Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Comments on: Forum Suggestions

Old December 20th, 2005, 7:09 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Comments on: Forum Suggestions

Well, of course I know this is a Harry Potter board, that's why I'm here. But there is even a folder for off topic chatter which is why I asked...that and I don't understand how the whole bandwidth thing works.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2005, 5:20 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

When I start posting in a thread that is several pages long, I usually look at the first five or six posts to see exactly what the purpose of the thread is. I noticed that when staff members start new versions, the last few posts from the previous versions are shown, but not the first few. So I wanted to know if it would be possible to show the first few posts of the original thread when a new version is started.

Old December 28th, 2005, 8:38 pm
Professor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell
When I start posting in a thread that is several pages long, I usually look at the first five or six posts to see exactly what the purpose of the thread is. I noticed that when staff members start new versions, the last few posts from the previous versions are shown, but not the first few. So I wanted to know if it would be possible to show the first few posts of the original thread when a new version is started.
Usually when a new version of a thread is started it's because there have been at least 500 posts in the previous version, which also usually means that discussion has developed significantly from the original few posts. We quote the last few posts because subsequent versions of threads are continuations; quoting just the first few posts would be like starting the thread over rather than continuing it. However, most multiple-version threads have links to the previous versisons, so it's not hard to just go back and re-read the first few posts of the previous version.

Old January 7th, 2006, 7:49 am
Zonko's Employee

Is there any way to add the "Edit Avatar" option to the menus along the top?

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.

Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!
Old January 8th, 2006, 1:06 pm
Second Year

Could we have some kind of sorting procedure? On the official site I got picked as Gryffindor, but it would be nice to have a system in place here and have fan-fic competitions etc. betweens houses, or forums for individual houses, which only members of that house can enter.

xI I xxxOwl me to coordinate battle tactics, or just copy this into your signature.

My army thus far. Feel Free To Recruit Them.

*-I'^'I-*^o!O^,,>^-^,,*(''')*>(',',')<<,',',',',',*><>,',<>,,>">,^*<~

This post was submitted by Lord Kalypso, proud member of
Old January 8th, 2006, 1:10 pm
Toodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Kalypso
Could we have some kind of sorting procedure? On the official site I got picked as Gryffindor, but it would be nice to have a system in place here and have fan-fic competitions etc. betweens houses, or forums for individual houses, which only members of that house can enter.
The staff have said before that COS will not have any form of sorting or house divisions.

Old January 18th, 2006, 7:06 pm
Seventh Year

I mentioned this yesterday to Jessica but thought I had best throw it out into the open before posting anything about it in DP:

I propose doing a qualitative survey in The Daily Prophet designed to find out why so many of us are setting up Harry Potter websites, forums, RPGs etc. There are now so many out there compared to 1 year ago, supply greatly out strips demand but we all love to make our own HP sites/forums/RPGs, I am intrigued as to why and would like to know what my fellow members have to say on the matter. I think this would be best in Daily Prophet because obviously website advertisments are posted there and therefore the correct audience would be reached.

I basically wanted to know if I would be allowed to do this or not, as Daily Prophet is not a discussion area so things like this wouldn't normally go there

Thanks!

Tiiiiiime tooo, saaay gooooooodbyeee!
Old January 19th, 2006, 8:05 pm
Sixth Year

I wonder what the staff thinks about placing a link to the "International Magical Location Device" thread on the CoSforums index page...? People at that thread seem to think it's a good idea, but no staff member has commented on whether it's possible or not. This is pretty trivial, but I thought it would be cool.

Old January 19th, 2006, 9:54 pm
Genius Loci

I'll see what TheWizard says

Old January 21st, 2006, 11:59 pm
Second Year

It would be really helpful if when threads get deleted, then maybe a Moderator can send us an owl with the reasons why, it would be a lot easier for the thread creators and the mods. I know that there is a thread where you can ask, but for those of us who don't visit these forums that often, it'd be great if we could take a quick peek at our owls instead of debating over whether or not the reason was justified with a mod.

Old January 22nd, 2006, 12:04 am
Formerly Known as 82

Many times threads are closed just because they are duplicates. People will most of the time put links up. If you truely dont know why the thread was closed (no links, absolutly no explination) you can owl a mod and they can give you the answer.

Just here to mess with your brain, it's all very innocent I swear *Pokes*
Old January 22nd, 2006, 12:43 am
McMugwump Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameow
It would be really helpful if when threads get deleted, then maybe a Moderator can send us an owl with the reasons why, it would be a lot easier for the thread creators and the mods. I know that there is a thread where you can ask, but for those of us who don't visit these forums that often, it'd be great if we could take a quick peek at our owls instead of debating over whether or not the reason was justified with a mod.
We don't have time, I'm afraid. We close many, many threads every day and it would be too time consuming for us to send the threadstarter a message to tell them why their thread was closed.

In general threads are deleted after 24 hours, so if a member isn't active in that time there's not a lot we can do.

Lunch was six dollars and thirty-one cents at the Lamplighter Inn, that's on Highway Two near Lewis Fork.
That was a tuna fish sandwich on whole wheat, slice of cherry pie, and a cup of coffee.
Damn good food. Diane, if you ever get up this way that cherry pie is worth a stop.

Old January 23rd, 2006, 5:50 am
Sixth Year

Sometimes when people quote me, I notice disgusting typos. I go back yo edit my post, of course, but the embarassing typos still show up in the quote. Is there any way it could be so that edits show up in quotes?

Old January 23rd, 2006, 7:04 am
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhgrt
Sometimes when people quote me, I notice disgusting typos. I go back yo edit my post, of course, but the embarassing typos still show up in the quote. Is there any way it could be so that edits show up in quotes?
I'm afraid such a function could be used for evil ends. Like deleting or rewriting parts in a way that makes the quoter look like an idiot.

Old January 23rd, 2006, 7:18 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
You could try the online spell checker prior to your post...Spell check. This link can also be found on the Notice Board, The Forum Rules #4.

You can copy and paste your entire post to be checked...it's a very handy feature.

For instance, I took your post, inserted it into the spell checker---which found 2 typos--'yo' and 'embarassing'; The spell checker corrected the two words, and here's the results:
Quote:
Sometimes when people quote me, I notice disgusting typos. I go back to edit my post, of course, but the embarrassing typos still show up in the quote. Is there any way it could be so that edits show up in quotes?

Last edited by kingwidgit; January 23rd, 2006 at 7:24 am.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 8:47 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
I copy my posts into an e-mail sometimes and hit Spellcheck. Of course, sometimes I don't, and the typos stay in the quotes.

I routinely fix misspellings in things I quote when I notice it, so the person won't be embarrassed.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It happens everyday, and people only really notice it if every other word is misspelled (which I have actually seen!). Even the smartest people here will switch letters around sometimes in the hurry to type out their thoughts. It's human.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old January 30th, 2006, 7:49 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth
I'll see what TheWizard says
Any word? (Sorry for nagging, I'm just curious )

Old January 31st, 2006, 8:24 am
McMugwump Supreme

TheWizard has a list of things to do about as long as his arm.

Just be patient.

Lunch was six dollars and thirty-one cents at the Lamplighter Inn, that's on Highway Two near Lewis Fork.
That was a tuna fish sandwich on whole wheat, slice of cherry pie, and a cup of coffee.
Damn good food. Diane, if you ever get up this way that cherry pie is worth a stop.

Old February 1st, 2006, 2:54 am
Sixth Year

Okay. I'll try not to be obnoxious. Sorry

Old February 1st, 2006, 12:41 pm
TheWizard

Added.

~ http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services