Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (with spoilers)

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the play and book?
Awesome! Both of them. 2 5.26%
The play is great, but the story doesn't work in book format 4 10.53%
I've lots of emotions on core characters that must not be named 11 28.95%
Mwah... meh... 17 44.74%
The book is awesome, can't wait to see the play! 8 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 20th, 2016, 8:14 am
Sixth Year

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Doubtful since there weren't any for the textbooks or The Tales of Beedle the Bard. It's merely a script, not a full-blown novel.
Looked into it, and I found this article here. It looks like the bookstores are looking into it. Unfortunately, where I live, there are no Books-a-Million stores, just Barnes and Noble... so hopefully Barnes and Noble will go for it. I did see a sign in their window last weekend. Odyssey Bookshop looks like they're definitely doing a midnight release.

Time will tell. If there's a midnight release, I'll be there. If it isn't available until 8 AM, I'll be there then.

http://www.hypable.com/harry-potter-...-party-events/

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2016, 10:51 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
Looked into it, and I found this article here. It looks like the bookstores are looking into it. Unfortunately, where I live, there are no Books-a-Million stores, just Barnes and Noble... so hopefully Barnes and Noble will go for it. I did see a sign in their window last weekend. Odyssey Bookshop looks like they're definitely doing a midnight release.

Time will tell. If there's a midnight release, I'll be there. If it isn't available until 8 AM, I'll be there then.

http://www.hypable.com/harry-potter-...-party-events/
Thanks for the update. I won't be attending though as I'm planning on buying the final edition.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old March 21st, 2016, 4:59 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Thanks for the update. I won't be attending though as I'm planning on buying the final edition.
I guess I'm out of the loop. I didn't know there would be a final edition v. what will initially be released. Or I'm just too lazy to read more carefully about it. Oh well, I'll wind up buying them both. I'm that pathetic.

Regardless, I am truly looking forward to it... only 132 days and 2 hours to go.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
Old March 22nd, 2016, 4:49 pm
Third Year

Quote:
I guess I'm out of the loop. I didn't know there would be a final edition v. what will initially be released. Or I'm just too lazy to read more carefully about it. Oh well, I'll wind up buying them both. I'm that pathetic.

Regardless, I am truly looking forward to it... only 132 days and 2 hours to go.
Yes, there will be two different editions! The one getting published on July 31st is the 'Special Rehearsal Edition', which will be the script as it will stand before previews start. During the preview shows some changes are deemed to happen, so later on (a date hasn't been announced) a Definitive version of the script will be published.

And yes, I'll for sure get both of them. And there's no question about release parties, they WILL happen. There's a reason why the release date is July 31st at 00:01 a.m. - I'll watch the play in London on the 27th of July, so i'll stay around for the release parties that same weekend!!! I'm so excited.

"You said to us once before that there was time to turn
back if we wanted to. We've had time, haven't we?"
Old March 23rd, 2016, 5:49 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhaps View Post
Yes, there will be two different editions! The one getting published on July 31st is the 'Special Rehearsal Edition', which will be the script as it will stand before previews start. During the preview shows some changes are deemed to happen, so later on (a date hasn't been announced) a Definitive version of the script will be published.

And yes, I'll for sure get both of them. And there's no question about release parties, they WILL happen. There's a reason why the release date is July 31st at 00:01 a.m. - I'll watch the play in London on the 27th of July, so i'll stay around for the release parties that same weekend!!! I'm so excited.
I'm excited too. I'm a teacher, and I have a countdown on the white board by my desk (129 days!). I've managed to get about half of my students to start reading Harry Potter. Those who are, are excited. Those who aren't think I'm crazy.

I just noticed too that the book will be 320 pages long. That's pretty large - a lot longer than I would expect a play to be.

Old March 28th, 2016, 8:46 am
Third Year

Quote:
I'm excited too. I'm a teacher, and I have a countdown on the white board by my desk (129 days!). I've managed to get about half of my students to start reading Harry Potter. Those who are, are excited. Those who aren't think I'm crazy.

I just noticed too that the book will be 320 pages long. That's pretty large - a lot longer than I would expect a play to be.
Good that you are getting the kids on board!!

In regards of the page count, we do have to keep in mind that this is a play in two parts, so double the page count of any normal play. I also think this may not be the final count? Maybe that's the length of the script the cast is working with, but once it is fitted into book format it may change? Who knows how advanced in the editorial process they are.

Old April 12th, 2016, 8:28 pm
Member of the Order

o man...between Fantastic Beasts and Cursed Child, this place is going to explode this summer.

*chuckles ominously*

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old April 13th, 2016, 4:59 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
o man...between Fantastic Beasts and Cursed Child, this place is going to explode this summer.

*chuckles ominously*
Isn't it sad, though? That even with all this new stuff going on this place is practically dead? Wish it was as active as it used to be!

Old April 16th, 2016, 6:36 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhaps View Post
Isn't it sad, though? That even with all this new stuff going on this place is practically dead? Wish it was as active as it used to be!
Yes... I remember the good old days when this place was alive and I could spend all day long on here. I even recognize the names of people I'm typing to here.

Proof that it was the anticipation that was the life of this fandom. Not knowing what was going to happen in the next Harry Potter book was what made the whole experience.

I am hoping with The Cursed Child and Fantastic Beasts, this fandom will rise again.

Only 105 days left until The Cursed Child.

Old June 5th, 2016, 5:11 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I promised myself I would not even try to check if the forums were active, or if people were discussing this or not...yeah, I could not help myself.

Here is what I need to get out of my chest, already got it out on face but, muggles are clueless about these, so no one can give me hope.

1.I am scared this new installment will ruin my favorite story.With this darkess will come from unexpected places, I am afraid they will go Kylo Wren on us.

2.okay, maybe I am over reacting, but I would not be pleased if Albus goes dark wizard on us, I am entitled to my opinion right ? I would hate that.Unless, the story told us about his doubts, the pressure of being Harry's son and how his friends, Rose and Scorpious help him find the right path...I am being cheesy , right? I dont care.

3. I am hoping, since according to Jo, it should be regarded as canon, that is stays true to the message that love is the greatest and most powerful magic of all.

There, those thought have been consuming my soul for the past days, finally voiced them out.

Its good this place is still around, even if not so active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phane00 View Post
Finally! There truly needed to be a forum for this play. Thanks for starting this.

First of all... to Ms. Rowling, No! Leave Harry alone. His story, and his family's story was done after book 7. That does not mean that I wanted to leave the Magical World, just leave Harry out of any stories other than the occasional nod. Stick to bits like what she did at Pottermore during the World Cup with Ginny Weasley and Rita Skeeter.
Good, I am not the only one who feels this way.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old June 8th, 2016, 12:29 pm
Seventh Year

For those that want the general plot to part 1 here it is

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sop22s

Warning though as it contains a lot of spoilers.

Old June 8th, 2016, 3:17 pm
Snidget of Champions

I wonder if it will be possible for the Internet to "#KeepTheSecrets" for more than a month and a half until the script book is released. We'll see!

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old June 9th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCat1 View Post

If that's true, it's pretty disappointing.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old June 9th, 2016, 7:56 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
If that's true, it's pretty disappointing.
Definitely. I have no words for this at all.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old June 10th, 2016, 1:23 am
Hogwarts Graduate

If all that is true, it cannot be considered canon, at least to me....its just too...can't find the right word.
Will have to wait to read it, to make a valid statement, but my expectations have been lowered , I hoped for something worth of the title"the eighth story "

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy

Last edited by Montse; June 11th, 2016 at 1:27 am.
Old June 10th, 2016, 1:54 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montse View Post
If all that is true, it cannot be considered cannon, at least to me....its just too...can't find the right word.
Will have to wait to read it, to make a valid statement, but my expectations have been lowered , I hoped for something worth of the title"the eighth story "
Same here. If I do read it one day, I'd consider it in the same vein as I consider The X-Files S10 in part. I'll basically ignore it.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old June 10th, 2016, 3:20 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCat1 View Post

Somebody explain to me what I just read here...

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old June 10th, 2016, 3:33 am
Ordo Lebes

If anyone wants in-depth spoilers for the second part of the play, you can read them on this tumblr:

http://victorkrvm.tumblr.com/post/14...child-part-two

I thought part 2 was even worse (except one part near the end that I liked). I'm personally not going to consider any of this as canon. This doesn't feel at all like Harry Potter.

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old June 10th, 2016, 3:55 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Part two didn't seem any better than the second. I guess since Jo didn't write it all entirely herself, I can understand why it turned out this way. If all this is accurate, of course. I knew there wasn't anything to get all excited about.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old June 10th, 2016, 6:18 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
Somebody explain to me what I just read here...
An incomprehensible mess that contradicts book canon.
Spoiler: show
Seriously, PoA established the rules for time travel. This takes those rules and smashes them with a daedric warhammer.

I believe in a hill called Mount Calvary.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies