Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

The Hunger games

Old March 29th, 2011, 12:39 pm
Malum Veneficus

Re: Hunger games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury
See that is what I thought. If so, Chloe Moretz would be a great Prim.
Moretz looks exactly like how I imagined Prim. I have no idea how old she is, though.

I haven't seen Jennifer Lawrence act before so I'm looking forward to see how she carries out the role.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2011, 2:29 pm
First Year

Does anyone else think that they're going to cut or condense a lot of the beginning of the book? I have a feeling they will...

I wonder how they're going to pull off Katniss's and Peeta's fire suits or whatever. They came of as really really amazing in the books, I wonder how that will translate to the film.

And is jennifer lawrence already familiar with archery? Or will she need to go through extensive training?

Old March 29th, 2011, 8:31 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentcat
Does anyone else think that they're going to cut or condense a lot of the beginning of the book? I have a feeling they will...
I doubt that. Or I hope not. Nothing much happens before the Games start. There's just the hunt with Gale in the woods and introducing what the Games are, and the Capitol. And then the Reaping. That's what I really loved about the books; every moment is filled with action and anticipation, they never get boring.
I have high expectations for this movie, .

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old March 29th, 2011, 9:39 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post
I think that a lot of the potential impact will be lost if they age the characters up too much. The whole point is that it's children being forced to kill each other. There's already speculation over what the rating might be.
That was why I was also originally disappointed by the casting of Jennifer. She looks like an adult. Maybe they will give her bangs or something to make her look younger. Hailee would have still been my ideal choice.

Hunter is 24, but he has such a youthful face I could not believe he was that old. Looks wise he would be a great Peeta. I just haven't seen him in anything before.

Here's another article about the casting of haymitch. It looks like a lot of people like hugh laurie. I kind of like jeff bridges too.

http://www.people.com/people/article...475112,00.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentcat View Post

I wonder how they're going to pull off Katniss's and Peeta's fire suits or whatever. They came of as really really amazing in the books, I wonder how that will translate to the film.

And is jennifer lawrence already familiar with archery? Or will she need to go through extensive training?
Yes, I hope the cinna's outfits are just as amazing onscreen as they are described in the book.

According to the director, Jennifer started archery lessons the week right after she was cast.

I think this book, unlike HP, will be great for film. There is so much action. My guess is that most of the time will be spent in the arena, since that is the most suspenseful part of the whole story. The beginning is basically the hunt with gale, the reaping, the training, the interviews, and then it's off to the games. They could probably do all the stuff before the games in half an hour or slightly more. The games is what I found to be the most riveting.

Old March 31st, 2011, 1:21 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix88 View Post
Here's another article about the casting of haymitch. It looks like a lot of people like hugh laurie. I kind of like jeff bridges too.

http://www.people.com/people/article...475112,00.html
Woah. Alan Rickman? As awesome as it would be to have him in both the HP AND Hunger Games franchises, I can't really picture him as Haymitch. I think either Laurie or Downey Jr. would be able to capture the character's snarkiness perfectly. I'm not sure about Bridges though, as much as I love him.

Quote:
I think this book, unlike HP, will be great for film. There is so much action. My guess is that most of the time will be spent in the arena, since that is the most suspenseful part of the whole story. The beginning is basically the hunt with gale, the reaping, the training, the interviews, and then it's off to the games. They could probably do all the stuff before the games in half an hour or slightly more. The games is what I found to be the most riveting.
I agree. I think that these will translate much better on screen than HP did. And, like I said before, each book is under 400 pages so they really shouldn't have to cut anything out.

I hope the filmmakers hire a great composer to do the score instead of mashing up a bunch of popular songs a la the Twilight film adaptations.

Old March 31st, 2011, 11:04 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Hunger games (2012)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
I doubt that. Or I hope not. Nothing much happens before the Games start. There's just the hunt with Gale in the woods and introducing what the Games are, and the Capitol. And then the Reaping. That's what I really loved about the books; every moment is filled with action and anticipation, they never get boring.
I have high expectations for this movie, .
I hope they leave those parts in. They'd make a good introduction, with a bit more added as part of the set-up explanation -like the obligatory reading of the history of Panem and the rebellion at the Reaping. Collins has Katniss gloss over it, and give a shorter version, but I think audiences who haven't read the books are going to need some explanation as to why kids are being sent off to murder each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboywholived8 View Post
Woah. Alan Rickman? As awesome as it would be to have him in both the HP AND Hunger Games franchises, I can't really picture him as Haymitch. I think either Laurie or Downey Jr. would be able to capture the character's snarkiness perfectly. I'm not sure about Bridges though, as much as I love him.
Haymitch is fairly uncouth and slobby. I can't picture Alan Rickman in that kind of role. Robert Downey Jr. -I think he'd make a great Haymitch. Partly because I think he could be a great Haymitch and partly because I think he's very er... watchable.

Quote:
I hope the filmmakers hire a great composer to do the score instead of mashing up a bunch of popular songs a la the Twilight film adaptations.
Oh definitely. A score would be much better. Contemporary songs would seem a bit out of place in a film set a couple of centuries in the future, anyway.

Any info on casting for Cinna? Or any preferences?

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old April 1st, 2011, 4:50 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
Haymitch is fairly uncouth and slobby. I can't picture Alan Rickman in that kind of role. Robert Downey Jr. -I think he'd make a great Haymitch. Partly because I think he could be a great Haymitch and partly because I think he's very er... watchable.

Any info on casting for Cinna? Or any preferences?

hehe, I see what you did there...I love RDJ.

I think Lawrence is the only confirmed cast member. These filmmakers better hurry up! I need answers!

Old April 1st, 2011, 6:48 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
hehe, I see what you did there...I love RDJ.
Yeah... Seriously, though, I do think he could carry off that kind of rough around the edges character that Haymitch is, very well.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 7:35 am
Sixth Year

It looks like liam hems worth and Josh are the frontrunners for gale and peeta. I am kind of surprised mainly because neither look like their respective characters based on the book description. I can't see Josh and Jennifer together, but then again maybe they tested well together. I was hoping for Lucas till.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/04/liam...r-games-leads/

Old April 2nd, 2011, 8:14 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
It looks like liam hems worth and Josh are the frontrunners for gale and peeta. I am kind of surprised mainly because neither look like their respective characters based on the book description. I can't see Josh and Jennifer together, but then again maybe they tested well together. I was hoping for Lucas till.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/04/liam...r-games-leads/
Well, this is disappointing.

I haven't seen Liam Hemsworth act in anything, but with some hair dye I suppose that he can match Gale's physical description; at least as much as Jennifer Lawrence does Katniss. I'm not a fan of Josh Hutcherson but, for me, he's completely wrong for the part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
See that is what I thought. If so, Chloe Moretz would be a great Prim.
Chloe Moretz won't be playing Prim. The other fan favourite seems to be Elle Fanning.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 8:52 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post
Well, this is disappointing.

I haven't seen Liam Hemsworth act in anything, but with some hair dye I suppose that he can match Gale's physical description; at least as much as Jennifer Lawrence does Katniss. I'm not a fan of Josh Hutcherson but, for me, he's completely wrong for the part.

Chloe Moretz won't be playing Prim. The other fan favourite seems to be Elle Fanning.
Yes, I am disappointed as well. I guess liam probably has gale's height and the physique of a hunter. He probably does look good with Jennifer. I have never seen Liam in anything. I just know he was with Miley Cyrus in a movie and I guess in real life.

As for Josh, maybe he was the best actor of the bunch they tested. It is just that he looks so much younger than Jennifer. She looks like a full grown woman, and he looks more like the teen he is supposed to be. He would have matched well with hailee maybe since both are teens in real life, but I am not sure I could see Jennifer as katniss falling for Josh as peeta. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Old April 4th, 2011, 8:09 pm
Fourth Year

I don't think Josh Hutcherson looks anything like Peeta's description in the book. Maybe with blonde hair he'll look okay but I'm not sure. I can definitely see Liam Hemsworth as Gale though. Of course, as long as both of them can act and they capture the characters properly then I'm sure they'll be fine

The main problem for me is that all the actors look healthy and well fed, obviously, but I imagined the characters to be skinny because they don't get enough to eat. That can't really be helped though

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Old April 4th, 2011, 8:34 pm
First Year

i kinda hope this isn't true.

http://m.deadline.com/2011/04/toldja...-hunger-games/

Old April 4th, 2011, 10:19 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentcat View Post

Unfortunately, deadline is usually right and they posted that on Friday. Today it's official.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movi...-triangle.html

I am pretty disappointed. I am sure Josh is a good actor since he was decent in Bridge to Terabithia. It's just that physically I can't see Josh and Jennifer as having any kind of sexual chemistry as Peeta and Katniss. I could have pictured Josh with Hailee actually or someone younger but not Jennifer. She would have matched better with Hunter or Lucas at least physically. Jennifer looks so much more mature than Josh, who appears more like her younger brother rather than a love interest. I could have only seen Josh as Peeta if someone younger was cast with him as Katniss.

I know they can change hair color, but I also can't see Josh as the blond haired blue eyed Peeta. I think they better just keep him as is unless they do a great bleach job. I will do my best to keep an open mind. We weren't privy to the screen test, so maybe he did have amazing chemistry with Jennifer that will surprise me.

I can't comment on Liam since I have never seen him in anything. At least he has the physical height of what I would picture Gale to be.

I am still getting over the shock of this casting news.

Old April 4th, 2011, 11:12 pm
Registered Animagus

I kinda like Liam Hensworth... he has that tough guy look for Gale. The problem that fans can't see about Liam Hensworth, hence the negative comments from all over the net, is he has been in a soap opera and a romance movie (Last Song). Hunger Games has romance, but it is so much more than that. We haven't seen what Liam can do with this type of movie.

Therefore, I am supporting him in this movie.

Josh.... well, I can't see it. Yet. Guess that will have to wait.

Old April 5th, 2011, 12:45 am
Second Year

Quote:
It's just that physically I can't see Josh and Jennifer as having any kind of sexual chemistry as Peeta and Katniss.
I do agree that it's hard to imagine these actors having any sort of romantic chemistry but I hope we're wrong. They both seem to be legitimate actors so I have faith that they'll be able to pull it off.

Old April 5th, 2011, 3:05 am
Sixth Year

I'm having a hard time seeing any of the three lead actors in these roles. I'll have to wait and see them in character I guess.

Old April 5th, 2011, 3:50 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
I do agree that it's hard to imagine these actors having any sort of romantic chemistry but I hope we're wrong. They both seem to be legitimate actors so I have faith that they'll be able to pull it off.
That is what I am counting on as well- the fact that both Jennifer and Josh are supposedly strong actors. Ultimately I do think how well they can act will supersede any discrepancies appearance wise. It is just that with so many options, I can't believe they could nt find people that could act and also at least somewhat resemble the character descriptions at least to some degree.

It is going to be a tough sell, but maybe they will surprise me. At least I hope so. Looking at the hg boards, many of the hard core fans are upset at the casting news. I can't say I blame them. I just feel lucky that with hp, the casting was always so spot on.

Old April 5th, 2011, 7:11 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
The problem that fans can't see about Liam Hensworth, hence the negative comments from all over the net, is he has been in a soap opera and a romance movie (Last Song). Hunger Games has romance, but it is so much more than that. We haven't seen what Liam can do with this type of movie.
Every actor has to start somewhere, so I really don't buy into the "but he's been in a soap opera" argument that a lot of people are throwing about. Having said that, though, I still can't see him as Gale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana View Post
I'm having a hard time seeing any of the three lead actors in these roles. I'll have to wait and see them in character I guess.
I feel the same.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old April 6th, 2011, 12:19 am
Sixth Year

Some HG fans have tried to do photoshop on Josh. I don't know, I still think they should keep his natural coloring.

http://hungergamesmovie.org/852/hung...eta-and-gale/#

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion