Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

The best possible ending?

Old September 28th, 2004, 4:34 am
Sixth Year

I don't think that Harry dying would be a good ending, like a lot of you guys think. I think that a good ending would be for him to live, and to vanquish Voldmort. Then Harry could live for something more then just defeating a Dark Lord.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2004, 1:06 am
Third Year

I think Harry will live but be very close to death from the battle with voldemort.I think Snape will somehow save Harry's life repaying the life debt owed to Harry's father.I keep thinking back to ss/ps in Harry's first potions class when Snape gives his speech about putting a stopper in death.

Old October 3rd, 2004, 4:28 am
Sixth Year

Harry and Voldemort are fighting at the MOM. Harry is trying to get to the veil room, but doesn't make it. So Harry runs into the bell jar room. He has a head start, so when Voldemort appears, Harry rushes him and pushes him into the bell jar.

Then he pulls Tom out as a baby. As Tom is a baby, there is no Voldemort anymore.
Voldemort doesn't exist anymore.

Harry finds the baby a loving home and becomes the secret keeper for the baby. No one can tell the baby about Voldemort, or tell him who he really is. Maybe there can be some kind of spell that makes people forget the name Voldemort anyway.

Man1: I heard that Harry defeated You know who.

Man 2: Yeah, it is good that he defeated you know who. But..I forget ol' you know who's name. What was his name?

Man1: That's weird....I've called him you know who for so long I forgot what it was he called hisself....he is dead now and that is what matters....

Tom grows up and has a loving family, so he has a second chance at life and becomes the person he should have been.

Old October 3rd, 2004, 7:26 am
Third Year

My fantasy ending is:

LV is overcome by the LOVE and willingness to SACRIFICE in HP and perishes. No one else is even hurt. All the DE have their memories erased and are reprogrammed to do good.

HP & Company sail off into the sunset after graduation with all top marks & 7 Outstanding NEWTS each.

DD will retire to the seashore to write his memoirs. McG will become headmistress. Hagrid will recieve private tutoring from Hermione and graduate from Hogworts by testing out. Lupin will become the permanant DADA teacher, he will learn to make his own potion and take 1 day off every month which he will spend in the shrieking shack his new home. Winky will quit drinking and she and Dobby will have the first free born house elf.

Oh and Mr. Weasley will win the lottery and retire to play with muggle artifacts.

Old October 3rd, 2004, 7:49 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Harry injures Voldemort using Gryffindor's sword, Voldemort falls through the veil
Buckbeak eats Wormtail
Dobby marries Winky
Harry pairs up with Ginny
Ron pairs up with Hermione
Neville pairs up with Luna
McGonagall becomes headmistress of Hogwarts
Neville becomes Potions Master at Hogwarts
Harry and Ginny become dragon wranglers
Hermione becomes an unspeakable
Ron works for the ministry in muggle artifacts
Arthur Weasley becomes MoM
Remus Lupin gets cured

Sometimes dreams do come true

Last edited by ComicBookWorm; October 4th, 2004 at 5:33 am.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 7:56 am
First Year

I think:
1. Harry should become DADA teacher after his 7th year
2. Tom Riddle will be separated from Lord Voldemort (Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader) and the heir of slytherin, and the heirs of the other houses will re-unite Hogwarts
3. DD will retire and spend his days relaxing on a tropical beach
4. The MoM will be sorted out and Arthur Weasly will be recognised for the valuble member he is
5. Hagrid will get private tutoring (yes, I know that was said before, but I agree that would make a nice wrap-up for him)
6. Hermione will get into politics and become head of the part-of-the-ministry dealing with magical creatures that have intelligence and their rights (house elves, centaurs etc.)

And all the other characters will live wonderful lives and do good important things and the world will be rid of serious evil forever

Old October 3rd, 2004, 8:00 am
Fifth Year

for there not to be one but...... it will have to end somtime so i would want it to end where no more of the charaters weve grorwn to love die.

Old October 3rd, 2004, 8:35 am
Fourth Year

[hollywood ending] Harry lives and marries ginny or hermione or parvati, and has a fruitful life.
[Action ending] Harry to die along side voldemort...to be one.

[My ending] For harry to defeat voldemort in a bitter battle where heavy casualties are lost on both sides, and for harry to seclude himself from the rest of the world...sorta like moody and frodo

Old October 3rd, 2004, 9:54 am
Hogwarts Graduate

You know what bugs me about any fandom? The fans. Geez, you guys are brutal. "Kill him off!"

Killing Harry off is NOT the best possible ending. ESPECIALLY if it's a frodo-ish one. You say he'll be re-united with his parents and Sirius and "live" happily ever after. GARBAGE. Think of all the people who died for Harry, and had him as their only last thoughts. It would be an insult to their memories if he was euthanized in such a manner. Do you really think Harry's parents died just to save the Anti-Voldemort weapon? No, they died so that their kid could have a life, as any loving parent would do. As did Sirius.

As for dying in battle, after the prophecy, I don't really see this happening. As far as I'm concerned, it will be a total win or total loss. Not some politically correct, new age "balancing the forces of good and evil" ending.

So what IS the best ending? The "happily ever after" ending I think is not only likely, but best for all the characters. After the war, the characters will need to draw from each other to recover and survive.

Before you all go screaming that I'm just another idiot in denial looking for a fairy tale ending, lemmie say that I know some real Harrys in my life. One of them would be a former soldier, current cop, who's dedicated his life to teaching martial arts so that people will be more confident in the face of danger and able to defend themselves. He does have his own unhealing wounds, both physical and mental. He's seen entire cities of people melted by chemical weapons. But that was no reason for him to make the best of the life given to him. He's been through more hell than I can list here, and yet he lives a happy, cheerful life. He has two children which he is fiercely protective of.

The best ending for both Harry, and the audience, is one where they are alive to experience the aftermath of the battle. It is the ending where they pick up the pieces and move on. Everyone has their scars. I'm sure we'd all take a bullet to save someone we cared about, if the situation came up. But not everyone will get that chance. Most of us have problems in life. But the healthiest thing for any of us to do is make the best of what we have, and move on until we die of old age.

Obviously, overcoming one's battle scars is not the sugar-coated "castle in the sky", but it still can be "happily ever after". It's healthiest for the characters, and happiest for the readers. It also honors the last wishes of Harry's parents, as well as Sirius.

Also, let me remind you that Harry hates fame. Would he really want to die some super-heroic death, where statues are built in his honor for people to gawk at and pigeons to poop on?

Last edited by Polychrome; October 3rd, 2004 at 10:04 am.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:19 am
Banned

It's found that Neville is the kid who the Dark Lord should've been after. So Harry tries to kill Voldy, but fails according to the prophecy... Harry dies.. Neville comes out as a hero as he kills Voldy..

Dumbledore then announces the new headmaster and goes off for a world tour..

Old October 3rd, 2004, 11:12 am
Fourth Year

If any of us could formulate the best possible ending we wouldnt be able to post it here, as we'd be too busy writing our own tales.

Old October 3rd, 2004, 5:22 pm
First Year

I'd like, "And they walked through the barrier to muggle world knowing they'd all acomplished something, if not justice for the wizarding world,". Something along those lines, or maybe a Hermione/Harry ending... I dunno, I suppose she'll suprise us like Jo always does.

Old October 3rd, 2004, 5:27 pm
Secret Keeper

I would love a cryptic ending, one where we have to look through out the whole last book really hard to work out what happens right at the very end. I don't mean the way the struggle between Harry and Voldemort ends but a less important part of the book that still keeps us on our toes. How would JKR end the series and what would be the best ending, I really could not say with exact detail.

Old October 3rd, 2004, 5:41 pm
Fifth Year

if harry lives, he gets with Luna and either plays Quiddich or teaches DADA.

or else Harry kills V but is mortally wounded, and then reunited with his parents and everyone else who dies (probably alot!), or maybe at the end of time, like a Christian afterlife type deal.

Old October 30th, 2004, 4:34 am
First Year

you know, Ive seen this a couple of times and its starting to sound truish... The DADA position is always open. That way you could have an ending where Harry is shown to be good enough to be the DADA teacher by beating voldy, DD gets to stay as headmaster and this would allow him and harry to be close and not compete for "whos best". You could tie up a bunch of threads by just aiming the conclusion at that point...

Best ending for me? For Harry to beat voldy by being better, not luckier or trickier, everythinge else is fluff. My biggest worry is that I will read the entire series just to have Harry win by a lucky punch or die heroicly when no good enough reason is given for him to die. What a waste that would be.

I will say though, I will be disappointed if she kills off Harry. Ive seen many a writer ruin an otherwise excellent book by killing someone off for the sake of "drama". It takes a strong writer to keep someone alive and make it dramatic and interesting.

With the way these books are progressing there is plenty of room for an exciting, dramatic, ending without needlessly throwing away major characters. Ive seen that movie (cliche) way to often.

We have been given no clear reason why Harry cant just kill voldy and live on (happy or not). It said "either" not both.

Course old voldy could just shove Harry through the arch while muttering "if you miss him so much why dont you join him you negative little brat"...

Old October 30th, 2004, 5:52 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imsirien
I'll cry if it turns out to be a dream. To me, that would be the worst possible ending because I really dislike reality. Anyway, I think it would be a good ending if Harry died....but only if he took Voldie with him. Something like the ending to the Last Herald Mage Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey. If any of you have read it, you'll know what I mean.
The prophecy says that neither can live while the other survives. So at least one has to die. It doesn't say that one has to live and one has to die. Therefore Harry could sacrifice himself to get rid of Voldie.
I agree!
Harry makes the sacrifice and takes his own life in order to rid the Wizarding race of Voldemort.

But thats not the BEST ending. the best ending would be for Harry to live and become Minister of Magic AND an auror and have his parents come back to life and Siruis come back as well... and for Harry to get together with Luna and Ron with Hermione... but it'd be too typical to have a happy ending, and the way the books have been written, i just can't see the ending being anything but sad. Exept for the "fact" that Hermione and Ron admit their everlasting devotion to each other at the end, and get married and have children. To make up for Harry's death, of course....

Last edited by Selene Sedai; October 30th, 2004 at 6:00 am.
Old October 30th, 2004, 11:12 am
First Year

I know this is impossible, as she ruled it out, but it would be very nice to see Hermione and Draco getting together...but never mind. I would have to say a good ending would be Harry, Dumbledore, Lupin and the rest of the DA and OoTP surviving and all of the DA becoming Aurors (except Neville-he becomes Minister for Magic, hee hee) All of the Weasleys surviving and either Fred or Geogre becoming Headmaster at Hogworts (after Dumbledore retires) but I don't think we can count on the real ending being very happy :sob:

Oh a dream would be very intresting way to end, though it would be a bit cheap on JK's part

Old November 1st, 2004, 1:29 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkThunder
If any of us could formulate the best possible ending we wouldnt be able to post it here, as we'd be too busy writing our own tales.
That's a good point.

Old November 1st, 2004, 1:38 am
First Year

The best ending, in my opinion, would be for Sirius to still be alive, Harry to defeat Voldemort, and then go live with Sirius finally. (And get Sirius's name cleared) But the chance of something like that happening is very slim.

<center> <TABLE STYLE="filter:shadow(color=#35b5ff strength= 3)glow(color=#35b5ff strength= 5)"><TR><TD>"Yeah, Quirrel was a great teacher, there was just that minor drawback of him having lord Voldemort sticking out of the back of his head." ~Harry

<font color="white">
</TABLE></font><TABLE STYLE="filter:shadow(color=hotpink strength= 3)glow(color=hotpink strength= 5)"><TR><TD>"Now, if you two don't mind, I'm going to bed before either one of you come up with another clever idea to get us killed --- or worse, expelled." ~Hermione
<font color="white">
</TABLE></font>
Old November 1st, 2004, 2:33 am
First Year

Honestly I would like to see Voldemort win not because I want him too simply because it's not what everyone is expecting and we all know that with Harry Potter you have to expect the unexpected.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies