2003, 2:27 am
Curse Breaker

I know we can't necessarily trust Harry on this, but I thought it was an intriguing possibility. And your right, even if they could survive, they couldn't hunt very well.

Old November 19th, 2003, 4:24 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady deMimsy
...the dementors seem to borrow a lot from the Furies in classical mythology...
Thanks for the great quote from Aeschylus. You've really got something there. The Furies were also agents of justice. They went after Orestes for killing his mother.

At the same time, the Furies couldn't go after innocent people, I believe -- they were kind of a personification of "natural justice" or "guilty conscience," right? They would home in on blood guilt rather than innocent happiness.

Old November 19th, 2003, 7:24 am
Sixth Year

They just like to munch on any positive emotion. If greed makes you happy, they'll munch on that too becasue by god, you're happy and they are not. It's like they know they are damned and they want you to be too.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives