Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Foul Language in DH

Old July 31st, 2007, 1:32 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Foul Language in DH

Everyone seems to have loved Molly's line. It felt awkward to me, isn't that funny? I didn't mind the other swearing at all, and didn't feel strong language was out of place at that point, I just didn't like the line.

The scene in the kitchen when everyone else was displaying Harry's naked body was HILARIOUS.

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2007, 3:00 am
First Year

Well... if someone was going to threaten my children, I wouldn't exactly be a happy camper either.

Plus, their 17! 17-year-olds i think are allowed to foul mouth some time. I love Molly.

"Everyone dies. Everyone... The End." - Becky. The sad, unfortuate end to a uprising story... read this great quote and others at a Mild Shade of Perfection to learn about it's high-speed ending that will leave you in tears.

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." - Sirius Black
Old July 31st, 2007, 9:23 am
First Year

Some of you seem to think 'arse' is a censored version of *** but that's what they really say in Britain. IMO, it works really well with the British accent and when I read where Hermione said that, I could hear Emma Watson voice in my head.

Old July 31st, 2007, 9:29 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrose View Post
The foul language seemed too forced. like she was trying to prove how "grown up" the book/characters are, especially since there wasn't nearly as much foul language in the previous books. It just seemed to come out of nowhere.
Eh? I don't remember ever reading actual curse words in the books before. I mean, we'd get a random "damn" or "effing", but other than that, she was always just describing actions and rewording offensive language. I was actually quite surprised when Mrs. Weasley called Bellatrix what she did, because it was the only time in the entire series when we've seen that word in print. I also think that if you ask any mother, they'd probably have similar things to say to someone who wouldn't mind offing their child. As for the rest of the language, it wasn't much more than Ron's normal foul mouth (he's normally the perpetrator), besides calling Draco a b**tard a couple of times.

Overall, I don't think it felt forced at all... I thought that it fit in with the fact that they were in the middle of a war, with tension running rampant and tempers soaring.

Old July 31st, 2007, 10:17 am
First Year

I didn't mind the swearing. It was a good detour from the usual 'Ron said something that made Hermione yell 'Ron!!!'', or 'Harry heard Ron say something he wouldn't dare say in front of Mrs. Weasley.'. And besides, the words themselves included as swearing weren't that bad--you hear much worse things on tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
The scene in the kitchen when everyone else was displaying Harry's naked body was HILARIOUS.
Agree with that. Poor Harry!

Old July 31st, 2007, 12:44 pm
Fourth Year

Loved the language, apart from Ron with his "effing".

"Effing NO Harry, I'm not staying on this effing trip any longer because I want some effing food, not this effing rubbish that Hermione makes, and im effing leaving right now to get some proper effing food ".

Old July 31st, 2007, 2:34 pm
First Year

hahah it was great! I mean come on we all swear in rl! And i think Mr Weasly was being polite with that line, i would have said a lot of others things

Old July 31st, 2007, 2:58 pm
Fifth Year

i wasnt bothered about all the "effing" used, its been used in some of the previous books. Mrs Weasleys one made me laugh, i wasnt bothered by it at all, on the contrary, i loved it!

"The tank is empty let it dry,
I'm suffering.
A passion ending,
So the world ceases turning."
Old July 31st, 2007, 3:00 pm
Third Year

Yeah I didn't find it rude or anything, some situations require 'stronger' language... And as people have said they aren't kids anymore.

Old July 31st, 2007, 3:01 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Bless him, i would have hated that! But still, i hope they include it in the film

"The tank is empty let it dry,
I'm suffering.
A passion ending,
So the world ceases turning."
Old July 31st, 2007, 3:08 pm
First Year

Quote:

Yee i didnt caught it at 1st because i was reading it while i was half a sleep, but i did yesterday made me laugh so hard!

Old July 31st, 2007, 3:19 pm
First Year

When you read so many books involving wise old dwarves as I do, you sort of get used to swearing. I, in my sixteen-something years of life, only remember cursing out loud twice, once an accident and once I didn't realize it was "bad" until I said it in front of my teacher. I was fine with cursing, especially since it was only a few cases of it. I did find the "Merlin's saggy left..." and "Merlin's most baggy Y-fronts" to be a bit awkward, since we've heard/read "Merlin's beard" as the worst "wizard curse" in the others.
Speaking of The Seven Potters scene, remember something... To put on Harry's underwear they must take theirs off... Imagine Harry wearing Fleur's undergarments...

Old August 3rd, 2007, 5:31 am
Third Year

I didn't really notice swearing, so it didn't distract me. I know that some people like to belive soldiers do not swear, but a war story which didn't suggest it would be far less realistic, and subsequently less emotionally involving. These are not Peter Pan and the Lost Boys fighting Captain Hook. I take the language to be just another way of ratcheting up the sense of the war. By "saving" some language for the last book, JKR retained its power.
I guess I can understand someone who doesn't notice how many real people speak might be startled, but not distracted.

Actually, Molly's line is probably an allusion to one of the Alien films where Sigorney Weaver, in a maternal mindset in defense of some children from the Alien, uses the same epithet as she finishes it off. The fact that it is not normal Molly-speak underlines how everyone is stepping up (or down?) from their normal lives to help Harry fight Voldemort, and defend their children. It is poetic that a mother should get a wand in during the finale.

Old August 3rd, 2007, 5:45 am
Second Year

I think this use of language is there to show that Harry is an adult now and has really taken on the tasks of a man. He is no longer at Hogwarts and his experiences are scarier and much more dangerous than ever before. The language reflects Jo's departure from the innocent realm of Harry Potter the young boy in SS/PS and is now in the world of Harry Potter the grown man.

btw, I think the actual examples of foul language were done excellently.

Mrs. Weasley use of a certain word that rhymes with SNITCH toward Bellatrix and i'll give you a hint, it's not WITCH
and Ron's use of a certain word that rhymes with PLASTERED toward Draco, I was literally jumping for joy

Old August 3rd, 2007, 6:46 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntricateLogic View Post
In the past, JK has said that her editors wouldn't really let Harry or Ron curse. However, in this book, the boys have dirty mouths. Even Hermione and Mrs.Weasley let a few choice words out. It doesn't really bother me, but I thought it was weird that there was so much in this book.
I liked it, made them more human. To me at least.

Old August 3rd, 2007, 6:54 am
Second Year

Maybe it's cuz I'm a teen, but I think there is something seriously wrong with late teens not swearing to be honest

Old August 3rd, 2007, 7:52 am
Third Year

I didn't mind the swearing at all. As a matter of fact, I enjoyed it in Molly's case! Anyway, why are people frustrated over a couple of words?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanabobo567 View Post
I did find the "Merlin's saggy left..." and "Merlin's most baggy Y-fronts" to be a bit awkward,
C'mon! That part was hilarious! I couldn't stop laughing.

Old August 3rd, 2007, 8:04 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanabobo567 View Post
When you read so many books involving wise old dwarves as I do, you sort of get used to swearing. I, in my sixteen-something years of life, only remember cursing out loud twice, once an accident and once I didn't realize it was "bad" until I said it in front of my teacher. I was fine with cursing, especially since it was only a few cases of it. I did find the "Merlin's saggy left..." and "Merlin's most baggy Y-fronts" to be a bit awkward, since we've heard/read "Merlin's beard" as the worst "wizard curse" in the others.
Speaking of The Seven Potters scene, remember something... To put on Harry's underwear they must take theirs off... Imagine Harry wearing Fleur's undergarments...
I was trying not to while reading it, and I'm trying not to now.

Old August 3rd, 2007, 8:42 am
Banned

Molly's "you *blank*" came at the perfect moment while defending her daughter and surprising the reader by showing her fighting!!!..... and bellatrix for that matter!!

Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:54 am
Fourth Year

Yeah I really thought it suited the moment. I can totally understand why even someone like Molly would swear in a situation like that. I know Jo always talked about wanting her characters to swear, it isn't used for the sake of it, it just makes the dialogue more realistic. I was pleased when I saw she had started doing it.

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Emma Watson

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives